Tickets On Motorcycle...Court Outcome (LONG read)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tickets On Motorcycle...Court Outcome (LONG read)

2 of my friend and I got on the highway, about 2 miles before we had to switch highways. Nice Sunday afternoon, small amount of traffic. We got on the highway, and I was the 2nd rider. We took off, into the left lane, then crossing back into the right lane to switch highways when we go to the point. I looked in my mirror, under my shoulder, then went into the middle lane...then looked into my mirror, saw the third rider with a Sheriff behind him, looked under my shoulder and merged into their lane. We were switching highways, so I had to get in this lane, but ultimately shouldve just kept going straight on this highway. I was about 30 feet in front of them (the biker and cop) and we were all slowing down, but not pulling over, that time no one knew what to do. So my buddy is right in front of the cop, but going about 20 mph on the highway. He's not pulling over, so I get just inside the line on the shoulder, he finally pulls into the shoulder too, and stops, with the cop stopping behind him. Now I'm about 50 feet up, still rolling, so I get back on the highway and go on my way...figured the cop didn't want me, just him.

My friend gets arrested, towed, and 4 tickets. Cop told him it was his discretion whether or not to take him in, and he wanted to teach him a lesson. Tells him to have me call him becuase he has me on camera, and is putting a warrant out for fleeing and eluding. Now I know what I did/didn't do, and I did not feel threatened by the situation. Police will admit they have trouble radaring 1 bike, let alone 3 bikes, which he is chasing down, claiming they are going over 100 mph. So I call him. I should have called the lawyer first, but I felt confident that the officer did not have anything against me. The officer wanted me to meet him, and since I was respectful and called him, he would cancel the warrant and just write me 2 tickets...90 in a 55 and improper lane usage. Both of which were outrageous, so I was not worried. I met with him, he gave me 2 tickets, and I went home...didn't say a word to him.

Now court comes...the lawyer and I have a good case for not guilty. Or if the officer did not show up, we would go for a dismissal, but he said they would give us a continuance. Since a young man in IL killed himself, a mother and baby, speeding in his Ferrari, everything has changed in Wheaton. Everything is by the book, so the lawyer says it will not be as easy as it once was. Lawyer goes in before court, then comes out and says the judge will screw us becuase he is a crazy old man, and he is the only one in DuPage county with a court reporter recording everything he says becuase he is so unpredictable. He was extremely bi-polar in court, and I was kinda worried. If the officer showed, we would get a continuance to get another judge, if not, then they would give us a continuance...so it looked like I would have to come back...but NO!!

We get called back up becuase we asked for a dismissal, the state's attorney says they want a continuance, the judge says...OK, we will continue this on...then my lawyer cuts him off. He says excuse me judge, let me bring your attention to (takes the prosectutions law book from her) #504 on page yada yada...where it clearly state that in basic terms, for a petty crime, the officer must be present on his call date, and that no contiuance is allowed unless he has good cause for not showing up. So the judge asked why he didn't show up, asks the sheriffs sitting on the side, they don't know. He asks if it is his off day, or if he is on duty, and he is off, so the judge says...get on the phone, get him over here. So I have to sit down and wait. Couple minutes pass, the last guy goes, and we are the only ones left. Judge asks where he lives, and it's about an hour, clerk tells him he'll never make it, judge asks if he'll make it in 45 mins, and then my lawyer butts in stating, we were here today, ready to go, supreme court rule, yada yada...so finally the prosectuer lady is like fine...dismissal, and the judge is like, well if I was the officer, I would have been here, 90 in a 55 is serious, ok dismisall!! Thank God I had such a great lawyer. Like it never happened.

Moral of the story, be a man and do what is right, and the outcome will be as it should!!

Props to anyone who read this!!

Cliff Notes
Friend arrested, camera got my bike, I called cop, got two tickets, cop didn't show up for court, got a dismissal!!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Youre lucky as hell. You also have a good lawyer.

Slow down before you kill yourself. (I read it all)
Old 08-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

90 in a 55? Dismissal? Something is wrong
Old 08-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somebody upstairs likes you.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Pro

Something is wrong? Could you explain?

Ya the lawyer is great. I don't speed usually. I really don't like to speed on the streets, and as we took off, I was thinkin' in my head, man I hope we don't do this the whole way to where we were going. I used to do that dumb stuff, but grew out of it, now I take it to the track...it's just not the same on the street, and not that fun to push it.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Good lawyer but also alot of luck too. I have been to Court with a lawyer for a speeding ticket and it all depends on the mood of the Prosecuting Attorney as well as the Judge....

Good going getting off it.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:26 PM
4-8-15-16-23-42

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I love it when it all works out
Old 08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Wait. You never admitted to anything. Were you speeding or not? If you were in fact going that fast, it's too bad Darwin didn't catch up because that was stupid.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Pro

I think it's safe to say that everybody and their mom has sped before. Although I do not think its right, and am not saying it's right. But it is done. Everyone has done it, and you live and you learn.

90 on the highway is not as bad as 50 in a 25 (because of close proximaty of things), so even if you would say that you've never gone 80, or 90, or 100...probably did something more dangerous off the highway and didn't realize it.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:43 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PolishPete
I think it's safe to say that everybody and their mom has sped before. Although I do not think its right, and am not saying it's right. But it is done. Everyone has done it, and you live and you learn.

90 on the highway is not as bad as 50 in a 25 (because of close proximaty of things), so even if you would say that you've never gone 80, or 90, or 100...probably did something more dangerous off the highway and didn't realize it.

Anyone who claims they have never done 90 is either lying, or should buy a Kia...
Old 08-03-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm here in spirit...

A 90 in a 55 ticket would have sucked! How many points is that? Gotta be at least 4 to 8.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:50 AM
fhwagads

In chicago/illinois in general, if your not going atleast 70-80 on any highway no matter the speed limit your going to get yourself into trouble so 90 is not that bad. Everybody speeds and you dont want to be the guy in the left lane going 5-10 over the limit or your going to cause accidents.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:16 AM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge83
In chicago/illinois in general, if your not going atleast 70-80 on any highway no matter the speed limit your going to get yourself into trouble so 90 is not that bad. Everybody speeds and you dont want to be the guy in the left lane going 5-10 over the limit or your going to cause accidents.

I just had a court date last week for a 81 in 55 ticket on 290.

IMO Michigan state troopers are the best. I've passed a few going 90 in 70 and didn't get pulled over.

PolishPete, did you go to the court on county farm?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

^^
troopers are the best because they dont pull you over when doing 90 on a 70 mph limit road? Use common sense.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:30 AM
I

Originally Posted by zamo
^^
troopers are the best because they dont pull you over when doing 90 on a 70 mph limit road? Use common sense.
Umm, it's the friggin highway. How many people have not gone 20 over on the highway.

I bet you're one of those people who drive the speed limit in the fast lane and cause more accidents than anyone else.

Last edited by FastAcura; 08-03-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Cause of power outages...

Originally Posted by soopa

Anyone who claims they have never done 90 is either lying, or should buy a Kia...

It's one thing to do 90 on an expressway, where the roads are built for it. It's quite another to do 100 on a country road (like I did once with a buddy, not exactly smart...).

The night I went 100, though, was a lot of fun, cause then we took my friend's Jeep and drove over some huge piles of gravel and stuff. Can't beat speed and all-terrain in one night.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Originally Posted by FastAcura
Umm, it's the friggin highway. How many people have not gone 20 over on the highway.

I bet you're one of those people who drive the speed limit in the fast lane and cause more accidents than anyone else.
No, I drive 5 over, or 10 over in some instances, depending on the traffic flow.

Its the way you express yourself, "troopers are the best IMO...".
They are not the best, they are just being tolerant.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:26 AM
I

Originally Posted by zamo
No, I drive 5 over, or 10 over in some instances, depending on the traffic flow.

Its the way you express yourself, "troopers are the best IMO...".
They are not the best, they are just being tolerant.
"The best" as far as not pulling someone over for speeding. I thought that's what we're talking about.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Pro

Yes, court in Wheaton.

We don't have points here...I don't think. Basically you say guilty, and get court supervision (not on record), driving school, and pay fine...which they give to everyone for 1st and 2nd tickets because they make bank. $90 for driving school + the $ for the fine. And if you get 3 tickets in 1 yr you get your license suspended. I believe that is correct for IL.

Last edited by PolishPete; 08-03-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Yes it is!

What'd your buddy get arrested for?