Somebody just clicked "Buy it Now" on one of my eBay auctions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soo I had a litle bit of a worry today....I log into paypal and I don't see the deposit there. I open up the e-mail that says "you got cash" saying I received the $500 deposit but I didn't see anything in Paypal. Scrolling through the e-mail, I see it saying something like his e-mail address isn't verified, but it's asking me to click a link to enter my username and password to confirm my e-mail address. I'm like WTF?!?
don't ever click on paypal links in an e-mail that's sent to you. most likely it's a fake website that's used to phish your account/password. that's as much as I got out of reading this.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
Anywho, I start looking into the dude's info based on his name/address and e-mail address. A website comes up showing the same address he entered when setting up the paypal account. I call the number on the site and go through a voicemail system. He calls himself "Al" on the voicemail, that's his way of Americanizing "Abdalla". Left a message at about 11am this morning (to Ohio), he called me about 5pm today. He gave me his cell#, asked me a few questions about the condition of the car, asked me if I was a dealer and can issue a temp on it so he could drive it if he wanted to pick it up (I can), and also asked how much I think it would be to ship it if he didn't want to pick it up. He also asked me how to pay the balance, I told him either a wire or a bank check. He said he will either overnight the check to me or drop it off to me if he comes to pick up the car.

So what do you think?
I wouldn't let the part in bold happen. Have him wire it to you or overnight it to you and you call him to let him know the check or wire transfer has hit your account. I wouldn't under any circumstances release the car until my bank said the money was there.

He could show up with a 100% legitimate looking bank check but the check could still be phoney. If the money isn't in your account don't give up the car.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Just curious, did the paypal email address you by your first and last name or just you email addy as you posted? Pretty sure PP always uses your name

quick link on spoof emails
http://www.aboutpaypal.org/how_to_sp...e_paypal_email
They addressed me by my e-mail address. Paypal also told me that I am to be greeted by them with my first and last name, not e-mail address. I sent it to them as per their instructions to "Spoof@paypal.com" for them to investigate it, and I think this was a response I got from them today on it:

Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:15 PM
To: Eddie [edit] (my full name)
Subject: We are unable to process your service request - MAR (KMM152763585I96L0KM) :ppk1

Hello Eddie [edit] (my full name)

We want to help you but we're not able to respond directly to emails
sent to this address.

If you have a question about your account, please contact us through our
website. Here's how:

1. Go to the PayPal website and log in to your account.
2. Click "Contact Us" at the bottom of any page.
3. Click "Contact Customer Service," and ask your question.

One of our Customer Service agents will reply to your question.

We value your business and want to provide you with the best customer
care.

Thanks,

PayPal

This email is sent to you by the contracting entity to your User
Agreement, either PayPal Inc, PayPal Pte. Ltd or PayPal (Europe) S.à
r.l. & Cie, S.C.A. Société en Commandite par Actions, Registered Office:
5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg RCS Luxembourg B 118
Old 12-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
This whole thread is what makes me leery of selling something as valuable as a car on Ebay (though I did buy my Ford off of Ebay). Just seems like a big headache...
Old 12-31-2009, 06:24 PM
Instructor

In the first email you posted, it clearly said Abdalla's email address was a confirmed one. I think since you said the PayPal account you used is a new one, it took you logging in to both confirm it, and for the 500.00 (minus their pound of flesh) to show up.
But I think the guy is legit, you have enough of his info now that if anything went wrong, you could track him down.
I have bought and sold vehicles on eBay and had great luck, never run into a scam but I do know they are out there. My "7-Up" limited edition 5.0L convt sold to a zero feedback buyer in MA and it was about the smoothest deal I've ever done. He paid me, he sent a truck for it, he left glowing feedback, all was great. More recently, when I bought my Suburban, I looked at a BUNCH of them both locally and online, and ended up buying off eBay. The truck was a couple states away but the seller actually brought it to me using his own trailer. I was super picky about certain specific equipment I wanted it to have, such as the "double lumbar" power seats, factory fender flares, body color handles and bumper trim, etc. and even though there are a million of em out there, finding my perfect combo was pretty tough. It ended up a perfect transaction, and the best part was, by being able to buy from way out in the country, I saved thousands over what they were going for around here. The interwebz are a wonderful thing
Old 12-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Instructor

Oh and PS - I just want to say "good job" regarding your 75.00 doc fee. It's nice to see that, when so many eBay dealers seem to have turned to their doc fee for all their profit. I am interested in an 07-09 Sienna now and have been watching them on eBay....one I really liked the other day would never get my business due to a 599.00 (!!) doc fee. Shyt when I bought my RL from the Lexus dealer down the street, even they only charged me 95.00.......anything over 100 bucks or so and it's pretty clear they are just padding their bottom line........
Old 12-31-2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MiataNut
Oh and PS - I just want to say "good job" regarding your 75.00 doc fee. It's nice to see that, when so many eBay dealers seem to have turned to their doc fee for all their profit. I am interested in an 07-09 Sienna now and have been watching them on eBay....one I really liked the other day would never get my business due to a 599.00 (!!) doc fee. Shyt when I bought my RL from the Lexus dealer down the street, even they only charged me 95.00.......anything over 100 bucks or so and it's pretty clear they are just padding their bottom line........
I'm honestly against ridiculous document fees. I'm also in the new car business and depending on where I'm getting my cars from when out of state, their doc fee's can be as much as $149 to as much as $399 for what I've seen. Heck, in FL the dealer charges a $550 "dealer fee" which is all fluff.

Part of the reason why mine is $75, it's because in NY state it is against the law for a dealer to charge more than $75 for document processing. I can't really say it's pure profit, it really does go towards paying for stuff. Some of the articles of DMV related stuff are things I have to pay for, not to mention the service that I use to register the cars, I have to pay them too, including overnights..
Old 12-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Punk Rocker

Like Miatanut said, anything under $100 is understandable. Anything over is just a ripoff (in terms of doc fees)...
Old 01-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Part of the reason why mine is $75, it's because in NY state it is against the law for a dealer to charge more than $75 for document processing. I can't really say it's pure profit, it really does go towards paying for stuff. Some of the articles of DMV related stuff are things I have to pay for, not to mention the service that I use to register the cars, I have to pay them too, including overnights..
Oh I know, there are actual costs involved.....Overnighting stuff can get real expensive, I know. Your 75.00 I would never suggest is just profit, but when I see 349.00 or 550.00 or whatever on eBay, it's an instant turnoff, kinda like hey if they are that greedy and so obvious about it, they are probly greedy in more hidden ways too.....
Old 01-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Just an update, The guy says he is overnighting a bank/cashier's check to me tomorrow to get on Tuesday. I will deposit it ASAP to insure that it clears. I'll also be calling a transporter schedule a pickup of the car, probably towards the end of the week.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Careful man, I once sold some stupid LED belt thing and some dude sent me $2,000.00 in legit looking Money Orders. I Googled any cases and turns out there is a scam where if you bank them it will freeze your account and the original sender can access it. Someone lost $15,000.00 like that. So yeah eBay is scammer filled specially those pricks who ask you to send to Nigera and what not lol. Make sure whatever he sends isn't fake.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Punk Rocker

Just an update, The guy says he is overnighting a bank/cashier's check to me tomorrow to get on Tuesday. I will deposit it ASAP to insure that it clears. I'll also be calling a transporter schedule a pickup of the car, probably towards the end of the week.
I got a $6000 cashier's check a few years ago from some guy and deposited it in my account. After a few days it "cleared" and I withdrew the cash. A couple weeks later my bank calls and says that the check was a fake and that my balance was -$5000 or so. I was like "Wtf, you guys said it cleared!!!" but they made me deposit the money back into the account so I ended up with nothing (actually I bought some stuff with it and was out that money as well).

I would recommend getting it cashed at whatever bank its from or at least calling that bank and verifying authenticity first....
Old 01-05-2010, 08:55 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I got a $6000 cashier's check a few years ago from some guy and deposited it in my account. After a few days it "cleared" and I withdrew the cash. A couple weeks later my bank calls and says that the check was a fake and that my balance was -$5000 or so. I was like "Wtf, you guys said it cleared!!!" but they made me deposit the money back into the account so I ended up with nothing (actually I bought some stuff with it and was out that money as well).

I would recommend getting it cashed at whatever bank its from or at least calling that bank and verifying authenticity first....
Man that sucks....sorry for your troubles.

I used to sell cars to out of state people all the time that brought cashiers checks - I'm so glad this never happened to me.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shoofin,

How's the closing coming along ?