Someone broke into our car

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:26 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Someone broke into our car

Well today my dad asked me if I wanted to go with him to pick up his car from service. He was really excited because they just covered something under warranty even though his car was at 54k. So we go and pick up his car and we are deciding on where to go eat. So we decide to try this new place. We get there and its awesome. The food is great and they gave us a free sample of ribs since it was our first time there.

Well we are about done with our meals and some waitress comes in and says does anyone here own a Navigator? So we said could you mean Aviator? And she goes maybe if its an SUV. So we go out and the back passenger window is smashed opened. Some witness says it was a gold Taurus. The manger and comes out and goes "yeah this is the 5th or 6th time this has happened."

So we look in the car. And what do they steal? My dads portfolio. My dad owns a pool company and it was basically his display of all the pools which for him took hours and hours to make yet for someone to steal would get no money what so ever for it. He uses it show people his work and options they have and of course what do you know he had an appointment at 9 in the morning. I admit I was freaking out and was so pissed while my dad like seemed fine. Pretty much summing up what he said was "shit happens and you cant let it get you down." Not word for word but summed up.

So anyway we had to drive to the airport like this to pick up my sister since we didn’t have time to go home and switch cars. On the way looking for it since my dad said they would probably dump it since it has no street value. So driving without a window was annoying but it didn’t rain so that was fine. So we get home and some calls in saying we have your suitcase. Basically the guy found it under his truck at a private club. So we go and get it and my dad put 50 bucks on the guys tab (we wanted to thank him but he had left). It had everything in it.

The weird part is I was the one pissed off but my dad was clam and now that he found his portfolio he really doesn’t seem to be mad. He says as far as the car "If the damage is too high we have insurance for a reason." So basically they broke into a car for nothing. That part that annoyed me was they didn’t even give us a free dinner even though this apparently happens all the time there.

People need to respect other peoples property.

So cliff notes:

-Picked up my dads that just got a bunch of warranty work done even though it was over.
-We went out to dinner
-Someone broke into the car and stole something valuable to us but with no street value
-Had to drive around and then got home and we got a call
-Picked it up and gave the guy a tip for finding it.

Here are the pics

Shot with C960Z,D460Z

Shot with C960Z,D460Z
Old 07-21-2007, 02:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,768 Likes on 13,963 Posts
Oh fawk. And yeah, thieves suck.

At least your dad got back his case.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
thieves.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:20 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Be relieved and count your blessings. All they did was break the glass and caused you some hassle, insurance should cover the broken glass because its vandalism. Thieves got some balls though, breaking glass outside of a restaurant. Usually the last thing those assholes want is to make noise or call attention to themselves.

Me on the other hand, I drive a '95 Integra (sedan). Thieves know and love this car. Nothing was broken, no signs of forced entry, except the rubber seal where the driver's mirror and window meets was cracked. Thief probably cracked the window open with a screwdriver, reached in through the window with a coat hanger, and used the door unlock switch. They took my whole deck (99.99% of the time I remove the faceplate and lock it in glovebox or take it with me), opened the trunk and stole the speakers I hadn't installed yet, along with my 240 pc. Craftsman tool chest.

Luckily though, I had my laptop in my backpack and they left it untouched. I was lagging on installing LoJack on my laptop, but now....

I was pretty calm actually when they broke into my car too. You can't do anything about it once it happens, just learn how to prevent it next time. No use stressing yourself out about it, its not gonna change anything. I used to go home at night, then I would go back out and double check to make sure everything was locked, glovebox, trunk release, etc. I just don't let it bother me anymore. I was pretty pissed off later though after everything set in and I realized how much I lost.

Spend 15 minutes on Team Integra, in a regional part of the forum. I guarantee you'll find at least 4 "someone broken into my car/I don't even know where it is" threads within the first few pages.

Count your blessings. At least they didn't hold you at gunpoint and try to steal your car.... http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129262

^Really hits home, I don't live in Stockton but after reading that I would never want to.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:53 AM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Sucks and thieves should die.

On a side note, it appears that you keep many things in plain view back there. Leaving stuff in plain view is never a good idea as it temps those with thievery in mind. They saw your dad's bag and assumed it contained a Laptop, Cellphone, PDA and/or money and credit cards.
If you are going to leave things in your back seat, at least cover it up.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Good thing he got his stuff back, but yeah it sucks to go through all the hassle. And you dad has a few more years on you, patience comes with wisdom.

to the g35driver story!
Old 07-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That sucks. I'd be fawkin pissed, too.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
Sucks, they stole a nav from me in London.....Probably the same guys....
Old 07-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Sucks, they stole a nav from me in London.....Probably the same guys....

They must really get around
Old 07-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Instructor

when my cl got borken into a couple months back all they stole was a hat that was in the passanger seat. they bent the shifter snapped the latches on the center console and put a hole in the dash. insurance wouldnt cover it because it was considered vandalism because nothing was stolen... to this day theres still a crack in my dash covered by a piece of black electrical tape to keep it from getting any bigger.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Race Director

Yeah we were lucky that nobody was hurt I think thats why my dad was so clam about it. I also agree with they must have thought it was laptop or something but I think they had to have been looking because it was on the floor between seats and not really that noticeable at all. As far as the Navigation system goes when they said someone broke into your car thats what I was expecting to be gone. As far as that G35 wow that sucks and I do consider us lucky. Thankfully the case is back and all thats broken is the window and the trim.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
Holy shit...where in Charlotte was this?!
Old 07-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by cmschmie
Holy shit...where in Charlotte was this?!
I dont know if you know where the lincoln dealer is but its on south blvd. Anyway we wanted to try the resturant there called texas something? Its right near the exit to 485. It was right across from where HHgreg is and circut city. So granted not the best area of charlotte.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Instructor

That sucks... I was in Charlotte last week when I flew to CA. Excited about school next month? you can drop me a PM if you already have a schedule. I can tell you if those proffessors are good or not.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:07 AM
Racer

As noted before, never, ever leave anything out in plain view, especially portfolios/briefcases/bags. Do I have to mention electronic devices? Smash and grab is so common anymore, it appears that people are often impulse criminals. Case in point - dinner with some friends at a nice Thai place in a decent neighborhood. Buddy parked on the street (3 lane one-way road in the city with rowhomes a block away in every direction). Come out 1 hour later to find someone smashed the window in his Volvo to grab his iPod, which he almost always hides. Just that once though...

At least you got the stuff back - that's pretty rare. Dust it for prints?