Test drive vs. BMW 3-series

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2001, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drive vs. BMW 3-series

I've been the happy owner of a CL Type S for about a year (and 13.4k mi). The one thing that has been just eating away at me is the auto trans. I thought I could get used to it, but, I just really prefer a standard. So, as much as I love the car, I'd been thinking of what could replace it, and last year put a deposit down on the new BMW M3.

Well, yesterday I finally test drove the M3 (demos weren't available at dealers until the past week or so). I was shocked and suprised, but it was a disappointment. After all the hype over it, I was underwhelmed.

The engine, suspension, and performance were great. Fabulous sound, great power (though it didn't feel like a 4.7 sec 0-60 car), impressive handling. To some, that's all that matters. But to me, owning a car is a lot more than a 30 min test drive.

What disappointed me was the build quality. IMHO, it just felt kind of cheap. I'm not an engineer, but am a major car fanatic. I've owned 93 cars in my life, and have taken many of them apart and restored several, so I tend to look at the small details as to how a car is put together. It broke my heart, but I just saw lots of signs of little cost-cuttings on the M3. The interior felt cheap. Low grade plastics that reminded me of current VW products. Cheap trim throughout, inside and out. Doors that sound tinny and don't close with a solid "thunk". Thin carpets, and even thinner in the trunk. Low grade weatherstripping and seals. Sloppy, rubbery shifter. Non-linear clutch. Much smaller, more cramped interior than the Acura - the M3 clearly is not going to be as comfortable on a long drive. Comparing it back-to-back with a regular 3-series coupe, I think there are more parts shared in common between the two than people would like to think (which makes sense - manufacturers save money by sharing as many parts as possible, and minimizing the unique ones).

Don't get me wrong, the M3 was *fantastic* to test drive. But, it just didn't feel like a $53,000+ car. I've got to say that my Type S, at $29k, feels much more solidly put together (of course with lower performance). Overall, the M3 felt like a fantastic engine and upgraded suspension in an otherwise mediocre car, one built to a price standard rather than a quality one.

I thought I would leave the test drive totally in love with the M3, and ready to trade in the Acura as soon as my order came up. But, I left with new-found appreciation for my Acura. We really do have a great deal with these cars. For around $30k, they're comfortable, fast enough to be fun, well-built, practical, and a great deal. The M3 would be more fun to take around a track or for a half-hour joy ride, but for living with a car day-to-day in the real world, for me the Type S is the winner. The M3 just isn't worth $25k more than a Type S.

Now if only Acura would offer a manual trans in the car....

------------------
Nick L
'01 CL Type S Red/Tan
'93 Porche 911 (mid-life crisis car)
'99 Mazda Miata (everyone needs a convertible)
Old 04-01-2001, 03:42 PM
BC
nearsighted visionary

Thanks Nick. Don't forget the price of upkeep also, my older 530i cost a bunch to maintain. Sold it in 85 for an Accord (this was the beginning of my relationship with Honda products). Although my K75S BMW two wheeler has been supremely reliable, only 1 visit to dealer in 11 years.

------------------
Satin Silver CLS
BMW K75S
Old 04-01-2001, 03:59 PM
Back to Four Doors

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nick:

But, I left with new-found appreciation for my Acura. We really do have a great deal with these cars. For around $30k, they're comfortable, fast enough to be fun, well-built, practical, and a great deal. The M3 would be more fun to take around a track or for a half-hour joy ride, but for living with a car day-to-day in the real world, for me the Type S is the winner. The M3 just isn't worth $25k more than a Type S.
</font>
Nick,

Terrific post ... I too have owned many cars though not nearly 93(!!). The Acura is a great car for what it offers AND delivers. You have nailed it. It is an every day car that can get out of its own way in comfort with reliability. Yeah, a 6 speed would be nice but that's obviously not an option for us at this time.

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK
Lic: THX CBOE
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...770&p=36712116
Old 04-01-2001, 05:13 PM
Instructor

how old are you? 93 cars? damn........

------------------
Coming soon: 2001 CL Type-S
Right now: 92 Integra

5 Weeks Away!
Old 04-01-2001, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

Actually, I'm older than I'd like to be, but maybe not as old as you'd think for having gone through 93 cars (never more than 3 at a time). For better or worse, I'm 42...

------------------
Nick L
'01 CL Type S Red/Tan
'93 Porche 911 (mid-life crisis car)
'99 Mazda Miata (everyone needs a convertible)
Old 04-01-2001, 11:14 PM