So I test drove the TL-S yesterday morning...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 01:56 PM
hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I test drove the TL-S yesterday morning...

In order to confirm or dispute any and all rumors, I spent my Saturday morning with the TL-S. Strangely enough, I'm testing this car at exactly the same time (March), same temp range and almost (within 7 miles) the exact mileage of the CL-S I drove last year. I state that last fact as a qualifier that break in has nothing to do with any discrepency in performance. And to make matters even more equal and unbiased, I tested the TL-S on the exact same stretch of road in the exact same manner in which I drove the CL-S, like I stole it.

1. Steering: Who's more qualified to make an assesment of steering feel than an 11 month owner of a CL-S. No one, except maybe a 12 month owner. If there is a difference, it's NEGLIGABLE! I'm not feeling it folks. Next.

2. Handling: A tiny, and I mean TINY bit more stable the CL-S. It's very difficult to gauge handling versus my car because I'm on 18K mile old rubber that's begging for replacment. I'm going to say that new to new, there is no difference.

3. Performance: If the CL-S felt like this, I would not have bought it. Stock to stock, there is NO WAY a TL-S will ever take down a CL-S. Remember, the two test drives consisted of cars that had 72 and 79 miles on the clock. I could not even light up the tires in first in the TL-S like I did the CL-S one year ago. The feeling of acceleration in the TL-S is reserved when compared to the CL-S. No barking, no lurching, nothing. It is my belief that this smoothness has been engineered into the car for the typical TL-S buyer.

Bottom line
I will not be rushing to the dealer to trade in my CL even though I love the Aegean Blue. I was not taken by this car's performance at all. On the other hand, my wife needs a new car, but refuses a test drive now to avoid obsessing over it until she can get one. If she likes it, we'll pay cash for it come July.

Final Notes
The wheels really are 6.5" vs. 7" on the CL-S. I'm an EXTREMELY anal mofo and even measured them myself. The dumbasses at my dealer where saying they were 7" because they were measuring the tire. The fucking TIRE! The mirrors make left-handers a bit easier visibilty wise, but are still awkward in their placement. With that said, I'd still prefer these mirrors over mine for safety reasons.

------------------
a study in pimp daddy gold
Old 03-18-2001, 02:07 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the critique.

I too love that blue color & the anthracite color... but I'll wait for them on the '02 CL-S

About those mirrors... how are they wind noise wise???

Almost all the noise in the CL's cabin on the highway is just the noise from those damn mirrors.

I would hope we could swap those.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 03-18-2001, 02:27 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I test drove the TLS too.... In fact, my friend who bought the 1st TLS in Houston, he drive the test car and I drove my CL-P (with CAI and Pulleys). Well here is what I think....

TLS is NOT as fast as a CLS, it's more like between a CLS and CLP (not as fast as CLS, but not slower than CLP, remember we are talking about marginable performance).

Anyway, the first run, he drove the TLS, I drove the CLS.... We both line up at the light, when the lights goes green, we both floor it with VSA OFF. Both chirp the tires badly, once both cars got the trip, CLS just pull harder, and a little faster (about 3/4 car length). We test 5 times with switching drivers, same thing happened

Second run, he drove the TLS, I drove my own CLP. Same thing, light goes green, step on gas, VSA and TCS off... But this time, since not as much power on CLP, so CLP gripped while TLS still peeling, and CLP started pulling.... By 2nd gear, TLS pulled from behind, and TLS was ahead for like 1/4 to 1/2 car length, really not too much. At one test, we were dead even.... I was like WOW! We test this 7 times with switching drivers

Handling, TLS and CLS are about the same, not too much different, but TLS seems a little more stable. Both are new cars, both are taking the same corners, the CLS seems to have a little more bodyroll than TLS, but we are not talking like a Minivan type of bodyroll, just little different.

Well, over all, TLS is a great car. BUT one thing, this is my friend always concern about. Will this car catch attention? Well, to Acura owners, YES! We make such a big deal about "Whao, TLS, I drove it, Yah!" Well, think about it this way, when you drive this car to the mall and parked in between some BMWs or in the middle between two Navagators, or try to park the car right infront of the grocery store and see how many people will actually check the TLS out? some, but not much, so what attention can it get?

PLUS, after all, it's a 4 door 3.2TL. People would think it's just another TL, cuz not that many people will pay attention to TypeS or not.. Thats why I alwyas say, although my car is a CLP, it's not as fast as a CLS, BUT, like I am going to race every second, and no matter what, it's a 2door, and it DOES catch more attentions than a 4door.... (but TLS is a NICE car)

------------------
Edward
99TL, 01 CLP with stuff.
Houston(Sugarland),TX
Old 03-18-2001, 02:55 PM