Ticket question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Ticket question

So this morning I was pulled over for not having my headlight/fog lights turn on in foggy weather. Is this an actual violation? I just never heard of it.

Officer gave me a warning for it but then noticed my window tint. Measured it at 13% so sure enough received a citation for it. Calling the county office, it would be $120 ticket. So I called around and to get it 35% (state law is 32%) it would be $180 to do just four doors. (I have Acura RL) Tint guy said I could leave the back as is but it wouldn't look obvious having two different shades. What are your thoughts? I'm told, if I get it replaced, judge MAY either reduce the fine or remove entirely. What are your experiences on something like this?
Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Speak to the court/police and get something in writing.

What we say will probably not hold up in court

"But your honor, the guys on Acurazine said it would be fine"
Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
I know here that its law to have your headlights on when its raining hard enough to you use your wipers or something like that.

As for the tint, just re-do it 35% all around. Thats the state law anyways.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Speak to the court/police and get something in writing.

What we say will probably not hold up in court

"But your honor, the guys on Acurazine said it would be fine"
I just want to know if anyone else has heard of this law before. Leaving head lights on in foggy weather.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Emphasis added

GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2011 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current Through the 2010 Regular Session ***
*** Annotations Current Through October 29, 2010 ***

TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 8. EQUIPMENT AND INSPECTION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
ARTICLE 1. EQUIPMENT GENERALLY
PART 2. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-20 (2011)

§ 40-8-20. When lighted headlights and other lights required

Every vehicle upon a highway within this state at any time from a half-hour after sunset to a half-hour before sunrise and at any time when it is raining in the driving zone and at any other time when there is not sufficient visibility to render clearly discernible persons and vehicles on the highway at a distance of 500 feet ahead shall display lights, including headlights, and illuminating devices as required in this part for different classes of vehicles, subject to exceptions with respect to parked vehicles as stated in this part.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,180 Likes on 688 Posts
Eff the police
Old 02-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Who are you gonna call if your car gets jacked or your house gets burglarized?

I prefer the police.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
It's pretty much common sense ... If it's raining or foggy turn your lights on so when you try to cut me off, I can brace for the damage you're going to do to my car

Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 PM
chronic lurker...

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by aznboi2424

I prefer the police.
Tried that once... the cop said no one was even going to bother looking for my car as there was no funding...

Still haven't found that Integra.

Much easier to make money doing nothing important than protecting/recovering peoples losses.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by Shotgun3131
Tried that once... the cop said no one was even going to bother looking for my car as there was no funding...

Much easier to make money doing nothing important than protecting/recovering peoples losses.
Just out of curiosity, how EXACTLY do you propose they do that? Not what didn't they do for you, but what do YOU propose they do?

Would you like them to assign an officer to each car in the town, just to watch it and make sure it doesn't get stolen?

Or perhaps, assign an investigator to spend 20-30 hours investigating EVERY stolen car in the jurisdiction, which I am sure is only one or two. No need for that officer to respond to rape, home invasion, child abuse or armed robbery 9-1-1 calls...

So, what EXACTLY do you propose the police do?
Old 02-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Originally Posted by charliemike
It's pretty much common sense ... If it's raining or foggy turn your lights on so when you try to cut me off, I can brace for the damage you're going to do to my car

Had I gotten a ticket for this violation, i would have told him that my headlights are set on 'auto' and due to sensitivity of my current setting, headlights didn't come on despite the foggy situation. I'm glad he didn't issue me a citation now that I know there is a law out there for it.

however i am still bumped out about the tint situation. Trying to decide whether to change out four doors only with 35% and leave the back at current setting. i'm told this wouldn't look any.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by baboya96
Had I gotten a ticket for this violation, i would have told him that my headlights are set on 'auto' and due to sensitivity of my current setting, headlights didn't come on despite the foggy situation. I'm glad he didn't issue me a citation now that I know there is a law out there for it.

however i am still bumped out about the tint situation. Trying to decide whether to change out four doors only with 35% and leave the back at current setting. i'm told this wouldn't look any.
Oh, no. It will look any.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by aznboi2424

I prefer the police.
Here in Oregon, the cops seem to spend a lot of time on the freeway shooting radar at cars. Not to many houses getting burglarized on the freeway.

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Just out of curiosity, how EXACTLY do you propose they do that? Not what didn't they do for you, but what do YOU propose they do?

Would you like them to assign an officer to each car in the town, just to watch it and make sure it doesn't get stolen?

Or perhaps, assign an investigator to spend 20-30 hours investigating EVERY stolen car in the jurisdiction, which I am sure is only one or two. No need for that officer to respond to rape, home invasion, child abuse or armed robbery 9-1-1 calls...

There is a lot of revenue generation happening out there. Funny how you can drive at night wearing sunglasses, but the windows in your car must allow more than 32% of light in.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Here in Oregon, the cops seem to spend a lot of time on the freeway shooting radar at cars. Not to many houses getting burglarized on the freeway.

There is a lot of revenue generation happening out there. Funny how you can drive at night wearing sunglasses, but the windows in your car must allow more than 32% of light in.
Police don't need to worry about your eyeballs shooting them with guns hidden behind your sunglasses. Heavily tinted windows makes it impossible to see inside a car on a traffic stop. It has nothing to do with you being able to see out. There is no law specifically against driving with your eyes closed either...

Also, freeway police are generally highway patrol or state police not your local jurisdiction. Different mandates, different missions, different responsibilities.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Oh, no. It will look any.
oh i meant 'funny'
Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Police don't need to worry about your eyeballs shooting them with guns hidden behind your sunglasses. Heavily tinted windows makes it impossible to see inside a car on a traffic stop. It has nothing to do with you being able to see out. There is no law specifically against driving with your eyes closed either...

Also, freeway police are generally highway patrol or state police not your local jurisdiction. Different mandates, different missions, different responsibilities.
maybe I should have said "Highway" In my case it is 4 different jurisdictions! So don't tell me it is their job to pull over drivers with too much tint on the windows. It's a bullshit ticket that could be solved with a warning. It is not just here in Oregon either, many states are facing bankruptcy from lost tax revenue and law inforcement is ramping up these kind of petty tickets to make up for it.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

maybe I should have said "Highway" In my case it is 4 different jurisdictions! So don't tell me it is their job to pull over drivers with too much tint on the windows. It's a bullshit ticket that could be solved with a warning. It is not just here in Oregon either, many states are facing bankruptcy from lost tax revenue and law inforcement is ramping up these kind of petty tickets to make up for it.
State and local governments have a cap (that voters can influence) on the % of total revenue that can be obtained from traffic offenses.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:40 AM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
So this morning I was pulled over for not having my headlight/fog lights turn on in foggy weather. Is this an actual violation? I just never heard of it.

Officer gave me a warning for it but then noticed my window tint. Measured it at 13% so sure enough received a citation for it. Calling the county office, it would be $120 ticket. So I called around and to get it 35% (state law is 32%) it would be $180 to do just four doors. (I have Acura RL) Tint guy said I could leave the back as is but it wouldn't look obvious having two different shades. What are your thoughts? I'm told, if I get it replaced, judge MAY either reduce the fine or remove entirely. What are your experiences on something like this?
Do what they say, or there will be more tickets to pay...
Old 02-18-2011, 01:25 AM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow I am surprised cops even look for those kind of violations must of been local police or sheriff.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:36 PM
chronic lurker...

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I don't actually expect them to be able to protect all vehicles nor did I expect them to actually find my car once it was stolen.

But I do propose that more patrols taking place in high risk areas would in fact cut down on some crime, but seemingly more money is to be made ticketing people for small infractions.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Well I don't actually expect them to be able to protect all vehicles nor did I expect them to actually find my car once it was stolen.

But I do propose that more patrols taking place in high risk areas would in fact cut down on some crime, but seemingly more money is to be made ticketing people for small infractions.
We have found something we agree upon. Well played.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Suzuka Master

State and local governments have a cap (that voters can influence) on the % of total revenue that can be obtained from traffic offenses.
"Where do cities and towns find extra revenue during tough economic times? The answer is from traffic citations and speeding tickets. Speeding tickets are often referred to as "hidden taxes," because they allow governments to collect revenue from residents and non-residents alike. A study by the Journal of Law and Economics found "statistical evidence that local governments use traffic citation to make up for revenue shortfalls."
The study showed that speeding tickets and traffic fines increased the year after a decline in revenue. Local governments love traffic tickets because there is no limit on how many can be issued. The next time you are going 45 mph in a 35 mph zone, consider that you could be traveling through a town in search of much needed tax revenue."

http://www.forbes.com/2010/05/13/sec...nce-irs_2.html
Old 02-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Pet peeve of mine when people dont turn on their lights when its raining/foggy out. Makes me wish all cars came with daytime running lights like in Canada.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:07 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Pet peeve of mine when people dont turn on their lights when its raining/foggy out. Makes me wish all cars came with daytime running lights like in Canada.
I also wish the taillights would be on with the daytime running lights.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:14 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

might have also just used the headlight issue, as a reason to pull you over (since i think in alot of states, illegal tint is not a primary offense, but a secondary one, which they cannot pull you over just for (but the headlight warning just allowed him to though)

lol, here there is kinda when on a motorcycle, your eyes have to be shielded from road debris; ie: sunglasses or a visor on a helmet, something along those lines
Old 02-20-2011, 05:27 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
I absolutely hate it when people don't turn on their lights in the fog and am glad cops pull you over for this. Just because you can see outside doesn't mean others can see you. You can easily rear end someone in heavy fog. I've had to stomp on my breaks so many times because of this. Visibility here can get down to 15-20 ft.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Originally Posted by honda_nut
I absolutely hate it when people don't turn on their lights in the fog and am glad cops pull you over for this. Just because you can see outside doesn't mean others can see you. You can easily rear end someone in heavy fog. I've had to stomp on my breaks so many times because of this. Visibility here can get down to 15-20 ft.
Car headlight was set on auto. it's not like I didn't turn it on intentionally.
it was bumper to bumper traffic. No way I would have hit the car in front of me b/c of foggy situation.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

"Where do cities and towns find extra revenue during tough economic times? The answer is from traffic citations and speeding tickets. Speeding tickets are often referred to as "hidden taxes," because they allow governments to collect revenue from residents and non-residents alike. A study by the Journal of Law and Economics found "statistical evidence that local governments use traffic citation to make up for revenue shortfalls."
The study showed that speeding tickets and traffic fines increased the year after a decline in revenue. Local governments love traffic tickets because there is no limit on how many can be issued. The next time you are going 45 mph in a 35 mph zone, consider that you could be traveling through a town in search of much needed tax revenue."

Hmmm... Maybe things have changed.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
DRLs are great, but there's nothing to illuminate the rear of the car, and many people aren't encouraged to turn on their low-beams when "the lights are on anyways".

At this point, you may as well just mandate low-beam lights at all times, Volvo style.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

As examples, I dug these up:

Texas:

Sec. 720.002. PROHIBITION ON TRAFFIC-OFFENSE QUOTAS. (a) A political subdivision or an agency of this state may not establish or maintain, formally or informally, a plan to evaluate, promote, compensate, or discipline:

(1) a peace officer according to the officer's issuance of a predetermined or specified number of any type or combination of types of traffic citations; or

(2) a justice of the peace or a judge of a county court, statutory county court, municipal court, or municipal court of record according to the amount of money the justice or judge collects from persons convicted of a traffic offense.

(b) A political subdivision or an agency of this state may not require or suggest to a peace officer, a justice of the peace, or a judge of a county court, statutory county court, municipal court, or municipal court of record:

(1) that the peace officer is required or expected to issue a predetermined or specified number of any type or combination of types of traffic citations within a specified period; or

(2) that the justice or judge is required or expected to collect a predetermined amount of money from persons convicted of a traffic offense within a specified period.

(c) Repealed by Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 737, Sec. 1, eff. June 19, 2009.

(d) This section does not prohibit a municipality from obtaining budgetary information from a municipal court or a municipal court of record, including an estimate of the amount of money the court anticipates will be collected in a budget year.

(e) A violation of this section by an elected official is misconduct and a ground for removal from office. A violation of this section by a person who is not an elected official is a ground for removal from the person's position.

(f) In this section:

(1) "Conviction" means the rendition of an order by a court imposing a punishment of incarceration or a fine.

(2) "Traffic offense" means an offense under:

(A) Chapter 521; or

(B) Subtitle C.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Amended by:

Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 737, Sec. 1, eff. June 19, 2009.
Minnesota:

169.985 TRAFFIC CITATION QUOTA PROHIBITED.
A law enforcement agency may not order, mandate, require, or suggest to a peace officer a quota for the issuance of traffic citations, including administrative citations authorized under section 169.999, on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, or yearly basis.

299D.08 TRAFFIC CITATION QUOTA PROHIBITED.
The State Patrol or a law enforcement agency shall not order, mandate, require, or suggest to a patrol trooper, commercial vehicle inspector, or law compliance representative that the patrol trooper, inspector, or representative issue a certain number of traffic citations on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, or yearly quota basis.
California

Arrest Quota Defined

41600. For purposes of this chapter, "arrest quota" means any requirement regarding the number of arrests made, or the number of citations issued, by a peace officer, or parking enforcement employee, or the proportion of those arrests made and citations issued by a peace officer or parking enforcement employee, relative to the arrests made and citations issued by another peace officer or parking enforcement employee, or group of officers or employees.

Added Ch. 1111, Stats. 1976. Effective January 1, 1977.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 105, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003.

Citation Defined

41601. For purposes of this chapter, "citation" means a notice to appear, notice of violation, or notice of parking violation.

Added Ch. 1111, Stats. 1976. Effective January 1, 1977

Arrest Quota Prohibited

41602. No state or local agency employing peace officers or parking enforcement employees engaged in the enforcement of this code or any local ordinance adopted pursuant to this code, may establish any policy requiring any peace officer or parking enforcement employees to meet an arrest quota.

Amended Sec. 3, Ch. 105, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003.

Each state has laws on the books prohibiting Quotas. There have been recent news stories about municipalities violation these laws, but the laws exists in every state and have for years.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Wow. I'm reading this thread and all I can think off is that there are a lot of people that agree that they are doing something illegal like having tinted windows or driving without lights on and that it is the fault of the police for stopping them.

I am NOT being all high and mighty. I have done the same thing. I f-ing got pulled over by the SAME cop twice for tinted windows. I didn't blame him.

Cops are paid to do different jobs. Some are paid to petrol, some to investigate and some just to sit on the highway to ticket people. All are somewhat independent. It is just like a normal company. People in customer service do different jobs from the CEO who does something different from R&D. You will not have the resources to investigate crimes if it were not for the tickets. Necessary evil.

Shotgun - The cop was being honest that no one would look for your stolen car. Kinda sucks and maybe he should have chosen different words, but that is the reality.

OP - My recommendation is to pay the fine, change your tint and remember to turn your lights on. It happens.

Some of you guys need to sit back and think about what cops really do.

Last edited by RaviNJCLs; 02-21-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

I have gotten into the habit of turning my lights on whenever I start the car. It helps that I leave for work before the sun is up.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:25 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Not turning lights on a foggy day = illegal
Tints on the front = illegal

just pay shit and don't do it again.

cops are there to help you out when you need to get helped.

in this case, that particular cop was helping other drivers by preventing crash that might have been caused by you due to not having enough visibility.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I have gotten into the habit of turning my lights on whenever I start the car. It helps that I leave for work before the sun is up.
I like diving before the sun's up. Nice and quiet.

I kind of agree with you on your other points, but IMO going out solely for the purpose of distributing tickets (radar traps, etc.) isn't much more than a money-grabbing scheme. But then again, we only have limited insight into this kind of stuff.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Just so I'm clear.... I don't think I've stated anywhere in this thread that I DISAGREE with his reason to pull me over. My original question was to simply find out 'having no headlight on during foggy weather' is illegal b/c I wasn't aware of it. I guess I know not. I've never said 'screw copy for pulling me over'.

now on the tint question - Once again, I've never said I don't deserve it nor he should waive the citation simply b/c I've never been pulled over before. It is a sucky situation and i'm trying to make a decision whether to change it out completely. Once again, some ppl may have read too much into my questions....
Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Aman
I like diving before the sun's up. Nice and quiet.

I kind of agree with you on your other points, but IMO going out solely for the purpose of distributing tickets (radar traps, etc.) isn't much more than a money-grabbing scheme. But then again, we only have limited insight into this kind of stuff.
I don't disagree with that.

BUT....

Why is it any different than a meter maid? Their function within the police force is to distribute tickets for illegal parking. A trooper actually uses discretion on who they pull over for speeding. You may get away with 5 mph over, but not 10. Part of it is to generate money but it also is meant to protect. All of this helps fund the guy stopping a murder. That is the point.

We see it as a money grabbing scheme and we are also the first ones to complain that crime rates are high and that we need better protection. You can't have it both ways.

Again....I am not perfect when it comes to driving. I speed. I had tinted windows. I even turned on red a couple times. But I also spent 8 years teaching at a college for Criminal Justice and spent a lot of time speaking with cops in my class. We should have more respect for what they do.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Team Owner

Just so I'm clear.... I don't think I've stated anywhere in this thread that I DISAGREE with his reason to pull me over. My original question was to simply find out 'having no headlight on during foggy weather' is illegal b/c I wasn't aware of it. I guess I know not. I've never said 'screw copy for pulling me over'.

now on the tint question - Once again, I've never said I don't deserve it nor he should waive the citation simply b/c I've never been pulled over before. It is a sucky situation and i'm trying to make a decision whether to change it out completely. Once again, some ppl may have read too much into my questions....
I don't thinks that you disagreed. In fact I was sure you agreed with the cop. I think we read more into some of the other posts than yours.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

If you break the law and get caught and ticketed/fined then own up to it especially if you knew you were breaking the law.

As for the OP, you may have not known that you needed your lights on in adverse weather conditions but that violation in itself is a small fine. Also in GA, you can have up to 35% all around. Not sure if OP knew about that or not but im sure if you get that fixed, your ticket will be reduced to just a processing fee (at least in CA).