Spotted. Chevy Volt testing in Colorado.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,097 Posts
Originally Posted by tmnhs81
Sorry SuperTrooper169, I didn't post that video to piss you off or anything. I posted it in comparison to CRX. This thing don't have much power but looks fast around track with all that weight it is carrying. At least its faster than Prius and Insight..
No worries, you didn't piss me off, I was just trying to figure out your intentions of showing the video since you didn't write anything, you just posted the vid.

Originally Posted by Shoofin
I loved the CRX, and was excited about the CRZ when I heard it's coming out...But the prototype shown sort of let me down a little. I'd have to see it in person to be convinced that it could be something to consider. The one thing I hate the most is the overhang beyond the front wheels. Same thing goes for the FIT...That overhang drives me nuts..
I agree I'll have to see it in person too to see if it grabs me like the CRX did when I first saw it on the street. I just think the idea of a 6mt paired up to a hybrig motor, realtively low weight and decent hp, it has the potential to stir things up in the hybrid market.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,230 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
Yeah it worked really well for the EV1. Maybe one day we'll even get a nifty little movie about it, too!
The EV1 was a exploratory vehicle for GM that was leased only and not intended for high volume. it's purpose was to fulfill the CARB requirements and see how a all-electric vehicle would perform for a urban user. It was never intended to go into high volume production. Everyone knew it's original lead-acid batteries were insufficient but that was a compromise that had to be made. The inductive paddle charger also made it not practical to charge besides the charging stations and your home.

The Volt is a different concept with the gas recharging engine and electric charging cord, still remains to be seen what will come of it. My gut feeling is it will be successful for GM in urban use.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:44 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right, but thousands of people said they'd get one but only a few did. I predict we'll see a similar situation with the Volt. At least the Volt has the chance to be more practical but I still think it'll be too limiting for widespread adoption.

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
The EV1 was a exploratory vehicle for GM that was leased only and not intended for high volume. it's purpose was to fulfill the CARB requirements and see how a all-electric vehicle would perform for a urban user. It was never intended to go into high volume production. Everyone knew it's original lead-acid batteries were insufficient but that was a compromise that had to be made. The inductive paddle charger also made it not practical to charge besides the charging stations and your home.

The Volt is a different concept with the gas recharging engine and electric charging cord, still remains to be seen what will come of it. My gut feeling is it will be successful for GM in urban use.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:07 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,230 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
Right, but thousands of people said they'd get one but only a few did. I predict we'll see a similar situation with the Volt. At least the Volt has the chance to be more practical but I still think it'll be too limiting for widespread adoption.
True, I was working for Hughes at the time (working on DirecTV) and had to take a product liability class from a GM/Hughes/Delco attorney. The instructor was also working on the EV1, he had some amusing stories about EV1. The best was many who worked on the EV1 wondering if more people were involved with design/development/production of the EV1 than the actual number of EV1 drivers