Thoughts on Ridgeline

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:53 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thoughts on Ridgeline

Hey guys. Sooo me and my wife will be moving soon and as of right now we share the TL but where we are moving leads us not to be able to share the car. I want to give my wife the TL and I want a truck. And then 2 Honda CBRs after my Truck upgrade. We are about to move soon and im gonna need a truck to do some carrying. But i want to stay in the Honda family (if possible).. I was looking at the Ridgeline.. I just want a truck that will have family space.. comfortable ride.. occasionally haul two motorcycles and haul all the furniture i need to move and once in a while to carry wood for some woodwork on the house. Does anyone have a Ridgeline? I know most truck owners HATE the sight of it.. but i feel i dont need a heavy duty F150 or something built for off roading or pulling 10000lb trailers.. just a normal everyday truck thats good for once in a while duties.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:25 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
It is a DAMN FINE TRUCK! I driven one for lots of miles (My bros) and its a sweet ride...
The only CONs in my opinion:
Lack of decent passing power (At hwy speeds)
Driving dynamics are not so great
It likes to squat a lot if you overload it.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Skirmich
It is a DAMN FINE TRUCK! I driven one for lots of miles (My bros) and its a sweet ride...
The only CONs in my opinion:
Lack of decent passing power (At hwy speeds)
Driving dynamics are not so great
It likes to squat a lot if you overload it.
awesome to hear! What year did u drive?love the dual functioning tailgate and the trunk and the family space
Old 07-31-2017, 11:16 PM

2008 I think? it was the early Ridgeline years
Old 07-31-2017, 11:26 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
I have driven an 07 ridgeline a lot and it is very nice. A backup camera is a must because its hard to see out the back. No complaints otherwise... I've always really liked driving it.

you can see a small part of it in front of the TL..... lol

Old 07-31-2017, 11:48 PM

Painting the calipers black? That is good taste man, I did my MDX calipers in black as well last week.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
I have driven an 07 ridgeline a lot and it is very nice. A backup camera is a must because its hard to see out the back. No complaints otherwise... I've always really liked driving it.

you can see a small part of it in front of the TL..... lol

yea im looking at the early models and have definitely heard the same complaint. thanks for the response. Have you used it to carry anything?
Old 08-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Advanced

2008 I think? it was the early Ridgeline years
yea im looking at the early models i like the older style vs the new ones. they look like alien ships lol. As far as the squatting issue i dont think i'll be overloading it and i wont be speed racer on the highway in the truck anyway i just wanna sit high and comfy. i think my heart is pretty set on it lol
Old 08-15-2017, 06:57 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
sorry about the late response but yes ive used it to carry sooo much stuff. It is a workhorse that's for sure. Canoes, kayaks, bicycles, furniture, endless camping supplies, you name it and its hauled it. Even used it to tow a pretty decent size trailer. When you fold up the back seats its also got a ton of space in the back. Funny story the ridgeline recently got a 6,000 dollar paint job paid for by the city of Hamilton, Ontario lol. They were spraying epoxy on an overpass for the QEW and they did it on a day when it was too windy so they got overspray on the ridgeline along with about 20 other cars in the same parking lot. It looks brand new now... good job city of Hamilton lol!

Painting the calipers black? That is good taste man, I did my MDX calipers in black as well last week.
Yep they look so much better now, I also did the hubs later. Black on black on black... on black.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
sorry about the late response but yes ive used it to carry sooo much stuff. It is a workhorse that's for sure. Canoes, kayaks, bicycles, furniture, endless camping supplies, you name it and its hauled it. Even used it to tow a pretty decent size trailer. When you fold up the back seats its also got a ton of space in the back. Funny story the ridgeline recently got a 6,000 dollar paint job paid for by the city of Hamilton, Ontario lol. They were spraying epoxy on an overpass for the QEW and they did it on a day when it was too windy so they got overspray on the ridgeline along with about 20 other cars in the same parking lot. It looks brand new now... good job city of Hamilton lol!

Yep they look so much better now, I also did the hubs later. Black on black on black... on black.
only thing i have to question is the fuel economy. Am i better off with.. say a Honda Pilot or MDX or is it the same
Old 09-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Advanced

Black calipers is the thing now huh.. no more typical street racer red lol
Old 09-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Moving to Car Talk to get more Insight....

The following users liked this post:
2012wagon (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 11:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Ridgeline first gen and new one are great trucks
I had driven one for about 500 miles and it was smooth as silk very car like

what bothered me (when you use it as a truck) is the bed height on side was too high to reach in

i thus prefer my gen 1 double cab Toyota Tacoma
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on Ridgeline-img_7964.jpg  
Old 09-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Sounds like you're the perfect buyer for a Ridgeline - someone who wants a bed for hauling stuff but doesn't need a BOF truck with huge hauling capacity.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Ridgeline first gen and new one are great trucks
I had driven one for about 500 miles and it was smooth as silk very car like

what bothered me (when you use it as a truck) is the bed height on side was too high to reach in

i thus prefer my gen 1 double cab Toyota Tacoma
omg finally someone with a tacoma! ​​​​​​actually i was REALLY stuck between the tacoma and every other truck .. and i was REALLY gonna go with the Tacoma but no one i know has a tacoma.. im not a fan of toyota but LOVE the Tacoma for its gas mileage however i've heard that tacoma trucks arent comfortable.. you feel cramped while driving so i moved to the Ridgeline.. is that true?
2012wagon (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aman
Sounds like you're the perfect buyer for a Ridgeline - someone who wants a bed for hauling stuff but doesn't need a BOF truck with huge hauling capacity.
yea but the older gens i want arent quite the best looking .. maybe with some customization.. however for the comfort i'll take it
Old 09-07-2017, 12:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jae Cross
omg finally someone with a tacoma! ​​​​​​actually i was REALLY stuck between the tacoma and every other truck .. and i was REALLY gonna go with the Tacoma but no one i know has a tacoma.. im not a fan of toyota but LOVE the Tacoma for its gas mileage however i've heard that tacoma trucks arent comfortable.. you feel cramped while driving so i moved to the Ridgeline.. is that true?
Well I have a need for it. I have 2 Tacomas. 17 PRO and that the 2002 you see in the above pic.

Both of mine are perfectly comfortable. Sure they aren't comfortable like our LS600h or our LX570, but they cost a 1/4 of that. I have done a 2100 mile trip in my 17 Taco. My 02 Double Cab I have done a 1800 mile tow with it. It was perfectly fine after 12 hours in the saddle.

The tacoma is not car like. Lots of people equate that with uncomfortable.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Tacoma is the way to go.

I would go Tacoma over Ridgeline.

But being a buyer for a Tacoma sucks, if you're the seller, you'll make out.

I'm on the hunt for a Tacoma but even a 2010-2012 still sales for close to 20k.

I was going to suggest the Taco.
2012wagon (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:38 PM
Advanced

Well I have a need for it. I have 2 Tacomas. 17 PRO and that the 2002 you see in the above pic.

Both of mine are perfectly comfortable. Sure they aren't comfortable like our LS600h or our LX570, but they cost a 1/4 of that. I have done a 2100 mile trip in my 17 Taco. My 02 Double Cab I have done a 1800 mile tow with it. It was perfectly fine after 12 hours in the saddle.

that is very true. welp.. back to the drawing board.. stuck on the Taco i'll continue to weigh my pros and cons i greatly appreciate your input.
2012wagon (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Tacoma is the way to go.

I would go Tacoma over Ridgeline.

But being a buyer for a Tacoma sucks, if you're the seller, you'll make out.

I'm on the hunt for a Tacoma but even a 2010-2012 still sales for close to 20k.

I was going to suggest the Taco.
indeed! i love the Taco but I've found the most common complaint is that they can be rust buckets but im sure doing some sort underlayer coating that can be prevented. Other than that I have no cons for it. and my cons for the Ridgeline is that its a bit big and im sure has bad fuel economy and not the best looking truck. Both seem equally reliable however of course the Ridgeline has more cargo room. But im DEAD SET on the Taco over the Ridge. I just have to test drive both so i can stop going back and forth about it its driving me crazy
Old 09-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Get a Tundra or a Tacoma. We have a Tundra and love it. Only reason we didn't get a Taco is b/c we needed the towing capacity. That said we know several folks with Tacomas and they love them.

We also have an FJ Cruiser which is built on the Taco platform and we love that as well...
Old 09-07-2017, 12:55 PM
Safety Car

indeed! i love the Taco but I've found the most common complaint is that they can be rust buckets but im sure doing some sort underlayer coating that can be prevented. Other than that I have no cons for it. and my cons for the Ridgeline is that its a bit big and im sure has bad fuel economy and not the best looking truck. Both seem equally reliable however of course the Ridgeline has more cargo room. But im DEAD SET on the Taco over the Ridge. I just have to test drive both so i can stop going back and forth about it its driving me crazy
No idea about rust, as it doesn't happen where I live.

Drive them, and buy what you like.
Aman (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 01:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
IMHO what you need is a large crossover and not a pickup. You seem to be worried about comfort and the needs you mentioned are likely better met with a crossover. The Pilot (not really the MDX) is cavernous inside. TONS of space, very comfrotable and overall WAY better than the ridgeline IMHO. The ridgeline has it's merits. But the way I see it is that it does a poor job of being a crossover/truck combo. Does it look cool? Yes. But I feel like they were trying to make it into something it isn't/can't be.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:15 PM
Team Owner

The 2G ridgeline has slimmed down since the 1G.

I don't have rust where I'm at, so that's no concern over here.

My dad had a 1G Ridgeline for a brief moment, back in 2007.

You're going to get better MPG in a Taco.

22 Gal Tank in a 1G Ridgeline 15 City/20 Highway

21 (give or take) Gal Tank in a 10" Taco 20 city/26 highway.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RDX10
IMHO what you need is a large crossover and not a pickup. You seem to be worried about comfort and the needs you mentioned are likely better met with a crossover. The Pilot (not really the MDX) is cavernous inside. TONS of space, very comfrotable and overall WAY better than the ridgeline IMHO. The ridgeline has it's merits. But the way I see it is that it does a poor job of being a crossover/truck combo. Does it look cool? Yes. But I feel like they were trying to make it into something it isn't/can't be.
Trust me, if you're going to be hauling stuff, you will be limited with a Crossover. Till this day, I still use my dads truck over using the Explorer to haul stuff. With a truck, you have no need to worry about the height of the item that you're hauling. Also, depending on how much stuff you want to haul. But beware, you're friends/family who don't have a truck will probably be calling you to pick something up from Ikea once in a while.
2012wagon (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
If you want the perks of both, a utility trailer is an option to haul when necessary. It's a little cumbersome to store and use, but it's one option. I wish I had the space for one.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Aman
If you want the perks of both, a utility trailer is an option to haul when necessary. It's a little cumbersome to store and use, but it's one option. I wish I had the space for one.
I thought about that yesterday. I was like I can get a utility trailer, and hook it up to the Ex. But, I don't have room to store it.

My friend said get a car dolly and utilize it has a utility trailer and just park it in the garage with Accord on it. Talk about a hassle.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:19 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
The Taco is a body on frame truck, like a proper one, and will drive/handle like one too. The Ridgeline is a unibody SUV with the ass end cut open for a bed to get shoehorned in. The 1G Ridgeline definitely had its issues but the 2G is definitely as much "truck" as 95% of the truck buying public will ever need. The 1G is basically a less capable Avalanche, the 2G is MUCH more capable and comfortable...and more expensive.

tl;dr Buy the Taco. It'll hold value FAR better too.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:19 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts

What in the world are you moving around that you need 2 Tacomas and a LX570? Also, how many cars do you own?
Old 09-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Advanced

i see your point and i would definitely go with the Pilot except i plan to haul two motorcycles and i def dont have the room for an additional trailer
Old 09-07-2017, 02:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Trust me, if you're going to be hauling stuff, you will be limited with a Crossover. Till this day, I still use my dads truck over using the Explorer to haul stuff. With a truck, you have no need to worry about the height of the item that you're hauling. Also, depending on how much stuff you want to haul. But beware, you're friends/family who don't have a truck will probably be calling you to pick something up from Ikea once in a while.
lol yea im aware of that they already call me for everything else
Old 09-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
i see your point and i would definitely go with the Pilot except i plan to haul two motorcycles and i def dont have the room for an additional trailer
Do you think the ridgeline can even fit 2 motorcycles in it? IIRC at least the Tacoma can come with a long box option.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
The Taco is a body on frame truck, like a proper one, and will drive/handle like one too. The Ridgeline is a unibody SUV with the ass end cut open for a bed to get shoehorned in. The 1G Ridgeline definitely had its issues but the 2G is definitely as much "truck" as 95% of the truck buying public will ever need. The 1G is basically a less capable Avalanche, the 2G is MUCH more capable and comfortable...and more expensive.

tl;dr Buy the Taco. It'll hold value FAR better too.
Im tryna stay in the honda family but honestly the Taco is going for the win so far lol
Old 09-07-2017, 02:52 PM
Advanced

Do you think the ridgeline can even fit 2 motorcycles in it? IIRC at least the Tacoma can come with a long box option.
Hell yea Comfortably
Old 09-07-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 5,294 Likes on 3,628 Posts
Not a lot of Rline experience, but I do recall that my dad had no problem towing a W220 S430 with a 1G Ridgeline from Laredo TX to Houston TX on a flatbed car trailer.
I like the 2G except the front end & the back seat is tight (compared to my F150).

Not sure on your budget, but a short bed crew cab 2wd F150 with the 2.7EcoBoost & a 3.31 rear end nets me 18-22mpg.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
Be careful of mission creep. I went from an all sedan/sports car family to an SUV (Nissan XTerra) for "occasional hauling."

That turned into getting a Nissan Frontier as well. And then now I am thinking I may need to get a F150 or Ram 1500 soon...

That said, the Ridgeline is a nice vehicle. I have a friend who runs his 1st gen pretty hard. He can do almost everything we do with our body-on-frame trucks except tow.

Also, the Pilot gets horrendous mileage. You'll be lucky if you get 18~
Old 09-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wackjum
Be careful of mission creep. I went from an all sedan/sports car family to an SUV (Nissan XTerra) for "occasional hauling."

That turned into getting a Nissan Frontier as well. And then now I am thinking I may need to get a F150 or Ram 1500 soon...

That said, the Ridgeline is a nice vehicle. I have a friend who runs his 1st gen pretty hard. He can do almost everything we do with our body-on-frame trucks except tow.

Also, the Pilot gets horrendous mileage. You'll be lucky if you get 18~
what year is your Frontier?
Old 09-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
What in the world are you moving around that you need 2 Tacomas and a LX570? Also, how many cars do you own?
1) too many

2) our 02 Taco lives on the date farm, comes home once a year

Last edited by 2012wagon; 09-07-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Team Owner

Wagon has like 7 cars, I swear..

2012wagon (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
what year is your Frontier?
2007 LE 4x4