Ugh..."trusted" mechanics my ass...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
If I were you, I would have a completely independent mechanic do the safety check -- not the one who knows the current owner/who has the car on his lot/who lied to you with your last car.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
^ to me it doesnt seem like he lied ... just seemed to do a half ass kind a job ... but yes i agree go with an independent mechanic to make sure everything checks out and then still have your friend check it out just to maintain a good relationship
Old 12-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I would dump that cavalier asap. There's a car that will not get better with repairs, something else will break. I put a for sale sign on her, for 500-1000 over book and just fish.

I had a recent funny experience. I have a friend who just got out of college and he's an engineer, he bought a cavalier, about a year or two before the cobalt came out. I hadn't seen this guy for a few years, so we met up one night and as were leaving the bar for our cars, I said hey you should check out my "new" Acura. He absolutely loved it, said something to the tune of, you got one hell of a taste for cars. I asked how his was doing, apparently it has 30k mi, and is in the shop about once a month. He hates it, wish he had never bought it and than asked how much my 11yr old Acura was.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
If I were you, I would have a completely independent mechanic do the safety check -- not the one who knows the current owner/who has the car on his lot/who lied to you with your last car.
Thinking of taking the car to Honda for a checkup...don't feel like paying Honda prices though...our mechanic is covering it for free.

Originally Posted by VQPower37
^ to me it doesnt seem like he lied ... just seemed to do a half ass kind a job ... but yes i agree go with an independent mechanic to make sure everything checks out and then still have your friend check it out just to maintain a good relationship
car's already in the shop, and he said he's checked everything...just want to make sure my definition of everything anf his match up. He isn't a liar but yeah, he's the type of guy that gets things to work for the short time it's on his lot.

Originally Posted by Myxomatosis
I would dump that cavalier asap. There's a car that will not get better with repairs, something else will break. I put a for sale sign on her, for 500-1000 over book and just fish.

I had a recent funny experience. I have a friend who just got out of college and he's an engineer, he bought a cavalier, about a year or two before the cobalt came out. I hadn't seen this guy for a few years, so we met up one night and as were leaving the bar for our cars, I said hey you should check out my "new" Acura. He absolutely loved it, said something to the tune of, you got one hell of a taste for cars. I asked how his was doing, apparently it has 30k mi, and is in the shop about once a month. He hates it, wish he had never bought it and than asked how much my 11yr old Acura was.
Funny story, but the cav's actually not that bad when it comes to reliablity. it's all the tiny things that really piss me off, like the transmission that doesn't know how to shift below 4000 rpm, trim pieces that pop off over bumps, burnt bulbs, effed up HVAC, stuff like that. It's great for a point A to B car in good weather though.

Problem now is trying to get rid of the car. Mechanic doesn't have any space on the lot, nobody we know is looking for a new car. I was thinking of slapping a "for sale" sticker on it for the rest of the week, see what happens. maybe over the weekend take it to a couple of used-car dealerships, see what they say. you think $500 CDN is too much for a 92 cav, 207kms, with a minor front-end accident that's been repaired? Forget all the bitching ive done up to this point.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Accord's officially ours. Deal was done last saturday, and i've put about 1000 miles on it so far (I love christmas shopping ) Uncle's taking over the cav, so everything worked out. I'd post pics but i'm kinda technologically behind and don't have a camera. just finished detailing it though and it looks beautiful.