Squash air fresheners suck but I found something better!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squash air fresheners suck but I found something better!

So, I bought one of those squash air fresheners. It smelled good for about a week, then nothing and there was no good spot to fit the huge external hard drive looking case that it needs. One of my students gave me a great idea....roasted coffee beans. I bought some columbian coffee beans and put it in a small glass cup in my cupholder. It's not overpowering just enough to make the whole car smell fresh. Plus a much cheaper option than a $20 squash air freshener.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I'd say my White Peach air freshener last a good month. You know, you do get used to the smell pretty quick and don't notice it as much. Let us know how long the coffee beans last........
Old 10-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
OR you can buy some of those good smelling Yankee Candle air fresheners and tie it around the HVAC filter behind the glove-box. That's what I do and the smell lasts for a few months and as well isn't overpowering!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts
i'm going to assume that by squash you meant the csx3 squash or w/e and yes, those do suck. go to an asian store if you any in your area and try out GLARE or AIRSPENCER (in the can) they should last longer and they actually smell a lot better as well. Also keep in mind that as your nose becomes more and more accustomed to the smell, itll seem like it has wore out you, but passangers will still smell it.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:18 PM
06 WDP/Ebony MT NAV ASPEC

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I get those squash cx3 something ones as well, make sure they are the genuine ones that are made in japan. I make sure the vent is closed all the way so they dont dry out too fast and i stick it in my cubby under the radio. I can smell it whenever i open my trunk and it lasts a long time. I could get about 3 months out of them in my integra. Maybe it is because it is cooler here though ?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Or you can keep the inside of your car clean (or take a shower) and your car will smell almost like new without using any nasty car scent products.
Now if you smoke well then there is no hiding that nasty crap. :-)
Old 10-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Haha, I usually take a shower atleast once a month, but good idea maybe I should increase my shower frequency. I live just across the bridge from you. I went to Lockport High School.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:53 PM
NBP is a pain...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RIGA
Haha, I usually take a shower atleast once a month, but good idea maybe I should increase my shower frequency. I live just across the bridge from you. I went to Lockport High School.
ur kidding, right? a shower, once a month????
Old 10-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Ya man, I've got to conserve water.....anymore than that is just too luxurious for me
Old 10-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Old 10-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Have to ask, why does your car stink? Do you smoke in it? Wear cologne (that gets nasty soon)? Fart? Eat in it?

My TL smells like a combination of leather, plastic, and car. Nothing bad there. And since I don't smoke, don't eat in it, don't use colognes or aftershaves (I can't - my sense of smell very sensitive), and raise my butt if I can't stifle a fart, it doesn't stink.

I used to work with a man who put a bar of soap in a dish and kept it under his seat. He used Camay and boy in the summer, it sure stunk. Another fellow I worked with marinated in English Leather (don't know why men and particularly women insist on stinking up the place by marinating in horrific scents) and he also smoked. Boy, his cloth interior was foul.

There are some foul smelling car interiors out there. Lord knows what their owners must be doing.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Instructor

My car never smelled bad. It smelled like nothing. I was just looking to make it smell like something good. I'm sure the bar of soap was a poor choice. I heard of people using those scented dryer sheets in their car and I guess that works pretty well for a quick fix.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Never used a car air freshener.

I keep my car interior very clean....no need for air freshener.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:30 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Fart.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,767 Likes on 806 Posts
I'm ole' skool.
One on the mirror. One hanging from the ashtray in the rear. One in the trunk.

I change them out about every month.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:12 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
All air fresheners last longer than you think. I've been in many cars where the owner said that their air freshener sucks because it only lasts a week!

But, lo and behold, as soon as they open the door, the scent is overpowering.

I do what some of the previous posters do: No Air Freshener. I've been tempted, but I have had my car for 3 years, brand new off of the lot, and I haven't used any air freshener.

Just last month, someone sat in my car and said that it still had "new car" smell!

I don't detail my interior often, or do anything other than occasionally wipe it down with leather treatment or wipes, and vacuum the carpet.

I think I've learned my lesson with this car. No air freshener for any future cars for me! Another person even told me that air fresheners "cheapen" their perception of the car?!
Old 10-24-2009, 02:41 AM
Stop Drop and Roll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I keep my car in almost like new condition and occasionally I buy a squash air freshner. Ive had it for two years now and some people think it still looks brand new inside and some even mentioned that it had a new car smell. Anyways, with the squash air freshner, i just buy a refill and keep it in the cupholder or under the nav/radio inside its original box and stab a few holes in the box so the smell can escape. It lasts a lot longer that way.

And dude, 20 dollars for a air freshner? I get my refill for 8 dollars and I dont think the original csx3 costs more than 14.

But yeah, coffee beans is a good idea too. You can put the beans in a jar and puncture some holes with a nail onto a lid so it doesnt spill everywhere on accident.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:04 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
All air fresheners last longer than you think. I've been in many cars where the owner said that their air freshener sucks because it only lasts a week!

I do what some of the previous posters do: No Air Freshener. I've been tempted, but I have had my car for 3 years, brand new off of the lot, and I haven't used any air freshener.

Just last month, someone sat in my car and said that it still had "new car" smell!

I don't detail my interior often, or do anything other than occasionally wipe it down with leather treatment or wipes, and vacuum the carpet.

I think I've learned my lesson with this car. No air freshener for any future cars for me! Another person even told me that air fresheners "cheapen" their perception of the car?!
Yea seriously, this happens to me too. Are our smell sensors so adapt to our car smell that we don't even catch a sniff of this "new car" smell? My friends ask me how the hell did I retain the new car smell after 2 years. I looked at him crazy because I don't smell anything when I step into my car.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:39 AM
I shoot people

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,477 Posts
yeah, I don't know about the coffee bean thing... all I know is... sometimes I go to Starbucks, and there's a long line... so, I'm in there like 5+ minutes... I walk outta there and my shirt smells like coffee... I don't care for that.

but anyway, as for the Squash smell... I got tired of buying the original brand that only last like a week... I found this knock off brand thats usually around $10 for 3, and they last a hell of a lot longer, maybe more like a couple months!
Old 10-24-2009, 07:22 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I agree the Squash is way overpriced. It smells pretty good and girls usually like it but the refills were too expensive for my taste.

I forgot what my car smelled like before, but I left a 40 ounce of beer in the trunk once in the summer. For some reason my dumbass left the divider flap down (I have a hatch, it goes between the interior and trunk). One 90+ degree summer afternoon later, I opened the door and was immediately greeted by rank old beer. I thought wtf? and saw tiny shards of glass on my dashboard. I opened the hatch and discovered the beer bottle exploded. I guess the glass ricocheted off the back windshield and up to the dashboard

Anyway it smelled fucking awful for days until I went and rented a Rug doctor from Safeway a couple days later. Went and soaked the carpet in the trunk and vacuumed it up twice, then pulled the carpet back and washed the metal underneath also. Then I went and washed/vacuumed every carpeted surface in the car and aired it out. When I was done, my car literally smelled like nothing.

I got the idea from some chick on another forum I'm on who bought a car with cloth seats from a smoker because it was dirt cheap. It also had coke/God-knows-what stains on the carpet and she went to town and afterwords it smelled like nothing.

holy essay... anyways hoped that helped someone
Old 10-24-2009, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug

I think this is correct. The public is both fickle and varied, and in order to make your car stand out at sell-time or trade-in, you should always consider the market specific to the model and type of car you're trying to unload. Unless, of course, you just don't care.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Not just a smell

Febreeze works great. The scent goes away soon but so do the odours.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I become a bit puzzled when people say my car still smells new.

They must be nuts.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:28 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
yeah, I don't know about the coffee bean thing... all I know is... sometimes I go to Starbucks, and there's a long line... so, I'm in there like 5+ minutes... I walk outta there and my shirt smells like coffee... I don't care for that.

but anyway, as for the Squash smell... I got tired of buying the original brand that only last like a week... I found this knock off brand thats usually around $10 for 3, and they last a hell of a lot longer, maybe more like a couple months!

My Shaldans actually have been around in Japan for quite a long time. They're super super cheap especially in bulk!

I don't know how you guys are spending 20 dollars on squash refreshners.... I spent $10 on my Smooth Cologne air freshner... I bought it on 5/1/09, and I can still smell the squash scent in the car. It's sat under my passenger seat since I got it. The freshner is almost all gone now, but it still gives off the scent
Old 10-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
i used to deliver pizza and a quick febreeze spray killed any hint of food and it smelled fresh. (the febreeze in the aerosol not the regular spray bottle). now i have a new car and i just put in a leather scent air freshener (smells more like cologne) but that or the black ice tree air freshener has a masculine cologne or body wash type of smell to it and less of a cheap taxi cab smell to it.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater

Shaldan's not really a knock off...I used them most of the time. Apple or Lime is usually my choice. I can't find the squash flavor anywhere. The only thing I really hate about Shaldans is they tend to melt during the summer months and they freeze in the winter months faster than comparable brands out there. But they do smell good.