Television: Top Gear (USA) News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I have to agree with JesusJuice on this one.

Maximized, I wouldnt go around calling ppl ignorant when you make comments like, "Seems people are still bitter over in the UK that us Yanks had to bail them out over 60 years ago." I am in no mood to argue with anyone, but having studied WW2 to a great extent (meaning I know what I am talking about),...........that statement is rather misguided.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by West6MT
I have to agree with JesusJuice on this one.

Maximized, I wouldnt go around calling ppl ignorant when you make comments like, "Seems people are still bitter over in the UK that us Yanks had to bail them out over 60 years ago." I am in no mood to argue with anyone, but having studied WW2 to a great extent (meaning I know what I am talking about),...........that statement is rather misguided.
I've studied WW2 as well and love learning about that era. Show me how that statement is misguided? Fact is, we did bail out Britain from Hitler.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Maximized
I've studied WW2 as well and love learning about that era. Show me how that statement is misguided? Fact is, we did bail out Britain from Hitler.
All of the nations of the Allied Forces contributed to the war effort. I think saying,......so and so bailed these ppl out, and so and so bailed out those ppl out, cheapens the reality of what happened. The United States entered the war later than everyone else, thats all. The war would have been lost without the Russians in the same way that it would have been lost without the US. Everyone bailed everyone out, they just joined the war effort at different times. The war would have been lost for sure had either the UK, Russia, or the US not been involved. There were also important contributions from countries such as Austrailia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, France, Greece, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, etc. The war still probably would have been lost without some of these smaller contributing nations.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:34 AM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of the nations of the Allied Forces contributed to the war effort. I think saying,......so and so bailed these ppl out, and so and so bailed out those ppl out, cheapens the reality of what happened. The United States entered the war later than everyone else, thats all. The war would have been lost without the Russians in the same way that it would have been lost without the US. Everyone bailed everyone out, they just joined the war effort at different times. The war would have been lost for sure had either the UK, Russia, or the US not been involved. There were also important contributions from countries such as Austrailia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, France, Greece, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, etc. The war still probably would have been lost without some of these smaller contributing nations.

Stalingrad was THE turning point in the war, IMO.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:51 AM
Suzuka Master

The truth about WW2 is that it set the stage for the decline of the British Empire and the ascendancy of American power. Before the war France and England were perceived as the preeminent world powers. Most people didn't think that Germany could sufficiently re-militarize under the Versailles Treaty to ever re-emerge as a world power. Besides, Germany lacked the vast colonial empires that the British, French, Dutch (and to a lesser extent even Italy) enjoyed. Russia's military was also in disarray.

Needless to say, WW2 saw the French, Germans, and the British humiliated. They emerged from the war as second rate powers that were a shadow of their former selves. Of course these guys are resentful.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:57 AM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Originally Posted by srika
where did you copy and paste the original post from?? I'm not a stickler for spelling and typos on forums but damn, I have never seen so many glaring cases of them in one bit of a "news" type of item... I mean, just stupid errors. Just wondering.

I mean really, "thier"??
Top Gear USA

# Posted Thursday, Dec. 22nd, 2005 at 6:11 PM by Viper007Bond in Top Gear

As many of you may know, Top Gear aired for a while on the Discovery channel here in America. It was just normal UK episodes, but with refilmed studio bits featuring less America bashing, the use of things like “gasoline” rather than “petrol”, etc. Many of you also know that episodes stopped airing on Discovery earlier this year.

Rumors had been flying about as to why, but the most popular one was that Discovery had decided to start from scratch and do an entirely American version of Top Gear. Well, this turned out to be just the case. In the last Top Gear magazine, many new juicy details were revealed about the upcoming show.

Here is the article for those who don’t get the magazine (thanks to zenkidori for the transcription):

The Top Gear telly programme has quietly become a global phenomenon. Recent figures suggested an extraordinary viewership, something in the region of one billon people across the globe. This explains why Jeremy gets mobbed on the streets of Dubai, why Richard Hammond is swooned over by housewives in Auckland and why James May will shortly appear on a series of commemorative stamps in Luxembourg. Probably. Only one country has been strangely resistant to the charms of three blokes cocking about in an old aircraft hangar - the United States of America.

Untill now. Earlier this year, Discovery decided they wanted in on the Top Gear action, starting with 18 repackaged programmes using existing items from TG UK. Accordingly, our pluckly lads spent five days at the Top Gear base recording new studio linkds in a more American-friendly way. Basically, getting Jeremy not to call them fat and stupid. This, however, was a mere entree for Discovery’s main plan: to make thier own version of Top Gear on US soil. Thier own studio, thier own test track, even - since our boys were too busy and anyway James May doesn’y like places that don’t server a decent cup of tea - thier own presenters.

That’s why earlier this eyar a brand new TG USA production team assembleddeep in the Mojave desert to create a pilot show for thier version of Britain’s favourite almost-BAFTA-winning car programmer. And, liker thier idea of what constitues a decent cup of coffee, the American take on Top Gear wasn’t entirely the same as ours. Instead of a shabby hangar and a track built around arifield taxiways, they got a pit garage and a proper circuit. Instead of filling the studio with 200 grunting Subaru drivers, they did without an audience. And instead of The Tall One, The Short One and The Other Oen, they hired three rather different American presenters. Bruno, a professional drag racer with casual tales of crashing at 230mph. John, the super keen jock, blessed with quaint ’sir and m’am’ good manners that only Americans can do. And, Johnny, a former reality show winner with a nice line in wierd humor.

Fortunatly some reference points remained, including Star In A Reasonably Priced Car. But, to set the power laps, there could be no substitue - the Stig was flown to the US and stunned everyone with his blistering pace as he hammered the CLS55, Charger, and Mustang round the circuit.

After two days’ shooting, the show that popped out of the other end was something familiar and yet rather different. For one thing, filming in sunshine gives the show a glossy feel a million miles from another drizzle sodden canter down a runway in Surrey. And shouting “Bring on the Stig” just sounds cooler in an American accent.

If Discovery likes the pilot show, a series will follow in 2006. Then Americans can enjoy a weekly shot of Top Gear, just like the rest of the world.

Now let’s all cross our fingers and hope that Discovery decides to pick it up! Sure, it won’t have Jeremy and the gang, but hopefully it’ll retain enough of the original show to still be good.
Looks like someone typed up a quote from the magazine. I might pick up the newest issue at Borders this weekend to check out whether or not this is true.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:04 AM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
The truth about WW2 is that it set the stage for the decline of the British Empire and the ascendancy of American power. Before the war France and England were perceived as the preeminent world powers. Most people didn't think that Germany could sufficiently re-militarize under the Versailles Treaty to ever re-emerge as a world power. Besides, Germany lacked the vast colonial empires that the British, French, Dutch (and to a lesser extent even Italy) enjoyed. Russia's military was also in disarray.

Needless to say, WW2 saw the French, Germans, and the British humiliated. They emerged from the war as second rate powers that were a shadow of their former selves. Of course these guys are resentful.
If we were talking about government or politics then yes I would agree with you. BUT we are talking about a car show and to tell you the truth there are much more current things to dislike about America. While I like this country our leaders and "patriotic" people say very stupid things sometimes. We are the biggest power yet we are not humble at all. America is like that rich stuck up guy who is just annoying, sure he donated 10 grand to red cross but at the end of the day he is still a douche you make fun of behind his back. Plus our cars really aren't up to par just like he makes fun of the French for having bad cars and Germans for having eletrical problems and Japanese for making "toy" cars. Like I said before the man is an ass and makes fun of everything but he most of the time has proof to back it up. Shit he was bad mouthing the new Porsche and his producer just bought one and cut him off, LOL. It's all in good fun.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:47 AM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JesusJuice
If we were talking about government or politics then yes I would agree with you. BUT we are talking about a car show and to tell you the truth there are much more current things to dislike about America. While I like this country our leaders and "patriotic" people say very stupid things sometimes. We are the biggest power yet we are not humble at all. America is like that rich stuck up guy who is just annoying, sure he donated 10 grand to red cross but at the end of the day he is still a douche you make fun of behind his back. Plus our cars really aren't up to par just like he makes fun of the French for having bad cars and Germans for having eletrical problems and Japanese for making "toy" cars. Like I said before the man is an ass and makes fun of everything but he most of the time has proof to back it up. Shit he was bad mouthing the new Porsche and his producer just bought one and cut him off, LOL. It's all in good fun.
I totally agree with you man.

this guy is alot like my father, he makes fun of everyone equally. you cannot say he hates just american cars, because the guy will find faults in everything...

but if i remember correctly the guy has had TWO FORD GT's..

one broke, and ford took it back because of the security system, and they gave him another.. so you should all just stfu, its a Car SHOW
Old 12-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Suzuka Master

While you bring up good points; Remember, we were the only country to have the A-bomb. If the war had lasted longer, I am sure it would have somehow affected the war in Europe. The Nazis were a few years away from producing an Atom bomb.

If the US wasn't involved in the war, D-day would have never happened and a second front wouldn't have been opened. Britian would have been smashed had they attempted the landing without the US. Hitler could then focus his troops on the Soviets. Britian is lucky that the US entered the war in late 41. If they hadn't, Hitler's wonder weapons would have been implemented and V2s/V3s would have damaged London.

Sorry for the OT post.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Senior Moderator

While you bring up good points; Remember, we were the only country to have the A-bomb. If the war had lasted longer, I am sure it would have somehow affected the war in Europe. The Nazis were a few years away from producing an Atom bomb.

If the US wasn't involved in the war, D-day would have never happened and a second front wouldn't have been opened. Britian would have been smashed had they attempted the landing without the US. Hitler could then focus his troops on the Soviets. Britian is lucky that the US entered the war in late 41. If they hadn't, Hitler's wonder weapons would have been implemented and V2s/V3s would have damaged London.

Sorry for the OT post.
PM sent so we dont totally hijack this thread. I think we agree.

Back on topic.
I think one of the reasons that Top Gear is liked by so many ppl is because of the way the three hosts interact with each other. It really bings an element to the show that other car shows lack. As long as you take everything that is said on the show with a grain of salt, I find it to be very entertaining. At first I didnt like JC that much, but after watching some more shows I began to really like the whole show and find JC comments really funny. I cant wait for the next episode to come out now,......so I can DL it and watching it right away. Another reason the show is good is because they bash cars. On any Motoring show in the states you never see that. Everyone is afraid to say something negative about a car,..............thats how I feel anyway. Sure, sometimes they bash a car on silly things, but they also do point out things and bash a car when it should be. A good example would be a car that has a "rubbish" interior. Anway,...just my .
Old 12-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Instructor

I think he bashes american cars because they are crap. I mean, listen to what he is saying, and for the most part it is true. I sat in a new mustang the other day and I was vastly disappointed... it felt like crap. In Europe they have a different set of credentials to evaluate cars, and they are not the same that a lot of Americans have, so cars built here aren't made for what a lot of Europeans want. I find him hilarious. We are not the be all, end all of cultures. There is a lot to make fun of and if you can't see that then I think you are exactly what Clarkson is making fun of. Seriously, we are on a Acura board here, not some Ford forums. They always point out how good Honda is (they do make fun of its image, but it seems its much different over here). And we know that, thus we have Hondas/Acuras. We didn't buy American crap because for the most part, the cars are rubbish. Why get bent out of shape when a foreigner points it out ?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
That shit will not work for me. Clarkson and Hamster make Top Gear what it is, with their witty comments and crazy races. I will not watch a damn corporate-tized, watered down American version. I don't even watch the older Top Gear episodes with Tiff Needell in them.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Safety Car

Think they should leave the show as is and go from there. I also think the people who claim they know whats to come from the show like "The punchline where Hammond says "trouble is he didn't know anything about aerodynamics" is nowhere to be seen." are full of shit and are trying to create negative hype.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Safety Car

Also if you think 'America sucks' cause we don't have top gear, you should do a reality check of what is going on as Us soldiers give their lives for tangible things.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Think they should leave the show as is and go from there. I also think the people who claim they know whats to come from the show like "The punchline where Hammond says "trouble is he didn't know anything about aerodynamics" is nowhere to be seen." are full of shit and are trying to create negative hype.
Claim to know? I downloaded the British version and it was there. I still have it on my laptop. It wasn't on the Discovery show, which I also have on VHS. That's a fact.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've watched Top Gear and can do without Clarkson. The cars are the stars of the show for me. I tune out Clarkson's ignorant statements, even though they are good for a laugh. Tiff and Fifth Gear is a much better show. Tiff's driving skills shame Clarksons.

5th gear sucks. The girl out drove tiff on one episode... I've watched 10 or so espisodes of it and none of them have been really good.

And Clarkson isn't suppose to be a driving genius. They have "the stigg" for that.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, they edit a lot out man. Like the episode where they test the Aerial Atom and the crotch rocket. Jeremy makes fun of all of the middle aged guys out on crotch rockets with beer guts. That also got edited out in the US version, amongst other things in the same episode.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:00 AM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Also if you think 'America sucks' cause we don't have top gear, you should do a reality check of what is going on as Us soldiers give their lives for tangible things.
Oil?

BTW people who can't take people bad mouthing America are retarded. If someone said "Mike sucks" to me do you think I would list off all the good things I have done? Nope I would say "No you suck" and go on with my life. Now if I were complaining about detailed things and just whining I would understand people getting mad but who doesn't say things suck? School sucks, tv sucks, internet sucks, everything sucks it's not a comment to be taken seriously. Overly Defensive is the first sign of insecurity
Old 01-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
JC sporting a baseball cap? Hammond and May swapping high-fives? Certainly not! However...

The Stig arrives in the States to show 'em what Top Gear is all about

January 18, 2006

The Top Gear telly programme has quietly become a global phenomenon. Recent figures suggested an extraordinary viewership, something in the region of one billion people across the globe.

This explains why Jeremy gets mobbed on the streets of Dubai, why Richard Hammond is swooned over by housewives in Auckland and why James May will shortly appear on a series of commemorative stamps in Luxembourg. Probably.

Only one country has been strangely resistant to the charms of three blokes cocking about in an old aircraft hangar - the United States of America. Until now.

Earlier this year, Discovery decided they wanted in on the Top Gear action, starting with 18 repackaged programmes using existing items from TG UK.

A proper test track and sunshine... this can't be Top Gear

Accordingly, our plucky lads spent five days at the Top Gear base recording new studio links in a more, er, Yank-friendly way. Basically, getting Jeremy not to call them fat and stupid.

This, however, was a mere entree for Discovery's main plan: to make their own version of Top Gear on US soil. Their own studio, their own test track, even - since our boys were too busy and anyway James May doesn't like places that don't serve a decent cup of tea - their own presenters.

That's why last year a brand new TG USA production team assembled deep in the Mojave desert to create a pilot show for their version of Britain's favourite almost-Bafta-winning car programme.

And, like their idea of what constitutes a decent cup of coffee, the American take on Top Gear wasn't entirely the same as ours.

'Shouting "Bring on the Stig" just sounds cooler in an American accent'

Instead of a shabby hangar and a track built around airfield taxiways, they got a pit garage and a proper circuit.

Instead of filling the studio with 200 grunting Subaru drivers, they did without an audience.

And instead of The Tall One, The Short One and The Other One, they hired three rather different American presenters: Bruno, a professional drag racer with casual tales of crashing at 230mph; John, the super keen jock, blessed with quaint 'sir and m'am' good manners that only Americans can do; and Johnny, a former reality show winner with a nice line in weird humour.

Fortunately rain didn't interrupt proceedings... ever. It's the desert

Fortunately some reference points remained, including Star In A Reasonably Priced Car.

But, to set the power laps, there could be no substitute - the Stig was flown to the US and stunned everyone with his blistering pace as he hammered a CLS55, Charger SRT-8 and Mustang GT around the circuit.

After two days' shooting, the show that popped out the other end was something familiar and yet rather different.

For one thing, filming in sunshine gives the show a glossy feel a million miles from another drizzle-sodden canter down a runway in Surrey. And shouting 'Bring on the Stig' just sounds cooler in an American accent.

If Discovery likes the pilot show, a series will follow. Then the US can enjoy a weekly shot of Top Gear, just like the rest of the world.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Drifting

So, anyone knows who stig is?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:05 PM
That's Racist

-I can't imagine an american made for american audience version of top gear would be as entertaining as Clarkson, Hammond, and May's quirky British comments.

-I wouldnt' care as long as they can get the camera work as disgustingly amazing as they get it on BBC's top gear.

-Europe seems to have a much larger line of cars to choose from. It makes the show more interesting.

*Just off topic, everyone go to google videos, and search for top gear videos. From there, go watch the Toyota Aygo football match video. It's fucking hilarious.*
Old 01-19-2006, 06:07 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by JJ4Short
Oil?

BTW people who can't take people bad mouthing America are retarded. If someone said "Mike sucks" to me do you think I would list off all the good things I have done? Nope I would say "No you suck" and go on with my life. Now if I were complaining about detailed things and just whining I would understand people getting mad but who doesn't say things suck? School sucks, tv sucks, internet sucks, everything sucks it's not a comment to be taken seriously. Overly Defensive is the first sign of insecurity
I can't agree more, people need to seriously lighten up and take a joke.

They make fun of the French all the time on the BBC show. I'm sure American audiences would love that.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Banned

Who wants to watch a bunch of white people driving American cars? This show is going to be gay
Old 01-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Drifting

Received 248 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by sipark
So, anyone knows who stig is?

http://forum.finalgear.com/viewtopic...r=asc&start=40

latest rumors and speculat'n. Julian Bailey as printed in some article in some paper, somwhere.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:43 PM
It's not over yet

Thumbs down discovery channel broke the golden rule

Why fix it, if it is not broken
Looks like topgear is fawked
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/19/m...ar-in-the-u-s/

Last edited by agui; 02-02-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This has been dicussed at lengyh before, the US version != Top Gear.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,968 Likes on 5,137 Posts
that has to be a joke... it just...... can't be true.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Muckin' Forons
Old 02-03-2006, 12:06 AM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Repost...I posted this a month ago in Car Talk you are late you bastid
Old 02-03-2006, 12:07 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

And you are?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:09 AM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Originally Posted by fdl
And you are?
Keep asking me that!
Old 02-03-2006, 12:49 AM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, answer the man....!
Old 02-03-2006, 12:51 AM
That's Racist

i always thought the golden rule was treat others as you wish to be treated
Old 02-03-2006, 05:40 AM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
I thought discovery channel's golden rule was that you had to have at least 3 episodes of American Chopper on per day... I'm pretty sure they haven't broken that one yet...

I think it's hilarious what The discovery Channel has turned into.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:29 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
ill still watch it anyways, if i remember its on
Old 02-03-2006, 07:10 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
And you are?
Old 02-03-2006, 07:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
i always thought the golden rule was treat others as you wish to be treated
"them who has the money, make the rules"
Old 02-03-2006, 07:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
You didn't but JesusJuice did... Who are you anyways ??

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...discovery+gear

Merging threads...
Old 02-03-2006, 09:01 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Keep asking me that!

I will, untill the old avatar is back
Old 04-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

posted on finalgear.com

Top Gear 3 set for USA show

Hit motoring show Top Gear is heading to the US — making Stateside stars of the three British presenters.

BBC bosses are poised to sign a multimillion pound deal with a major broadcaster for Top Gear USA.

And it will still be fronted by the BBC2 show’s hosts — Sun columnist Jeremy Clarkson, Richard “Hamster” Hammond and James May.

A show source said: “It’s very exciting.

“Top Gear could succeed where Robbie Williams has failed by cracking America. And Jeremy and the guys can’t wait to teach the Yanks a bit about cars.”

BBC producers will work on the show, which will be almost identical to the UK’s studio-based version — but focusing on US gas-guzzlers such as the likes of Buick, Cadillac and Chevrolet.

Major US stars will be invited on to discuss their love of motoring — and test their skills against the show’s mystery racing driver, The Stig.

Producers hope to have the show on air by next year. Until then Jeremy, James and Richard will be filming the next UK series, which will hit our screens in the autumn.

Top Gear has already been shown in the US by Discovery Channel.
BBC's Top Gear in US deal talks

Top Gear has been a ratings winner for BBC Two
Hit TV show Top Gear could be heading to the US, after the BBC revealed it is in talks to take it over the Atlantic.
The Sun newspaper reported that the show will be fronted by current presenters Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May.

It said the US show would be the same as the UK version, but focusing on American cars, such as Cadillacs.

US stars will also test their driving skills against mystery racing driver The Stig, the newspaper added.

A spokeswoman for the BBC confirmed that BBC Worldwide - the corporation's commercial arm - had been in talks, but could not confirm details.

"BBC Worldwide has had exploratory conversations with the US networks to bring a local version of Top Gear to the US, but there is not yet a deal on the table," she said.

Top Gear has already been shown in the US on the Discovery Channel.

In November 2005 it won an international Emmy award for the best non-scripted entertainment show.

Top Gear made a successful comeback to BBC Two in January, four months after Richard Hammond was involved in a serious high-speed crash while filming.

Last month an estimated eight million people tuned in to see the last episode in the series - BBC Two's largest audience for 10 years.

The show is due to return for a new series in the autumn.
PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!

Quick Reply: Television: Top Gear (USA) News and Discussion Thread