Old 12-26-2002, 10:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Try now. I corrected the link. Sorry.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:08 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love e30 m3's....

I've contemplated about purchasing one for track use only.

Here's my buddy's e30:

Why was that guy yelling at the M3 driver to pull off? Sounded like he was a freaking jerk...telling the civic to get out of his way when they were no where near him.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:09 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gimme an EVO M3!
Old 12-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Banned

Im sorry but Ive hit harder turns and at faster speeds on the Jackie Robinson parkway than what i saw on that video.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:58 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by lou
Im sorry but Ive hit harder turns and at faster speeds on the Jackie Robinson parkway than what i saw on that video.
any of the scuffs on the concrete barriers yers???
Old 12-26-2002, 11:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Scooter
any of the scuffs on the concrete barriers yers???

no not in this car but in some of my previous cars maybe a slight scratch
Old 12-26-2002, 11:47 PM
Pro

Originally posted by chikai
Why was that guy yelling at the M3 driver to pull off? Sounded like he was a freaking jerk...telling the civic to get out of his way when they were no where near him.
I think it's because there is a rule-of-thumb with track-dayers that goes, "If you're approaching a turn and can see sombody right behind you in your rear view... and if you can see him right there again as you accelerate and exit out of that turn, pull aside and let him by; he is faster than you are."

Track marshals will pull you aside if you don't heed this. Everybody is there to run, not to be stuck in traffic behind some guy who thinks he can run and thinks his car belongs ahead of yours.

Not only did the E30 not observe this courtesy, but he lost it badly in traffic (to the point of possibly causing a multi-vehicle accident) on that last turn. He was obviously pushing it way beyond his experience. Any reasonable experience and he should have been able to save it much better than he did.

You also have to remember that 1) everyone is pumped-up on adrenaline, 2) the driver with the camera has been irritated by the track hogger for all this time by not being allowed by to run at his own limit, and 3) this potentially life-threatening sh!t just happened ahead of him from the E30 driver's own inexperience + stupidity.

And about the Civic... that was not a freeway nor was it professional drivers at Petit Lemans. Something that you may think qualifies as being close and tailgating on a freeway (or between professional drivers) is simply not done on a track day. You're forgetting that people are supposed to brake and swerve across the entire width of the track at the maximum adhesion that their tires allow. There is no room for "oh, I didn't see him next to me," or "I didn't see him in my blind spot," or "I couldn't react fast enough to him slamming his brakes." You stay damn far from somebody until it's obvious they're pulling aside and slowing down to let you by.

The whole deal with the closeness that professional racers can do is that they're all certifiably learned and practiced in racing technique to know what each and everyone is going to do and know that it is going to be done with reasonable precision. And they know when it is proper to squeeze somebody out (your speed, their speed, their acceleration, their grip), or to back off themselves when they know they have been squeezed out. The level of ability required for that degree of closeness is nothing like the minimal level required for participation in a track day.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:05 AM
Pro

The folling distances were OK.

The Civic SHOULD have let the M3s pass on that straight.

And, the driver of the M3 should not have hit the brake when oversteering