a story of a shady dealership, a car, and a poor sucker

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
a story of a shady dealership, a car, and a poor sucker

My friend is growing tired of his turbocharged SVT Contour, and was interested in getting an Integra so he was out looking at a few Tegs last week. He called to tell me about this one special GS-R that he test drove at a dealership; Turbonetics kit, looks nearly stock on the outside, very nicely done. It drove well, but after getting back to the dealership, he noticed a lot of blue smoke so he opened up the oil cap on the valve cover. The oil was spewing out of it, meaning the piston rings are probably fried = blown engine.

So he told the sales guy that the engine is blown, and he was like, "Oh, I don't know anything about that, and the techs didn't say anything." So my friend left without saying anything else because he didn't want to deal with that shady fucker.

Fast forward to today, and I was leaving my apartment to get some food, and noticed this silver GS-R up ahead. I pulled up behind him at the light and he was checking my car out through his mirror. On green, he took off, and when he shifted into second, a huge puff of blue smoke came out. (See where I'm going with this?) I got next to him, looked over and the guy and the girl smiled. I smiled back, stopped at the next light, and waited for green. On green, we took off again, and I had him out of the hole. Then I heard a blow-off valve and I was like, "Shit, it's turbocharged.. he's gonna blow by me any second now." But that moment never came; in fact, I widened the gap. I was a bit surprised, but I knew there was something wrong with that car; I just hadn't made the connection to the GS-R that my friend test drove last week.

So we pulled over afterwards and started talking. He said his friend had just bought the car two days in the Metro-Detroit area and he was just driving it for "HER". (I want to meet this girl... traded in a Celica GT for a turbocharged Teg!! ) Anyway, that's when I made the connection; Metro Detroit area, just got it, silver GS-R, 40k miles, nicely done Turbo kit, and of course, the blue smoke. I told him that I might have some bad news and gave him the whole story. Boy, was he pissed. There was a girl riding with him, but she didn't say much at all, so I don't know if it was hers or not but my guess is that it is. I vaguely remember seeing that girl driving around in a silver Celica a few times around town (not a big town, really).

So it was just by a series of sheer coincidences that the girl bought the same car that my friend test drove and told me about, and that I ran into it. Metro Detroit (home for me) is about a 100 miles from my school here. The guy was like, "Man, I'm so glad I ran into you... otherwise we would've been screwed."

It PISSES me off that the fucking dealership would sell the car without telling, even after my friend told them the engine was blown. How do these people sleep at night?

Anyway, just wanted to share this sort of fucked up story. I hope it works out for them and the dealership burns down to the ground. It's the same dealership that my brother almost bought a 9-3 Aero from. I am glad that he didn't.

Stay away from Glassman in Southfield, Michigan.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:04 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
they are salesmen, they are in business for money. If some poor sucker comes and buys it, while fucked up, it's their own fault for not looking into the car more.

what does he think is now gonna happen, does he really think the dealer is gonna give him his money back?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by CLpower
they are salesmen, they are in business for money. If some poor sucker comes and buys it, while fucked up, it's their own fault for not looking into the car more.

what does he think is now gonna happen, does he really think the dealer is gonna give him his money back?
Who knows? The guy said he'll keep me updated, so we'll see what happens.

So you're saying that if you bought a car and there was something wrong with it which you didn't notice at the time, you would simply admit fault and say, "hey, it was my fault" and live with it? Especially when you find out for certain (in this case) that the dealership was aware of the problem and straight up conned you?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats why id NEVER buy a used car without taking it to my trusted mechanic
Old 07-11-2005, 09:26 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fucked up story, crazy that u ran into them
Old 07-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Dragging knees in

More on the story... My friend Alex just called me, and he knows the guy that was driving it. Small world, eh?

Anyway, Alex has looked at the car before, and he said it is running rich. But we both have our doubts, so he's gonna do a compression check on the engine.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:30 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you have 3 days to return a car to any dealership even after you sign all the paperwork and get your DP back too! If they refuse you sue them and walk away with a bigger DP. I worked at a dealership a while back and learned a lot and car dealers are like drug dealers in a way. They don;t care if their shit is good they just want your money. You gotta be a hustler when you walk into opne of those places.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:33 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Who knows? The guy said he'll keep me updated, so we'll see what happens.

So you're saying that if you bought a car and there was something wrong with it which you didn't notice at the time, you would simply admit fault and say, "hey, it was my fault" and live with it? Especially when you find out for certain (in this case) that the dealership was aware of the problem and straight up conned you?

basically, if I was buying a used car i'd take it to a mechanic. If I was buying a car w/ an aftermarket turbo i'd have the motor extensively tested w/ leak down tests and the such. All dealers are con artists, it's up to you to not fall for it.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:34 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by sbuswell
you have 3 days to return a car to any dealership even after you sign all the paperwork and get your DP back too! If they refuse you sue them and walk away with a bigger DP. I worked at a dealership a while back and learned a lot and car dealers are like drug dealers in a way. They don;t care if their shit is good they just want your money. You gotta be a hustler when you walk into opne of those places.

not true at all, and it depends on the state. Most states no longer have that "grace period"
Old 07-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by sbuswell
What do you do if they don't give your down payment back? My friend wanted to buy a first gen CL, put a down payment on it, but when he came back to look at it he noticed it was fucked up pretty bad (alignment of trunk terribly off from a big accident, the dealer claimed only the taillight was hit). Now they are refusing to give back his down payment because he won't buy the car. What do we do? The stealership wouldn't let him take it to an Acura dealer to get inspected either, so I think they are SERIOUSLY in the wrong and something legally might be able to be done.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:20 AM

Just like my buddy who was offered an ek hatch w/ b16 turbocharged for 5k.

Sounds too good to be true...

And yes blue smoke came out of this car when test driven.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
That sucks. I've known many people who have had similar situations when dealing with used cars, but nothing quite that bad.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:31 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by youngTL
What do you do if they don't give your down payment back? My friend wanted to buy a first gen CL, put a down payment on it, but when he came back to look at it he noticed it was fucked up pretty bad (alignment of trunk terribly off from a big accident, the dealer claimed only the taillight was hit). Now they are refusing to give back his down payment because he won't buy the car. What do we do? The stealership wouldn't let him take it to an Acura dealer to get inspected either, so I think they are SERIOUSLY in the wrong and something legally might be able to be done.

sue the fuck out of them
Old 07-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
sue the fuck out of them
He's going to threaten to sue first I think. Then if they still don't give it back, I think the stealership will be by small claims court for taking money without proving a service or product and refusing an inspection (because the conditions for the down payment were PENDING INSPECTION)
Old 07-13-2005, 01:01 PM
My M45 loves to eat rice

... and kids, that's why you don't buy a used, heavily-modified car from a dealership with no prior knowledge of the modifications.

kthxbye
Old 07-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Boondocks fanatic.....

Dealerships like Glassman are the reason I had an anal attitude when bought my TL. But then again, they probably got burned by whoever sold the integra to them.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Beware of leakage

Silver GSR = rarity, GSR only offered in Silver in 01.

In a way, I was played also by the dealer who sold me my Teg. They made no mention of the Engine swap, someone on the street mentioned it to me. Of course I hunted down the owner before me and he and I are now friends and I learned the whole history of the car and what not, and he has helped me with installs and the likes.
Looking at the engine there as no way in hell I would have ever notice either, and it took the Acura dealer I use (nnot where I bought the car) 6 fucking visits to even notice it!!
It seems my piston rings may be on their way out also, mine too has started to blow out blue smoke in the upper (6-8k) RPM band.
My Acura dealer finally noticed after ordering a new ECU to fix my "oil consumption" problem and could not find any VIN codes on the Engine. The Acura dealer even told me to talk to the original dealer (who is now owned by the same family that owns the Acura delaer) about possibly taking the car back, since I had no knowledge about the engine when I bought the car.

I think I may start a new thread about this,,,I have mentioned it a couple of times now, to get some more input.