The truth about child car seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
The truth about child car seats

I was talking to a friend about car seats, and I remembered this episode of the Daily Show where they had a statistician on. He was talking about how "common sense" policy decisions do not always driven by facts but rather by ideology. One of the examples was that reduced crime rate is in the US over the past several decades directly correlates with only one thing: the availability of abortions. So if that's what the facts show and one is against crime, they should support abortion. But obviously that isn't politically possible.

Another example he mentioned, and didn't elaborate on, was the efficacy of car seats. I only remember this vaguely, but I think he was saying that children car seats aren't really proven to save lives. This surprised me, and I Googled a lot on this, but everything that comes up just assumes that you need a car seat, they rank various car seats, they say car seats are great, but I haven't seen any raw data that shows clearly that car seats have reduced the number of deaths/injuries. It's kind of like the debate of whether lowering the speed limit on residential roads from 60 km/h to 40 km/h really saves lives, you have people who scream and yell "save the children!" and then you have people who quietly wonder "ok, but does doing this really help solve the problem?" but it's not politically correct to ask the question.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
lol, wut?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:47 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The economist who promotes this theory is Steven Levitt who authored the book "Freakenomics"
Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Um...huh????

Car seats don't save lives? What exactly are you supposed to do with a 2 year old in a car? Stick em in the trunk?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Vegas Bum

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
...I think that MP who is proposing to lower every speed limit in Ontario by 10km/h is an idiot!
Old 10-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts
Huh ? Do you even have kids?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by iTimmy
The economist who promotes this theory is Steven Levitt who authored the book "Freakenomics"
Yeah that's him. Does he actually make sense?

Huh ? Do you even have kids?
Oh I'm sorry. SAAAVE THE CHILDRUN!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 03:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
I was talking to a friend about car seats, and I remembered this episode of the Daily Show where they had a statistician on. He was talking about how "common sense" policy decisions do not always driven by facts but rather by ideology. One of the examples was that reduced crime rate is in the US over the past several decades directly correlates with only one thing: the availability of abortions. So if that's what the facts show and one is against crime, they should support abortion. But obviously that isn't politically possible.

You can't take an effect and make it the cause.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzWckYfZhbA
Old 10-06-2009, 03:43 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Yeah that's him. Does he actually make sense?

Oh I'm sorry. SAAAVE THE CHILDRUN!!!
He has some interesting ideas, I enjoyed his book and some of his speeches(he's done at least two TED talks), he also has a blog which can be interesting, but I don't think I would take what he claims too seriously with out a lot of independent research.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Another example he mentioned, and didn't elaborate on, was the efficacy of car seats. I only remember this vaguely, but I think he was saying that children car seats aren't really proven to save lives. This surprised me, and I Googled a lot on this, but everything that comes up just assumes that you need a car seat, they rank various car seats, they say car seats are great, but I haven't seen any raw data that shows clearly that car seats have reduced the number of deaths/injuries.
I think the reason for car seats was that they were properly sized to keep children from being ejected or tossed around in a collision, as children otherwise could be ejected or tossed about the interior even if restrained by the regular adult restraints.

Presumably all of our legislators and/or their staffs vetted hard numbers and data before enacting the various safety seat requirement laws!

Try Googling for "ejection," "child" and "safety seats."
Old 10-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
My child in a 5-point harness or this!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1yUl4dCK1GA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1yUl4dCK1GA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 10-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Bdog
My child in a 5-point harness or this!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1yUl4dCK1GA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1yUl4dCK1GA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
My kids all had car seats for that reason. Living now in a country where car seats are mandatory, but never used is interesting. Japan feels, as a culture, that a child is safest in the arms of an adult, so they have kids all over the place in a car. And before anyone throws things at me about cultural bias, spend time here and look at what people here do in cars (brush teeth, text, apply makeup, shave, read a book or newspaper).

But then again, the speed limits here were set in 1950, and have not changed (80 Km/h on their version of an interstate toll road), 60 Km/h or lower on smaller roads. So maybe the snail pace and a vehicle free for all is OK?
Old 10-06-2009, 05:11 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Op: Put down the bong.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Um...huh????

Car seats don't save lives? What exactly are you supposed to do with a 2 year old in a car? Stick em in the trunk?
Wait? Is that wrong?
Old 10-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I read Freakanomics. I'm a statistician by trade, and he does bring up interesting ideas regarding underlying factors for a variety of subjects. Interesting stuff, but only that. Its merely interesting.

The notion that correlation does not infer causation is a good thing to keep in mind while reading the book.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by Will Y.
I think the reason for car seats was that they were properly sized to keep children from being ejected or tossed around in a collision, as children otherwise could be ejected or tossed about the interior even if restrained by the regular adult restraints.

Presumably all of our legislators and/or their staffs vetted hard numbers and data before enacting the various safety seat requirement laws!

Try Googling for "ejection," "child" and "safety seats."
It all makes sense, but then I hear a reasonable-sounding guy say that he looked at the data and the evidence does not actually support the claim. I want to know what he bases this on.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Not just a smell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If someone sounds reasonable then it very well could be that the listeners aren't very reasonable.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Registered but harmless

It all makes sense, but then I hear a reasonable-sounding guy say that he looked at the data and the evidence does not actually support the claim. I want to know what he bases this on.
Ask the "reasonable-sounding guy," I guess.
My quick Google brings up support for car seats, like this: http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15043136, or this: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/Cars/rules/...te/806890.html.

BTW, "reasonable-sounding" people are the best con artists-- trust me on this!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 946 Likes on 515 Posts
My quick Google brings up support for car seats, like this: http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15043136, or this: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/Cars/rules/...te/806890.html.

That sounds reasonable.....

Old 10-07-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm the Firestarter

How does this sound:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/10/ma...REAK.html?_r=1

July 10, 2005
The Seat-Belt Solution
By STEPHEN J. DUBNER and STEVEN D. LEVITT
A Car-Seat Crash Test

On a recent Monday morning, nearly 20 police officers gathered in Clarkstown, N.Y., for a four-day seminar. They had assembled to fight one of modernity's great scourges: child deaths in motor-vehicle crashes. Each officer was given a 345-page training manual issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). At seminar's end, each would be certified as a ''child passenger safety technician,'' which primarily means that they would be experts in the installation and use of child car seats.

Why does it take four days to learn about car seats? Because any given seat is a tangle of straps, tethers and harnesses built by one of dozens of manufacturers whose products must be secured by the diverse seat-belt configurations of any passenger vehicle sold in the United States. According to the NHTSA manual, more than 80 percent of car seats are improperly installed.

So over the course of those four days, there were many questions to be answered. But one question about car seats is rarely even asked: How well do they actually work?

They certainly have the hallmarks of an effective piece of safety equipment: big and bulky, federally regulated, hard to install and expensive. (You can easily spend $200 on a car seat.) And NHTSA data seem to show that car seats are indeed a remarkable lifesaver. Although motor-vehicle crashes are still the top killer among children from 2 to 14, fatality rates have fallen steadily in recent decades -- a drop that coincides with the rise of car-seat use. Perhaps the single most compelling statistic about car seats in the NHTSA manual was this one: ''They are 54 percent effective in reducing deaths for children ages 1 to 4 in passenger cars.''

But 54 percent effective compared with what? The answer, it turns out, is this: Compared with a child's riding completely unrestrained.
There is another mode of restraint, meanwhile, that doesn't cost $200 or require a four-day course to master: seat belts.

For children younger than roughly 24 months, seat belts plainly won't do. For them, a car seat represents the best practical way to ride securely, and it is certainly an improvement over the days of riding shotgun on mom's lap. But what about older children? Is it possible that seat belts might afford them the same protection as car seats?

The answer can be found in a trove of government data called the Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS), which compiles police reports on all fatal crashes in the U.S. since 1975. These data include every imaginable variable in a crash, including whether the occupants were restrained and how.

Even a quick look at the FARS data reveals a striking result: among children 2 and older, the death rate is no lower for those traveling in any kind of car seat than for those wearing seat belts. There are many reasons, of course, that this raw data might be misleading. Perhaps kids in car seats are, on average, in worse wrecks. Or maybe their parents drive smaller cars, which might provide less protection.

But no matter what you control for in the FARS data, the results don't change.
In recent crashes and old ones, in big vehicles and small, in one-car crashes and multiple-vehicle crashes, there is no evidence that car seats do a better job than seat belts in saving the lives of children older than 2. (In certain kinds of crashes -- rear-enders, for instance -- car seats actually perform worse.) The real answer to why child auto fatalities have been falling seems to be that more and more children are restrained in some way. Many of them happen to be restrained in car seats, since that is what the government mandates, but if the government instead mandated proper seat-belt use for children, they would likely do just as well / without the layers of expense, regulation and anxiety associated with car seats.

NHTSA, however, has been pushing the car-seat movement ever further. The agency now advocates that all older children (usually starting at about age 4) ride in booster seats, which boost a child to a height where the adult lap-and-shoulder belts fit properly. Could this be a step in the wrong direction? In 2001, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety sent NHTSA a memo warning that its booster-seat recommendations were ''getting ahead of science and regulations'' and that certain booster seats ''did not improve belt fit, and some actually worsened the fit.''

If car seats and booster seats are shown in the FARS data to be no more effective than seat belts, might it be because so many of them are improperly installed? To find out, we contacted an independent lab that conducts crash tests. The idea was simple: compare properly installed car seats with properly used standard seat belts. We commissioned two crash tests: a 3-year-old-sized dummy in a car seat versus a 3-year-old dummy in lap-and-shoulder belt; and a 6-year-old-sized dummy in a booster seat versus a 6-year-old dummy in lap-and-shoulder belt.

The conditions of the test ensured that the seats would perform optimally: they were strapped to old-fashioned bench-style seats (which give a flush fit) by an experienced engineer (who is presumably more competent than the average parent). The dummies in the seat belts were also positioned optimally, sitting upright and flush.

The chore was gruesome, from start to finish. Each dummy, dressed in shorts, T-shirt and sneakers, had a skein of wires snaking out of his body to measure head and chest damage. The pneumatic sled was fired backward with a frightening bang, simulating a 30 m.p.h. frontal crash; on impact, the dummy's head, legs and arms jerked forward, fingers flailing in the air, and then the head recoiled.

Within minutes, we had some data. Though the lap-and-shoulder belts rode too high on the 3-year-old dummy, the head- and chest-impact data were only nominally higher than that for the 3-year-old in the car seat; according to federal standards, most likely neither child would have been injured. In the second test, the 6-year-old in the booster and the 6-year-old in the seat belt produced virtually identical numbers. Again, most likely neither one would have been injured.

These tests don't actually prove much. The sample was too small, the circumstances were too controlled and the sensors didn't measure neck or abdominal injuries, which child-safety advocates say are worse with seat belts. What matter are the crash data from the real world, where one 4-year-old in a lap-and-shoulder belt may find the shoulder belt so irritating that he puts it behind his back and another 4-year-old may be in a poorly installed car seat. And when it comes to real-world situations, the FARS data are extremely compelling.

So if car seats and booster seats aren't the safety miracle that parents have been taught to believe, what should they do? The most important thing, certainly, is to make sure that children always ride with some kind of restraint -- and, depending on your state, a car seat or booster seat may be the only legal option. On a broader level, though, it might be worth asking this question: Considering that Americans spend a few hundred million dollars annually on complicated contraptions that may not add much lifesaving value, how much better off might we be if that money was spent to make existing seat belts fit children? Some automakers do in fact make integrated child seats (in which, for example, the car's seat back flips down for the child to sit on); other solutions might include lap-and-shoulder belts that vertically adjust to fit children, or even a built-in five-point harness.

It may be that the ultimate benefit of car seats and booster seats is that they force children to sit still in the back seat. If so, perhaps there is a different contraption that could help accomplish the same goal for roughly the same price: a back-seat DVD player.

Stephen J. Dubner and Steven D. Levitt are the authors of ''Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything.''
Old 10-07-2009, 10:11 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,068 Likes on 767 Posts
Everytime I look at my daughter's car seat I get jealous. Why isn't my car seat that cool?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
My son is close to not needing the booster....Kinda looking forward to that.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Chewbacca is a wookie and lives on Endor. It does not make sense. if it does not make sense, then you must acquit.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:36 AM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
More importantly, has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TommySalami
More importantly, has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
I don't believe so.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:07 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/um5gMZcZWm0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/um5gMZcZWm0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 10-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Registered but harmless

Apparently Levitt's later (2006) research showed that car seats reduced injuries to kids in less serious accidents, but not in very serious ones. See summary in http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0904151633.htm and his actual research paper here: http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levi...ers/w12519.pdf.

So car seats are good for reducing injuries in less serious accidents, which probably are the majority of accidents. Levitt doesn't say we should stop buying and using the seats, obviously.

Another discussion of the car seat issue: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/womenf...8/article.html.

Make sure to install the car seats properly.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm the Firestarter

So it is a scam (for 2 years and older, obviously)... And we can't stop buying car seats, because we'll go to jail!
Old 10-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:49 PM
AZ Community Team

So it is a scam (for 2 years and older, obviously)... And we can't stop buying car seats, because we'll go to jail!

Car Seats vs lap/shouler belts vs lap belts, ages 2 - 6:

.... We find no apparent difference in the two most serious injury categories for children in child safety seats versus lap-and-shoulder belts. Child safety seats provide a statistically significant 25% reduction in the least serious injury category. ....
Yes, it's a scam (obviously). Why would we want to reduce child injuries in minor accidents? Those car seat lobbiests are scum-sucking bastards.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
It's a scam!!!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Yes, it's a scam (obviously). Why would we want to reduce child injuries in minor accidents? Those car seat lobbiests are scum-sucking bastards.
Looks like it depends what data is being looked at, and who looks at it. Children seats are not sold as a cure for minor injuries, we're told you must use it or your kids will die. If all they do is provide a "25% reduction in minor injuries" why aren't we informed that that is what they do? And would they be mandated by law if that's all they did? More importantly, would the $200/seat be better spent on a cheaper and more effective method of protection? Clearly the decision to legislate their use was based on the impression that they're supposed to save lives, when it looks like they don't. I think there's enough here for people to take notice and demand laws that are consistent with facts instead of gut feelings.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:53 PM
AZ Community Team

I've been in a minor accident with a child in the car - in a car seat. No injury. If it MAY have avoided an injury, $200 was a small price to pay (actually, at that time, the cost was probably more like $50).

I am now offically apathetic. My kids are grown; we don't need car seats anymore. I don't care.

However, don't let my apathy stop you from going downtown and protesting to your Prime Minister and legislative representatives.

BTW, I've seen a couple of your recent "Firestarter" posts outside of R&P. I think you miss Caddy.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:17 AM
Banned

When you go racing, do you do it in a regular seat belt, or a 5-point harness?

/thread
Old 10-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Not only is the child seat thing a scam......they give you cancer too.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Clearly children are safer with the top portion of a seat belt over their face or throat.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
When you go racing, do you do it in a regular seat belt, or a 5-point harness?

/thread
Do you go racing in a 5-point harness that's attached to a heavy device that's sitting on a top of an uneven seat and is attached to it by two straps or a regular seatbelt, and 80% of the time is improperly installed? Makes a lot less sense if you look at it that way.

I wouldn't be questioning this if there wasn't factual data that shows something is wrong with the trust we put in these expensive devices.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Banned

Do you go racing in a 5-point harness that's attached to a heavy device that's sitting on a top of an uneven seat and is attached to it by two straps or a regular seatbelt, and 80% of the time is improperly installed? Makes a lot less sense if you look at it that way.

I wouldn't be questioning this if there wasn't factual data that shows something is wrong with the trust we put in these expensive devices.
That's like saying videotaping people is dangerous, and watching AFV as your proof.

I'm guessing you don't have kids.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
That's like saying videotaping people is dangerous, and watching AFV as your proof.

I'm guessing you don't have kids.
That comparison makes no sense. It makes perfect sense to point out that in real-life, car seats are not nearly as effective as they are billed to be because they are too complicated for most parents to install. It makes perfect sense to look at actual results and not ideal hypothetical scenarios.

And I have two kids and bought 5 car seats so far. I like to think that mine are all properly installed.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Banned

People who can't put car seats in properly shouldn't have kids. And there's a child seat safety check literally every weekend.

Properly installed, they're fine. It's not the manufacturer's fault that they aren't put in properly.

Quick Reply: The truth about child car seats