So I have a new G37X 7-speed Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
So I have a new G37X 7-speed Loaner

My Vette is in for service at the Infiniti dealer (I know, sounds crazy) and I got a new G37X 7-speed loaner with 600 or so miles on the clock. Initial impressions are that there is a HUGE improvement engine/tranny wise vs. the old G35 with the 5 speed auto. This thing is now REALLY quick (I would say on par with a 335i auto). Throttle response in instantaneous and the 7-speed auto works very well with nice rev match downshifts and pretty quick upshifts. Would definitely smoke the 3rd gen TL in driveway, BUT would definitely get SMOKED by my Vette . I could see someone who doesnt drive a Vette to be much more impressed with the power than I am. Handling on the G37X is also very crisp with little front plow and good steering feel.

However, it does NOT feel that luxurious on the inside. The 3G TL feels much more upscale and it is no where NEAR as luxurious as my moms M35X. The interior is very blah in my opinion. Doesnt feel up to par of the 40K price tag. That's all for now....
Old 12-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Can you shoot some interior and exterior pictures for us?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by 2K2SilverTL-S
My Vette is in for service at the Infiniti dealer (I know, sounds crazy) and I got a new G37X 7-speed loaner with 600 or so miles on the clock. Initial impressions are that there is a HUGE improvement engine/tranny wise vs. the old G35 with the 5 speed auto. This thing is now REALLY quick (I would say on par with a 335i auto). Throttle response in instantaneous and the 7-speed auto works very well with nice rev match downshifts and pretty quick upshifts. Would definitely smoke the 3rd gen TL in driveway, BUT would definitely get SMOKED by my Vette . I could see someone who doesnt drive a Vette to be much more impressed with the power than I am. Handling on the G37X is also very crisp with little front plow and good steering feel.

However, it does NOT feel that luxurious on the inside. The 3G TL feels much more upscale and it is no where NEAR as luxurious as my moms M35X. The interior is very blah in my opinion. Doesnt feel up to par of the 40K price tag. That's all for now....
I agree with everything but the bolded statements. Of course you did state that that is your opinion. I actually like the look and feel of the cockpit in my G. If you ask me, a Corvette doesn't look like a 40K car in the inside BUT like other pure sports cars it is purpose built so I understand.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by knight rider
I agree with everything but the bolded statements. Of course you did state that that is your opinion. I actually like the look and feel of the cockpit in my G. If you ask me, a Corvette doesn't look like a 40K car in the inside BUT like other pure sports cars it is purpose built so I understand.
Like you said, "Purpose Built." I feel "just right" behind the wheel on my Vette and would rather be behind its wheel than the G's any day. The vette is everything I want it to be in a pure sports car with the comfortable sport seats, perfect sports car seating position, driver focused center stack, elapsed timer, and the heads-up display with G-meter in my face. With the G, I just expect a bit more interior wise comparing it to my TL as it's in the entry level luxury sports category (and that's what buyers expect). I love my mom's M35X because simply, its beautiful inside. I would just expect a closer gap between the G interior and the M interior. Just my opinion having a broad experience with both Acura's and Infiniti's.

Last edited by 2K2SilverTL-S; 12-29-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
Like you said, "Purpose Built." I feel "just right" behind the wheel on my Vette and would rather be behind its wheel than the G's any day. The vette is everything I want it to be in a pure sports car with the comfortable sport seats, perfect sports car seating position, driver focused center stack, elapsed timer, and the heads-up display with G-meter in my face. With the G, I just expect a bit more interior wise comparing it to my TL as it's in the entry level luxury sports category (and that's what buyers expect). I love my mom's M35X because simply, its beautiful inside. I would just expect a closer gap between the G interior and the M interior. Just my opinion having a broad experience with both Acura's and Infiniti's.
I was driving my friend's M35x this weekend, and yes it is nice, but I prefer a simpler cockpit. It's still very nice. I also like Acura's interiors, in my experience either one would do. No real overall preference there. Like your Vette, my G fits me just fine. I suppose at the end of the day that is all that matters.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by knight rider
I was driving my friend's M35x this weekend, and yes it is nice, but I prefer a simpler cockpit. It's still very nice. I also like Acura's interiors, in my experience either one would do. No real overall preference there. Like your Vette, my G fits me just fine. I suppose at the end of the day that is all that matters.
That's all that matters...enjoy your G knight rider
Old 12-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I would say that I prefer the 3rd gen TL interior to my G's as well (though the G interior is plenty luxurious in my opinion). I'd defin itely take my G37 interior over the awful Vette's but the Chevy is much faster I admit...
Old 12-29-2009, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I would say that I prefer the 3rd gen TL interior to my G's as well (though the G interior is plenty luxurious in my opinion). I'd defin itely take my G37 interior over the awful Vette's but the Chevy is much faster I admit...
Not just faster...pretty much better in every way that's important to me (although you really cant compare the two). My girlfriend even got in the G and said I cant wait till you get the Vette back. The "female in the passenger seat" reaction is truly a wonderful measuring stick....

Last edited by 2K2SilverTL-S; 12-29-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Punk Rocker

My wife is quite partial to the sport seats in my G with the "extendable" thigh supports (if you know what I mean)....
Old 12-30-2009, 07:34 AM
2008 Acura TL Type-S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the whole reason I have a TL-S rather than a G37 in my garage right now. The wife and I just weren't impressed enough with the G's interior to choose it over the Acura. Just a matter of personal tast, though.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm still trying to understand why a Corvette is at an Infiniti dealer getting serviced...
Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
I was impressed with the power of the G37. The interior is kinda nice but the TL has it beat IMO.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Good review. The irony here is that my wife and I don't find the interior of our 09 MDX to be any nicer or more upscale in feel than the loaded 09 Nissan Murano SL AWD we test drove. So, strange disconnect here.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
That Nissan VQ37VHR is one bad V6. I tried out a 6-speed 370Z for a minute and that puppy rips compared to the 35HR in my 08 350Z. The new valve control system in those really bumps the low end torque and throttle reponse.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
is the G37 4 dr available in stick?
Old 12-30-2009, 02:02 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SG81
Old 12-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
^^^ nice
Old 12-30-2009, 02:23 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ nice
Normally I would agree, but when I bought a G, I liked the automatic better then the manual and I had an early 2nd gen G, a 07, the 7spd auto is allegedly even better. Definitely test drive both before you buy one over the other blindly.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard
this is the whole reason i have a tl-s rather than a g37 in my garage right now. The wife and i just weren't impressed enough with the g's interior to choose it over the acura. Just a matter of personal tast, though.
x2.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by F23A4
Good review. The irony here is that my wife and I don't find the interior of our 09 MDX to be any nicer or more upscale in feel than the loaded 09 Nissan Murano SL AWD we test drove. So, strange disconnect here.
The Murano has a very nice interior. But when driving the two, you can definitely tell the quality difference between the Acura and a Nissan or even Honda. The Acura's are quieter, more solid feeling and not sure how I can say it, but it feels like you are sitting in a love seat in the TL while you are sitting on a couch in the Murano or a Accord loaded.

That is the way we described it to people when we just test drove the loaded EX-L V6 w/Navi Accord vs the TL and compared to our Murano.

The Murano has some quality issues since this is our 2nd one, so we are going to ditch it. It looks great for build quality, but it has had issues from the CVT, to clunking on the floor boards when getting on the gas.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
The Murano has a very nice interior. But when driving the two, you can definitely tell the quality difference between the Acura and a Nissan or even Honda. The Acura's are quieter, more solid feeling and not sure how I can say it, but it feels like you are sitting in a love seat in the TL while you are sitting on a couch in the Murano or a Accord loaded.

That is the way we described it to people when we just test drove the loaded EX-L V6 w/Navi Accord vs the TL and compared to our Murano.

The Murano has some quality issues since this is our 2nd one, so we are going to ditch it. It looks great for build quality, but it has had issues from the CVT, to clunking on the floor boards when getting on the gas.
I can say without a doubt that the MDX we have is no quieter than a loaded SL AWD....both of which come short of the RX350. (As for the loveseat vs couch analogy, I guess that depends on whether the loveseat is from Ikea and the couch from Huffman Koos.)

We leased an 05 Murano for 39 months and never had either of the issues you've experienced. The only issue, we had was a throttle body that tanked @ 13k....that aside, it was trouble free. And ironically, that clunking on the floor board at WOT is a characteristic that my 07 AV6 had from day one.

While the MDX is a superior vehicle to our old 05 Mo, I cannot say the same in comparison to the new Murano. ...and honestly, both fall short of the RX350.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Safety Car

I can say without a doubt that the MDX we have is no quieter than a loaded SL AWD....both of which come short of the RX350. (As for the loveseat vs couch analogy, I guess that depends on whether the loveseat is from Ikea and the couch from Huffman Koos.)

We leased an 05 Murano for 39 months and never had either of the issues you've experienced. The only issue, we had was a throttle body that tanked @ 13k....that aside, it was trouble free. And ironically, that clunking on the floor board at WOT is a characteristic that my 07 AV6 had from day one.

While the MDX is a superior vehicle to our old 05 Mo, I cannot say the same in comparison to the new Murano. ...and honestly, both fall short of the RX350.
The Murano is quiet, I never said it wasn't. The only noise you hear from the car is the engine itself and with the CVT the engine gets a bit loud once you go over 3k rpms. Now the Accord we drove, it was obvious that it had much less sound insulation vs the Murano or the Acura's. I figured they would have done better on that car, but we were a bit depressed as the car was nice.

Well Nissan sent out the letter extending the warranty to 7 years 125k miles on the CVT transmissions in the 09 Muranos due to issues. So there are issues. Well this clunking isn't at WOT, it's at 1/4 throttle. Maybe the engine flexing and exhaust hitting something. Not sure.

But I agree, the RX is a nicer vehicle, but it is a good job for Nissan to get so close to a RX in build quality. Wished the Murano handled better though as I think it's ride is a bit too soft and it leans a bit too much in turns.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by iTimmy
Yes-- but drive before deciding.

I really disliked the constant vibration from the shifter (at every RPM, in gear or out) on the 4-door G37 I tested a few months back; I didn't try the auto trans.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Senior Moderator

The Murano is quiet, I never said it wasn't. The only noise you hear from the car is the engine itself and with the CVT the engine gets a bit loud once you go over 3k rpms. Now the Accord we drove, it was obvious that it had much less sound insulation vs the Murano or the Acura's. I figured they would have done better on that car, but we were a bit depressed as the car was nice.

Well Nissan sent out the letter extending the warranty to 7 years 125k miles on the CVT transmissions in the 09 Muranos due to issues. So there are issues. Well this clunking isn't at WOT, it's at 1/4 throttle. Maybe the engine flexing and exhaust hitting something. Not sure.

But I agree, the RX is a nicer vehicle, but it is a good job for Nissan to get so close to a RX in build quality. Wished the Murano handled better though as I think it's ride is a bit too soft and it leans a bit too much in turns.
No, I didn't say that you claimed the Murano was not quiet. Rather, that it's about on par with the MDX in our experience. Again, we've not had any bad experiences with our CVT (aside from it's performance sapping attributes) but we did receive the notice from Nissan after our Mo's return. to Nissan for not doing an Acura/Honda when it comes to tranny issues. (Then again, Nissan is good at giving ear to customer concerns on all levels.)

But , the 7G Accord has subpar sound insulation. Also, that clunk should not be at ANY throttle position.

As far as the Mo's handling, I'm only had experience with the S FWD (rental in Florida for about 1600 miles) and SL AWD (test drives); this IS an area where the MDX totally has it beat....despite that added heft. Unfortunately, I've not tried the LE model but I'm confident the MDX is still better in this area.

Back on topic, I personally do not find the 3G TL to have any more of an upscale feel than the 2G G. But, JMHO.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Punk Rocker

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Yes-- but drive before deciding.

I really disliked the constant vibration from the shifter (at every RPM, in gear or out) on the 4-door G37 I tested a few months back; I didn't try the auto trans.
My shifter vibrates like, well, like a vibrator! But I don't mind it...
Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 PM
Safety Car

I think the shifter on the 350z and G's are directly mounted to the transmission instead of cable driven like the Honda / Acura cars. This is why you feel the vibrations.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Not just faster...pretty much better in every way that's important to me (although you really cant compare the two). My girlfriend even got in the G and said I cant wait till you get the Vette back. The "female in the passenger seat" reaction is truly a wonderful measuring stick....
I too found the C6 night and day better in just about every aspect (especially interior room) than the G/Z (the later my friend has). Any one who thinks the Z is quick needs to go out and drive the vette with the LS under the hood.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I too found the C6 night and day better in just about every aspect (especially interior room) than the G/Z (the later my friend has). Any one who thinks the Z is quick needs to go out and drive the vette with the LS under the hood.
As a followup to that, anyone who thinks 0-60 mph in 4.6 seconds and a 1/4 mile of 13.1 sec @ 108 mph with an NA V6 worked by automatic tranny (in a 3,400 lb car) is not quick needs to have their head examined.

I love the C6 and respect its performance on each trim level. It handily outperforms the Z on all levels. However, with a starting price that's nearly $20,000 more than that of the Z, the C6 had better beat the Z.

But, maybe Nissan will grace us with a Nismo Z packing a 400hp+ VK56 motor. It would slot in nicely between the GT-R and 370Z.....and maybe even turn out better times than 4.6 sec 0-60mph runs & 13.1 sec 1/4 mile times.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Safety Car

I wouldn't say the C6 beats the Z on all levels, as I have seen Z's easily take them on road courses and autox without any issues. The Z I believe handles better.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Z51 FTW
Old 12-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
As a followup to that, anyone who thinks 0-60 mph in 4.6 seconds and a 1/4 mile of 13.1 sec @ 108 mph with an NA V6 worked by automatic tranny (in a 3,400 lb car) is not quick needs to have their head examined.

I love the C6 and respect its performance on each trim level. It handily outperforms the Z on all levels. However, with a starting price that's nearly $20,000 more than that of the Z, the C6 had better beat the Z.

But, maybe Nissan will grace us with a Nismo Z packing a 400hp+ VK56 motor. It would slot in nicely between the GT-R and 370Z.....and maybe even turn out better times than 4.6 sec 0-60mph runs & 13.1 sec 1/4 mile times.
Real world driving and not driving like you stole it to get those numbers is whats nice. If you havent you really need to experience a V8 and its smoothness and linearity. Something that isnt obtained from high strung motors.

And by 20k more it better beat it??? so by the same token should the Porsche GT2 beat the ZR1 (which it cant) because it is after all 80k more
I wouldn't say the C6 beats the Z on all levels, as I have seen Z's easily take them on road courses and autox without any issues. The Z I believe handles better.
As have i seen a CRX beat both. Its a drivers car and requires a better driver. Also many Auto-x courses that are smaller are going to favor less powered cars.

One should check out the latest Car and Driver and see the big test they had and where the 370 ended up (and what wall it ended up in and why

Last edited by fsttyms1; 12-30-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fsttyms1

And by 20k more it better beat it??? so by the same token should the Porsche GT2 beat the ZR1 (which it cant) because it is after all 80k more
Maybe I should have also added that the C6 should also beat the Z because it's a purpose built sports car, neither deriving nor sharing a chassis with any entry level luxury sedans nor crossover SUV.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Punk Rocker

At least with the 370Z you don't have to explain to your date why you can poke in the entire rear bumper with your finger....
Old 12-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Por Favor?

Z51 FTW
2010 Grand Touring FTMFW

I possibly might need to own one of those someday
Old 12-31-2009, 12:49 AM
Por Favor?

Z vs Vette is silly. They both compete in distinct price ranges for distinct buying audiences. Futhermore I'm doubtful GM could build a better car than Nissan does in the middleweight sports car class with the 370Z. They pretty much have all their eggs in one basket with the Corvette. Nissan has the GT-R as well for supercar performance.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
At least with the 370Z you don't have to explain to your date why you can poke in the entire rear bumper with your finger....
Old 12-31-2009, 07:52 AM
Safety Car

Maybe I should have also added that the C6 should also beat the Z because it's a purpose built sports car, neither deriving nor sharing a chassis with any entry level luxury sedans nor crossover SUV.
With a truck like suspension in the back? They have used the same suspension since the 1980s.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by alex2364
I'm still trying to understand why a Corvette is at an Infiniti dealer getting serviced...
+9813874856

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
Z vs Vette is silly. They both compete in distinct price ranges for distinct buying audiences. Futhermore I'm doubtful GM could build a better car than Nissan does in the middleweight sports car class with the 370Z. They pretty much have all their eggs in one basket with the Corvette. Nissan has the GT-R as well for supercar performance.
But then you have Z06 and ZR-1...
Old 12-31-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
2010 Grand Touring FTMFW

I possibly might need to own one of those someday
Update: I missed all the fun of this thread. Just came back from a trip to a small bed and breakfast with my girl in Western Mass and I had to drive through a big snow storm. The AWD G handled the inclement weather very well. Definitely a good all purpose vehicle.

The comparisons to the Vette are a little silly. My Vette with the Z51 package is an all out sports car, that despite it's leaf springs (which I love for having a stock ride height adjustable suspension stock!), can pull nearly 1.0G on the skidpad. That's very impressive for a sports car convertible. BTW, the Z51 package was replaced by the Grand Sport Vette in 2010 (but add a few other things like the Z06 panels, brakes, tires). It's a sweet ride for those that want Z06 looks features with a removable roof or vert top.

As far as the rear fiberglass comment---the Vette is about one thing power to weight. Its the true equation in a sports car which the Vette optimizes only weighing 3100 pounds and being so big and having > 400 hp. BTW, the only way a girl is going to realize the rear can dent in with pressure is if your doing the naughty back there--because a red Vette convertible will get you girls and will get there pants wet
Old 12-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Indeed. You definitely started a small storm here. Good to see that you recognize where the G37X shines.

Quick Reply: So I have a new G37X 7-speed Loaner