TSX - where is all the hype and speculation? (somewhat off topic)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 08:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX - where is all the hype and speculation? (somewhat off topic)

So what are folks thinking? Figured there would be a little more activity on this forum as the date of release draws near.

When do we think the TSX will be avail?

Any new insight for us to chew on as we wait for the launch this month?

I am seriously considering "ecomomizing" some and trading in my G35 (premium + sport package) for a TSX if it hits for sub $25K.

I really like what you get with the Accord EX @ 23K (4 banger), but sure would be nice to pay a few more K and get more power and some of the nice Acura'ish features like HID, auto dim mirror, leather, etc. ... am I dreaming here?

Getting the itch to come back to the Acura/Honda family ...
Old 01-01-2003, 08:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Press night at NAIAS

Looks like press time is 1/5/03 at 4:50pm for Acura ...

http://www2.naias.com/main.asp?sectionID=20

Anyone going with digital camera in hand
Old 01-01-2003, 08:24 PM
Banned

Sh1t! there's already a clubtsx.com, complete with growing members!
Old 01-01-2003, 08:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by torqueaholic
Sh1t! there's already a clubtsx.com, complete with growing members!
Yeah - and the action level is soooo low

I gotta tell you ... this board is awesome ... if not for any other reason being able to talk non-CL car talk !

I really think this TSX is gonna be a huge hit (IS300 killer and BMW 3xx killer) ... we'll see ... only Honda could pull this off with a 4 banger.

By the way - looks like there is no www.acura-tsx.com yet
Old 01-01-2003, 09:12 PM
Lucky Ole' Shamrock

Re: Press night at NAIAS

Originally posted by provench

Anyone going with digital camera in hand
actually i am going to opening night(yeah tuxedo), my cousin has some insiders and we got the charity tickets(exspensive) so i will be going opening night next week and i will be one of the first to sit in the tsx and i will have a camera too.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm very excited about the TSX...I can't wait to see what kind of performance it'll get. Especially if they release a 5 sp Type S.

I think Acura was trying to position the TL to compete with the 3 series but it's just too big. I'm happy to see them release a smaller sedan again. That will do a better job competing with the Bimmer. Now, if only they could release a TSX Type S that will perform as well as a 330...I'd be all over that.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: Press night at NAIAS

Originally posted by ccshamrock2004
actually i am going to opening night(yeah tuxedo), my cousin has some insiders and we got the charity tickets(exspensive) so i will be going opening night next week and i will be one of the first to sit in the tsx and i will have a camera too.
You are my hero

Feel free to overwhelm us with details ... upload/post before you go to sleep Sunday night would be cool
Old 01-01-2003, 09:30 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by provench
By the way - looks like there is no www.acura-tsx.com yet
Old 01-01-2003, 09:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by soopa
Go get em soopa

Domain Name: ACURA-TSX.COM

Administrative Contact:
Internet Services domains@axentric.net
Axentric
35 Fuller Rd.
Albany, NY 12205
US
Phone: 5185550000
Fax:
Technical Contact:
Internet Services domains@axentric.net
Axentric
35 Fuller Rd.
Albany, NY 12205
US
Phone: 5185550000
Fax:

Record updated on 2002-08-22 19:46:32
Record created on 2002-08-18
Record expires on 2003-08-18
Database last updated on 2003-01-01 22:33:18 EST

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.ZONEEDIT.COM 207.228.252.101
NS3.ZONEEDIT.COM 209.61.140.1
Old 01-01-2003, 11:12 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no hype.........why? Because it's Acura

Speculation? What is to speculate?

Release date........you'll see it in the spring of this year
Old 01-01-2003, 11:14 PM
Suzuka Master

me think TSX=stupid

IF AND ONLY IF ITS A 4 banger. why would anyone buy an overpriced accord???

sure it will sell but i dont think acura is going in the right direction. they should come up with something fresh and bigger to compete against the big boys like the GS430 and 5 series or something to edge over the G35. I mean this thing will sell like hot cakes no doubt but what about their future buyers for the tl,cl,rl. nobody likes to buy a luxery car when everyone can afford one!!!!!!!!!

if i was in the markert to buy a luxery car next year and i saw everyone driving an acura then i would go with a lexus or infinity...

you dont see lexus and infinity making mini mid size sport sedan, thats why they sell camrys and altimas...

sidemarker
Old 01-01-2003, 11:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by sidemarker
me think TSX=stupid

IF AND ONLY IF ITS A 4 banger. why would anyone buy an overpriced accord???

sure it will sell but i dont think acura is going in the right direction. they should come up with something fresh and bigger to compete against the big boys like the GS430 and 5 series or something to edge over the G35. I mean this thing will sell like hot cakes no doubt but what about their future buyers for the tl,cl,rl. nobody likes to buy a luxery car when everyone can afford one!!!!!!!!!

if i was in the markert to buy a luxery car next year and i saw everyone driving an acura then i would go with a lexus or infinity...

you dont see lexus and infinity making mini mid size sport sedan, thats why they sell camrys and altimas...

sidemarker
You know, I thought the same thing at first. Why would someone buy a 4banger when they could get a V6 Accord for the same price...but I realized, this is going to be a great car. It's smaller so it will compete better with the 3 series and the engine is small but for hp, it slots right between the 325 and 330. And the Euro Accord is designed to compete in quality with other European cars, so expect a lot of car in a little package.

You think Acura is going in the wrong direction...like this is the only thing they are doing. I see a redesign of the TL soon and the RL before too long also. They're not going in the wrong direction, they're fleshing out their model lineup.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by soopa
HAHAHHAHAA you boy!
Old 01-02-2003, 06:25 AM
| Infinitely Variable |

Originally posted by AcuraFan
You know, I thought the same thing at first. Why would someone buy a 4banger when they could get a V6 Accord for the same price...but I realized, this is going to be a great car. It's smaller so it will compete better with the 3 series and the engine is small but for hp, it slots right between the 325 and 330. And the Euro Accord is designed to compete in quality with other European cars, so expect a lot of car in a little package.

You think Acura is going in the wrong direction...like this is the only thing they are doing. I see a redesign of the TL soon and the RL before too long also. They're not going in the wrong direction, they're fleshing out their model lineup.
aaahahahahahahhahahahahahaahaHA
Old 01-02-2003, 08:26 AM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know... The US Accord EXV6 is already an excellent value at $25k, it's just a bit odd looking.

It just better come over with the 6MT and not just the slushbox.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

the 325 is a 6 cylinder. and i doubt you can compare the any 3 series to the TSX if its only going to be a 4 cylinder. tl and cl are the cars to compete against the 3 series, not the TSX.

i got my cl because i felt it was exclusive. not a lot of people drive acuras and the line up is pretty good. I mean what would you get for 25k, TSX or v6 accord? looks or decent looks with power?

sidemarker
Old 01-02-2003, 12:42 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

the 325 is a 6 cylinder. and i doubt you can compare the any 3 series to the TSX if its only going to be a 4 cylinder. tl and cl are the cars to compete against the 3 series, not the TSX.

i got my cl because i felt it was exclusive. not a lot of people drive acuras and the line up is pretty good. I mean what would you get for 25k, TSX or v6 accord? looks or decent looks with power?

sidemarker
TSX will have 220hp..... only the 330 has more. It's going to be a GREAT competitor for the 3 series and the is300s. You haven't done your research on this car and seem to be talking out of your ass. You don't seem to have a concept of market share and product variety. What does the smaller 4 door sports sedan have to do with the g35 and gs430?@# If you have been following what Acura will do in terms of it's product line you will see that the introduction of the TSX will open doors for Acura for the CL/TL/RL.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

sidemarker
The number of cylinders really don't have much to do with horsepower or performance. I mean, the Chevy Malibu has a V6...does that mean it's faster than an S2000 with it's "wimpy" 4 banger? ...The 325 with a 184hp I6 probably won't be quite has fast as a 200hp (or are they going to get 220hp out of it?) I4. IMHO
Old 01-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata
TSX will have 220hp..... only the 330 has more. It's going to be a GREAT competitor for the 3 series and the is300s. You haven't done your research on this car and seem to be talking out of your ass. You don't seem to have a concept of market share and product variety. What does the smaller 4 door sports sedan have to do with the g35 and gs430?@# If you have been following what Acura will do in terms of it's product line you will see that the introduction of the TSX will open doors for Acura for the CL/TL/RL.
how can the TSX compete against the 3 series/is300 if the cl/tl is competing in the same region? if you are in the market for a 30k car are you going to buy a 25k car? thats why i got the cl, its competitors include 3 series and the IS 300. acura has a good variety. looking for a sedan? the tl premium is only 28k. if you want a little bit more juice and sportier styling you can get the type s model 30k. RSX is a good little sport coupe too for 22-25k what about the hot MDX if you are looking for a SUV.

what acura needs is new blood. the G35 edges the tl/cl and there is nothing acura can throw at the gs430 or 5 series. maybe the RL can hang with the lower gs300 but thats about it.

From my understanding the TSX is going to be below the TL. either 1. the 04 TL will compete against the GS430 and 5 series and the TSX will take over the platform of the TL and thus can compete against the 3 series, but this is not likely. 2. 04 TL still competes against the 3 series and g35 and hopefully edges them out with a killer sticker price but the TSX will still have to be considerably lower than the price of the TL, which will probably be between 23-25k, this will probably happen. so how does the TSX compare to the 3 series and IS 300? thats like comparing the sentra to the accord. 220 hp? that cant even compete against the 240 hp accord! so what is honda/acura doing? they are competing against themselves. taking each other out. if anything they should have released the TSX between the accord and civic and beef up the accord! that way they could compete evenly with nissian. civic vs sentra TSX vs altima and accord vs maxima.

I believe the tl/cl has opened the door for acura. they should move foward and not backwards. remember they are a luxery company. people in the market for a luxery car want a nice big boat like our cl

maybe i dont like the TSX because it threatens my cl. who knows my thinking could be completely wrong. but i just dont like the fact everyone can afford an acura, makes me feel less exclusive.

sidemarker
Old 01-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

The number of cylinders really don't have much to do with horsepower or performance. I mean, the Chevy Malibu has a V6...does that mean it's faster than an S2000 with it's "wimpy" 4 banger? ...The 325 with a 184hp I6 probably won't be quite has fast as a 200hp (or are they going to get 220hp out of it?) I4. IMHO
i totaly understand. but if the car is going to be a sport sedan with 4 doors you need those extra 2 cylinders when you have a full house. otherwise the car will feel like a geo metro when you are driving

also with the 2 more cylinder you will have a smoother ride and you wont be limited with your speed. after 80 mphs the car is dead!

sidemarker
Old 01-02-2003, 01:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

... that way they could compete evenly with nissian. civic vs sentra TSX vs altima and accord vs maxima.

I don't think Acura needs to do anything to compete with Nissan...if anything, Nissan has been reengineering their line to compete with Acura. Why do you think they redesigned to Altima so drastically? Because Honda was killing them in the midsized market.

The Euro Accord (TSX) was designed to compete with the 3 series on it's own turf. The Euro market is very competative when it comes to quality...heck, one of the more popular midsized cars in Germany is the Ford Mondeo. The only way we could get it over here is as a Jag (the X-Type is based off the Mondeo)...that's how high their standards are for the "common" car. So bringing the Euro Accord to the US unspoiled will be a treat for us.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

If you bought the Acura for its exclusivity then you have made a mistake and should've bought a Benz e class, Bimmer 5 series or higher.

What I'm saying the CL/TL shouldn't be in the same class as the 3 series. Acura does realize this. Otherwise there would be NO reason to introduce the TSX. I think you are being short-sited when you compare two cars and JUST look at the HP #, which seems to be your only standard of comparison. I don't mean to be harsh but i think the strategy you are proposing would drive a car company into the ground. What market is there for a TSX between the CIVIC and ACCORD?????? Absolutely none. What market is there for Acura below the TL and the RSX? 3 variations of the 3 series, 1 variation of the is300, 1 variation of the Audi a4 coupe. Please do some research. I think it'll save you some needless worry. I have no idea where you've heard about the TSX taking over for the TL. There is absolutely NO indication of that whatsoever. Moreover, TSX is the bridge between the RSX and the TL.

Unfortunately, since Acura doesn't have anything else to go against the 3 series and so the CL/TL are there by default. The TL should really be go against the 5 series and the RL should be compeating against the 7 series. In terms of style/performance etc., everything CL/TL are really awkwardly put into comparisons with other cars. The CLS needs to be drop some weight or add more HP with a better interior and exterior to go head to head with the g35/330ci etc., The TLS really needs more HP and technology to catch the eye of potential BMW buyers looking for a 5 series.

What i think you are addressing the the situation that Acura is currently in with it's product cycle. The success of the TL/RSX/MDX has paved the way for more variety.....which i think you are saying it needs desperately.

This what Acura is setting itself up for:

-RSX is actually leading the way as there is no other alternative
but you'll see the new bmw/audi/vw being released soon so Acura is doing ok.

-TSX will compete for the BMW 3 series consumers. It offers more power and compariable luxury.

-CL(S) will still remain in an uncomfortable situation until Acura decides to make a move and really strip this car down and build something that is stronger/faster/lighter. But the introduction of the TSX opens up opportunities as Acura doesn't have to have a vehicle which NEEDS to have complete luxury or complete sport in one vehicle.

-TL(s) with a bump in HP and displacement along with the new design should be a good competitor for the 5 series.

-RL hopefully the IMA will be added so it has the power to go against the luxury flagship of other car manufacters.

how can the TSX compete against the 3 series/is300 if the cl/tl is competing in the same region? if you are in the market for a 30k car are you going to buy a 25k car? thats why i got the cl, its competitors include 3 series and the IS 300. acura has a good variety. looking for a sedan? the tl premium is only 28k. if you want a little bit more juice and sportier styling you can get the type s model 30k. RSX is a good little sport coupe too for 22-25k what about the hot MDX if you are looking for a SUV.

what acura needs is new blood. the G35 edges the tl/cl and there is nothing acura can throw at the gs430 or 5 series. maybe the RL can hang with the lower gs300 but thats about it.

From my understanding the TSX is going to be below the TL. either 1. the 04 TL will compete against the GS430 and 5 series and the TSX will take over the platform of the TL and thus can compete against the 3 series, but this is not likely. 2. 04 TL still competes against the 3 series and g35 and hopefully edges them out with a killer sticker price but the TSX will still have to be considerably lower than the price of the TL, which will probably be between 23-25k, this will probably happen. so how does the TSX compare to the 3 series and IS 300? thats like comparing the sentra to the accord. 220 hp? that cant even compete against the 240 hp accord! so what is honda/acura doing? they are competing against themselves. taking each other out. if anything they should have released the TSX between the accord and civic and beef up the accord! that way they could compete evenly with nissian. civic vs sentra TSX vs altima and accord vs maxima.

I believe the tl/cl has opened the door for acura. they should move foward and not backwards. remember they are a luxery company. people in the market for a luxery car want a nice big boat like our cl

maybe i dont like the TSX because it threatens my cl. who knows my thinking could be completely wrong. but i just dont like the fact everyone can afford an acura, makes me feel less exclusive.

sidemarker
Old 01-02-2003, 02:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

You summed up my position. Thanks Zapata
Old 01-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata
If you bought the Acura for its exclusivity then you have made a mistake and should've bought a Benz e class, Bimmer 5 series or higher.

What I'm saying the CL/TL shouldn't be in the same class as the 3 series. Acura does realize this. Otherwise there would be NO reason to introduce the TSX. I think you are being short-sited when you compare two cars and JUST look at the HP #, which seems to be your only standard of comparison. I don't mean to be harsh but i think the strategy you are proposing would drive a car company into the ground. What market is there for a TSX between the CIVIC and ACCORD?????? Absolutely none. What market is there for Acura below the TL and the RSX? 3 variations of the 3 series, 1 variation of the is300, 1 variation of the Audi a4 coupe. Please do some research. I think it'll save you some needless worry. I have no idea where you've heard about the TSX taking over for the TL. There is absolutely NO indication of that whatsoever. Moreover, TSX is the bridge between the RSX and the TL.

Unfortunately, since Acura doesn't have anything else to go against the 3 series and so the CL/TL are there by default. The TL should really be go against the 5 series and the RL should be compeating against the 7 series. In terms of style/performance etc., everything CL/TL are really awkwardly put into comparisons with other cars. The CLS needs to be drop some weight or add more HP with a better interior and exterior to go head to head with the g35/330ci etc., The TLS really needs more HP and technology to catch the eye of potential BMW buyers looking for a 5 series.

What i think you are addressing the the situation that Acura is currently in with it's product cycle. The success of the TL/RSX/MDX has paved the way for more variety.....which i think you are saying it needs desperately.

This what Acura is setting itself up for:

-RSX is actually leading the way as there is no other alternative
but you'll see the new bmw/audi/vw being released soon so Acura is doing ok.

-TSX will compete for the BMW 3 series consumers. It offers more power and compariable luxury.

-CL(S) will still remain in an uncomfortable situation until Acura decides to make a move and really strip this car down and build something that is stronger/faster/lighter. But the introduction of the TSX opens up opportunities as Acura doesn't have to have a vehicle which NEEDS to have complete luxury or complete sport in one vehicle.

-TL(s) with a bump in HP and displacement along with the new design should be a good competitor for the 5 series.

-RL hopefully the IMA will be added so it has the power to go against the luxury flagship of other car manufacters.
i said honda should beef up the accord and put the TSX between the accord and civic.

the market in the US is different from abroad. yes you do see a lot of mid size sedans in europe but in general people love bigger cars in the US.

IMO it is a better comparison between the tl/cl vs the 3 series in the US market. i could have bought a 330 or IS 300 but i went with the cl because it was well rounded. Also i feel that acura position was to sell luxery cars (exlusive). you have the TSX coming out and now everyone can afford an acura, why even have a divison from honda??? so if someone is in the market for a 25k car which would you choose, v6accord or TSX?

also i do not base everything on hp. the styling will probably better than the accord. if the TSX came out 3 years ago i probably would have got it instead of my accord v6. its a good size and i like the way it looks. think about how many people are in that situation, should i get a v6 accord or TSX? more power more room vs. decent power and nicer features? would this not hurt the sales of the v6 accord?

also i dont know anyone who bought a 3 series even considered getting a FWD i4 25k car!

look at 1st gen cl and the earlier tl, they were mid size cars that compete against the 3 series right? and how did they do?

The TSX will sell like hot cakes BECAUSE of the popularity of the new TL/CL-S and MDX in addition to the new RSX. they only got here because they went bigger better and faster. now they want to put something between everything, and to me that is a wrong step.

sidemarker
Old 01-02-2003, 03:26 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Well i'm sorry but i just don't think you are looking at it the right way. You are missing the point completely. What would the TSX compete with between the Accord and civic????? What is that market segment. What cars?

You seem to be stuck in some "domestic" car mode of thinking where the car NEEDS to be bigger to sell. Moreover, you don't have a grasp of something called the product cycle across multiple platforms. I don't want to sound like a complete a-hole here but it seems you are really putting some thought into this and all i'm saying is you need not be worried!

A couple of things you need to accept:

-TL will no longer compete with the 3 series as the TSX will take that position. No matter what you think....it just isn't so.

-Everything gets cheaper. Food, education, housing, clothing etc., If you want to be part of some exclusive club then be born to some King or prince of a oil producing nation. Then you can have a ferrari station wagon or Bentley SUV.

- TSX would not sell with a Honda badge on it. Here is where the US market is different. People want that notion of luxury. Additionally, you'll have access to certain things as an Acura owner that you wouldn't as a Honda owner.

i said honda should beef up the accord and put the TSX between the accord and civic.

the market in the US is different from abroad. yes you do see a lot of mid size sedans in europe but in general people love bigger cars in the US.

IMO it is a better comparison between the tl/cl vs the 3 series in the US market. i could have bought a 330 or IS 300 but i went with the cl because it was well rounded. Also i feel that acura position was to sell luxery cars (exlusive). you have the TSX coming out and now everyone can afford an acura, why even have a divison from honda??? so if someone is in the market for a 25k car which would you choose, v6accord or TSX?

also i do not base everything on hp. the styling will probably better than the accord. if the TSX came out 3 years ago i probably would have got it instead of my accord v6. its a good size and i like the way it looks. think about how many people are in that situation, should i get a v6 accord or TSX? more power more room vs. decent power and nicer features? would this not hurt the sales of the v6 accord?

also i dont know anyone who bought a 3 series even considered getting a FWD i4 25k car!

look at 1st gen cl and the earlier tl, they were mid size cars that compete against the 3 series right? and how did they do?

The TSX will sell like hot cakes BECAUSE of the new TL/CL-S and MDX in addition to the new RSX. they only got here because they went bigger better and faster. now they want to put something between everything, and to me that is a wrong step.

sidemarker
Old 01-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Instructor

I think Acura, in recent years, have been trying to carve out niches in the market. I think they're trying to be competitive but not directly so. They're putting out cars with FWD and decent power that are slightly lower priced than the perceived competition. I can't think of a comparable car in the TSX market. Maybe if the G20 and 318 were still alive.

I think Acura is trying to increase their sales while not drastically changing what they've been using in their vehicles. No V8, no RWD or AWD. To me, this is kind of boring. But maybe to Acura, this is good enough to sell the number of cars they want. It's just not very exciting compared to companies like BMW or Nissan in terms of the variety and different iterations of vehicles. Even Toyota is more exciting as a manufacturer. At least they have many more cars, trucks in their lineup.

Maybe it's the size of the company or production facilities.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, it may compare in price to the G20 and 318 but I think it will be a much better car. But if those two were still around today, the TSX would certainly raise the bar for the class.

I think the TSX will do more for the entry level luxury sedan segment than the RSX did for the pocket rocket segment (which is a 10 Best winner)

All I can say is, hope for a 3 series-killer, but expect another 4 door Integra. That way you can be excited but not be really disappointed...just in case.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:32 PM
__

Sidemarker! God you have it all wrong! I want to start by saying sorry for picking on you.

"why would anyone buy an overpriced accord???"
--u tell me. After all, u do own a CL.

"if i was in the markert to buy a luxery car next year and i saw everyone driving an acura then i would go with a lexus or infinity..."
--

"you dont see lexus and infinity making mini mid size sport sedan"
--Well since your comment didn't include price, can u define what category the IS300 and G35 are in? Audi's A4 is probably the best competitor price wise as it starts at 24k. BTW, BMW will soon have the 1-series and mb will bring over the A class, which will be in the TSX's price range, if not lower.

"i doubt you can compare the any 3 series to the TSX if its only going to be a 4 cylinder"
--:sqnteek: Just wait and see...

"i got my cl because i felt it was exclusive. not a lot of people drive acuras and the line up is pretty good"
--I feel sorry for you. I have heard of people buying cars for exclusivity, but never for the lineup.

"I mean what would you get for 25k, TSX or v6 accord?"
--First off we don't know what options will be available. Maybe the person who doesn't care about power, as much as they do image, style, and some luxury all at a great price. After all, the TSX is competing w/ the 325 where most of the owners are only driven by the name and status, not power.

"thats why i got the cl, its competitors include 3 series and the IS 300."
--hmm, what's worse, buying a car for the lineup or the cars that it competes with. "I bought my Acura TL because I like the MDX and the TL competes with the I35"

"who knows my thinking could be completely wrong. but i just dont like the fact everyone can afford an acura, makes me feel less exclusive."
--Yes your thinking is off....

"i could have bought a 330 or IS 300 but i went with the cl because it was well rounded."
--Interesting...

"think about how many people are in that situation, should i get a v6 accord or TSX? more power more room vs. decent power and nicer features? would this not hurt the sales of the v6 accord?"
--I don't think there are that many people in that situation. And who cars if it hurts the Accords sales or vice versa because the $$ goes to the same place!

"also i dont know anyone who bought a 3 series even considered getting a FWD i4 25k car"
--The people who buy the 325i want image, not performance (most). So they wouldn't notice FWD/RWD difference. And this i4 will probably outperform the 3's 6 anyway. The only problem for them will be image...Is Acura's name as high as BMW....don't answer that, let "them" decide.

"The TSX will sell like hot cakes BECAUSE of the popularity of the new TL/CL-S and MDX in addition to the new RSX"
--I didn't know there were so many people out there who buy cars for that reason. Acura’s are popular for their value, etc.

BTW it's “LUXURY,” not “luxery.” I normally don't correct others’ typos, but that was misspelled too many times. Once again, I apologize for picking on you bro...
Old 01-02-2003, 04:54 PM

IMO, the Acura TSX if for kids that want a RSX but the 2-door insurance is too high so they need a 4-door.

Acura can't get in through their thick heads that 4-cylinder and luxury car DOES NOT MIX!!! That is why Acura is a 2nd tier luxury brand. Lexus and Infiniti always offered 6 or more cylinder cars. Guess what, BMW and Mercedes have basically ABONDENED the 4-cylinder (well Mercedes is still selling that dumb C-240 and ridiculous hatchback). No more 318, only 6-cylinder cars to begin with.

I mean, how many re-badged accords do they want to sell? And the styling is another .

It should have been a Honda. This cheapens the Acura brand. This is confusing, they dropped the 4 cylinder 2.3 Cl and 5 cylinder TL and now bring this.

If Acura has a tough enough time getting 3-series shoppers to buy a CL (and a TL) how in the hell is the TSX gonna sway them? That is like saying people choose the RSX over a 3.
BTW, it's still FWD.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Instructor

I agreed. I hope that Acura doesn't sell a 4 cylinder car with the possible exception of the S2000 which I think should've been sold as an Acura. Like I mentioned before, I think Acura is just finding
segment voids and trying to fill them and make money that way. I just wish that Acura would start directly competing instead of running around the other luxury brands.

BTW, I think the MB C240 is a 6 cylinder sedan. The coupe is a 4 cylinder.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

If Acura has a tough enough time getting 3-series shoppers to buy a CL (and a TL) how in the hell is the TSX gonna sway them? That is like saying people choose the RSX over a 3.
BTW, it's still FWD.
But the RSX is a Japanese car...it feels, looks and acts like a Japanese car. I think the TSX will actually pull off the feel of a Japanese/German hybrid (it would have to if Honda wants it to compete in Germany). So I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I may end up eating my words, but for now I choose the road of optimism.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:11 PM

Oh, the RSX is the segment FWD sports car leader for sure. But it is not 3 competiton IMO. For instance, the cars the mags compare the 3 with are the TL/CL. The RSX goes against the Celica, Tiburon, etc. So the TSX goes against the?????

I really have no clue. And it looks like the previous gen Camry.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:27 PM
I hate the Mets

Im going to be ignorant here, but the TSX specs/pics I have seen thus far look disgusting...It is just so damn Blah...It makes me sick-I don't see any classy, sleek lines, no revolutionary technology - nothing to get worked up over, and it misses the "fun to drive" element completely--It looks like a dressed up kids car--If they are going after the BMW 3 series market--Good luck, I dont think BMW is scared...

I was so disappointed w/ this thing, but I do think it will sell, but at the same time it will drag down the Acura name.....kind of a pyric victory for Acura if you ask me...
Old 01-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh, the RSX is the segment FWD sports car leader for sure. But it is not 3 competiton IMO. For instance, the cars the mags compare the 3 with are the TL/CL. The RSX goes against the Celica, Tiburon, etc. So the TSX goes against the?????

Like Zapata said, the 3 series is compared to the CL/TL by default...they really aren't in the same class. You really need a sports sedan that's smaller, lighter and more nimble to compete with the 3...and that's what I'm hoping the TSX will be.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Im going to be ignorant here, but the TSX specs/pics I have seen thus far look disgusting...It is just so damn Blah...It makes me sick-I don't see any classy, sleek lines, no revolutionary technology - nothing to get worked up over, and it misses the "fun to drive" element completely--It looks like a dressed up kids car--If they are going after the BMW 3 series market--Good luck, I dont think BMW is scared...
I TOTALLY agree. The TSX elicits a big YAWN from me. I don't see it as anything revolutionary or exciting. It's just yet ANOTHER re-badged Accord. Not having a V6 is a big mistake IMO. It may have 220hp, but it will lack much needed (in this segment) torque. I am sure it will sell, but I am much more excited about the new '04 TL - Hopefully they pull off something pretty exciting such as AWD, 300 hp, etc...

You really need a sports sedan that's smaller, lighter and more nimble to compete with the 3...and that's what I'm hoping the TSX will be.
But with FWD, it will never truly compete IMO
Old 01-02-2003, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zoot
Sidemarker! God you have it all wrong! I want to start by saying sorry for picking on you.

"why would anyone buy an overpriced accord???"

BTW it's “LUXURY,” not “luxery.” I normally don't correct others’ typos, but that was misspelled too many times. Once again, I apologize for picking on you bro...

i cant believe i misspelled luxury. dont know what i was thinking there

well i thought accord and cl/tl=same thing. i was wrong. i still have the accord v6 and the cl-s is just perfect. definetely worth the price, 32k.

"if i was in the markert to buy a luxery car next year and i saw everyone driving an acura then i would go with a lexus or infinity..."
key word is "I" i guess you could call me cocky or pompous but im the type of person that wants to be different and i dont like it when people have the same thing as me. yes i know there are thousands of acuras out there but not as much as hondas...

"you dont see lexus and infinity making mini mid size sport sedan"
--Well since your comment didn't include price, can u define what category the IS300 and G35 are in? Audi's A4 is probably the best competitor price wise as it starts at 24k. BTW, BMW will soon have the 1-series and mb will bring over the A class, which will be in the TSX's price range, if not lower.

well the g35 325 cl/tl a4 are in the same category, with the price range between 28k-35k

"i doubt you can compare the any 3 series to the TSX if its only going to be a 4 cylinder"

i think its fair to say that a 325i has an edge over the TSX. its RWD, handles better, 187hp, and german engineered.

"i got my cl because i felt it was exclusive. not a lot of people drive acuras and the line up is pretty good"
--I feel sorry for you. I have heard of people buying cars for exclusivity, but never for the lineup.

read what you quoted. i never said that the line up was exclusive just the cl. and yes, currently they have a strong line up!

"i could have bought a 330 or IS 300 but i went with the cl because it was well rounded."
--Interesting...

My reasoning, 330 34k or IS 33k base model with no options or CL-S fully loaded with navi 32k. prices are only about a few thousand dollars apart. I like the cl-s power, comfort and options. 330 was nice but felt cramed. IS 300 handled great but did not like the altezza or the cheap interior.

"think about how many people are in that situation, should i get a v6 accord or TSX? more power more room vs. decent power and nicer features? would this not hurt the sales of the v6 accord?"
--I don't think there are that many people in that situation. And who cars if it hurts the Accords sales or vice versa because the $$ goes to the same place!

maybe the money goes into the same bank but what about future plans like the 8th gen accord. if TSX sales are interfering then what will be the fate of the v6 accord? its a little farfetched but you dont see any other car companies out their competing against themselves.

"also i dont know anyone who bought a 3 series even considered getting a FWD i4 25k car"
--The people who buy the 325i want image, not performance (most). So they wouldn't notice FWD/RWD difference. And this i4 will probably outperform the 3's 6 anyway. The only problem for them will be image...Is Acura's name as high as BMW....don't answer that, let "them" decide.

that is exactly right. people want it for image so how the hell is the TSX going to compare against the 325 if people "want that high image status" they are not going to buy an acura.

"The TSX will sell like hot cakes BECAUSE of the popularity of the new TL/CL-S and MDX in addition to the new RSX"
--I didn't know there were so many people out there who buy cars for that reason. Acura’s are popular for their value, etc.

i believe a few years back acura was in trouble. it was rare to see an acura on the street. integras were everywhere but not a lot of tl/cl/rl. When the 91 Legend came out people loved that car and for the next several years you would see more and more legends but after 4 years they decided to go small they discontinued the car and brought out the RL and tl 4cyl and 6 cyl. things went down hill. until recently when thet redisgned the tl. transformed the cl and redifined the integra. and now you see an acura just enough to know that the company is not played out. you see any 03 model and you say, "hey thats a nice acura" surrounded by all the hondas out there.

all im trying to say is that acura has done extremely well with the cars they have now. they need to add on top of it instead of between it.

im not saying its a bad car. im not saying they shouldnt market the car(beef up the accord and squeeze the TSX between the accord and civic). i just BELIEVE that the TSX can not compare against the 3 sereis in the US market and at the same time its competing against its own, the v6 accord...

sidemarker
Old 01-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Why do you keep saying "beef up the accord and squeeze the TSX between the accord and civic"??? Didn't they just beef up the Accord? Didn't they just do a major overhaul and increase the HP by 20%????

I don't think the TSX will really be inferior to the Accord, it will just be party to a different segment. Accords are family cars. The TSX will hopefully be a german flavored sports sedan. And just because it's FWD, don't discount it as a sports sedan. Given a choice, I would buy a FWD over a RWD. The drawbacks of RWD outweigh the benefits in my area of the country.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:29 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

You, cusdaddy, sidemarker,
Are all on crack. The car and it's competition is SO blantantly obvious. Whether it's being close minded or your crack habit, all three of you are COMPLETELY missing the point. But you will see in due time.

BTW.....325ci only has Torque: 175 ft-lbs and the TSX is reportedly to have 166ftlbs SO please spare me the Acura 4 banger having NO trq.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:52 PM
Drifting

all this talk of TSX...any new pics of it ???
Old 01-02-2003, 10:59 PM
3rd Gear

Ok I am confused. Some of you act like you have seen this car. Are there pics somewhere??or not?

Quick Reply: TSX - where is all the hype and speculation? (somewhat off topic)