Television: Top Gear (USA) News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:10 AM
'12 & '13 AL West Champs!

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroday
right...so how exactly can Jay talk 'freely' about cars if GM pays to advertise on his site?
That's what's actually happening here. NBC covers the cost of running the site by using the revenue from advertisements. The ads you see are not sponsors, they're advertisers. The site gets millions of hits from "car guys/girls". Naturally, a car company would want to plaster their ads on a site like that.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:45 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gfaze
That's what's actually happening here. NBC covers the cost of running the site by using the revenue from advertisements. The ads you see are not sponsors, they're advertisers. The site gets millions of hits from "car guys/girls". Naturally, a car company would want to plaster their ads on a site like that.
Just admit that you pulled that out of your ass. I guarantee you that site is making a hefty profit with it's merchandise sales and advertising. 27 million hits...think about it.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Doubt T-shirts and cups can cover the cost of bandwidth that is used on his site...
Old 03-31-2008, 07:42 AM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
There's a difference though. On TV, Leno would be forced to give opinions on new cars like the G8. If he didn't like it, he could either water down his dislike or be open with it but risk losing sponsors. On his website, he could just not talk about the car and discuss other things instead.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Here's my question ... If the Top Gear guys rip into a car they don't like, how do they get the next new model? I mean if they think a Honda Fit is a piece of junk and say so, how do they get the new Euro Accord the next time around?

Something tells me that appearing on Top Gear is worth taking the chance it's going to be eviscerated.

Though I don't doubt for a minute that GE/NBC would make it a 60 minute infomercial on the G8 ... Which is sad ... With all the cars that a bought here in America each year and all the roads and tracks that we have that the UK does not I figured it would be a no-brainer.

Apparently the no brain part is dead on ... Unfortunately, it applies to the decision-makers and not the decision itself.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 AM
E92

I feel like the show would have to absolutely rip apart a car on the first episode, to show automakers that they're going to be honest
Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,409 Posts
I said this in the other thread about Top Gear coming to the U.S... Don't get me wrong, I like Jay... but when he gets a guest on his show that's promoting a movie that's gotten nothing but shit reviews, everybody knows it's shit, he knows it... but you can tell he's holding back comments. When he likes a movie, he'll come out and say it... but keeps his mouth shut if he doesn't like it... I can't pull that shit off with cars... He'll wanna say what he really wants, but the show won't want him to
Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I feel like I've read this post somewhere...
Old 03-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So someone calls me from the network and is clearly not a car person. He says: “You like cars, right?” I say yes. “Like, all kinds of cars?” Well, yes. I like all kinds of cars. Why? “Well, the network has bought the TV show . . . um . . . High Gear? Top Gear? Top Gear! Top Gear, yes. We know you like to build cars.”

I ask: what’s the plan for the show? “Well, like, one week you build a car that flies and the next week you make a car that goes under water.” So I said: you know you can’t build these things in a week.
WTF? Is this serious? They want the show to be like Monster Garage??
Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Doubt T-shirts and cups can cover the cost of bandwidth that is used on his site...
27 MILLION hits. Ad revenue for this would be huge. If you don't think someone's making money off this site you're dillusional.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
I didnt say that, i just said i doubt hes making much off merchandise sales.

The Ford is probably giving him good money to advertise, i didn deny that.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

27 MILLION hits. Ad revenue for this would be huge. If you don't think someone's making money off this site you're dillusional.
LOL, I seriously doubt Leno is anxiously waiting for it to be direct deposited into his account so he can go buy scratch-offs.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I said on The Tonight Show recently that the new Kia was available with a heated rear window, so if people needed to push it in winter they could keep their hands warm. Boy, the phones did not stop ringing.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by charliemike
LOL, I seriously doubt Leno is anxiously waiting for it to be direct deposited into his account so he can go buy scratch-offs.
no, probably not, but that wasn't my point.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
right...so how exactly can Jay talk 'freely' about cars if GM sponsors his site?

because GM also basically sponsors him. He does a lot of work with GM. But he's also not afraid to speak freely about their products. If he doesn't like something he'll say it about GM.

He wouldn't have that control with Top Gear he doesn't think
Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by CLpower
because GM also basically sponsors him. He does a lot of work with GM. But he's also not afraid to speak freely about their products. If he doesn't like something he'll say it about GM.

He wouldn't have that control with Top Gear he doesn't think
OK so say he started criticizing GM often, do you think he'd keep the sponsorship? there's the potential that he might pull punches in his reviews so that doesn't happen. the fact that he hasn't or probably won't doesn't remove the existence of a potential conflict of interest if he really is supposed to be reviewing cars objectively. it puts his opinions in question. if i were jay i wouldn't have allowed GM to sponsor the site. then again, if i were jay i wouldnt be sitting in a cubicle arguing with people on a car forum, i'd be out driving one of my cars
Old 03-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

OK so say he started criticizing GM often, do you think he'd keep the sponsorship? there's the potential that he might pull punches in his reviews so that doesn't happen. the fact that he hasn't or probably won't doesn't remove the existence of a potential conflict of interest if he really is supposed to be reviewing cars objectively. it puts his opinions in question. if i were jay i wouldn't have allowed GM to sponsor the site. then again, if i were jay i wouldnt be sitting in a cubicle arguing with people on a car forum, i'd be out driving one of my cars
With 27M hits a day, I don't think he'd have a problem getting someone else to step right in ... Again, I go back to the point that if Clarkson rips on the new Fiesta, how does he get a Mondeo on the show?

Credibility with the viewers. Which creates such a compelling reason to take chances with good products that they have to give one to Clarkson, et al.

NBC wants to make a fucking infomercial and in that light you're correct. Hard to criticize when your journalistic integrity is yanked from under you.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
right...so how exactly can Jay talk 'freely' about cars if GM sponsors his site?
Somebody's got to pay for the bandwidth from 27M hits
Old 03-31-2008, 05:26 PM
'12 & '13 AL West Champs!

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Just admit that you pulled that out of your ass. I guarantee you that site is making a hefty profit with it's merchandise sales and advertising. 27 million hits...think about it.
That's what I said. You said they were sponsoring the site. There's a difference. It's common sense, you have a site that has millions of hits so you can sell ad space on it. You don't have to rely on a sponsor, which puts up the money to run the site as opposed to buying ad space.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gfaze
That's what I said. You said they were sponsoring the site. There's a difference. It's common sense, you have a site that has millions of hits so you can sell ad space on it. You don't have to rely on a sponsor, which puts up the money to run the site as opposed to buying ad space.
semantics. it doesn't effect my point. thanks for the info though!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i understand the logical jump that car companies will sponsor an american version of top gear, but that is not necessary in the US. With so many companies out there to approach about sponsoring a show there is no need to focus on car companies.

cell phones, beer, retail stores (best buy, home depot, etc..), and any other industry you can think.

Point is there are plenty of sponsors in this country to support the show other than car companies.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Leno is retiring from the Tonight Show after this year, right? I think it would be a great FU to the American corporate establishment if Jeremy & Co. could get Leno as their "American correspondent" for the BBC show.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:41 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Originally Posted by Billiam
Leno is retiring from the Tonight Show after this year, right? I think it would be a great FU to the American corporate establishment if Jeremy & Co. could get Leno as their "American correspondent" for the BBC show.

+1
Old 04-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by Billiam
ROFL! Have you seen their "America" special where they buy three POS clunkers and drive through the South making us all look like hillbillies with shotgun fetishes?

I don't think we'll see an American on that show anytime soon. Unless one falls out of a plane and crashes through the roof of the set.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:18 PM
luvs redheads!

some of you are clearly confused on how top gear works. They dont call up GM or whomever and get a car to test the shit outta.. They know people since they are all car guys. They make a few phone calls and they get to test an owner's car. I have seen many episodes saying that they were testing the only blah blah car in the country that is in someone's private collection. So that is why Top Gear can get away with blasting reviews.

I just thought of someone...TIM ALLEN! avid car guy and has been on TV. Pretty funny?!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:56 PM
E92

Originally Posted by swift22
some of you are clearly confused on how top gear works. They dont call up GM or whomever and get a car to test the shit outta.. They know people since they are all car guys. They make a few phone calls and they get to test an owner's car. I have seen many episodes saying that they were testing the only blah blah car in the country that is in someone's private collection. So that is why Top Gear can get away with blasting reviews.

I just thought of someone...TIM ALLEN! avid car guy and has been on TV. Pretty funny?!
Car companies do give them cars to test though. They have said that Bugatti refuses to give them a Veyron to run around their track, and are asking any citizens if they want to lend the car to the show
Old 06-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Top Gear USA confirmed, Hosts selected

From Jalopnik

It's official — Adam Carolla, Tanner Foust and Eric Strommer will be the threesome of hosts for NBC's US version of the greatest driving show ever — Top Gear. We've got the full press release with all the details below the jump.UPDATE #1: Looks like Strommer will be the US version's James May — he "prefers his Camry hybrid?" Gag.
UPDATE #2: Sorry, we're still digesting the press release. We're liking the fact they're looking at "mirroring the UK show's irreverent humor and camaraderie" but we really don't think any of the UK presenters hearted the hybrid.

NBC’S ‘TOP GEAR’ BUCKLES UP ITS HOSTS FOR HIGH-OCTANE PILOT FROM BBC WORLDWIDE AMERICA BASED ON INTERNATIONAL HIT FRANCHISE

BURBANK - June 16, 2008 - Television and radio comedian Adam Carolla, champion rally and drift racer Tanner Foust, and TV construction guru Eric Stromer, will lead NBC’s pilot of the international smash hit series “Top Gear.” The production will begin later this week.

Produced by BBC Worldwide America, the U.S. version of the hit franchise will mirror the UK show’s irreverent humor and camaraderie between the three presenters, epic races, outrageous stunts and challenges, unique celebrity guest participation and eccentric methods of testing cars.

"This franchise is a proven winner worldwide and the hosting team of Adam, Tanner and Eric that we have brought together for the U.S. version offers a perfect match of humor, insider know-how and priceless track experience," said Craig Plestis, Executive Vice President, Alternative Programming Development and Specials, NBC Entertainment. "We are going to create a high-powered show that, like the original, will keep viewers in every demographic clutching the edge of their seats."

“These three guys will get to drive the world’s most amazing cars, go on incredible road trips and blow stuff up. It’s a dirty old job but someone has to do it…why didn’t I get the job?!” said Paul Telegdy, Executive Vice President, TV Sales and Content & Production, BBC Worldwide America.

Jeremy Clarkson, executive producer and host of the UK “Top Gear” said: “This is fantastic news - but how on earth you lot are going to do it on the wrong side of the road I’ve no idea.”

Adam Carolla:

Television and radio personality Adam Carolla is host of the daily, nationally-syndicated radio program “The Adam Carolla Show,” based out of Los Angeles’ KLSX 97.1/ FREE FM. With partners Jimmy Kimmel and Daniel Kellison, Carolla created Jackhole Industries where he produced and starred in two hit Comedy Central shows, "The Man Show" and "Crank Yankers." Carolla also co-hosted the nationally-syndicated radio program “Loveline” with Dr. Drew Pinsky for 10 years, as well as its TV version on MTV. Carolla also recently wrote and starred in the independent, award-winning feature film, “The Hammer.” In season six of “Dancing with the Stars,” Adam became the first ever contestant to complete a Paso Doble on a unicycle. Carolla is an avid car collector and owns several classic collectible Lamborghinis, Maseratis, two Ferraris and an Audi S4.

Tanner Foust:

Tanner Foust is in high-demand as a stunt driver, with film credits including “The Bourne Ultimatum,” “The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift” and “The Dukes of Hazard.” Foust is a winning competitor in rally, drift, ice racing and time attack with multiple champion podium placements including the 2007 X Games Rally Champion and 2007 Formula Drift Pro Drift Champion. His varied race experience includes open wheel competition, the Pikes Peak Hill Climb (2002 - 2004), five Ice Racing championships and the 2005 PGT Rally Championship. He also holds class lap records at numerous U.S. road courses in Time Attack. In addition, Foust also hosted “Supercars Exposed” for the SPEED channel. Foust’s car of choice is a tricked-out M3.

Eric Stromer:

Eric Stromer, host of the HGTV show "Over Your Head," started life in construction and remodeling houses after a short acting career as a soap opera hunk was abruptly ended by a Styrofoam boulder on the set of “Santa Barbara.” For 20 years he ran a successful building company before becoming the face of HGTV’s hit show. He’s a regular on Adam Carolla’s nationally-syndicated radio show giving out construction advice, and also appears on TLC’s “Clean Sweep,” NBC’s “Three Wishes” and is a special correspondent for “The Insider.” Stromer prefers his Camry hybrid.

About the Executive Producers:

The pilot of “Top Gear” will be executive produced by Tod Mesirow and Kevin Harris. Mesirow’s background includes producing credits on “Wired Science,” Discovery Channel's “Smash Lab,” “Mythbusters,” and “Monster Garage.” He also executive produced Discovery Studio's “Overhaulin'” for TLC. Harris’ credits include “The Apprentice” and “The Baby Borrowers” for NBC.

About Top Gear:

The series, which premiered in the UK in 1977, is consistently BBC TWO’s most-watched program in the UK. The UK version of “Top Gear” is broadcast globally in over 100 countries and has been airing on BBC America since 2007. The program has been the recipient of various awards including National Television Awards, BAFTAs, Broadcast Award, Royal Television Society Awards and an International Emmy Award. Top celebrity guests have included Hugh Grant, Simon Cowell, Ewan McGregor, Helen Mirren and Gordon Ramsay. In addition to the television show, the “Top Gear” brand has achieved global success. The self-titled magazine Top Gear continues to be both the best-selling car and men’s magazines in the UK. Internationally, Top Gear is the leading motoring media brand.

About BBC Worldwide America:

BBC Worldwide America (BBCWA) is part of BBC Worldwide - the main commercial arm and a wholly-owned subsidiary of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). BBCWA has headquarters in New York and Los Angeles and brings together all of BBC Worldwide’s businesses in the U.S. – including cable channel BBC America and a bi-coastal production division responsible for the smash hit “Dancing with the Stars,” which returns for its 7th season this Fall.

http://jalopnik.com/5016771/top-gear...-coming-to-nbc
Adam Corolla is involved, it's bound to get canceled in the first season.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
That lineup just seems horrible! Adam has his funny moments on late night tv, Tanner can drive a drift and rally car, and Eric remodels homes on HGTV and excutive producers of Smash Lab and Monster Garage... this will be a huge disappointment compared to the original series.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
^ I second that. I cannot wait to hear Jeremy making fun of them.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:33 AM
E92

Originally Posted by nokiaman
^ I second that. I cannot wait to hear Jeremy making fun of them.
Yes, this is NOT going to make us Americans look any better.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Tanner Foust isn't bad actually.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
what a dissapointment.

Top Gear BBC is perfect. You absolutely cannot make it any better. The presenters all have addictive personalities that compliment each other. The no planned humurous builds. The AMAZING photography and film work. Great Music..etc,etc,etc.

The American version seems like a failed attempt to mix an annoying Jew and a redneck "Evil Kinevil" wannabe. Get ready for another crappy American TV show.

I can't wait.

Motorweek mixed with Monster Garage.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
First shot from the set
Old 06-16-2008, 12:56 PM
The hair says it all

there is plenty of potential, at least with Adam and tanner
Old 06-16-2008, 01:04 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

should be interesting
Old 06-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
http://topgear.com/content/news/stories/2956/

June 16, 2008
Team America

California, free refills and Megan Fox are no longer the only good things about America.

Because now, America has its own Top Gear telly show.

Well, they're getting a pilot for a US version of the show at least.

And even though you will have no idea who any of them are, they've just announced their presenters...

First up there's Adam Carolla, who has a whole host of superlatives associated with his name, like 'comedian', 'radio personality', 'television presenter' and 'actor'.

He's best known over there for his radio programme The Adam Carolla Show, yet over here you might have seen him in Crank Yankers, the TV show he produced and starred in that features real crank calls by celebrity guests which are then re-enacted on screen by puppets.

Most importantly however, he owns two classic Lambos, Maseratis, Ferraris and an Audi S4. Which is a better qualification than anything.

Then there's Tanner Foust - how good is that name?? - who's a high demand stunt guy, having driven in The Bourne Ultimatum, that Fast And The Furious set in Japan and, er, The Dukes Of Hazzard.

He's also won a load of different things for rallying, drifting, ice racing and time attack. But all you really need to know is this, and that he drives a 'tricked-out' M3.

Bringing up the rear is Eric Stromer, who's an American DIY legend - think Handy Andy with blonde hair and a guitar - who's also a regular on Carolla's radio show, advising listeners on their construction concerns.

And he drives a Toyota Camry hybrid... ahem.

It seems no one's told Clarkson that though, 'cos he's quite happy about it all: "This is fantastic news - but how on earth you lot are going to do it on the wrong side of the road I've no idea."
Old 06-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by o2cls
The American version seems like a failed attempt to mix an annoying Jew and a redneck "Evil Kinevil" wannabe. Get ready for another crappy American TV show.
Who's gonna be the "redneck 'Evil Kinevil'"?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by o2cls
what a dissapointment.

Top Gear BBC is perfect. You absolutely cannot make it any better. The presenters all have addictive personalities that compliment each other. The no planned humurous builds. The AMAZING photography and film work. Great Music..etc,etc,etc.

I can't wait.

Motorweek mixed with Monster Garage.

I'd slap you with a trout but frankly, I don't think we can spare the fish.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:59 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I miss Mr. Birtchum.

That was one of Adam's radio personas about 10 years ago. Not sure if he still uses it.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
he was hillarious on Loveline

Quick Reply: Television: Top Gear (USA) News and Discussion Thread