Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geez...And just when I though I had my mind made up! #$%^&*(
Old 04-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Racer

well, if you accept used cars...i say there are many other options.

NEW is more precious....isn't it? and GS400 is sweet, silver on black? a nice choice, but used a risk, a less risk with lexus... and if its certified than you are paying "much" more for it.

my $0.02 cents.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Arro33,

From your original post, it really sounds like the Lexus ES330 is the better fit for what you want out of a car. I currently drive a '99 Lexus LS400, and for the money, I don't think anyone makes a better car than Lexus, but I'm seriously thinking about trading it for a 2005 TL (let them work out the minor bugs in the 2004). I was at the Lexus dealership last week getting it serviced and I looked at all the current models... Still great quality, but none of them look as good as the TL. The TL doesn't ride as smooth or have as much power as my LS, but it looks great, is a lot more fun, and has great technology. I was debating the pros and cons with a friend, and he said "Go for it, you aren't an old man yet. Drive a Lexus or a Caddy later!" I'm 40. For the record, I've owned 3 Accords ('88, '91, '93) I still own the '93. I've always liked Honda products, but in my opinion, the current Accord is butt ugly, and the TL looks awesome. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Cruisin'

I compared Acura TL, Lexus ES330, and Mercedes C240 and bought a TL for the following reasons:
. For 30+K, the C240 is underpowered and on the bottom of the scale of all Mercedes (aka cheap)
. The ES330 nickles and dimes me for every little thing I want to add, and the dealer here won't even negotiate price. But it does drive luxuriously.
. The TL has a lot of bang for the bucks, it's new this year, and sportier than ES330.

Finally, I figured, if we need two cars in the family, I will have an Acura and a Lexus. Won't miss anything.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:45 PM
USC YQUE

Mercedes -Benz?

How about the Mercedes-Benz C 320 Luxury Sedan with All Wheel drive? I am actually looking into this automobile (in addiition to the BMW 330 xi). I might get a 2005 model with an MSRP of $42,000 for $35,000.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by qwalls
Arro33,

From your original post, it really sounds like the Lexus ES330 is the better fit for what you want out of a car. I currently drive a '99 Lexus LS400, and for the money, I don't think anyone makes a better car than Lexus, but I'm seriously thinking about trading it for a 2005 TL (let them work out the minor bugs in the 2004). I was at the Lexus dealership last week getting it serviced and I looked at all the current models... Still great quality, but none of them look as good as the TL. The TL doesn't ride as smooth or have as much power as my LS, but it looks great, is a lot more fun, and has great technology. I was debating the pros and cons with a friend, and he said "Go for it, you aren't an old man yet. Drive a Lexus or a Caddy later!" I'm 40. For the record, I've owned 3 Accords ('88, '91, '93) I still own the '93. I've always liked Honda products, but in my opinion, the current Accord is butt ugly, and the TL looks awesome. Good luck with your decision.
PLEASE DON'T DO THAT! If $$ isn't an issue, then get a new LS430. Lexus DOES make the best cars. sure, Acura makes cool looking cars, but you can't possibly compare the quality with your current Lexus. G35, yeah.. interior sucks, but that car is ROCK solid. TLs are better looking cars than the others with many new technology, but there are problems (stupid ones too) you just can't imagine from a luxury car company.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:43 PM
10th Gear

My mom just bought a 2004 ES 330 loaded w/ nav and the ride control. The gripes are that the car has a strange hesitation shifting out of first (it's supposedly normal) and the Mark Levinson is not all that impressive. Compared to the TL, the ES obviously has a smoother ride but is not neccesarily quieter (quieter engine maybe). The ES also rolls like crazy through any turns. Switching to sport helps a little but still now where near the TL's handling. On the plus side, the ES has "real" wood which looks and feels great (steering wheel) and like some have said, the Lexus name has a little more prestige. Good luck shopping.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:02 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by jchoi19
PLEASE DON'T DO THAT! If $$ isn't an issue, then get a new LS430. Lexus DOES make the best cars. sure, Acura makes cool looking cars, but you can't possibly compare the quality with your current Lexus. G35, yeah.. interior sucks, but that car is ROCK solid. TLs are better looking cars than the others with many new technology, but there are problems (stupid ones too) you just can't imagine from a luxury car company.

well said
except I just have to disagree on one thing, and that is you said Acura is a luxury car company... its far from it
Old 07-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Intermediate

wow, i wonder what his choice was...

here comes my 2 cents
Lexus
personally the only lexus i would get is the last years model gs...or the sc...otherwise they can keep
BMW
um...bmw, cant stand the smell in them for some reason...my gf has one and anytime i drive shotgun i get almost this nautious feeling...have to drive it all the time, and its under-powered, so only bmw i would get is the m3, m5 (old style, cant stand the new) or the 6 series thats hot...
BENZ
had the c230 (old box style...2000) LOVED it...but nothing in it...then when it came around to getting a new one in 2003 all they had was the c240 (way too underpowered and overpriced)...so, about 2 months after i got my 2003 tl-s i saw they added the c230 sedan back to the line up (damn)...the new 2005 c230 kompressor looks sleek is fast but im sure still comes with nothing...
INFINITY
cant really speak of except i drove a j30 i think it was very nice but i drove it to a gas station n that was it so who knows...other then that no thoughts...
ACURA
love like the benz except pissed that they re-did the body a year after i got mine...and the 2003 has some problems...maybe 2004 does 2...bubbles in all of my tires (actually had them covered under the tires warranty so they were free to replace....ummm sometimes the car hesitates when goin from first....when breaking to a stop my steering wheel shakes....hmmmmmm other then that i think its fine i think...im getting it looked at the end of this week...
Old 07-12-2004, 12:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Part right..

Originally Posted by TLism
well said
except I just have to disagree on one thing, and that is you said Acura is a luxury car company... its far from it
There are very few luxury car companies. There are many companies that make luxury models. Acura is one company that makes luxury models. Likewise, M-B, Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, and others have a few luxury models. And they have some that aren't.

I would not agree that Acura is "far from it". But Acura does have models that I don't catagorize as luxury.

Most, if not all, of the motoring and consumer press call the RL and TL "luxury sedans" or "mid-size luxury". I have also seen it referred to (TL) as "entry level luxury". But, regarding the TL, the word "luxury" always seems to be there.

XP
Old 07-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Intermediate

yea
the c230 coupe for benz is not luxury...
the rsx from acura is not luxury...
the 318i from bmw is not luxury...

but the TL def. should be considered luxury...

or am i wrong
Old 07-14-2004, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Ok

Originally Posted by mercedes1331
yea
the c230 coupe for benz is not luxury...
the rsx from acura is not luxury...
the 318i from bmw is not luxury...

but the TL def. should be considered luxury...

or am i wrong
I think we agree. Don't know if it's right or wrong, but we are on the same page. Only on the BMW page, it's a 325i now. They don't ship the 4 cyl here anymore.

I have both (TL and BMW) and I still agree.

XP
Old 07-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya know, this is an open ended debate; it can never be won or lost. Each person has their own mind and tastes. Just to mention as an example: a "firm" ride for one may be a "stiff" un-acceptable ride to another.

What dawned on me after reading all of the posts on the issue of Near Luxury-Luxury vs. Sport (because that is what this is really all about) was that if you want a more luxurious look to the '04 TL get the Parchment interior with the wood finished trim. If you prefer the more sporty look get the '04 TL with the ebony/graphite trim; very cool! All of the aforementioned cars in this thread is a comparison of cars all within a fairly specific price range from different automobile manufacturers. It seems as if more people here are looking at these cars as how "others" will view their selection as opposed to what "they" really like.

If someone thinks you've got bucks, or a better job, because you drive a bottom end Lexus, Mercedes, or BMW get real! Hell, most of them are leases anyway. If you are someone who has to worry how others view them and their ride try the "Psychiatric Forums".
Old 07-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by imax
Ya know, this is an open ended debate; it can never be won or lost. Each person has their own mind and tastes. Just to mention as an example: a "firm" ride for one may be a "stiff" un-acceptable ride to another.

What dawned on me after reading all of the posts on the issue of Near Luxury-Luxury vs. Sport (because that is what this is really all about) was that if you want a more luxurious look to the '04 TL get the Parchment interior with the wood finished trim. If you prefer the more sporty look get the '04 TL with the ebony/graphite trim; very cool! All of the aforementioned cars in this thread is a comparison of cars all within a fairly specific price range from different automobile manufacturers. It seems as if more people here are looking at these cars as how "others" will view their selection as opposed to what "they" really like.

If someone thinks you've got bucks, or a better job, because you drive a bottom end Lexus, Mercedes, or BMW get real! Hell, most of them are leases anyway. If you are someone who has to worry how others view them and their ride try the "Psychiatric Forums".

Old 07-14-2004, 10:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by arro33
Thus, I do not race or sneak out at night for the secret Vietnamese road rally (we have much of that in Falls Church, VA believe it or not...).
LOL! I wanna try!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by arro33
I know this discussion has been beat to death, but I'm still caught in a decision dilemma. What to blow 32k on....

My perplexity is partly based on my girlfriend having just brought home an ES330 (non-navi w/premium package) which drives like a dream. Quiet, classy looking, and quality build! And, it's a friggin' Lexus. All for 32k and loaded!

I test drove the Acura last weekend and it was very nice, but frankly the drive in the Lexus is better. It's more comfortable and cheaper. And, did I mention it's a LEXUS!

I currently drive an a '94 325i and I love it, but it's getting old and needs a few kk in fixing (AC, Muffler, etc..). Thus, I'm going to dump it was going to replace it w/ either TL, ES330, G35, or 325i. Hence this thread. Nissan's scare me (they're crap!). Thus, I think the G35 is out. Besides, it’s kind of ugly (looks like a hatchback). BMW is nice, and I do prefer RWD, but the trouble and repair bills I've had from my current beemer make me want to steer clear (Everything inside is plastic except my leather seats and it’s all fallen off at one time or another; so much for German quality!). Plus, a decked out 330 is far more expensive than a TL or ES330. Thus, I think I've come down to two choices and need some final help. This weekend is my target buy date if car max will give me 5k for the beemer (it only has 41k on it! Gonna miss it. Great fun drive! Just had to replace the computer. 1800 bucks for going through a car wash! Most friggin' expensive car wash I've ever been through; known problem with 94-'95 325i's and Beemer will do nothing. 'Nother reason not to go beemer).

So, ES330 or TL...Other than the TL having the phone bluetooth thing going for it, they are remarkabley similar cars. Both in the low to mid 30s, both decent quality. Both fast and powerful. Both FWD. Both have Navi available and both come in silver w/black leather interiors....Thus, what to buy, what to buy. It's a significant amount of money for me and I really want to make a good choice. Frankly, I look at it as acquiring a third girlfriend. First is the human one (she's great!), second is the BMW K75S (bikes are simply a superior ride given good weather conditions!), and third??? will be my 4-wheeled device that will bring me to and fro the "grind". Major decision nes't pas...!

The majority of my driving is a metropolitan commute (Northern Virginia to DC). Thus, I do not race or sneak out at night for the secret Vietnamese road rally (we have much of that in Falls Church, VA believe it or not...). Comfort, nice ride, luxurious amenities are what I'm after. Of course, reliability and little maintenance are the most important factors. Thus, my fellow TL lovers (girlfriend just dumped her Vigor for the Lexus. The Vigor was nice; the Lexus is better!), What should I get....TL or 330? HELP ME (I would prefer to hear from people who have driven both the 330 and the TL; I read that the ES is considered an "old man's" car by many. Simply not true and if you drive one, you'll find that it has the handling and the gusto. Bigger engine and has, roughly, the same speed/distance timings as the TL). And, it looks sharp (at least in silver; very expensive and classy looking!).

Lastly, is there anyone who can tell me what the best DC area Acura dealer is? Girlfriend got her Lexus at Pohanka and they were very cool. She offered 1k over invoice (this included her "amenities") and they took it. The Acura TL dealers have laughed at me when I offer 32k. I don't want to pay more than that and that includes their stupid destination and prep charge. Invoice is 31,575 and there's a $1024 dealer holdback. Thus, they are going to make 1500 bucks on a 32k offer. Not bad for a 5 minute cash transaction. I don’t need an hour of going over the car. I can RTFM! Anyone pay this amount for a Nav automatic or am I crazy? I’m using a sevice called “Carbargains” (checkbook.org) and hopefully they’ll find me a TL w/NAV for 32, but now I’m leaning towards the ES330 (kiss that $160.oo dollars away....damn!).

So, thank for your patience if you read this whole diatribe and help me by talking me out of the TL and into the 330 or into the TL and out of the 330. Thanks in advance, afm
Honestly dude, if you want an unbiased opinion, go to a VW or BMW forum and ask. But if you ask me, I think the TL is the best bang for its buck. The ELS system blows the ML audio away which cant even play DVD-As. The 8" Nav for TLs are made by Alpine, THE best OEM nav manufacturer EVER. No Bluetooth Hands free link on the Lexus. No Voice Recognition on the Lexus. The Lexus w/ all the same options that the TL comes STANDARD w/ would cost a HELL of a lot more. The engine on the ES330 sucks balls(basically the same engine that was made for the IS300 which is a lot lighter!) It would be like driving an IS300 w/ a big fatass in the back. Looks like an oversized camry. The TL is more sporty than the camry.....err I mean ES300 bottom line is to each on his own, If U like the camry, get the camry. If U like the TL, get the TL. Im just saying if you want the best bang for the buck get the TL. But up to you man,

The lexus has benefits too ya know:
-Get keyed by jealous bastards more
-The lexus "name" or prestige
-lexus has a tighter build Quality control than honda

but THATS about it
Old 08-14-2004, 07:31 PM
2nd Gear

Can't afford a fast BMW, the Lexus ES330 is ugly and feels like something my dad would drive. The G35 is nice looking and comfortable but I am gunshy of Nissan's for longevity.
My TL will be in in another week or two, got the 6SP, Anthracite with NAV, can't wait.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:26 PM
3rd Gear

Dear all:

Do not connect Nissan quality to Infiniti. Infiniti ranked third in the J.D. Power
Vehicle Dependency Survey (VDS) with its I-30 securing the second spot in
the entry-level luxury segment hehind the Lexus ES 330 and above the TL.

For a full listing, see link below

http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases...asp?ID=2004055

Peace

-bh
Old 08-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Instructor

i think we beat this topic to death. this thread is 4 months old!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:32 PM
3rd Gear

I test drove both G35x and Acura-TL, and the verdict is ...

Crossposted from another thread (8/21/04):

I was monitoring the message boards to get the idea myself. Today, I test drove both in the same day to get a feel of it. First the specs...

G35x Automatic
vs
TL

First let me tell you where I am coming from.

I am looking for a true "Sports Sedan". That means a car with sedan like room and
sports car 'like' performance.

I am not an auto-expert, but I know when I am driving a good car.

First, if you are looking for sports car like performance, do not try to say how a FWD
is comparable to an RWD. The difference in physics is simple. Imagine if you were on
a cart with a steering and someone was pushing you from the back vs pulling you from
the front. The ride is going to be quite different. My personal preference will be for the
RWD. For those of you who are in a wet/snowy weather situation, the problem can be
solved by an AWD.

With that said, lets bring in the handling. I did a 360 with a TL and a G35. And both
did it well, but the cornering of G35 was definitely crisper than the TL. I felt more in control with the G35.

Later on I made some sharp left turn with both. The tire screeches from the TL were
a surprise, given all I had read about it. The G35 did this effortlessly without a complain.

Now the power issue ...

Lets just understand that HP does not really matter. If you want high horsepower, go buy
a Lincoln Towncar. A few horsepower here and there do not make a difference. It really
is the torque that makes you feel the oomph. Yes, both are almost equal in HP, but that
to me is a useless metric when the difference is in the 10-15% range.

Both engines purr quite nicely, though the response from the G35 seemed quicker. Not
really sure if it was me, but with a salesman constantly talking in the back, it is hard to
take note of all the things that you are trying to remember to check. My advice is to
not talk a lot and turn down the radio during the test drive. The talking and the radio can
be done while the car is in the lot.

The automatic shifting seemed smooth on both.

The breaking is a bit sensitive with the G35, though it deccelarates nicer than a TL. Again
this was my personal feel.

The cabin of the TL is definitely quieter than the G.

Now the interiors. Again, I had heard a lot about the TL interiors. But to me they are secondary to how well a car drives. Design is a matter of personal aesthetics and TL
definitely has some nice elements to its front panel. It has blue-tooth for the gadget
hungry. The polychrome lighted meters definitely look snazzy. The cup-holders, etc.

There are two elements to the exterior. The styling and then the paint.

When it first came out, I thought the G was an ugly looking car. But after having seen the
Beamers around me everywhere, I begin to warm up to its bold curves. The TL is trying
to look muscular, but it is still conservative in its look. It is hardly distinctive. Next time
you are driving on the road, keep your eyes open. Notice how a G35 catches your eyes
as opposed to the TL. The condition is that they both have to be dark colored (black, or twilight blue offer the best comparisons). The TL exterior design does little for me. But
this is probably THE MOST subjective aspect when people look at a car.

The paint is an issue with the G35. The TL paint is more robust because it is not water-based. The G-35 is water based and chips very easily. The solution is clearbra from 3M. The downside is a dampened shine. Not sure if a Zaino polish can bring it back. Clearbra costs US$700-1000. This is something I need to check with my local detailing guru.

The bad thing about both is that they do not have fold-down seats. Its not even an option.
Even BMW offers it, not sure why these guys don't do it and go for the reclining seats as
somehow more important. It bears on the function of the car.

Hmm, so have I left something out?

So in conclusion ...

If you are more into luxury with an extra-quiet cabin, nice controls, bells and whistles and all, and if you are not too picky about sportiness, take a look at the TL. For those of you who want a serious sporty platform for a sedan, G35 is the closest japanese I have felt to the benchmark BMW's athletic handling. And yes, I have test driven that as well, but the one I really want is the M3 and do not have the deniro for it :-(. Plus I want some long-term reliability too.

Do not try to compare 325xi with the G35x [same price range]. It is not a fair comparison.

You must test drive the finalists on your list the same day (not more than three). Allow yourself plenty of time. Do not turn the radio too loud while driving. Try to go to one area where you can find all the dealerships so you drive on the same roads. Check both accelaration and decceleration on braking. For handling, do not be shy in making sharp left turns and accelarating on curves/ramps. You are paying a lot of money and deserve to know.

Do not buy the car the same day, but sleep over it and then make your decision.

I am so very tired right now, but I felt that I owe it to all the good people here and other
boards who have offered their honest and insightful opinions. Thanks everyone. I am decided in favor of the G.

I am not sure when I will log back in, but post any questions you may have and I will try to respond.

Oh one last thing ...

Remember, all cars can go 120 MPH. The money is in how you get to it!
Old 08-25-2004, 08:13 PM
Banned

You were right about everything except one thing.

The paint. All paints are water based. All the same thickness. They have to meet the new standards. And the TL chips just as easy as the G35.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:22 PM
5th Gear

Do you guys think something like the 05 Subaru Outback 3.0R sedan can be included with other near-lux/sport sedans? Or is some other classification?
I know it looks like a monster-truckish bmw- but the interior felt very similar to the TL( a 03 TL-S).
Old 08-25-2004, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by darklink99
Do you guys think something like the 05 Subaru Outback 3.0R sedan can be included with other near-lux/sport sedans? Or is some other classification?
I know it looks like a monster-truckish bmw- but the interior felt very similar to the TL( a 03 TL-S).
I would say the Legacy is closer.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

ES= chic mobile at least here in So Cal and imho looks like it
3 series- Ultimate Driving Machine, but not ultimate for my 6'3 ass
G35- Excellent Motor, Coupe looks great but the Sedan.. forget about it
And Finally...
TL- your in the TL forum.... Awesome car

Have you thought about the Chrysler 300c? Its a HEMI and has bluetooth, nav etc.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by darklink99
Yes. The new Legacy is near/entry luxury loaded. It's quite a fine car.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TL_6SPD
You were right about everything except one thing.

The paint. All paints are water based. All the same thickness. They have to meet the new standards. And the TL chips just as easy as the G35.

man my tl chips everytime i open the door to get in...not literally but MAN its got a lot of chips...i brushed my garbage can against it (by accident of course) and i have a long scratch right above the front tire...very ugly......and its a RUBBERMAID...
Old 12-14-2004, 11:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLism
well said

You must have been born yesterday. You can find countless of articles newspapers,magazines,ect. on Acura's quality and luxury.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sure, the ES ain't pretending to be a sports sedan. Toyota realized there was so much you could do with a FWD platform, so they just turned the ES into a luxo barge.

I think you already have your mind made up. So why come on here and hate on TL or Acura owners. You can go to a Lexus or TOYota site with this foolishness.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Personally, I believe that it all depends on the features that you would be using...For example:

1) Do you see yourself using bluetooth/voice command?
2) Does it really make a difference if the car has 225 hp as opposed to 270? Would it really change your driving habits?
3) What's more important to you? Quality or performance?
4) Do you plan on selling the car after a few years or keeping it for a long time? I am assuming that Lexus would probably have better resale value than the Acura (correct me if i am wrong)
5) Are you into technology in cars? For example, the features in the TL are GREAT and the ES330 doesn't have those features

I had the same question in my mind when I was deciding to buy a car, but I love my decision. I bought a TL because performance and features mean a lot more to me. The quality is also there in Acura but not as much as Lexus, but it's not bad...Lexus would probably give you a smoother ride...so let's say if you commute to work for an hour or so and you have certain back pains or whatever, then maybe Lexus would be more suitable for you because of its comfort...

all these decisions should be made after looking at your lifestyle...both cars are great, but what's more important to you...