TL vs. G35

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 11:18 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wavshrdr
Not a typo on the price. They claim no damage history. Car has a sunroof. It is obvious I'm going to have to break it down for you. We can all agree on that worst case the care is a base with a roof. That car had a retail of $31,890. So the car dropped from 31890 to 25995. Now take the TL (non navi) it was a $33220 retail car.

So according to the dealer that should favor their own product, their car took a anlmost $6k hit in price and the TL took ~$1,300 or approx. 75% less depreciation. Tough to argue with the prices coming from an Infiniti dealer. As I have said before, my market is much stronger for TL than G35s. Try and explain away the difference. I could understand it if it was on an Acura lot but at the competition? So it doesn't matter a bit what the books say.

I'll give you another example. A FORD dealer took a 6 spd '04 TL in on trade. They had 2 G35's on the lot. They were priced 4k under the TL and 1 was 6MT and the other 5AT. The TL sold before I could even get over to take a look at it. It was a non-navi '04, SSM/Ebony 6k miles and it sold for 31,995. TLs sell incredibly well in my area. I would have thought that the G35x would fly off the lots since we have severe winters but the TLs outsell them here as well and they obviously aren't AWD.
Like I said before it doesn't make sense that a 2004 G35 is selling for the same price as a 2003. And how do you know that it's not a typo on the price?
Old 12-15-2004, 11:18 PM
Instructor

I'll give you another example. A FORD dealer took a 6 spd '04 TL in on trade. They had 2 G35's on the lot. They were priced 4k under the TL and 1 was 6MT and the other 5AT. The TL sold before I could even get over to take a look at it. It was a non-navi '04, SSM/Ebony 6k miles and it sold for 31,995. TLs sell incredibly well in my area. I would have thought that the G35x would fly off the lots since we have severe winters but the TLs outsell them here as well and they obviously aren't AWD.[/QUOTE]

My area TL sells really good, that only means one thing in a year or 2 you will see a lot of them on the road, that will make it the TL too "generic" . One reason why I can't wait for the new M45 to come out so my wife can trade in her 03 TL-S.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Drifting

I just ran a Carfax on that 2004 G35 (VIN# JNKCV51E14M603302) that is selling for $25,995 guess what, it was a former RENTAL car no wonder it's selling for that low!
Old 12-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
BTW, I did call and it's not a typo. The last gen 2003 TL's go for about the same price as G35s here. That should tell you something as well. If the "old" TL can sell for the same price as the "new" G35 some sort of dynamic is at work here. Even look at Edmund's web site and match up a '04 TL and G35. Their TMV price will show you they are discounting G35's much more than TL's. According to them an '04 TL w/out navi will sell at a discount of about $400 off retail in my area whereas a G35 with leather and roof and no navi will sell below invoice here.

Then you can add in low % financing on the G35 + cash back to the dealer of a grand so you might even be able to get a better deal. The cash back and low APR apply even to the AWD version. Anyway I don't have much more to add to this. Your area is different than mine its that simple. TL's sell great here and G35's don't. Market forces at work. My area thinks the TL is a much more desirable (and arguably) better car than the G35. It was that way a year ago. The new TL just killed the G35s on the showfloor. I personally wouldn't have even considered a previous gen TL but this one was worth purchasing to me.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:50 PM
Drifting

Also the 3rd gen Acura TL is an all-new model for 2004, so in its first year it’s going to have a high resale value cause it’s the HOT new thing. Once a year or two goes by you’ll have a better perspective on its resale value. This is the same case with the 2005 Chrysler 300C, used they go for about the same price as a new one and in some cases even more which is even better then the TL’s resale value right now.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:54 PM
Drifting

BTW, I did call and it's not a typo.
They failed to mention that it was a former rental car.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
BTW, I did call and it's not a typo. The last gen 2003 TL's go for about the same price as G35s here. That should tell you something as well. If the "old" TL can sell for the same price as the "new" G35 some sort of dynamic is at work here. Even look at Edmund's web site and match up a '04 TL and G35. Their TMV price will show you they are discounting G35's much more than TL's. According to them an '04 TL w/out navi will sell at a discount of about $400 off retail in my area whereas a G35 with leather and roof and no navi will sell below invoice here.

Then you can add in low % financing on the G35 + cash back to the dealer of a grand so you might even be able to get a better deal. The cash back and low APR apply even to the AWD version. Anyway I don't have much more to add to this. Your area is different than mine its that simple. TL's sell great here and G35's don't. Market forces at work. My area thinks the TL is a much more desirable (and arguably) better car than the G35. It was that way a year ago. The new TL just killed the G35s on the showfloor. I personally wouldn't have even considered a previous gen TL but this one was worth purchasing to me.

First of all, if you go to edmunds, you can't choose an 04' TL... For 05' both the TL and G35 show MSRP as the TMV price. Further, there are logical reasons why the 04's TMV is below invoice for the sedan... For starters, the 05 has an updated interior, MP3 player, rev-matching tranny for the 5AT, and 298hp for the 6MT, etc.

The 04 TL and 05 TL are nearly identicle, so there's no reason one would get an 05 over an 04, other than it's newer. With the G35, there is a strong incentive...

And don't bother comparing financing terms, that's up to the dealer. I got my wife's TL at a "mega-dealer" that has its arms in everything. They financed my wife on a new TL through toyota for cheaper than what Pontiac was offering us on a CompG GTP.

It is SO pointless to discuss USED car prices, as they can vary based on the mood of the dealer that day.

Besides, you in Minnesota? Isn't a FWD car going to be more popular than a RWD car there? How are the G35's equipped there anyways? Over here, even the base models are still equipped with the Sport Wheel Package, which comes with summer tires. Not a very smart thing in the winter months...

Besides, whether or not they are theoretical or real-world, these published re-sale values IS INDEED significant. How do you think the insurance company determines the value of your car? How does the dealer figure out your lease payments? These numbers aren't just pulled out of someones crack. If the re-sale values really are what you say they are, they will eventually trickle their way into the books.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:05 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DownUnder
Also the 3rd gen Acura TL is an all-new model for 2004, so in its first year it’s going to have a high resale value cause it’s the HOT new thing. Once a year or two goes by you’ll have a better perspective on its resale value. This is the same case with the 2005 Chrysler 300C, used they go for about the same price as a new one and in some cases even more which is even better then the TL’s resale value right now.
That should say a lot than, if the G35 is rated as best resale value in its class, considering it's 3 years into the model run.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Drifting

Your area is different than mine its that simple. TL's sell great here and G35's don't. Market forces at work. My area thinks the TL is a much more desirable (and arguably) better car than the G35. It was that way a year ago. The new TL just killed the G35s on the showfloor.
I find it funny that you base everything on "in my area."

My TL stops faster then the G35 "in my area."
The resale value of the G35 is bad "in my area."
Everybody likes the TL better "in my area."
Acura dealers are better then Infiniti dealers "in my area."
I could get a G35 for low $20K "in my area."

LOL, I could go on and on.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:41 AM
i am trying to believe

Everyone's talking about the base models ... what are the prices like in your area for like the TL A-Spec or the G35 with all the options? I mainly want to know about the TL A-Spec if anyone has seen a sticker price on them cause I don't want to get screwed at the dealer in February.

As for the ongoing convo, both the TL's and the G35's do very well "in my area", however I only see the base models rolling around. I have yet to see one of these cars decked out with all the options. I personally like the TL myself interior and exterior. I like the G35 a lot and think its a great car if it's what you are looking for, but as for me ... I decided on the TL.

my
Old 12-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Pro

I went to the infiniti dealership for service and got the chance to sit in an 05 G35 sedan. In all honesty, they really improved the interior materials. The leather is so nice and soft compared to the 03/04 ones. The comfort of the seats is way better than the TL. If you have gone to infiniti and been in the 05 g35s, then you would know what i'm talking about. The aluminum dash as well as the wood dash look really nice. They really did a good job in upgrading the interior. I can honestly say that the TLs interior was slightly better than the g35s for 03 and 04, But the 05 interior materials in the g35 totally beat the TLs now
Old 12-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 03TL-S
I went to the infiniti dealership for service and got the chance to sit in an 05 G35 sedan. In all honesty, they really improved the interior materials. The leather is so nice and soft compared to the 03/04 ones. The comfort of the seats is way better than the TL. If you have gone to infiniti and been in the 05 g35s, then you would know what i'm talking about. The aluminum dash as well as the wood dash look really nice. They really did a good job in upgrading the interior. I can honestly say that the TLs interior was slightly better than the g35s for 03 and 04, But the 05 interior materials in the g35 totally beat the TLs now
Sorry, but you lost all credibility when you said "the TLs interior was slightly better than the g35s for 03 and 04..."

I've never been in in 05, but I can interpolate based on your post.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:07 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by missmyprelude
Sorry, but you lost all credibility when you said "the TLs interior was slightly better than the g35s for 03 and 04..."

I've never been in in 05, but I can interpolate based on your post.
Besides the cheap plastic center console, everything else was of high quality. The leather was still better in the 03/04 g35s than the TL. No butt prints, no different shades of color and no premature wear in the g35s but are apparent in the TL. Thats why i say slightly better...because the tl had real aluminum and the g35 had the plastic console. But currently, the g35 and tl both had real aluminum but the TL has fake wood and the g35 has real wood.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:47 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Besides the cheap plastic center console, everything else was of high quality. The leather was still better in the 03/04 g35s than the TL. No butt prints, no different shades of color and no premature wear in the g35s but are apparent in the TL. Thats why i say slightly better...because the tl had real aluminum and the g35 had the plastic console. But currently, the g35 and tl both had real aluminum but the TL has fake wood and the g35 has real wood.
The coupe seats are better than the TL to me but others may have trouble fitting in (too snug). The sedan seats were often criticized by many people who thought they were uncomfortable. The G35 has higher quality leather but everything else, TL > G35.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They could put the best materials on earth in the G35 interior, it's design is still ugly.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PG2G
They could put the best materials on earth in the G35 interior, it's design is still ugly.
too bad ive never heard or read anything praising the tl's interior design...only that they copied bmw...
Old 12-19-2004, 02:11 AM
Racer

too bad ive never heard or read anything praising the tl's interior design...only that they copied bmw...
I've never heard anyone put down the TLs interior design. Everything I've read seems to put it as one of the best in its price range. Not that what you read or hear matters any. I've experienced both cars and made my choice. There is so much negative talk about the Infiniti interior, do you really think that we're pulling things out of nowhere?
Old 12-20-2004, 07:34 AM
i am trying to believe

Old 12-20-2004, 07:49 AM
Outnumbered at home

Got to agree with this. The design is okay looking but its functionality is what really annoys me. The buttons for volume, the volume and radio control on the "wrong" side.

Love the car and can't believe we are all still arguing about these 2 great cars. Guess it is what is done on car forums.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Get over it! This been covered a billion times. It's what ppl prefer. G35 might be the ugliest car but, oh well you're entitle to your own opinion. Coming from a Honda family( wifey currently owns a 03 tl-s,owned a 97Accord ex and 2002 Accord V6 Ex) I do think that the 04 TL is more like a refined interior Accord and an Accord that packs mad HP, people will disagree with me but, hey thats opinion.