TL for RDX or MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL for RDX or MDX?

im considering trading the TL for one of the two...any suggestions, advice, flaming....? im all ears.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I was able to drive an RDX when my TL was in the shop for a recall.

It was definitely better power wise than the 4 banger TSX and it obviously handles differently from the TL, but it lacks the low end power of a 6 cyl. The power is also a bit peaky (sp).
Old 09-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Test drove both the new RDX and MDX when I had my TL in for service.

RDX - Very quick and handles beautifully but it didn't feel as luxurious as the TL or MDX. This RDX still had a few rattles, don't know if it's all of them or just the one I had.

MDX - Huge SUV lol very roomy and very luxurious! The power was pretty good too. I love the way it looks, very aggressive . MPG was not very impressive though but that's what you get with a huge SUV.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I think it depends on what you want to use it for. RDX is smaller and probably more nibble and sporty. MDX is larger, more for family and traveling. Probably better for towing.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Racer

thanks for the input! im wanting a larger vehicle mainly for the use of home items and Lowe's runs...im not a truck guy at all so i figured a SUV would be a good compromise. The RDX requires premium gas as well as Synthetic oil (cost could add up). As far as power, the 4 cy-turbo is pretty stout output (hp and torque wise) seems impressive. The MDX is rather large and not sure i want to drive a land shark around (the TL is pushing it as far as size is concerned) and the MPG have to be pretty harsh.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Well, which ever you get, make sure you get the trunk or back area tray if your going to use it for Lowe's and Homedepot runs. It will help protect the interior.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 AM
08 TL Navi NBP - 08 MDX

I have an MDX too, believe it or not, I find it one of the most sedan-like suv's out there. It is very stable and does not fill tippy. W/ the overworked RDX engine, the mpg is not much better as I understand than the MDX. The MDX also has the power tailgate option. The RDX didn't at the time, and was not very easy to close if I remember correctly.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts
I was considering a new or lightly used mdx for my wife, but prices are way up there. I really like the styling of the new one, vs the older one.
As far as the RDX, that has no appeal to me. It's pretty small, only convenience is the tailgate. I really wish they would import the European Accord Wagon [our TSX]. The american version of the accord wagon will look pretty pathetic from the photos i've seen.

Anyways, to your dilema, for me it's MDX or not an acura, because the RDX to me has almost no value.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by dchian
I have an MDX too, believe it or not, I find it one of the most sedan-like suv's out there. It is very stable and does not fill tippy. W/ the overworked RDX engine, the mpg is not much better as I understand than the MDX. The MDX also has the power tailgate option. The RDX didn't at the time, and was not very easy to close if I remember correctly.
I took some crazy corners with it and it felt pretty stable! I love the engine growl when you hit V-TEC!
Old 09-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
I also had a MDX and an RDX as loaners when my car was in the shop.

RDX - I was suprised how quick it was. Fun to drive and overall nice experience.

MDX - Big. Very first thing I noticed was the uncomfortable seat and then I didn't like the layout of the dashboard/buttons. It's also a nice, luxurious vehicle but I much prefer the RDX over the MDX cus of the better handling, it's quicker and more fun to drive.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:19 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
trade for an audi Q5
Old 09-27-2009, 06:48 AM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by dchian
Did you test drive an Audi Q7 at all? I'm looking at both the MDX and the Q7 and I'd be interested in your input.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Of the two you considered, and for the uses you state, the MDX is the clear winner.

First, the MDX is a major step up in refinement and luxury from the TL. It is basically an RL SUV.
Second, SH-AWD really helps the MDX (or RDX for that matter) so that it feels nimbler than its bulk would suggest.

I tried to talk my wife into an MDX but she preferred a Pilot which while OK, is not in the same neighborhood or planet of refinement of the MDX.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Of the two you considered, and for the uses you state, the MDX is the clear winner.

First, the MDX is a major step up in refinement and luxury from the TL. It is basically an RL SUV.
Second, SH-AWD really helps the MDX (or RDX for that matter) so that it feels nimbler than its bulk would suggest.

I tried to talk my wife into an MDX but she preferred a Pilot which while OK, is not in the same neighborhood or planet of refinement of the MDX.
We've test drove the MDX a couple of times and have been fairly impressed with the SH-AWD's ability to control its heft...and its refinement was even more notable to us in comparison to our Accord.

As the lease on our AV6 is drawing to a close, my wife is smitten with the MDX but feels about the Pilot. At this point, she's torn between the MDX and the 09 Murano. Being the primary driver in the household (I'm on the train every day, while she commutes via car), she'll have the most weight in the final decision.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I have an RDX. I like it, but if it wasn't for the huge difference in lease price I would rather have gotten an MDX.

My only complaint is the lack of low end power. When you need to squirt out of a parking spot or a lane change from very low speeds, it gets scary at how lagged the engine is to go go go!

Other than that, no complaints. It handles well, and once at speed, drives nicely, always with reserve power..
Old 09-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
I would most definitely go for the MDX if I were you. I've owned both an 07 TL and an 07 MDX Elite(CND) and I would most certainly go for the latter It is powerful, fun to drive around and very well suited, lots of bells and whistles for the money, really like an RL with higher ground clearance. I've also driven the RDX and while I appreciated the compact size and somewhat zippy engine, it just wasn't for me. Like neuronbob mentionned, it does feel like a stepdown coming from a TL.

Originally Posted by keg1997
Did you test drive an Audi Q7 at all? I'm looking at both the MDX and the Q7 and I'd be interested in your input.
The Audi Q7 is a great SUV as well, probably among my favorites SUVs on the road today. If you haven't driven one, you'll find that it is a lot bigger, more quieter, more refined than the MDX is a vehicle. Although it is fairly big, it has the smallest turning circle I've ever seen on any SUV/Car because of that Audi Drive Select system. Make sure you get the S-Line Pkg if you ever get one.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by nokiaman
I would most definitely go for the MDX if I were you. I've owned both an 07 TL and an 07 MDX Elite(CND) and I would most certainly go for the latter It is powerful, fun to drive around and very well suited, lots of bells and whistles for the money, really like an RL with higher ground clearance. I've also driven the RDX and while I appreciated the compact size and somewhat zippy engine, it just wasn't for me. Like neuronbob mentionned, it does feel like a stepdown coming from a TL.

The Audi Q7 is a great SUV as well, probably among my favorites SUVs on the road today. If you haven't driven one, you'll find that it is a lot bigger, more quieter, more refined than the MDX is a vehicle. Although it is fairly big, it has the smallest turning circle I've ever seen on any SUV/Car because of that Audi Drive Select system. Make sure you get the S-Line Pkg if you ever get one.
We're looking at replacing my wife's car too, and the I looked at the Q7. My only concern about it, is the reviews. Lots of people report having problems with it, and also report needing new brakes between 16 and 22k miles.
It's dissapointing, because I really liked the style and space the Q7 offered, but I scratched it off the list. The bmw X5 seems to be getting great customer reviews [especially the older gen], so we'll look at those, and we're looking for MDX, or possibly an Odyssey Touring.
I really wish they had a TSX Wagon, like they do in europe
Old 09-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If money is no concern, MDX is definitely a better car for your needs as described.

I am quite happy with my RDX, because for my needs RDX was a better tool.
It takes a bit of learning to figure out how to make a turbo-engine work to its maximum potential though.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:01 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Out of the two choices get the MDX......the RDX is
Old 09-28-2009, 08:00 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
We have a 2002 MDX purchased new. I have no regrets at all. My wife uses it as a DD and I use it to haul stuff. After 50k miles we have had zero problems. No tires, brakes, nothing. On occasion we have had to carry six or seven passengers.

I find driving the MDX similar to driving the Legend sedan that I had. No it's not a car but still not bad. I don not understand the RSX on a number of levels. It will not haul very much and does not get good gas mileage imho. The MDX has had to carry refrigerator and other furniture at times without any problem, good luck.