So I test drove the 6spd today

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002 | 06:27 PM
Safety Car

So I test drove the 6spd today

I was picking up my car from service work and since they forgot to look at one specific item, I had time to test drive the 6 spd.

Things I liked: rear lights, thats it

Things I did not like: Shifter, clutch feel, (stalled it a few times), shitty tires, ugly rims, still sits high. As soon as I sat down I noticed the rattle in the middle console because the arm rest was loose, WTF the car has 76 miles on it. And mirrors are too small.

Anyway, I was not too impressed, however chirping into 2nd and 3rd is fun. But after the drive, I did not feel the need to trade in.
Old 04-24-2002 | 07:12 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Re: So I test drove the 6spd today

Originally posted by BigPimp
I was picking up my car from service work and since they forgot to look at one specific item, I had time to test drive the 6 spd.

Things I did not like: Shifter, clutch feel, (stalled it a few times), shitty tires, ugly rims, still sits high. As soon as I sat down I noticed the rattle in the middle console because the arm rest was loose, WTF the car has 76 miles on it. And mirrors are too small.

Anyway, I was not too impressed, however chirping into 2nd and 3rd is fun. But after the drive, I did not feel the need to trade in.
Agree on the tires but mine has no rattles whatsoever. You do know that the armrest slides forward? Is that what felt loose?

About the mirrors... you sure you drove the 2003 CLS 6-speed? Most folks are complaining the mirrors are too BIG.

BTW, rims is rims... as long as they aren't chrome they're all pretty nice.
Old 04-24-2002 | 07:18 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I wasn't too impressed either. Steering torque steer, esp. on uneven pavement, took my SLUSH BOX over the same turf and it didn't behave as that 6MT LSD did........
Old 04-24-2002 | 07:25 PM
Advanced

I also test drove one recently. I liked the feel of the car. Very different from my S2000, but not bad.. just different. If you were stalling the car then I'd say that was driver error. With an engine that big it's a lot easier to start than a peaky engine like the S2000. I think the shifter works well and is smooth. I'm looking into one for a daily car. But my dealer says they can't find what I want... Anthracite, 6 Speed, Navi
Old 04-24-2002 | 07:31 PM
Team Owner

Yea…..I hate mine too. Car totally BLOWS !!!!

Shawn S
Old 04-24-2002 | 08:16 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Re: Re: So I test drove the 6spd today

Originally posted by Klamalama
You do know that the armrest slides forward? Is that what felt loose?
I really love this little feature. I can keep my arm/elbow down on the rest while I move through the gears. Fun!
Old 04-24-2002 | 08:20 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Stalled it?

Definately driver error.

The 6mt is easy as pie to drive. I drove the 6MT and the RSXS back to back and while the clutch points were totally different I didn't stall either one of them a single time.

Hmmmm. You should stick with auto.
Old 04-24-2002 | 09:12 PM
Instructor

The stick & clutch fell pretty good to me--you shouldn't be stalling it. That may not be very helpful, but you know I gotta chime in and say it doesn't suck.

Old 04-24-2002 | 10:10 PM
Advanced

I tested a red '03 last week at McDavid in Plano and I could not tell whether I liked it or not because the salesman would not let me revv above 4K and I guess that's where the fun begins with the MT. As for daily utility in North Dallas traffic, there is no contest: AT rules.
Old 04-24-2002 | 10:11 PM
Safety Car

Driver error, yes I would not disagree much, it was a bit tough to get used to the contact point especially on a hilly parking lot, but ok. However, I did not have this problem with the RSX-S.
Also, the fact that the salesperson got scared of my driving now that was funny. I felt I was entering a turn at a normal speed, he started saying loudly: "Oh slow down, slow down. I am getting nervous here." That was funny, reminded me a little of my girlfiend, but ok, maybe its my driving, whatever.

I guess my point about this car is that I dont get the big hoopla about it, especially I dont think its worth a pre-order, or running out and getting the first one out there on the first day that its out. It might be me, but the shifter just did not feel right, it could have been that particular car.

I did not get a chance to feel the car as my drive was only 5 minutes because the salesguy just was uneasy about it. The only time i got to wind it out a bit, he told me to slow down as there are cops there. And so I did, obviously there were no cops there.

I guess I might need another test drive to try to appreciate the beauty of the 6 spd, maybe another time. However, I just dont see the point of buying a vehicle that I dont like in stock form and will only like once I modify it. I am sorry, but to me this car is just not cheap enough to have to replace the tires, suspension and rims to make it nice. I would like a hot number right out of a showroom, thats where the 330i 5spd with 18s comes in.

Also, my bad experience with my current Type Slow (sunroof rattles, tranny, poor quality, etc) just left a bad taste in my mouth about buying another CLS, even if it is better and comes with a 6spd.
Old 04-25-2002 | 11:29 AM
Safety Car

come on you fockers, I right all that stuff and get no reply, whats up my brothas, this aint right. :rolf: Throw me a bone or something
Old 04-25-2002 | 11:32 AM
Team Owner

come on you fockers, I right all that stuff and get no reply
OK, here’s a reply.

It took you longer to type that then your test drive.
How can you come up with all those negative findings in 5-MINUTES of road time???

Shawn S
Old 04-25-2002 | 11:37 AM
Safety Car

Hey, I posted a positive, the chirping into second and third is lots of fun, but I guess my point was more directed towards trading in my Auto for the Manual. I did not seem compelled.

And all my other issues with the vehicle are not really related to how it drives, ie.. the height, tires, etc
Old 04-25-2002 | 11:55 AM
Banned

but I guess my point was more directed towards trading in my Auto for the Manual. I did not seem compelled.

definetely not worth the loss on trade and depreciation ....see how much the precious new 6 speed with navi is worth on trade in...probably no more than 26,000..
Old 04-25-2002 | 12:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Also, the fact that the salesperson got scared of my driving now that was funny.

If I got in a car with someone that can't get the car moving without stalling it and then they started driving like they were on a race track, I'd be scared too.
Old 04-25-2002 | 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: So I test drove the 6spd today

I will address your 4 complaints:

1) "Shifter, clutch feel, (stalled it a few times)"

I have always driven a manual trans. My last 4 cars were 5 speeds. The clutch and gearbox did take a week or so til I felt "at home" with it. I never stalled. Do you normally drive a stick?

2) "shitty tires"

Yes, the general concensus is that the stock's suck. They probably do compared to really good tires.

3) "As soon as I sat down I noticed the rattle in the middle console because the arm rest was loose"

I have no rattles with 2300 miles. From what I hear in this forum not everybody gets the rattles. When some do they are fairly predictible (sun roof, 3rd brake light , etc.....) and usually fixed.

4) "And mirrors are too small"

They are not. I see fine through mine. They made them smaller on the '03 to cut down on the noise when your windows are open (my opinion). I like that the entire mirror is body color.

So in conclusion, you either like the CL or not. You either like to shift or not. If you are a CL lover then the '03 is just more of a good thing.
Old 04-25-2002 | 12:32 PM
Duck Fuke!

have you price shopped a 330ci w/ 18s compared to a CL-S.........isnt that like 8-10k difference...........just wondering
Old 04-25-2002 | 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by jts1207
have you price shopped a 330ci w/ 18s compared to a CL-S.........isnt that like 8-10k difference...........just wondering
10k more, not much of a comparison then.
Old 04-25-2002 | 01:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

What he said was that he thought he'd rather buy a car already made sporty. Instead of having to add a bunch of stuff on. The 330si (with sport, and luxery package) is nicer in 20+ ways, and yes more expensive. The CLS is a pig compared to a 330 with the sport package.

Compare the Sport/Luxery package(s) on the 330I to our vehicle. But ya it's more $$

And now we are going to have someone tell me the CLS has just as many options and is nicer. uhh ya....

real wood, nicer more adjustable seats (BOTH SEATS), auto windows, auto roof, nicer remote,.... and it keeps going...

I can see why he's looking if he has more $$ to spend. I would too.
Old 04-25-2002 | 02:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by jts1207
Yes, I have priced one, which was 40k plus sticker price. After negotiating I think that car could be had for at least 39k. Thats 10k more than CLS. I dont agree with it, but I understand . There is a reason why the bimmer is 10k more and if I had that extra cash, I would've been willing to pay.
Old 04-25-2002 | 02:39 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by SiGGy
What he said was that he thought he'd rather buy a car already made sporty. Instead of having to add a bunch of stuff on. The 330si (with sport, and luxery package) is nicer in 20+ ways, and yes more expensive. The CLS is a pig compared to a 330 with the sport package.

Compare the Sport/Luxery package(s) on the 330I to our vehicle. But ya it's more $$

And now we are going to have someone tell me the CLS has just as many options and is nicer. uhh ya....

real wood, nicer more adjustable seats (BOTH SEATS), auto windows, auto roof, nicer remote,.... and it keeps going...

REAL WOOD????? Funny, a sales guy at Ardmore Acura said the same thing to me when I asked why the RL was SO expensive when it didn't even have a v8? He said with a serious look, well it has real wood.

Of all the points to argue, real wood is not one of them.
Old 04-25-2002 | 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

If you stalled the car I don't see how you could of slammed 2 and third and barked the tires.... Sounds like you don't know how to drive.... I am sure the salesman shit himself when you neutral bombed the car between 1st and second and chirped the tires... Keep to your AUTO.... I can't, I'll fall asleep, the car is too damn comfortable....
Old 04-25-2002 | 03:42 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Smitty
If you stalled the car I don't see how you could of slammed 2 and third and barked the tires.... Sounds like you don't know how to drive.... I am sure the salesman shit himself when you neutral bombed the car between 1st and second and chirped the tires... Keep to your AUTO.... I can't, I'll fall asleep, the car is too damn comfortable....

Awe take it easy on BigPimp. New car, new clutch just because you stall doesn't mean you can't chirp it.....
Old 04-25-2002 | 03:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Smitty
Come on genius, I got used to it eventually , I just stalled in the beginning.
Old 04-25-2002 | 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I stalled my car once....... once. It was 15 years ago. I was stoned and pulled up to a light and forgot to put my foot on the clutch. (true story)
Old 04-25-2002 | 03:48 PM
Grammar Police

Well I hate being a dick, but it's LUXURY LUXURY not LUXERY. Just figure, if you're praising a really expensive BMW and talking about how comfy/luxurious you need it to be, might as well spell it right.
Old 04-25-2002 | 03:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Kkranghkar

Well I hate being a dick, but it's LUXURY LUXURY not LUXERY. Just figure, if you're praising a really expensive BMW and talking about how comfy/luxurious you need it to be, might as well spell it right.
Sorry I'm not perfect as you. YES I AM HUMAN I MAKE MISTAKES. I guess you've never made any? I know I spelled it wrong... thanks for pointing that out. I'd be nice if you only corrected my spelling. Hence you had to be an ass.

nice frigen argument.

But yes, I don't need to say it. YOU DID!
Old 04-25-2002 | 03:58 PM
Grammar Police

Sorry I'm not perfect as you. YES I AM HUMAN I MAKE MISTAKES. I guess you've never made any? I know I spelled it wrong... thanks for pointing that out. I'd be nice if you only corrected my spelling. Hence you had to be an ass.

nice frigen argument.

But yes, I don't need to say it. YOU DID!
Haha, sorry but I just had a beef with you because you're always way over excited to prove that any BMW is better than any Acura, and that might even be true, but you jump on people and (this is the main annoyance) spout numbers that don't match up (like comparing MSRP to MSRP + Tax, etc.).

I guess now we're even, I've annoyed you!

Old 04-25-2002 | 04:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: So I test drove the 6spd today

Originally posted by 6speed

3) "As soon as I sat down I noticed the rattle in the middle console because the arm rest was loose"

I have no rattles with 2300 miles. From what I hear in this forum not everybody gets the rattles. When some do they are fairly predictible (sun roof, 3rd brake light , etc.....) and usually fixed.

Seems mainly the cars that are in both cold/warm climates get the worst rattles. Must be from the plastic/rubber contracting/expanding during the seasons?

I noticed my CLS rattles a ton more when it's below 32F, 32-60F it's a bit temperamental, but then when it's above 60F it's rattle free! go figure, guess I should move to FLorida or Souther Cali
Old 04-25-2002 | 04:05 PM
10th Gear

OK you guys, you need to lighten up on everyone who admits that they stalled the 6 speed. You're turning this into some macho rite of passage or something. I've driven a wide variety of manual transmissions for probably longer than most of you have been around and they're all different and take a bit of time to get used to. Some have rubbery shifters and you can't find the right gear (so you shift from 1st to 4th and feel light an idiot), some take about 100 lb. of pressure to release the pressure plate and are nothing but a hassle to drive. The S 6MT is a great transmission. Really nice short throws. However, it engages farther out than most people like and it engages quickly. It's not a problem to get used to but it takes a little while to get it down smoothly. Give 'em a break!
Old 04-25-2002 | 04:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Kkranghkar

Haha, sorry but I just had a beef with you because you're always way over excited to prove that any BMW is better than any Acura, and that might even be true, but you jump on people and (this is the main annoyance) spout numbers that don't match up (like comparing MSRP to MSRP + Tax, etc.).

I guess now we're even, I've annoyed you!

LMAO

fair deal

Actually we did show that a few people have bought comparable 330's for 37k+tax (but those where deals on the 330, and no I didn't compare MSRP to MSRP+tax , I paid 34K for my CLS+tax, I included tax in both and compared to what another person on here paid with tax too) don't go there. Your taking numbers from one post and using them with another post. Go back and read all of it. But it's all useless anyway, because I can't get the deal they did where I live Thats where the numbers differed. Not in me making them up or mis comparing things.
Old 04-25-2002 | 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Re: So I test drove the 6spd today

Seems mainly the cars that are in both cold/warm climates get the worst rattles. Must be from the plastic/rubber contracting/expanding during the seasons?

I noticed my CLS rattles a ton more when it's below 32F, 32-60F it's a bit temperamental, but then when it's above 60F it's rattle free! go figure, guess I should move to FLorida or Souther Cali
Good news for me. It never gets below 40 here.
Old 04-25-2002 | 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

OK you guys, you need to lighten up on everyone who admits that they stalled the 6 speed. You're turning this into some macho rite of passage or something.

oh now come on OLDFART, no one is bashing or turning their nose up at one another, a little fun never hurt anyone. I stalled my 1984 Volkswagon Rabbit --- 10 years ago when I first started to learn how to drive. I know people have different reasons for driving an auto or manual, but don't beat up on the manual just because the person doesn't know how to drive it.... Either you like the manual or you don't... I am just stating that I will fall asleep in the AUTO because it is too comfortable and boring for me.. I never meant to lash out at anyone for stalling the car... I feel if you can't drive it, then park it and get the hell out of my way.:P :P :P
Old 04-25-2002 | 06:46 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

I admit it...

Originally posted by oldfart
OK you guys, you need to lighten up on everyone who admits that they stalled the 6 speed.

I didn't stall it in 2 test drives but I was chirping the tires plenty.

I did stall it as I was leaving the dealership right after I bought it. I've stalled it twice since.

Mea culpa