Trying to sell my old Car after getting TSX. Got this suspecious email, any thought?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to sell my old Car after getting TSX. Got this suspecious email, any thought?

After getting my TSX and trying to sell my old CL via yahoo. Got this weird replied. Any thought?

1) why this guy need my address prior the purchase?
2) Why he is doing that for a client for a car around 6k?
3) via pay phone? why not used cell phone with callerID?

---------------------------
Frank hope you're doing well today?Concerning the purchase of your Car Acura 1997 CL,i have just called my client via voive phone here in order to arrange to meet you and view the car but he told me he is currently busy that he could not make it up to your place,but i told him the car is in good condition as i'm very sure that it is?please in order to make the whole process fast Just send me your full names as it will appear on the cheque and address where the payment will be mailed.i have to have all these informations so that i will be able to forward evrything my client today and the payment prepared immediately okay?
Frank,i tried your phone number via payphone but it was not going through okay?Please email me the info as soon as possible.
sholay
--------------

orginial email
Frank : Hi Sholay,
I am located at Central Jersey. If you are interested to see the car. please give me a call at (xxx)xxx-xxxxx, and we can arrange a time to see the car in person if you like it.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 03-17-2004, 08:25 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats a damn shady email...i wouldnt touch that with a 10ft pole.

Then again i could be wrong...
Old 03-17-2004, 08:32 PM
Racer

That has SCAM written all over it.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:08 PM
built for speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't continue contact with that one. No legitamate agent needs that kind of info. I smell a rat! You might even want to turn the info over to your local police.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:50 PM
10th Gear

It's a scam, my friend got the same thing when trying to sell her car.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Instructor

man, just reading that email pisses me off. this "sholay" guy pisses me off. like the others have said, stay away from that guy. "payphone"...that's just ridiculous.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Advanced

Scam!

I've seen those posted all over the net at different car forums. There has been a few at S2KI.com. What usually ends up happening, is the buyer sends a check for an amount over the purchase price, let's just say $5k over. Buyer agrees to pick up the car once the check clears. However, the buyer asks the seller to Western Union the extra $5k back to the buyer before the check clears. The buyer gets the $5k and the check never clears because it's a fake. I'm sure there are many variations of the scam though.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:16 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Ambient
Scam!

I've seen those posted all over the net at different car forums. There has been a few at S2KI.com. What usually ends up happening, is the buyer sends a check for an amount over the purchase price, let's just say $5k over. Buyer agrees to pick up the car once the check clears. However, the buyer asks the seller to Western Union the extra $5k back to the buyer before the check clears. The buyer gets the $5k and the check never clears because it's a fake. I'm sure there are many variations of the scam though.
exactly. Some will even take it one step further after you send the extra back. Then they say the can no longer buy the car at all and ask you to send the money back.

You do.

3 weeks later the check bounces and you owe your bank for the money you removed.

I'd have him send the check anyway then frame it :P
Old 03-17-2004, 11:14 PM
Don't listen to me.

Scam! don't respond back and only accept a cashiers check/money order or cash.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:21 PM
I am Ahab!

just an example
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=641985
Old 03-17-2004, 11:22 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: Trying to sell my old Car after getting TSX. Got this suspecious email, any thought?

Originally posted by helloha
Frank,i tried your phone number via payphone but it was not going through okay?

This gives it away for me. The guy has "clients" but is making calls from a payphone? Who uses payphones? .. other than drug dealers.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:18 AM
A-TSX enthusiast

Re: Re: Trying to sell my old Car after getting TSX. Got this suspecious email, any thought?

Originally posted by fdl
This gives it away for me. The guy has "clients" but is making calls from a payphone? Who uses payphones? .. other than drug dealers.

Sholay =
Old 03-18-2004, 08:36 AM
Yeah..

Originally posted by ortiz
Scam! don't respond back and only accept a cashiers check/money order or cash.
You have to even watch out for cashiers checks. The misconseption is that they are good as gold...but they're not...they may bounce as well. Some of the Nigerian scams actually use cashier checks.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:20 AM

this is good to know since i'm considering selling my lude...another thing i learned on this board
Old 03-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Instructor

yeah..
Thanks for you guys' help. I whould trade in the car with dealer when I got the TSX to avoid these kind of problems.

Another Scam I think:
----------------------------
this guy offer 20% off of what I am asking with Cash.
Then his phone number is fake. After I renewal my Ad, he is asking the same price with "Different Email address". hmmm
Old 03-19-2004, 12:28 PM
6MT Snob

I have sold 3 cars on ebay and had good luck.. also autotrader.com gets TONS of hits.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:47 PM
UK Spec

that's fucked at least i m not the only one getting those emails

about a month back when i had my lip and spoiler and foggies
up for sale

i posted my email on the net... now holy shit i still get spam like that
today...
Old 03-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Instructor

wow. I can't believe that guy even replied to my email....
If you are that BIG.. Don't use the pay phone...LOL

--------------------------
Hello Frank,
I'm an international agent that deals in various cars of peope's choice ranging from used new,that has been my business for the past 10yrs both in europe and america and at times west africa.I have my client in america an he wish to purchase your car and personally i have told him that i have been to your domain to the car myself reason was that when i saw the car on the web i really love it and i feel if the car is not in good condition you wouldn't say you wanna hail it out ok?I assured him as i have been assuring people like that in my previous business all over the world without me testing the vehicle at all simply because all the cars that i have been purchasing on yahoo here are very good indeed.So Frank i see no reason for not to carry on with this transaction Because my client has been giving me headache seriously that i should send forward the name of the seller of the car to him to enable him prepare his cheque for the payment.please without wasting anytime Frank just send the your full name as you want to appear on the cheque so that it can be mailed to you this week unfailingly,also i have contacted the shipper he told me that as soon as am ready he come up and pick the car up immediately.
ok?
thanks,
sholay
-------------------------------------------
Old 03-22-2004, 10:29 AM
2004 TL Owner

payphones still exist? :p
Old 03-22-2004, 07:30 PM
I am Ahab!

just let him send the check then ignore him. I'd rather waste a scammers time then ignore him.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Yeah..

He wants you to give him an address? Give him the address of your local police station.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Battousai the Manslayer

Originally Posted by 7or8
He wants you to give him an address? Give him the address of your local police station.
Good Idea..
Old 06-30-2004, 07:31 PM
Advanced

Better yet, call your local FBI satellite office and request the address (and agent's name) who is head of internet(/international?) fraud for your state's main office.

voila~
-----------------------------
Dear Sholay,

Please send the check and a letter explaining your intent to

Frank XXXXXX
C/O: Agent John Smith
<my state fbi street>
<my state fbi city>, <my state fbi state>
<my state fbi zipcode>

Thanks!
Frank.
-----------------------------
Old 06-30-2004, 10:07 PM
I make Boom Boom in

this is definitely a scam. a friend of mine got a check from some guy in England over the purchase price of a car he was selling, but thankfully he already sold it to someone else. But anyways, so my friend emails the guy and tells him that he doesn't want his check and can mail it to him. The shady buyer insisted that my friend just cash the check then wire it to him through western union and he also gave a story about why he can't take the check back (like he can't take back a check that was issued by him (the shady buyer). So my friend calls the bank where the check was issued (somewhere in Alabama) and the bank told him it was a fradulent check. The banker then gave him the number to an FBI agent that was handling the case. My friend left a message with teh FBI agent but never got a return call. I guess the scam is so wide spread they are too busy to call back. So a few weeks after that, my friend gets an email from the shady buyer and gets a death threat email claiming the "black vodoo" was gonna find him and kill him in 3 days. Safe to say the threat never materialize. But this is DEFINITELY A SCAM.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:22 PM
I am Ahab!

Originally Posted by txathlete
this is definitely a scam. a friend of mine got a check from some guy in England over the purchase price of a car he was selling, but thankfully he already sold it to someone else. But anyways, so my friend emails the guy and tells him that he doesn't want his check and can mail it to him. The shady buyer insisted that my friend just cash the check then wire it to him through western union and he also gave a story about why he can't take the check back (like he can't take back a check that was issued by him (the shady buyer). So my friend calls the bank where the check was issued (somewhere in Alabama) and the bank told him it was a fradulent check. The banker then gave him the number to an FBI agent that was handling the case. My friend left a message with teh FBI agent but never got a return call. I guess the scam is so wide spread they are too busy to call back. So a few weeks after that, my friend gets an email from the shady buyer and gets a death threat email claiming the "black vodoo" was gonna find him and kill him in 3 days. Safe to say the threat never materialize. But this is DEFINITELY A SCAM.
lol I would've told him to bring me a pizza and some beer when he stops by
Old 06-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Originally Posted by tony4311
lol I would've told him to bring me a pizza and some beer when he stops by
Old 07-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by txathlete
My friend left a message with teh FBI agent but never got a return call.
Good, I would hope the FBI is working on more important things like, oh, I dont know, maybe protecting our country from terrioists?

Sorry, but this falls under the "buyer beware" or in this case "seller beware" group.

Never accept a check as a form of payment. I dont even accept a cashiers check. If they can get a cashiers check, then they should have no problem just bringing cash.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:17 PM
8th Gear

this is defly a scam. This is happening all over place anytime a high priced item goes up for sale somewhere.

sad thing is, people wouldn't be running the scam if it wasn't paying off.

-s
Old 07-09-2004, 03:43 PM
synthetic artifice

I took the buyer to the bank, he wrote a personal check, and the clerk verified his account had sufficient funds. They electronically transferred the money from his account into mine right then and there. Then I immediately signed over the title to him and had it notarized by the bank's notary. I think that's the best way to do it.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by tony4311
exactly. Some will even take it one step further after you send the extra back. Then they say the can no longer buy the car at all and ask you to send the money back.

You do.

3 weeks later the check bounces and you owe your bank for the money you removed.

I'd have him send the check anyway then frame it :P
HAHA you know what you should do. You should go through with this but tell him that you need 1k in cash as a deposit. Then when he asks for the money back you tell him that you already know that this is a scam and have called the cops already. that way you get to keep 1k cuz that shit is in cash. and chances are that dude will never contact you again.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ks112
HAHA you know what you should do. You should go through with this but don't send the 5k back. Then when he asks for the money back you tell him that you already know that this is a scam and have called the cops already. that way you get to keep 5k and chances are that dude will never contact you again.
Actually i am a retard there is no 5k if the whole check bounces. disregard my whole statment