Is the TL a gateway drug to BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:55 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 982 Likes on 530 Posts
Originally Posted by TL2498
Not me. I'll downgrade before I go Euro. Unless I can find a sweet deal on an M3.
With your avatar, you should be 75.....

And I became a Subaru guy after my TL......

Would I like a BMW? Yes. Am I willing to put up with extortion to have a service / repair work done? No.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Not just another newbie!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmako
With your avatar, you should be 75.....
And with yours, you should be getting headgaskets replaced... so whats your point?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Pro

BMW..nope not for me. My parents own a new X5 its a really nice suv, but not for me. I will got one of 2 routes.
Pickup truck- ( just bought a house with some land so i'll need somthing to haul shit around in)
or lexus. I've herd so many good things about lexus.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
The TL is the gateway to the ZDX.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Not for me BMW isnt. I dont think at this point in my life you could pay me to drive one. Audi is the better possibility for me (from the german side). ??

You mentioned this a few times before but never gave a reason. What turns you off about BMW? Just curious.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 982 Likes on 530 Posts
Originally Posted by TL2498
And with yours, you should be getting headgaskets replaced... so whats your point?
I'm making a joke because your AV is a tag required for drivers 75 and older here, you resort to something that was an issue on the 1998 - 2002 cars.

My car has a different engine than those models (look at the picture on the left.....no hood scoop = 3.0 spec B, not the 2.0 turbo). And my signature does not give that fact away. Try again.

Last edited by mrmako; 12-15-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:46 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
My wife and I went from an 04 TSX and an 06 Audi A4 2.0T quattro to an 09 BMW 335i coupe and an 10 Audi S4. What got us into these 2 cars were the fact that we wanted to stay in the luxury segment, with more power, no FWD, and gotta have manual transmissions. That didn't leave us many choices.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
You mentioned this a few times before but never gave a reason. What turns you off about BMW? Just curious.
Maintenance, I have a few friends that were butt raped by non stop maintenance (trans, head gaskets, brakes, ps pumps rear ends). Whether or not that would happen to me? But i do put close to 50k miles a year on and thats a lot of miles for a car, especially one thats known to need expensive maint often. Im also not a fan of the snobbish BMW im better than you mentality that most that own one has.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:24 PM
I excelence!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just got an 04 6mt TL in October...and in 3.5 years when its paid off...im gunna get an 07-08 TL-S 6mt...i LOVE the 3G TL's
Old 12-15-2009, 09:39 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Why, when you are done paying off a car, would you get rid of it and get essentially the same thing?
Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 PM
I excelence!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well...right now i have a base 04 tl 6mt...an 08 6mt tl-s w/ navi will def be an upgrade. plus less miles ftw...ill prolly keep the 04 until i can find exactly what i want, color, milage, features, etc....Plus i HATE how the 4g tl's look...i dont care if its awd its FUGLY compared to the 3G
Old 12-15-2009, 10:04 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Yes, the 4G is one of the ugliest car out there. By far.

I just don't see how going from the same car to the same car is satisfying. I really like my TL and plan on keeping it until it stops working, but no way in hell would I get another one. I don't get the new car itch every 3 or 4 years like some members but I do like to mix it up. Plus Audi makes a hell of a car
Old 12-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Maintenance, I have a few friends that were butt raped by non stop maintenance (trans, head gaskets, brakes, ps pumps rear ends). Whether or not that would happen to me? But i do put close to 50k miles a year on and thats a lot of miles for a car, especially one thats known to need expensive maint often. Im also not a fan of the snobbish BMW im better than you mentality that most that own one has.

I can understand the first reason.

The second reason is silly. They not snobby.. they just happy with themselves.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:23 AM
Banned

I'd be more bothered by BMW snobbery if not for the fact that its largely justified. 50/50 weight distribution, RWD, it's a stylistic trend setter, and everyone who drives one says the handling is unmatched. Most other luxury makes are described as a poor man's BMW to one extent or another, not the least of which including the TSX and TL. I definitely think BMW and the 3 series specifically are the benchmark that other mainstream luxury brands try to match and never really achieve and then their retort is that they're cheaper than BMW. And of course they are, because all they really did was tune an Altima or an Accord suspension and try to pass it off as a purpose built sports car.

People who are dignified in not buying a BMW say they're unreliable, and they might be, but that just plays into the snobbery. Their attitude is that they're such purists that they'd rather spend countless hours reading magazines in the repair shop waiting area than suffer some Japanese made FWD pseudo sports sedan.

Frankly if they're willing to put up with the unreliability and all that much more money on depreciation just for the thrill of the ride they're entitled to hold their nose up.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by _Helios_
I'd be more bothered by BMW snobbery if not for the fact that its largely justified. 50/50 weight distribution, RWD, it's a stylistic trend setter, and everyone who drives one says the handling is unmatched. Most other luxury makes are described as a poor man's BMW to one extent or another, not the least of which including the TSX and TL. I definitely think BMW and the 3 series specifically are the benchmark that other mainstream luxury brands try to match and never really achieve and then their retort is that they're cheaper than BMW. And of course they are, because all they really did was tune an Altima or an Accord suspension and try to pass it off as a purpose built sports car.

People who are dignified in not buying a BMW say they're unreliable, and they might be, but that just plays into the snobbery. Their attitude is that they're such purists that they'd rather spend countless hours reading magazines in the repair shop waiting area than suffer some Japanese made FWD pseudo sports sedan.

Frankly if they're willing to put up with the unreliability and all that much more money on depreciation just for the thrill of the ride they're entitled to hold their nose up.
While a counterargument as such can be made regarding the TL (re: Accord), the same cannot be made regarding Infiniti G37 (which was implicit with the 'Altima' reference) as its setup is shared with the 370Z (a bonafide sports car). That said, there's nothing pseudo-sports sedan about the Infiniti G; it's the real deal. AND you need not worry about the VQ37 having cooling issues.

I've spent plenty of time behind the wheel of the E90 (base and N54) and it's a great car. But I do find its price premium over the Infiniti G to be totally unjustifiable.

As for the TL, the only area where it needs to be slammed is with regard to its exterior styling. That aside, it's an awesome car with superb all around performance despite being based on a FWD family sedan....albeit the best family sedan on the market.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

No, because no matter what they and the car they drive arent any better than any one else's. It is just showing off that they have more money to waste.

And there is nothing wrong with FWD, Especially with someone who knows how to drive it. Ive seen (including myself) many FWD daily driven cars butt rape BMWs on road courses (cars of similar weight and mods)

Last edited by fsttyms1; 12-16-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Banned

No, because no matter what they and the car they drive arent any better than any one else's. It is just showing off that they have more money to waste.
I'm not saying it gives them a right to cut people off in traffic or whatever, but they're making a bigger sacrifice that most people in terms of what they're spending and what they're getting back out of it.

I can afford a BMW but that doesn't mean I like to burn money. I get bad buyers remorse if I feel like I just pissed away a lot of money, which is why I like Acura. I'm almost certain that if I bought a BMW I'd constantly was myself "was this worth it?" Acuras fit my personality... and maybe thats not always such a good thing.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by F23A4
I've spent plenty of time behind the wheel of the E90 (base and N54) and it's a great car. But I do find its price premium over the Infiniti G to be totally unjustifiable.
That's the point though. It's not so much about one car being better than another as much as BMW having built up a reputation for not simply borrowing from the parts bin of cars that were designed to be affordable and economical.

And this business about FWD being OK if you know what you're doing - I don't even know if that's true or not but it's a compromise someone shouldn't have to make. Acura expects their customers to make that compromise, or more likely, to not understand the difference between the two.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Im also not a fan of the snobbish BMW im better than you mentality that most that own one has.
That too. The raging douchcockery over at 1addicts or Bimmerpost is pretty hilarous. It's probably just because you get a higher percentage of spoiled brats and shameless fanboys in their late teens/early twenties who frequent car forums, but IDK sometimes.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
That's the point though. It's not so much about one car being better than another as much as BMW having built up a reputation for not simply borrowing from the parts bin of cars that were designed to be affordable and economical.
Again, this does not apply to the Infiniti G because it shares NO components with the Altima V6/Maxima. (Even when both had the VQ35DE, they were two totally different engines and neither shared a chassis.)

That said, what other parts bin is their for BMW to share anyway? They have no pedestrian lineup underlying its luxury brand. (The Mini brand was just an addon.) But if that's your hangup then, Audi and Porsche are just as guilty as Acura given their component sharing with VW. And there's no question that Audi is clearly on par with BMW.

As for Acura, your assertion may be the case. But, it sure enough didn't prevent the Real Time Acura TSX team from snagging yet another SCCA Touring Car title.

I have no problem with people moving on to BMW from Acura AND I have no problem with several of the arguments being made against Honda/Acura with respect to their product development direction. However, it's more important to know the difference between a real brand liability issue (i.e.: RWD & V8 availability, dubious styling) and faux liabilities (i.e.: chassis sharing with the Accord).
Old 12-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My main problem with some of the German makers is that they claim to be masters of the engineering universe, then expect you to put up with their shit going wrong and breaking down. If I'm going to pay premium money for a premium car, it should be the most reliable and trouble free car on the road. And then I shouldn't have to pay 3x as much to fix the damn thing on the rare occasion some component did go bad.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
That too. The raging douchcockery over at 1addicts or Bimmerpost is pretty hilarous. It's probably just because you get a higher percentage of spoiled brats and shameless fanboys in their late teens/early twenties who frequent car forums, but IDK sometimes.

Buy a car you want and like because of what if offers and feels. Not buying because its associated with a certain "type" just seems odd to me. Who cares what anyone thinks.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,768 Likes on 13,963 Posts
Buy a car you want and like because of what if offers and feels. Not buying because its associated with a certain "type" just seems odd to me. Who cares what anyone thinks.

One should not deprive themselves of a good product because of an "idiot" minority...
Old 12-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

I was just coming in to post something like that. I wasn't sure if I was just reading some of the replies wrong... but it boggled my mind that people would not buy a specific car just b/c of how OTHERS either act or b/c of what OTHERS may think.

I know a lot of nice people, and I know some douches. When I go car shopping I don't think of what cars they drive before making my brand decisions... I buy what I want.

Very weird...
Old 12-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,768 Likes on 13,963 Posts
^ Although...for clothing, I absolutely will NEVER EVAR buy Ed Hardy stuff. Don't care how nice people who wear them claim to be.

Just sayin'.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
If you must know my buddy owns a trading firm and we just completed the documentation required to bring me on as a partner. Additionally another friend of mine owns a mortgage company and I am opening a North Carolina branch for him. Between the two I could have one in a few months... however, we are getting ready to move... so the cars will be on a back burner for a few months. Plus, I promised my wife the next car...
Actually I thought a few months back you were the one who PM'd me about a certian "health juice" business that you recently got into and was asking me how I was doing in my "business" as well(no spam allowed). If it wasn't you then I'm tripping out and forget everything I said. Anyways, good luck with your other business ventures.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by madcaps
Actually I thought a few months back you were the one who PM'd me about a certian "health juice" business that you recently got into and was asking me how I was doing in my "business" as well(no spam allowed). If it wasn't you then I'm tripping out and forget everything I said. Anyways, good luck with your other business ventures.
LOL... yeah, that was me. Forgot I PMed you. We still do that as well, but that is a part-time/side business... just something we do as we go along day to day. Business there has been really good as well... but we use that money to just buy little toys. My wife bought some clothes and shoes and I just bought a new Sony LCD TV with PS3 using some of the money we've made from that. Not bad considering we only started in mid-October.

But yeah, the real money is going to come from the other ventures I have my hand in since those are full-time businesses. I put maybe 5 hours a week into the other business at most and we are building that slowly... although if we keep on this pace by the end of 2010 we'll be making $50k+ off of that as well... so who knows... it may eventually help pay for a car!