Toyota FJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by CrockPot
i should be driving around in one next week.
Just wanted to see if you had any other observations with the last little test drive you had with the truck?
Old 07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Just wanted to see if you had any other observations with the last little test drive you had with the truck?
it will be in the driveway tonight.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Damn, I was way ahead of myself.

Cool, looking forward to some feedback next week
Old 07-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

haven't had much seat time in the FJ, just a couple local jaunts running errands.

we have the yellow one...

one thing though, no matter how much i like the vehicle (my wife doesn't), there are no latches in the rear seat for car seats. with two young kids, it's a deal breaker for us.

more to report later...
Old 09-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

so...JB, i know this report is just a couple years late, but here it is... and, yes...this is a copy/paste from another board, so some of the names/vendors will be a bit foreign.

In mid Nov 2007, I picked up my new (to me) FJ Cruiser. I knew the modding would come quickly, but didn't have a real set direction on components as I was still digesting the vast amount of information this forum held.

And, so it begins...

December 2007, Week 1
Terry from All Pro posted up a FS thread on JonB's used, silver front bumper, rear bumper, and rock sliders. Apparently, they were no longer selling the silver powder coated ones, and Jon wanted to represent his vehicle with the black sets. There was some surface rust on the rear bumper, powder coat was bubbling a bit, some dents and dings on the sliders, but the front bumper looked essentially brand new. The price was good, and there was nothing that some elbow grease couldn't fix. I struggled with whether or not I wanted to keep the silver powder coat, or go with a different finish. Ultimately, after doing much prep work, grinding away rust, sanding, etc., I decided on contrast (silver/black) - bedlined the rear bumper and sliders, and sent the front bumper to get Line-X'd. I chose to Line-X the front because it would see the most wear from bugs, debris, and the like...wanted a finish that could withstand it. Decided to bedline the sliders for easy touch up when necessary.

January 2008, Week 1
Timing wise, I really wanted to get my lift, 33" tires, and All Pro armor installed around the same time. I purchased OME mediums w/shocks all around, and after some research, picked up a set of 5 Hankook Dynapros. I also decided on a Warn M8000 with synthetic wire (for safety and weight concerns). So, everything was sitting around the house, pissing my wife off, waiting to get installed. Unfortunately, I had orthoscopic surgery near the middle of December (20 too many shoulder dislocations), and was slated to be in a sling for a good 6 weeks. The surgery certainly put a damper on the modding, but it didn't stop avalanche that was already taking shape.

With my right arm in a sling (I'm right handed), I finished up the prep work and bedlining on the bumper and slider, as well as performing the actual installs by myself. Not fun with one arm. I contemplated performing the lift myself, but better sense got the best of me. My ortho would have had a fit had he known what I was doing a couple weeks post op. With the lift and tires on, attention now migrated to the front bumper and Warn winch. Folks, don't be cheap, get the Warn 9.5XP. The time and frustration involved in modifying the M8000 to work with the All Pro front is just NOT worth it! Once the winch and control box was mounted on the bumper, the actual install onto the FJ came next. With one good arm, aided by 2 ratchets hoisting the bumper from a ceiling beam, the All Pro went in with relative ease.

January 2008, Week 3
The dual battery kit I ordered from Cruiserlarry and Dirty Parts back in December finally came in! The install was pretty straightforward with the instructions provided. The Midland CB and 4 extra 12V outlets were all installed and wired to a Blue Seas 6 circuit fuse block around this time as well. This fuse block is also housing the rooftop lights, and is wired directly to the Optima Yellowtop using 8 guage with a 60amp inline fuse. Since the picture, swapped out 4 of the 15amp fuses for the 12V outlets, and replaced them with 10amp fuses.

January 2008, Week 4
With an upcoming Mohave Road trip in the works, I wanted to make sure I had a few essential mods and pieces of equipment in place. I installed and wired a set of PIAA 580s, mounted on the All Pro front bumper. Used the existing wiring harness and switch for ease of install, changed out the switch later. Speaking of Mohave Road, here's a shot of the 580s on Soda Lake (a dry lake bed), one of the scenic stops along the trail.

Shortly after, I tapped the resources from this forum again, and fabricated some mounts for the Hi-Lift Jack and Fuel Cans. For the Hi-Lift mount, used 1.75" clamps purchased from eBay, 1/2" steel rod cut to fit, plastic spacers, and wing nuts. The fuels cans were purchased from a military surplus shop, mounted using gerry can holders and u-bolts, and held down with ratchets.

March 2008, Week 2
Fabricated mounts for the Coleman Safari basket and Axe/Shovel. I originally used U-bolts for the basket mounts, but found they didn't hold the basket up as well as I would have liked. I kept the rear as the basket is already wedged, and not much support is needed. However, I created some brackets and with the help from those trusty eBay clamps again, built a solid mount. Similar setup with the Axe/Shovel mount...eBay clamps, bracket, and quickfists.

March 2008, Week 3
All Pro air dam w/lightbar arrived along with 2 sets of PIAA 540s. I found it to be the only rooftop lighting solution available at the time that met these criteria, 1) round lights, 2) worked with stock roofbar, 3) did not increase overall height/clearance. The physical install went rather smoothly, and All Pro's instructions were sufficient. Did not do wiring until late April.

March 2008, Week 4
Undercarriage armor/skids had been on the to mod list since late 2007. All Pro's lower control arm as well as LCA skids were installed. I was waiting for Budbuilt to run a group buy or do their "free gas tank skid w/full set of skids" deal that I had missed out on. Unfortunately, I soon realized it wasn't going to happen, at least not anytime soon enough. It just so happened that Rasta 4x4 was running a GB on their full set of aluminum skids. After carefully weighing many factors, I decided to pick up a set. Two major things going for Rasta, weight savings and they won't rust...no need for painting and touching up. I have no illusions of sheer durability of aluminum versus steel, but for my purposes, the 2 positives of aluminum "outweighed" and won out.

April 2008, Week 4
After waiting from November 2007, All Phase Off Road's rear differential skid (the one that actually fit...sort of), finally arrived. After painting red, I ended up having to bend the driver's side leg of the welded on U-bolt in order for it to install properly. The axle U-bolts still touch the rear sway bar, but it is what it is. The mounting plates also touched the brake lines, so I used some fuel line to get rid of the metal on metal contact.

May 2008, Week 1
PIAA 540 rooftop wiring. With the assistance of Tim (FJVP), we removed all necessary items, grab handles, rearview mirror, ceiling light, visors, etc., and pulled down the headliner ever so slightly at the passenger side. A hole was drilled, elbow tube attached and sealed with polyurethane sealant. Wires run down the inside of the A-pillar with the relays attached to OEM Tacoma switches. Left one controls the outside set, right one controls the inner.

Purchased a set of rear shock guards from Cowboy4x4 at Meet & Greet IV. Installed them just in time for the Big Bear Trail Teams Invitational. Glad I had them because they were put to good use.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

May 2008, Week 3
Originally, I had no intentions to touch the FJ's intake or exhaust, short of installing a snorkel. I've been back and forth about that mod, so let's not go there right now. Opportunity called when Oscar (FJFlow) offered up a good deal on an aFe cat-back exhaust and CAI w/plug and pre-filter. Bit the bullet, trimmed the dual battery tray, got rid of my battery disconnect for the winch, and went to town on the section of pipe aft of the muffler. I have 2 things that I can say with relative confidence about these mods...1) I will either LOVE or HATE the sound, 2) That tail pipe is going to crushed soon. Word is that aFe will be coming out with an alternative, non-bling pipe aft of the muffler that will provide the necessary clearance for off-roading.

May 2008, Week 4
I can see rocks at night! Purchased a set of 55w lights from Northen Tool earlier in the month. They were ~$10 a piece, and for that price, they do a fine job. I've seen the same lights in different packaging at Harbor Freight and Walmart (yeah, yeah). At least I'll have easy replacements when they burn out. They are completely enclosed, so if they bulb dies, you have to swap the entire unit, housing and all. Cut pieces of steel, drilled holes, painted, and installed the lights onto the body mounts pictured. I built on Tim's excellent wiring guidance, and ran, soldered, crimped, heat shrinked, relayed, switched, and wire loomed everything. Was quite proud of myself.

July 2008, Week 2
Picked up a FJammer and BD hood from another forum member. Swapped out the BD and TI hoods, as well as the lower section with the faux vent. I must admit that I quite favor the look, and will be trying to source a BD rear door as well.

July 2008, Week 3
Spent a few days after work installing a Viair 450c w/2.5 gallon tank onboard air system.

July 2008, Week 4
It's been a month of modding, and got around to installing some rear rock lights. Had a few brackets lying around, and they worked perfectly for this application. No pictures of the wiring run, but there's a short ground run directly to the frame. The positive is run through some extra air line tubing I had after the onboard air install to help protect it from the elements. Lights are setup so that the passenger side will illuminate the driver's side, and vice versa. Yes, the bolts could be shorter, was too lazy to make a Home Depot run.

September 2008, Week 2
Body mount chop - long overdue. I had only a slight rub on the driver's side, but it was enough of an annoyance, especially on the trails. Thought about just leaving the body mount exposed, but I had some extra metal scrap left over from a previous project. One day I'll learn to weld, but for this project, I used Quicksteel.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:49 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,922 Likes on 2,618 Posts
Dude...Its one of the Best FJs I've seen.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Truck looks awesome. Mine is an Ice Cream truck (purchased in fall/2006)...
Old 09-16-2008, 10:07 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
my neighbor has the trd edition FJ its pretty sweet looking

yours is amazing bro
Old 09-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I love the FJ's, wouldn't mind owning one.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:25 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Nice, but I wouldn't buy one.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by M TYPE X
All of these boxy things are ugly! And they keep spreading!

It's a disease!

This public service announcement has been brought to you by: M TYPE X

FJ's and Elements are fugly. Not to reign on your parade or anything.
Get a Jeep instead.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:59 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed

FJ's and Elements are fugly. Not to reign on your parade or anything.
Get a Jeep instead.
You are GAY.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:48 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
FJs are badass.... I didn't like them at first, but coincidentally I knew nothing about them. They come available in a 6-speed manual, have a huge aftermarket, are comfortable enough for daily driving, etc.... I really like them. Solid front axle swap ftw! Jeeps are badass though

A while back I saw a black one with a black roof and black wheels, and I really liked it.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
You are GAY.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:55 AM
Team Owner

You are GAY.
Please enlighten me why you would want

over

Old 09-17-2008, 02:59 AM
Sounders FC

^While I prefer Jeeps, Toyotas are definitely more reliable...so there is one reason for you (don't know enough about the FJ to give you more).
Old 09-17-2008, 05:15 AM
an asshole from florida

maybe if you didnt get picture of a wack ass four door wrangler it would be a better comparison
Old 09-17-2008, 05:34 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Please enlighten me why you would want

over

FJ over the Jeep... ALL the way. However, I DO think girls are cute in Jeeps like that tho
Old 09-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by invisiblewar
maybe if you didnt get picture of a wack ass four door wrangler it would be a better comparison
The FJ is better?
It looks like a VW Beetle smashed into a box.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:35 AM
an asshole from florida

no i meant...get the original 2dr wrangler as opposed to the monstrosity that is the 4dr wrangler.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:39 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Dude...Its one of the Best FJs I've seen.
If i had to have an suv..the FJ would be it.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by is300eater
FJ over the Jeep... ALL the way. However, I DO think girls are cute in Jeeps like that tho
hahaha.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

i'd rock one of those rubicons too...solid axle, crazy low crawl ratio - different truck, different pros/cons. however, unlike our diaper dandy TS_eXpee, my choice for an OFF-ROAD vehicle is much much more beyond just looks.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 PM
I shoot people

The FJ is better?
It looks like a VW Beetle smashed into a box.
dude, have you ever heard of the term "to each his own?"

I don't understand why people come in here (like 18 year old asshats that think they know everything in life), trying to convince something is better looking than others... Some people like blonds, some like brunettes... some people like imports, some like domestics... I don't understand what the fuck is it to you that some people happen to like the FJ over the Jeep... And of all threads, a thread that's titled "Toyota FJ".
Old 09-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Suzuka Master

dude, have you ever heard of the term "to each his own?"

I don't understand why people come in here (like 18 year old asshats that think they know everything in life), trying to convince something is better looking than others... Some people like blonds, some like brunettes... some people like imports, some like domestics... I don't understand what the fuck is it to you that some people happen to like the FJ over the Jeep... And of all threads, a thread that's titled "Toyota FJ".
well, in fairness to him, he might not really be 18.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
i would take the Jeep any day of the week and twice on Sundays
Old 09-17-2008, 01:51 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by mattg
i would take the Jeep any day of the week and twice on Sundays
yeah but you also drive a subie...you probably walk around eating granola and hugging trees in your birkenstocks, too.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Suzuka Master

what's wrong with subaru's? i've still got my 99 Legacy.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

yeah but you also drive a subie...you probably walk around eating granola and hugging trees in your birkenstocks, too.
my car is catless and runs on premium unleaded. need I say more?
Old 09-17-2008, 02:16 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by mattg
my car is catless and runs on premium unleaded. need I say more?
I'm just pulling your thirdleg
Old 09-17-2008, 02:17 PM
The Third Ball

what's wrong with subaru's? i've still got my 99 Legacy.
Nuttin, I also happen to really like the 4dr rubicon. Something about it grew on me.

But I still love the FJ. And I like how the element looks.

I like car damnit....of all makes and models. How dare I say such things on this site!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm just pulling your thirdleg
now pull my finger
Old 09-22-2008, 03:22 AM
I shoot people

this belongs to a friend of mine... (well, sorta... he was a client and a friend), and yes... he DOES drive it like it's meant to be driven (mountains, deserts, etc etc...) there are scratches all around from bushes and branches.... it's black so he's over it... Oh, and he didn't even list the audio stuff that came with the FJ when he bought off his friend... a really nice aftermarket Navi/Backup camera system (Pioneer I think)... IMO I think the tires could be bigger tho...

Upgrades
Procomp 7028 Wheels (5) 17"
Front Extra Travel Bilsteen Coilovers
Billit Upper Control Arms
Magnaflow exhaust
High Clearance Tailpipe
AFE Air Filter
2 Jerry cans
2 water cans
Strap - Ties downs
High Lift Rack Mount
Shovel and Axe Rack Mount
Billit Sway Bar Links
Billit Rear Control Arms
Hydralic Bump Stops
Heavy Duty Rear Springs
Race Runner Rear Shocks
Rear shock skid plates
All-Pro Extra Long Break Lines
All-Pro Diff Skid Plate
Black Door Handles
Black Mirrors
Black Front Grill
5 Additional 12 volt adaters
CO2 Onboard System with 25 foot cord
Air Horn System tank and compressor
ARB Front Bumber with/ Fog Lights
Warn 9500 lb Winch
PIAA bumper lights (2)
Gobie Rack and Ladder
8 PIAA lights on rack
CB Antenna
CB Radio
Warn Remote Control for Winch
Throttle body spacer
Billet Oil Filter w/ Magnetic base
Dual Battery System
Warn Rear Bumper
Complete Bud Built Skid Pates
Old 09-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Very hot! Looks like it may be the TRD edition.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

this belongs to a friend of mine... (well, sorta... he was a client and a friend), and yes... he DOES drive it like it's meant to be driven (mountains, deserts, etc etc...) there are scratches all around from bushes and branches.... it's black so he's over it... Oh, and he didn't even list the audio stuff that came with the FJ when he bought off his friend... a really nice aftermarket Navi/Backup camera system (Pioneer I think)... IMO I think the tires could be bigger tho...

is he on the FJ boards? haven't seen that particular FJ around. if not, tell him to join, and we'll hit the trails.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:56 PM
The Third Ball

gotta love the snorkel!

And the tires may look small to you, but those BFG ALL Terrain KO are the best. Ive been running them on my pathy. They'll take you anywhere while still being very road worthy.

Crockpot...wheres my off roading invite Elitist bastard!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

gotta love the snorkel!

And the tires may look small to you, but those BFG ALL Terrain KO are the best. Ive been running them on my pathy. They'll take you anywhere while still being very road worthy.

Crockpot...wheres my off roading invite Elitist bastard!!!
hey, if you're available the weekend of oct 24-26th, a large contingent of non-vehicle centric off-roaders will be wheeling and camping in Anza Borrego. PM me if you're interested, and i'll shoot you over the details.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

oh, and at the Elitist bastard comment...i am certainly not an Elitist.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:14 PM
The Third Ball

hey, if you're available the weekend of oct 24-26th, a large contingent of non-vehicle centric off-roaders will be wheeling and camping in Anza Borrego. PM me if you're interested, and i'll shoot you over the details.
Where the hell is that?

I could probably borrow camping gear. I will say, once my ankle is given the OK I will be focused on finding work...specially because the wedding is only a week or two after that weekend you listed.

I do want to get my pathy off the road again. The question is all about timing.

And I know youre not an elitist, I was playin you putz
Old 09-22-2008, 05:38 PM
I shoot people

is he on the FJ boards? haven't seen that particular FJ around. if not, tell him to join, and we'll hit the trails.
I'm pretty sure he is...

Quick Reply: Toyota FJ