TSX and IS300 test drives

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 08:29 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AcuraFan is correct. Some of you need to bone up on your common sense.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, not each Lexus is winner. When you look at the sales figure, only three models are really winners, and they are RX330, ES300, LS430. SC430 and GX470 are okay players I would say. But IS300 and GS300/GS430 are definitely losers, or at least one of the losers. The winners sell well not because they all have different look, but because they are selling what Lexus is good at-----comfort ride, smooth ride, and quiet ride. Anything that is not going through this route is not selling well. Because people have other choices when they are concentrating performance such as 3-series and 5-series. By the way, I can't see how BMW is going the non-family-resemblence route. Even without the BMW badge, I still can tell they are BMW vehicles no matter when. Look at Z4, 7-series, and upcoming 5-series and 6-series, they still maintain the typical BMW face.
They are not losers cause the GS and IS were the first JAPANESE sedans to lose/meet/beat the vaunted 5 and 3 series. They lowered Lexus's age target as they wanted. They made Lexus seem as a BMW option as well as a Benz option (whereas they were before). Next thing u know, Infiniti brings over the G35 and M45 cause they see people want BMW alternatives. What failure?
Old 06-17-2003, 05:35 PM

First, not each Lexus is winner. When you look at the sales figure, only three models are really winners, and they are RX330, ES300, LS430. SC430 and GX470 are okay players I would say. But IS300 and GS300/GS430 are definitely losers, or at least one of the losers. The winners sell well not because they all have different look, but because they are selling what Lexus is good at-----comfort ride, smooth ride, and quiet ride. Anything that is not going through this route is not selling well. Because people have other choices when they are concentrating performance such as 3-series and 5-series. By the way, I can't see how BMW is going the non-family-resemblence route. Even without the BMW badge, I still can tell they are BMW vehicles no matter when. Look at Z4, 7-series, and upcoming 5-series and 6-series, they still maintain the typical BMW face.
They are not losers cause the GS and IS were the first JAPANESE sedans to lose/meet/beat the vaunted 5 and 3 series. They lowered Lexus's age target as they wanted. They made Lexus seem as a BMW option as well as a Benz option (whereas they were before). Next thing u know, Infiniti brings over the G35 and M45 cause they see people want BMW alternatives. What failure?
Wow, talk about cyclical logic. 1Sicklex said the TSX should be a Honda because it's a Honda in Europe. Something to the effect of "It's a Honda over there so it should be a Honda here as well." My point is: the reason why a car of that quality is a Honda in Europe is because there is no Acura over there. If Honda had an Acura division in Europe, we could very well have seen a Euro Acura TSX. A car cannot be sold under the Acura nameplate in Europe if there IS NO Acura nameplate over there. So again I say, the NSX is a Honda in Europe...following Lex's logic, the American NSX should be a Honda too, right?
Wow, talk about cyclical logic. 1Sicklex said the TSX should be a Honda because it's a Honda in Europe. Something to the effect of "It's a Honda over there so it should be a Honda here as well." My point is: the reason why a car of that quality is a Honda in Europe is because there is no Acura over there. If Honda had an Acura division in Europe, we could very well have seen a Euro Acura TSX. A car cannot be sold under the Acura nameplate in Europe if there IS NO Acura nameplate over there. So again I say, the NSX is a Honda in Europe...following Lex's logic, the American NSX should be a Honda too, right?
Hell, they have the Honda S2000? Why not the Honda NSX? It's not like the Acura badge has done anything for it. People think "NSX" not "Acura".

Sitting in the TSX, I could not see justification of badging it an Acura. Our American Accord has just a beautiful interior.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:36 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
1SICKLEX... LOL

first off... I think all lexus look plenty alike...

the IS/GS look very much alike.

The ES/RX look very much alike... and the profiles of them all look the same.

Second... umm... arent Lexus's Toyota's in many other markets?? I think yes.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:56 PM

first off... I think all lexus look plenty alike...
Your entitled to your opinion. But, IMO, they look nothing alike, none of them. They seem to be trying to share that horizontal grill and the typical large Lexus headlights but that is about it.

Second... umm... arent Lexus's Toyota's in many other markets?? I think yes
Indeed, but I don't think u see my point.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:37 PM
4dr & I like it that way

lets not forget the TSX is NOT the euro accord exactly, the TSX has an upgraded interior as well as 40hp more than the euro, not sure about torque, and slightly stiffer suspension
Old 06-18-2003, 06:37 AM
Yeah..

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

Sitting in the TSX, I could not see justification of badging it an Acura. Our American Accord has just a beautiful interior.
Yep...and that's saying a lot for honda/Acura quality. Cause if interior quality was a must in order to put a premium name tag on a car, than Infinity's G35 would HAVE to be rebadged a Nissan. Or, using the interior quality argument, you could say that because the Accord's interior is so nice it should have been badged an Acura.

<--Begin Rant
Basically us Honda/Acura owners are spoiled. We, in most cases, spend so little time dealing with quality issues or other problems with our cars that we go and find other things to complain about...like.....basically anything. It's only got 200hp?...it should have had 240hp. It's only got 240hp?......It should have had 260hp. It's got 280hp?....well it should also have AWD and a rocket launcher.....Oh and make sure you keep the price the same!! I'm not paying anymore for a Honda/Acura....but I want it to beat the competition at everything....but DONT up the prices!!
--End Rant>

Originally posted by Davediego
lets not forget the TSX is NOT the euro accord exactly, the TSX has an upgraded interior as well as 40hp more than the euro, not sure about torque, and slightly stiffer suspension
Some things that are different.

(1) It's got stiffer suspension.
(2) DIFFERENT interior. It seems some people think it has the same interior as the Euro Accord.
(3) Vehical Stability Assist
(4) 360 watt stereo system
(5) It's got less HP than the Euro Accord Type-S, but more torque and more aggressive gearing...which ended up making it faster.

It seems silly to me to be saying it should be a Honda here just because it's named a Honda Accord overseas. I think it's just that it's named an ACCORD overseas that people are having a hard time with it. If Honda called it something different over there...like maybe if they called it the Honda TSX...then people wouldn't be so upset. Basically Honda had to make a much more sporty and smaller car for Europe. They would never go for a bloated NA Accord. The NA Accord is a type of car that only NA has an insatiable appetite for, as reflected in the sales numbers.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:07 PM

Yep...and that's saying a lot for honda/Acura quality. Cause if interior quality was a must in order to put a premium name tag on a car, than Infinity's G35 would HAVE to be rebadged a Nissan. Or, using the interior quality argument, you could say that because the Accord's interior is so nice it should have been badged an Acura.
I think the G35 should have been a Nissan, hell with the same name, SKYLINE. I think that would have been awesome. The name Infiniti really does not benefit the car, cause the general public does not know or care what Infiniti is. Nor would the name Nissan have hurt any of the cars wonderul reviews. Whereas the TSX reviews have been average at best, thus hurting the ACURA name.

Take the ES 250 Lexus for example. It was a Camry with basically a L badge and Lexus never made that mistake again.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think the G35 should have been a Nissan, hell with the same name, SKYLINE. I think that would have been awesome. The name Infiniti really does not benefit the car, cause the general public does not know or care what Infiniti is. Nor would the name Nissan have hurt any of the cars wonderul reviews. Whereas the TSX reviews have been average at best, thus hurting the ACURA name.

Take the ES 250 Lexus for example. It was a Camry with basically a L badge and Lexus never made that mistake again.
What TSX reviews are "average at best"? What was it, Motor Trend (or Road & Track I can't remember) that rated it ahead of Saab and just behind MB? What about the glowing C&D review from this months issue? From where I stand, pretty much all reviews I've read range from above average to great.

I know you have some grudge against this car. And that's fine, to each his/her own. But only select few are going to grab their pitchforks and join you in lynching Acura for introducing this car. For the rest of us, it's a welcome addition to the lineup.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:11 PM

What TSX reviews are "average at best"? What was it, Motor Trend (or Road & Track I can't remember) that rated it ahead of Saab and just behind MB? What about the glowing C&D review from this months issue? From where I stand, pretty much all reviews I've read range from above average to great.
Or Forbes, or Money, or the first Car and Driver review, or the EVO review, or the Sports Car International review..

Name ALL the reviews. Not just the ones you want.
I know you have some grudge against this car. And that's fine, to each his/her own. But only select few are going to grab their pitchforks and join you in lynching Acura for introducing this car. For the rest of us, it's a welcome addition to the lineup.
I dunno, maybe it's the huge dual exhuasts, a pet-peeve of mine. They are dang near bigger than the 350Zs. Kinda like the silly 4 exhausts on a PONTIAC Grand Am or the new Maxima. M3s and M5s have quad exhaust....

oh well, I'll shutup.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:16 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,105 Likes on 2,708 Posts
M3s and M5s have quad exhaust....
HEY HEY HEY cmon now, you cant be dissin on those quad exhausts on the bimmers, 1) they are sweet as hell 2) they do serve a purpose

I think seeing dual exhausts on a neon (srt4) is more retarded then the TSX.

But i personally like the look of dual exhausts, lets the rear of a car look more balanced from an aesthetic PoV. But yeah some cars do just look ridiculous with them, specially the the super huge ricey duals.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Or Forbes, or Money, or the first Car and Driver review, or the EVO review, or the Sports Car International review..

Name ALL the reviews. Not just the ones you want.

I dunno, maybe it's the huge dual exhuasts, a pet-peeve of mine. They are dang near bigger than the 350Zs. Kinda like the silly 4 exhausts on a PONTIAC Grand Am or the new Maxima. M3s and M5s have quad exhaust....

oh well, I'll shutup.
...then there's the early Automobile Magazine review that said "what took so long?"

I'm just naming the reviews that contradicted your statement. If you make a blanket statement like that, you're going to get someone trying to prove you wrong. What I'm saying is, you can focus on the articles that support your side of an arguement...that doesn't mean there isn't just as many articles supporting the other side. For every article you site that give the TSX an "average at best" review, there is an article that says things like "Engine to copy, transmission to envy, craftsmanship to benchmark."

And if I remember right, that first C&D article liked the car...just not as a 3series fighter. I would definitely have not called it negative.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by sarlacc23
HEY HEY HEY cmon now, you cant be dissin on those quad exhausts on the bimmers, 1) they are sweet as hell 2) they do serve a purpose
I think that was his point. The M3 and M5 have them because they serve a purpose. The TSX looks silly because it doesn't need them. I guess that's why he's carrying on about the TSX as if Acura should be strung up because of this car.

I kinda like it. As you said, it gives some symmetry.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:53 PM
__

I think the first C&D article was just a preview....no test drive. Now most people here thought the TSX looked wimpy on paper....but it's the opposite when driven, which explains C&D's 2nd article on the TSX.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:14 PM

You got my point, THEY SERVE a purpose on M cars, thus they belong. Hell the Hyandai Tiburon has huge duals, its factory rice.
If I saw dual exhausts on a ES 300, I'd laugh my arse off. It doesn't belong. Even the A4s have these huge pipes.

Vettes have quads too.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:20 PM
Daily Driver

Originally posted by 7or8
It's only got 200hp?...it should have had 240hp. It's only got 240hp?......It should have had 260hp. It's got 280hp?....well it should also have AWD and a rocket launcher.....Oh and make sure you keep the price the same!!
I'll trade my CL right now for ANY car with a rocket launcher! Damn, that would be sweet for when I'm stuck in traffic! And AWD would be great for crawling over the smoking carcass of the car in front of me. Good call, that should be the next CL!
Old 06-18-2003, 07:01 PM
Yeah..

Originally posted by Aegean_Blue6
I'll trade my CL right now for ANY car with a rocket launcher! Damn, that would be sweet for when I'm stuck in traffic! And AWD would be great for crawling over the smoking carcass of the car in front of me...
ROFL!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:52 AM
Banned

Re: TSX and IS300 test drives

Originally posted by blackmagiCL_S
My fiance' is looking to buy a new 4 door car so we went out today and test drove the TSX and the IS300. I was SOOOOOOO disappointed in the TSX. It was very nice inside but so damn slow! Granted it was an automatic but it was very disappointing. I didn't get to see how well it handled. Anyone else feel that the automatic TSX is a slouch? Now the IS300 on the other had was a lot of fun to drive. The instrument cluster looked very cluttered to me but overall it was nice. Peppy and nice to look at. I got some nice tire squeel on a highway on-ramp (then I got scolded by the sales person). Next we'll test drive some BMWs. We looked at the A4 but didn't testdrive it. Anyone feel that we are missing out by not taking the A4 1.8T for a rip? I didn't really like the feel of the interior after being in the IS300. It seemed pretty bland. The TSX had the nicest interior by far. I really wanted to like the TSX but overall it seemed pretty weak to me.
Audi Bland Interior?! I couldn't believe I read that in the same sentence. Bland... Look at Honda's Interior. Very plain.

Audi is known to be the benchmark of interiors.

For power. I would say stock for stock the TSX and 1.8t A4 are about as quick. The CVT in the A4 might make it faster though due to the way it works. Once you chip it though, its much faster.

I think you should still drive it to compare. It handles very good with teh sport package. At least drive it with the sport package.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:08 AM
Instructor

I think Audis use great material in their interiors but I do not like their ergonomics, confusing controls and I think I've said it before, the red lit interior (it screams at you I think.)

I drove an A6 for 3 weeks in Germany and I just didn't like the way it looks and it's kind of hard to use the controls. It almost is a little bland despite great materials used.

But that's my opinion and I respectfully disagree with magazines that say the Audi interiors are benchmarks, maybe material used but that's it.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by dacura
But that's my opinion and I respectfully disagree with magazines that say the Audi interiors are benchmarks, maybe material used but that's it.
I agree. The interior materials are top notch...but the layout just rubs me the wrong way. It's German-practical but it just doesn't flow. Interior design can be an artform. But Audi has made it as bland as a high school mathbook (dry and boring and a little too busy). IMHO
Old 06-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by AcuraFan
I agree. The interior materials are top notch...but the layout just rubs me the wrong way. It's German-practical but it just doesn't flow. Interior design can be an artform. But Audi has made it as bland as a high school mathbook (dry and boring and a little too busy). IMHO
This is why you both drive Acuras not Audis. My controls are very easy and simple in my A4.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:59 PM
__

now we are back on the Audi interior discussion? Look what you did SilverBullet....
Old 06-19-2003, 01:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SilverBullet
This is why you both drive Acuras not Audis. My controls are very easy and simple in my A4.
It's not that the controls are too hard to use...it's that they look like they were put where they are by a business guy and not a designer.

Here's an example: I work in the webdevelopment team of a large corporation. On occasion, the corporate execs mandate that a page look a certain way but don't run it by the web designers. Those pages always look terrible. They may be functional but they look like crap. That's how I see Audi's interiors. The interior has nice materials, it's functional, but it has no asthetic design qualities.

Again, IMHO.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Zoot
now we are back on the Audi interior discussion? Look what you did SilverBullet....
Ha ha...ok, let's bring this full circle.

That's why I like the TSX interior layout. The materials are high quality and the presentation is very pleasing to the eye.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Zoot
I didn't start it! :P
Old 06-19-2003, 07:23 PM

I hate little buttons in cars and German cars always have tons of them.