Speeders: If you won't lead, DON'T FOLLOW

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Speeders: If you won't lead, DON'T FOLLOW

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Driving to work cruising at 85 MPH. Passed this Pontiac Grand Prix that immediately jumps out of the "75 MPH caravan" line and starts pacing me. Knowing the road pretty well, I kick it up to 95 and it does the same. After about 5 irritating minutes, I change lanes opposite of it and braked down to 70 changing lanes behind it. As expected, it's back at 75. Stayed there for a minute or so then jumped back up to 85. It does the same, all the way up to 105. At this point, I'm hot so I take the next exit and just chilled on the ramp for a couple minutes.

I, personally, have a "code of the Highway" which stipulates that if I'm travelling with speeders, responsibility is shared all around. Not just one car who plays bait for speed traps. If you've got the balls to follow me, show me you're not scared to lead either. Just wondering how you guys feel about a-holes like this. And if you are an a-hole like this, explain why you make d*%k moves like this.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
I hate that. Where was this? I-20? Heck, at 105 mph it don't take long to get through SP-B.

Did you every get the alarm issue fixed?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Racer

Took it over to Acura and they ran all the test they could. Found no power draws or anything that would cause the alarm to go off. I can tell ya it hasn't happened since then so maybe they inadvertently fixed it. Luckily, they didn't charge me. Was my Viper-removal decision a little premature? In retrospect, yeah but like I said, I didn't trust Best Buy's work anyhow. Gonna try again later with Acura's recommended remote start local installer, Russ Walker's Auto Mall Accessories right down the road from the dealership.

I-20 is correct, sir. My job is in Monroe. It's a good thing I love to drive because it's a 160 mile round-trip 5 days a week.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:29 AM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
what a loser.. =\

holy crap how many miles does ur TL have now?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:33 AM
Racer

TL isn't my daily driver. Honda Civic I bought brand new in October '09 is now at 60,000 + miles. Lil sucka still gets down as good as the day I drove it off the lot.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
If the road ahead was clear for the both of your lanes, he was maybe trying to entice you into a race. I have done this to entice a race but I break it off and create distance from them after just a few seconds if they don't take my bait.

When you slowed down, the other guy maybe thought that you wanted to start the race at a slower speed to have more headroom in which to accelerate. So when you began to accelerate again, he was pacing you and waiting for you to drop the hammer to commence the race.

But it was wrong of him to continue this charade for too long. I am careful to break it off quickly when I do this stunt.

Kudos to you for how you handled it.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:56 AM
Racer

He stayed about 3 car lengths behind me no matter what speed I was going. This wasn't a race. Just someone who wanted to get where they were going a little quicker and wanted to use me to sniff out cops. Plus, it was a Grand Prix and I was in a rental Chevy Cobalt. If it was a race attempt, it would have been a very sad and pathetic one.

Last edited by ciscopath; 01-22-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Ok. With the additional info, it wasn't a race. He was flat-out using you for cover.

But if it was a race, at least you were winning by 3 cars lengths.
^ Just joking.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:22 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
To be honest, I follow. I drive a whole lot on highways and I'm only 21 and usually drive slightly over limit (75 most likely in a 70). At times you'll have several cars driving at least 80-85 so I'd just follow because cops don't like me on the highways (I know because I use to drive 85-95 in 70 MPH limit) especially without my front license plate and the fact that I look young. Nothing wrong with it really, spend less time paying attention to that and more to driving. You just have to much time on your hands. I'm not a sporadic driver though.

Last edited by TheChamp531; 01-22-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess I'm an a-hole then...why do I do d%*k moves like that? b/c i don't want to get a f*****g ticket lol
Old 01-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Racer

No beef with anyone who's following someone that doesn't mind leading because normally they're cruising at about 80 - 85 MPH. I don't like to be followed because I drive at night and with a car's headlights shining in my rearview mirror, the glare makes it hard to look ahead for cops. Jumping from 85 to 95 should have been the Grand Prix's first clue. But then jumping to 105 with him still on tail? Grand Prix was just being a jerk.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:39 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by ciscopath
He stayed about 3 car lengths behind me no matter what speed I was going. This wasn't a race. Just someone who wanted to get where they were going a little quicker and wanted to use me to sniff out cops. Plus, it was a Grand Prix and I was in a rental Chevy Cobalt. If it was a race attempt, it would have been a very sad and pathetic one.
105 in a Cobalt?? Now that's ballsy
Old 01-22-2011, 07:47 AM
Saysdamnalot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Props to the OP

I cannot explain, even in expletives, how much this annoys me. But then again, I have cockandballs syndrome and don't hold my vag while following manly drivers.

If you're afraid to speed, DON'T!!!!. Or get your damn momma to drive for you. Maybe she carries the balls in your township.

I have seen cops pull over the person following the speeder. Proof: even dicks don't like those kinds of pussies.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:54 AM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
I hate when people do this on back roads... It happens at night and I speed up to get away from their improperly aimed lights, yet they continue to tailgate. Eventually I slow down in a passing zone and they go around, I don't get it. Same goes for tailgaters during the day.. speed up significantly because i want them off my ass, yet they stay on it for no apparent reason.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Honestly I agree it's annoying and a the extreme of selfishness but at the same time I really think it'snot that annoying that you take an exit and wait and chill on the ramp to let him go ... I mean ok he's followin but there aint much you can do .. unless you want a customized oil spill or apple pie thrower in your car :-p
just my 2 cents

p.s. I usually start using my windshield washer ... even at highway speeds, yes it does reach the car following and it kinda does annoy them specially when the car behind is SHINY :-p
Old 01-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
This whole thread is balsy , hopefully your not back on in 6 weeks whining because the car you were racing with or speeding with lost control and killed someone. Its always an innocent party that gets whacked.

Sorry , no tollerance for street/highway racing or excessive speeding. Lost a good friend to it because of someone loosing control.

Oh I know.. your going to say its on separated open highway but at 85+ MPH ever see what hitting a small animal will cause or a blow out. You wipe out the guy behind you or he has no time to react and takes you out.

My friend was walking his dog along a trail close to 100 feet from the highway and one of the guys swerved to miss something not realizing the other guy dicing around had changed lanes and he clipped him sending him across the trail killing my buddy.

Sorry .. JMHO... continue on.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
I drive 42 miles to work, each way, everyday. Speed limit is 65mph, I take it to 73mph, and never go past this.

IMHO, 10 - 15 minutes worth of reduced travel time WILL NOT save me nearly as much money as a $xxx speeding ticket hit would; there's just no ROI.

OP - I have sympathy for you, but overall, I just don't think it's ever worth it.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Sorry , no tollerance for street/highway racing or excessive speeding. Lost a good friend to it because of someone loosing control.
Where did he EVER state this was a race? I am pretty sure the context CLEARLY states that 3-distances or more were maintained throughout.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Plastic schmastic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Driving to work cruising at 85 MPH. Passed this Pontiac Grand Prix that immediately jumps out of the "75 MPH caravan" line and starts pacing me. Knowing the road pretty well, I kick it up to 95 and it does the same. After about 5 irritating minutes, I change lanes opposite of it and braked down to 70 changing lanes behind it. As expected, it's back at 75. Stayed there for a minute or so then jumped back up to 85. It does the same, all the way up to 105. At this point, I'm hot so I take the next exit and just chilled on the ramp for a couple minutes.

I, personally, have a "code of the Highway" which stipulates that if I'm travelling with speeders, responsibility is shared all around. Not just one car who plays bait for speed traps. If you've got the balls to follow me, show me you're not scared to lead either. Just wondering how you guys feel about a-holes like this. And if you are an a-hole like this, explain why you make d*%k moves like this.
You had to pull over and chill for WHAT???
Bunch of crapola of you ask me. If you want to drive 95-105, front or back, you're asking for a ticket. It is unsafe around traffic to drive that fast anyway. But to actually get yourself worked up and have to pull over because a smarter driver is using you as a blocker?? I hope that is just forum hyperbole, and you didn't actually "have" to do that.
Of course, I now realize I own a car where forum traffic is more dominated by younger folk, so viewpoints come from an age from back when I might have been close to the same way........
And really, does it take balls to follow you??? I think not.......

**edit** by the way, you say you need to look ahead for cops, and the lights behind you hinder that? Well trust me, when you see the cops, it's too late.......

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
If the road ahead was clear for the both of your lanes, he was maybe trying to entice you into a race. I have done this to entice a race but I break it off and create distance from them after just a few seconds if they don't take my bait.

When you slowed down, the other guy maybe thought that you wanted to start the race at a slower speed to have more headroom in which to accelerate. So when you began to accelerate again, he was pacing you and waiting for you to drop the hammer to commence the race.

But it was wrong of him to continue this charade for too long. I am careful to break it off quickly when I do this stunt.

Kudos to you for how you handled it.
Your info says you're 51. Really??? With the opinions stated above???

Last edited by jimmyl; 01-22-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
This has happened to me so many times. You can fluctuate the speed by like 40 mph all the way up to 100 and some of these jackasses will never leave your ass unless you stop the car and wait for them to get further ahead. I just keep fluctuating my speed by huge amounts till they pass me.

But you have to be careful I did have someone throw a metal object out his window at my car puttting a nice big dent in my rear fender. (this wasnt from fluctuating speed it was from me honking at someone who cut me off)

After that incident everyone i know tells me that it was my fault for honking and that I egged him on to throw stuff at me.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:37 AM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
He stayed about 3 car lengths behind me no matter what speed I was going. This wasn't a race. Just someone who wanted to get where they were going a little quicker and wanted to use me to sniff out cops.
Sounds pretty smart to me. If you don't like it you can go 75 too.

I get where you're coming from, but someone said "kudos for the way you handled it". ??? You handled it by driving recklessly (105mph) and then getting so mad you had to take an exit and pull over?

I thought maybe I'm just getting old, but I see you're 30 so... I don't know.

Flame suit on.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by stvtec
I thought maybe I'm just getting old, but I see you're 30 so... I don't know.
I'm 29, fellow New-Joiseian, WDP 6MT

Read my post above, maybe it's an East Coast thing?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Plastic schmastic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MofroS
Props to the OP

I cannot explain, even in expletives, how much this annoys me. But then again, I have cockandballs syndrome and don't hold my vag while following manly drivers.

If you're afraid to speed, DON'T!!!!. Or get your damn momma to drive for you. Maybe she carries the balls in your township.

I have seen cops pull over the person following the speeder. Proof: even dicks don't like those kinds of pussies.
OK, note to self: mofroS is the forum tuff-guy. Oh yea, and is vag-less.....
Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 AM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Glad to see a few like-minded posters in this thread.

I do understand OP's frustration that he, as the lead car, is taking the risk for this other guy. However, that's his choice. IMO freaking out about it by going 100+ mph, driving erratically (wildly varying speeds), and then pulling over is ridiculous. It doesn't even sound like the follower was tailgating or doing anything else dangerous (aside from following this lunatic up to 105mph).

The "code of the highway" says 65mph is the speed limit, safe following distance, etc etc. The "code" that you have enacted in your head really doesn't mean much.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
The rule I follow is to drive at a speed at which I'm comfortable, and 3 seconds' worth of room between both cars in front and in back of mine.

If a car is going the same speed as mine ahead of me, my car will stay 3 seconds-- not car lengths-- behind it. If a car comes up behind me at a faster speed, I move to the right and let the car pass.

BTW, I've never had a car stay behind me more than a minute with less than a 2 second gap (minimum safe stopping distance) if I slow down to speed limit on clear roads.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I am semi guilty of doing something like that. I am usually driving faster than the average but if someone comes up behind me going faster, I'll pull into the slow lane to let them pass and then bump my speed up to keep within an eyeshot.

If the traffic is such that it becomes unsafe, then I let them go.

I use the windshield washer thing all the time for tailgaters.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Why would you get so worked up over someone following you? As long as they're a safe distance from you it shouldn't matter. I don't care who follows and I don't care what the person thinks if I'm following them as long as its a safe distance.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
i hate jerks like that.

anyone ever have a long drive and make a "driving buddy"?

like 85% of the people i see on the road on a daily basis drive like absolute shit but occasionally i see someone else who knows what they are doing

once i ran into a white ls460 and we took turns leading and tangoing down i-95 at close to 95 miles per hour for about 2 hours. Shit was fun and i was happy that the guy always knew when to lead and when to follow

another time i had a little civic follow my tail as we weaved in and out of ct-15 for the entire length of it

I like it when other people know how to drive as long as they DO NOT tailgate me. Thats a deal breaker. If i am not going fast its because someone is in front of me or there is traffic you fucking moron. IF an opening is there i take it and its not like you are going anywhere faster than the rest of us...
Old 01-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Saysdamnalot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyl
OK, note to self: mofroS is the forum tuff-guy. Oh yea, and is vag-less.....
LOL. Bad fo real.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
105 . I sometimes follow speeders but the max speed I ever go when following is 80. If they go faster than that I will just stay at 80 and let them go, good for them and hope a cop doesn't gun them. And I also lead the caravan when going 75-80.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
People like this don't piss me off too bad. I have to deal with tailgaters on a two lane highway in 7,000lb trucks every day so minor stuff doesn't get to me too bad.

I ended up in a 4 car group for 3 hours on the way back from Vegas. We kept together at 90mph and took turns leading throughout the trip. Everyone was considerate, kept a decent following distance, let each other over and took turns. I got a couple waves when I took my exit. Considering it just happened this way it was pretty cool.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:32 PM

All I know, if something this small pisses you off to vent in a public forum,'you have a problem
Old 01-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
People like this don't piss me off too bad. I have to deal with tailgaters on a two lane highway in 7,000lb trucks every day so minor stuff doesn't get to me too bad.

I ended up in a 4 car group for 3 hours on the way back from Vegas. We kept together at 90mph and took turns leading throughout the trip. Everyone was considerate, kept a decent following distance, let each other over and took turns. I got a couple waves when I took my exit. Considering it just happened this way it was pretty cool.
I've experienced this same thing when driving from Dallas to Austin and vice versa. 3 or 4 cars want to go 80-90 while others go the limit of 65. The cars take turns leading every 15 min or so and are considerate of the other cars in the group.. hold a good distance behind them (not tailgating them like assholes). Also, as happens a lot here, there are a lot of 18wheelers so all the cars have to switch lanes to pass the truck but a car or 2 might get stuck so when let's say the 2nd or 3rd car in the group gets stuck behind the 18wheeler the car behind it will slow down to let it move over and cut in to keep with teh group and to pass the truck.

Then again, there are fuck tards who go 60 in a 65 in the left lane and don't even go to the right lane even if there is nobody in that lane. Hate those people.

But I have to admit that when on the highway I have a 'lead foot'. I inherited it from my mom cus she's gotten so many fucking speeding tickets lol. But I am usually good at watchign my speed.

Btw, welcome back from your ban

Last edited by imj0257; 01-22-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
All I know, if something this small pisses you off to vent in a public forum,'you have a problem
Yeep... and to have to pull onto an off ramp to chill... otherwise.... ?????
Old 01-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerG
i hate jerks like that.

anyone ever have a long drive and make a "driving buddy"?

like 85% of the people i see on the road on a daily basis drive like absolute shit but occasionally i see someone else who knows what they are doing

once i ran into a white ls460 and we took turns leading and tangoing down i-95 at close to 95 miles per hour for about 2 hours. Shit was fun and i was happy that the guy always knew when to lead and when to follow

another time i had a little civic follow my tail as we weaved in and out of ct-15 for the entire length of it

I like it when other people know how to drive as long as they DO NOT tailgate me. Thats a deal breaker. If i am not going fast its because someone is in front of me or there is traffic you fucking moron. IF an opening is there i take it and its not like you are going anywhere faster than the rest of us...
That's what I can't stand. People that tailgate you because you have a line of 50 cars in front of you going too slow. I don't get it. I think it's a lack of intelligence or no ability to see the big picture, all they see is the car that's right in front of them that's going too slow.

I have no problem opening it up to 90+ when you're the only car on a 5 lane highway but that's becoming pretty rare now. I know there's always the unexpected but I have no problem controlling the car at those speeds. I've slid the GN around at those speeds probably a few hundred times since I was 17 and the TL is super easy to control.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
The follower must not realize that cops can and do stop multiple cars especially at 100+ speeds. I have seen multiple cars pulled over on 395 going to Mammoth and even on 5.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:33 PM

Oh Texas traffic is funny. Yeah I don't like when people go 60 on the left lane on a 2 lane highway. The only thing I have a problem is when a 18 wheeler drives over 10 MPH, I make to let him know that my TL is bigger

I follow but I have a certain limit. Especially when gas is soaring, going over 80 will annihilate my gas mileage so I try to keep at steady 75 on 70's.

Originally Posted by imj0257
I've experienced this same thing when driving from Dallas to Austin and vice versa. 3 or 4 cars want to go 80-90 while others go the limit of 65. The cars take turns leading every 15 min or so and are considerate of the other cars in the group.. hold a good distance behind them (not tailgating them like assholes). Also, as happens a lot here, there are a lot of 18wheelers so all the cars have to switch lanes to pass the truck but a car or 2 might get stuck so when let's say the 2nd or 3rd car in the group gets stuck behind the 18wheeler the car behind it will slow down to let it move over and cut in to keep with teh group and to pass the truck.

Then again, there are fuck tards who go 60 in a 65 in the left lane and don't even go to the right lane even if there is nobody in that lane. Hate those people.

But I have to admit that when on the highway I have a 'lead foot'. I inherited it from my mom cus she's gotten so many fucking speeding tickets lol. But I am usually good at watchign my speed.

Btw, welcome back from your ban
Old 01-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Honestly OP, what that Grand Prix does shouldn't have any bearing on how fast you're driving. Why should you care about him? If he's tailgating you dangerously, that's another issue. Otherwise, you do you, and let him do him.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He failed to use you as a rabbit. Leo can clock you useing lidar (laser beam that targets only 1 car at a time through a scope) or radar (targets up to 2 cars at the same time and requires no scope). Lidar is deadly as no radar can help you. If your radar alerts lidar, you got a ticket. Only a lidar jammer (laser interceptor) can help you. A radar will detect a leo who turned his radar gun on normally 1 mile away with my V1. Radar guns normally need 1/4 mile distance to clock you.
If he followed you 3 cars length, the leo would have clocked both cars at the same time and give chase to who ever he chose. If the rabbit stayed back 1/2 mile from you, that leo would only clock you and not him.
I normally go 10 above limit on highway and limit in city. If the highway is open (I can see 1/2 mile ahead) than I'll go +20. Anyone following me is welcome to use me as a shield but can't be 3 car lenght behind me. I'll either floor it +100mph or slam by brakes and go limit to piss the follower off. If I see a car going +20, I'm useing him as a rabbit. There is no partnership on the road. Its get a ticket or bait someone for a ticket.
My counter measures:
V1 hard wire with conceal display
Laser Interceptor Quad. 2 front, 2 rear heads
DVR system behind mirror.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
These things happen. Just like the people who think they "won" a race because you let off the gas due to there's no real challenge at hand. People are morons and there's no cure for it yet... but i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Speeders: If you won't lead, DON'T FOLLOW