TL type S vs. IS350

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 05:04 AM
w202 on carlssons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL type S vs. IS350

heres the link to the club lexus forum. videos inside.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291199

read comments. i can't believe how bias these guys are. yes, i've been in an IS350. yeah they're really fast. but they think that their car is the fastest car in the world. i don't understand why all these lexus bmw benz. guys are looking down on acuras? acuras are up in the top spots too. i'm not saying anything about the race in the videos but i just want to see what kind of responces you guys think of their bias opinions. yeah, usually people favor their own car. like how the guys are saying 'definite bs' and junk. what is that!? they don't know the potential in our cars. sorry if this is a repost or something. just decided to vent about how others look down on acuras.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:14 AM
Racer

Most of these 'douche bags' bought a Lexus, BMW or Benz just for the names. IS350 are fast, but they can't handle for sh1t! and it is only offered in automatic, so most of the drivers are not real car enthusiast, but people how are interested in cars.

Its ok, I see these threads EVERYWHERE! when the comparo of G37 beats the 335i in a comparo, the beamers guys on e90 went bat shit. Point is there are douche on every car forum, its just so there are more on clublexus, beamerforums...etc
Old 07-01-2007, 06:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I think this article says it all...

http://www./forums/showthread.php?p=...=1#post1133015
Old 07-01-2007, 07:21 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I think this article says it all...

http://www./forums/showthread.php?p=...=1#post1133015
The link isn't working.

For the main topic, I usually just disregard them. They've been behaving like that since the new generation ISs have came out. I could kinda understand their behaviors because the last generation (IS300 stock) were pretty darn slow.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
oops...forgot about that...

It's a best motoring article where Keiichi Tsuchiya drives the G35, IS350, and TL Type-S on the same road course and the TL beats both competitors by a nearly a full second. The only FWD car in the bunch and the lowest on HP cleans up on a road course driven by a professional race car driver. I think that says tons about the suspension setup of the TL.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
doesnt really look all that biased. Some guys actually made some good points in there.

But you have to expect a little bit of loyalty from a forum dedicated to the IS.

This is why I dont allow TL vs. threads in 3G. They always end up getting ugly.

You post a thread here in Car Talk and you get opinions from either side of the spectrum.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:52 AM
03 ACURA TL TYPE S

also in a dead stop i'll admit a G35, IS350, and a maxima will beat me, but on a roll,no way i have never been beaten and that BS that the lexus has better handling, i think it's funny no way a rear wheel drive car is gonna have better handling than an front
Old 07-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Race Director

Well not all Lexus people hate Acuras. Look at this post someone bought an RL and posted about it and everyone had nice things to say about it. http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290772

Anyway these IS guys just dont seem to want to admit it. There car lost and instead of being big about it they just want to deny it. The IS is an auto only so I am sure that could have slowed down the car enough for the TL to beat it.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,103 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
doesnt really look all that biased. Some guys actually made some good points in there.

But you have to expect a little bit of loyalty from a forum dedicated to the IS.

The other issue is "faster" is all relative, even with the same driver. Laguna Seca [Mazda Raceway] v. Nurburgring are totally different courses, so the G may be faster than the IS on one, but not the other course, while the IS may may be faster than the 3-series on a drag track, etc. etc.

When you get into differences of less than a half-second on quarter mile times and on road courses, driver differences rather than the basic car will make the difference. I bet I can beat most Porsche 911 drivers who are trying to drink coffee on either a road course or an 1/8 mile drag. Then again, a Busch series driver in a 4-cylinder Accord would probably kick my butt at Laguna Seca.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And the TL actually has a real, live functioning back seat! Not sure why they even made the IS a 4-door.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by goturcode
also in a dead stop i'll admit a G35, IS350, and a maxima will beat me, but on a roll,no way i have never been beaten and that BS that the lexus has better handling, i think it's funny no way a rear wheel drive car is gonna have better handling than an front
Rear wheel drive is going to have better handling on the track or in general because the front wheels don't have to do all of the work of acceleration and steering.

The only time FWD is an advantage in handling is at slow to moderate speeds in low traction conditions.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Race Director

lexus fanboys

i like the TL type S and G35

to me the rearend of the Type S and G35 look badass, whereas the IS350 doesn't look aggressive to me at all and it looks like a small car from the rear with no rearseat room anyways. Also, where are the LED taillights on the Lexus?
Old 07-01-2007, 01:51 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts

It's a best motoring article where Keiichi Tsuchiya drives the G35, IS350, and TL Type-S on the same road course and the TL beats both competitors by a nearly a full second. The only FWD car in the bunch and the lowest on HP cleans up on a road course driven by a professional race car driver. I think that says tons about the suspension setup of the TL.
You mean this article?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156967

lol it's actually 2 seconds not just 1

From those videos in the Lexus forum, looks like the guy in the Lexus get a good launch, and/or may be he had one more guy (camera man). But nonetheless, it proves that from a roll (right after the launch), neither the IS or TL can pull away from each other.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:54 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by wackjum
Rear wheel drive is going to have better handling on the track or in general because the front wheels don't have to do all of the work of acceleration and steering.

The only time FWD is an advantage in handling is at slow to moderate speeds in low traction conditions.

You should also add that RWD is the ultimate choice for motorsport racing. In street cars, FWD can be faster than RWD as proven by the TL-S on a track.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:02 PM
I can't find my garage

Old 07-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iforyou
You should also add that RWD is the ultimate choice for motorsport racing. In street cars, FWD can be faster than RWD as proven by the TL-S on a track.
In similarly powered cars, usually the deciding factor of a race would be the one with the quicker reaction time. IF you look at the videos again, look at how much sooner the TL reacted to "1,2,3,go"
Old 07-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jackygor
Most of these 'douche bags' bought a Lexus, BMW or Benz just for the names. IS350 are fast, but they can't handle for sh1t! and it is only offered in automatic, so most of the drivers are not real car enthusiast, but people how are interested in cars.

Point is there are douche on every car forum, its just so there are more on clublexus, beamerforums...etc

Easy, Tiger. I wouldn't be so quick to say most BMW owners bought their car for the badge only. I think it's safe to say most BMW owners value performance and handling over cupholders and massaging seats (the cupholders in my ///M suck!)

Every major marque builds cars for middle-aged women and for people who want DVD players in their cars. Some have a few performance models. The fact is BMW continues to offer more performance-oriented models than any other manufacturer (Z4,335i,M3,M5,M6,M Coupe,M Roadster, upcoming 1-series, etc.)

So yes, there are douches on every forum. But don't be so presumptuous as to say most buy BMWs for the roundel. *I have a TSX too, btw*
Old 07-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission

You post a thread here in Car Talk and you get opinions from either side of the spectrum.

I do the same thing... I locked a CL vs. Altima thread today in the 2GCL forum... Told the OP to post in here so he could debate with the Nissan Fanbois (where's Lee ?? )
Old 07-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

How fast is the IS350 in the 1/4?
Old 07-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Magic Man
How fast is the IS350 in the 1/4?
Somewhere around 14.0-14.2s.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
My take . . .

I have both a 2001 CL-S and a 2003 IS300 (old model) and as a drivers car the IS300 kicks Acura's ass. Mileage is piss poor on the IS and not enough room for some, but definitely a better built and more fun to drive car. The CL-S wins on LONG road trips on the interstate. Oh, and Acura: quality control? We don't need no stinking quality control!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:16 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
[QUOTE=Jackygor]Most of these 'douche bags' bought a Lexus, BMW or Benz just for the names.

That is a very ignorant statement but I guess since your only 19 that's kind of expected. Most car enthusiasts don't just by their cars for the names. I own both an Acura CLS and BMW 5 series and I love both for different reasons. It's a natural human response for people to take pride in what they own and think what the have is better than others.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MSO4gtt
Somewhere around 14.0-14.2s.
do a search....plenty of IS350 doing mid-hi 13s...even mags get high 13s
Old 07-01-2007, 08:10 PM
F1 cart racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
revitupwriteitoff...............i see u posting over there...hehe i'm a member also over there since i have a 250.

anyways i think the race would be close, especially is the TLS is a 6 speed. i've driven both cars and love both cars, but i needed awd so the 250 it was......but i am looking for a CLS6 for a weekend play car
Old 07-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
do a search....plenty of IS350 doing mid-hi 13s...even mags get high 13s
I looked harder, and you're right. High 13s it is.

Edmunds: 13.9

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...1/pageNumber=6

Road&Track: 13.5
(also 14.5 in separate test)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=4462

Car&Driver: 13.7

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...xus-is350.html

Motor Trend: 13.8

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rack_test.html
Old 07-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=clpassenubye]
Most of these 'douche bags' bought a Lexus, BMW or Benz just for the names.

That is a very ignorant statement but I guess since your only 19 that's kind of expected. Most car enthusiasts don't just by their cars for the names. I own both an Acura CLS and BMW 5 series and I love both for different reasons. It's a natural human response for people to take pride in what they own and think what the have is better than others.
Sorry if you misunderstood what i was trying to convey. Yes, you are right, most car enthusiast don't just buy a car for its brand, but the rest of the people who are not car enthusiast do. Thats why brand cognition sells, thats why Honda made Acura, thats why Nissan Infiniti and that is why Toyota made Lexus.

There is a fine line between being prideful and being blinded by it. Most of the people on Clublexus (especially the IS350 section) are blinded by their sense of pride. The 'douche bags' I was talking about knows almost nothing about cars, and they will throw insults at any cars that are not made by Lexus. I am not saying only Clublexus has fanboys, all of car forums has them, it is just that there are more on other forums than others.

And yes, all 19 year old makes "ignorant statements".
Old 07-01-2007, 11:39 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by importtuner
In similarly powered cars, usually the deciding factor of a race would be the one with the quicker reaction time. IF you look at the videos again, look at how much sooner the TL reacted to "1,2,3,go"
That's right, if you react quicker, for sure you will have a better chance of winning. But my point was about racing on a track, as in not just drag racing, but with corners. This was proven by keiichi Tsuchiya at Willow Springs track.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:43 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Sorry if you misunderstood what i was trying to convey. Yes, you are right, most car enthusiast don't just buy a car for its brand, but the rest of the people who are not car enthusiast do. Thats why brand cognition sells, thats why Honda made Acura, thats why Nissan Infiniti and that is why Toyota made Lexus.

There is a fine line between being prideful and being blinded by it. Most of the people on Clublexus (especially the IS350 section) are blinded by their sense of pride. The 'douche bags' I was talking about knows almost nothing about cars, and they will throw insults at any cars that are not made by Lexus. I am not saying only Clublexus has fanboys, all of car forums has them, it is just that there are more on other forums than others.

And yes, all 19 year old makes "ignorant statements".
What you said is very right, but I think you might consider heading over to some G35 forums, I find that they are even more ignorant. From my memory, the people at the IS forum aren't that bad; they were discussing an Japanese article which shows lap times at Willow Springs of TL-S, G35, and IS350. The article says the TL-S was about 2 seconds faster than both G35 and IS, and most people there seem to praise the TL a lot and have no problem accepting that fact. In the G35 forum however, there were a lot of negative/ignorant comments.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by iforyou
What you said is very right, but I think you might consider heading over to some G35 forums, I find that they are even more ignorant. From my memory, the people at the IS forum aren't that bad; they were discussing an Japanese article which shows lap times at Willow Springs of TL-S, G35, and IS350. The article says the TL-S was about 2 seconds faster than both G35 and IS, and most people there seem to praise the TL a lot and have no problem accepting that fact. In the G35 forum however, there were a lot of negative/ignorant comments.
Haha, i live there baby (G35drivers)! Yes, some people there are against FWD there and do not consider TL-S as a competitor at all, but on many levels, I understand the mentality behind that.

I used to think like that thinking FWD can NEVER out handle RWD or AWD, but the recent introduction of Civic Type-R which has similar time as the NSX on the same track is crazy!

Seeing how Honda can achieve such feat, I am not surprised that TL-S can out do the G35 on track.

Coming from a G, I personally LOVEEEE the TL-S, quad exhaust, new rims, bigger engine...etc. But I prefer the G because it you can feel like the G-force pressing against you! which is only something RWD can do best.

It is good to see Acura putting SH-AWD in all of there cars in the next line-up, it will be interesting to see how it goes.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:21 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Haha, i live there baby (G35drivers)! Yes, some people there are against FWD there and do not consider TL-S as a competitor at all, but on many levels, I understand the mentality behind that.

I used to think like that thinking FWD can NEVER out handle RWD or AWD, but the recent introduction of Civic Type-R which has similar time as the NSX on the same track is crazy!

Seeing how Honda can achieve such feat, I am not surprised that TL-S can out do the G35 on track.

Coming from a G, I personally LOVEEEE the TL-S, quad exhaust, new rims, bigger engine...etc. But I prefer the G because it you can feel like the G-force pressing against you! which is only something RWD can do best.

It is good to see Acura putting SH-AWD in all of there cars in the next line-up, it will be interesting to see how it goes.
I watched that Civic Type R in Best Motoring too...it was simply amazing. Honestly i wasn't 100% convinced that the TL-S can beat its RWD competitors at Willow Springs by 2 seconds, but after watching how even a civic can outperform NSX/Skyline/RX7/Lan Evo, I have no doubt about the performance/handling of the TL-S. Honda is just amazing when it comes to FWD. Nonetheless, I still think that if the TL had a proper RWD or AWD layout, it could've performed even better and completely outclass its competitors.

In terms of appearance, at first sight, I was Acura had overdone it a bit with quad exhaust, those rear tailights, etc. But then seeing the real car is a whole different story.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:22 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bottom line is that one driver beat another driver in that video. I have seen blown vettes run 14's at the track, loosing to 350z's. It was a drivers race. If you want to know who the better driver is, race off the line. If you want to know which car is faster, run from a roll. Thats it.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:33 AM
F1 cart racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i made a quick comment in their thread about a boosted cl-s with a turbo, the one for sale currently in black market, and they went ape shit about the motor blowing up and why only 5 kits were made. some people are way to much of a fan boy over there. fucking jackasses sometimes.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:38 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AS3.0CL
i made a quick comment in their thread about a boosted cl-s with a turbo, the one for sale currently in black market, and they went ape shit about the motor blowing up and why only 5 kits were made. some people are way to much of a fan boy over there. fucking jackasses sometimes.
There are fan boys everywhere these days. The younger gen are not gear heads anymore, but fan boys. A few weeks back, my little cousin(who is a sentra fan boy) started talking shit about the civic and how honda lost it's way, the sr20 is the best thing since penis entered vagina, etc. I told him to stfu, the new civic runs circles around the new sentra, let's not even bring up the SI. His 14.99 1/4 mile time that he spent 5 grand to get, would cost a civic si owner um.......nothing to run faster than that. He then started knocking my Trans Am and that the LS1 is garbage, yet didnt want to run with me. So i told him i'd race him in my v8 Grand Cherokee and he still declined. Fan boys are a fine bunch.