seat discomfort CL vs BMW & Audi

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 10:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seat discomfort CL vs BMW & Audi

Does anyone else who has a CL get the feeling they are sitting on half a seat. My 01 CL-P has a very short and small seat bottom and it feels like only the top half of my thigh is supported. The lower half of my thigh down to my knees are not supported at all. It's like I'm sitting on a bench more than in a seat. Very uncomfy.
Also the back of the seat bolsters are way to tight and squeeze my torso. I am 5'9" and weigh 155 lbs.

I think the type of people who like CL seats are the same types who install subwoofers and coilovers thinking the image is cool but I know function is definately degraded.

Acura could take a lesson from the bmw 5 series seats, the 3 series sport seats, and the audi A6 which are more supportive and have plenty of room.

I love the acura drive train and suspension; that part of the car can't be beat but the seats are a real pain.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:12 PM
Darth Tator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my friend owns a 3 series and when he sit in my car he always comments on how comfortable the seats are
Old 04-20-2002, 11:14 PM
Pro

I don't have any real complaints about the seats in the CL compared to the seats in the other cars I've driven my mom's volvo now the seats in that feel too short. I agree with you that the bolsters in the backput a little pressure on your back but I hardly notice it. The seats in my dad's Q45 are really comfortable but I think that each seat is fitted to its car I wouldn't want the seats from a Q in our car I'd be sliding all over them. Our seats fit with the car nicely IMO the bolsters may bother me from time to time but I'm glad they're there when I start to take turns a little harder and I think our seats are 100% better than the RSX seats most of the side to side restraint comes wings by the shoulders and my shoulders are too broad for them that is really uncomfortable. BTW for comparison I'm 5'11" ~180 lbs.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:20 PM
Safety Car

Re: seat discomfort CL vs BMW & Audi

Ya, check it out buddy. I think you may have it mixed up, because it would seem to me ( I'm 6'3" ) that the seats are one area that Acura had it perfect with the CL. Especially compared to Bimmer's...:thumbsdn:
Old 04-20-2002, 11:36 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

what are you smoking... the Acura seats are 1000x better than 3-series seats. Have you ever actually sat in one? We own a 3, and the seats are stiff as a board. Supportive, yes, but comfortable? not really. Id take Acura seats over bimmer seats anyday.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:16 AM
Race Director

at 6'3" with long legs it was basically one of the only coupes I felt comfortable sitting in.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:22 AM
Banned

Also if they made the bottoms too much longer, shorter people would have a hard time with it. I have no problems with my seats even on an 8 hour drive.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mdaniel
Also if they made the bottoms too much longer, shorter people would have a hard time with it. I have no problems with my seats even on an 8 hour drive.
Yeah I agree.....even with my 1st gen it is really comfy! Been on really really long drives...nonstop and my legs and body were very comfortable. Nice to sleep on too
Old 04-21-2002, 12:35 AM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by mhpellerin
I think the type of people who like CL seats are the same types who install subwoofers and coilovers thinking the image is cool but I know function is definately degraded.

I love the acura drive train and suspension; that part of the car can't be beat but the seats are a real pain.
Dude, what's wrong with you? You can state your opinions but there is no need to ditch other ppl while you are at it.

Look, some of us just happen to like cleaner and quality sound so music can be heard the way it is meant to be heard. Installing a subwoofer has nothing to do with "image". You talk like the stock Bose system is the best thing on earth . I can understand you like your music dull and muddy but I (I'm sure there are many others) would prefer clean, clear and quality sound.

Same thing with coilovers, the stock suspension is good for some but it still feels too soft (even the Type S) for many others. Those ppl just prefer to have better handling and what is it have to do with "image" ?

You are the first one on this board that actually said "love the acura drive train and suspension (on a CL-P)." From what I know and experienced, the drive train is failling left and right. It's actually on "national back order" . Come on, let's get real.

Peace.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:44 AM
Safety Car

Sorry mhpellerin, it doesn't seem like you are getting too much support on the issue... you really steped in the "dog shizt" for being such a newbie.. if I may speak so freely...
Old 04-21-2002, 01:26 AM
Powered By HONDA

i am about 5"10.and about 150 LBs...cls seats fit me perfectly....i have never sit in an audi cars before..but i have been into a E46 328CI (not sports seats..) and E39 540I..but i dislike 328ci seats..cause not support my back enough..nor comfortable enough...but 540i is pretty comfortable.....tls seats are very comfortable too...
Old 04-21-2002, 02:43 AM
Goldmember

seats are good but a little short

I drove 7 hours today and thought the seats were really nice. They really made it so your ass don't get tired and blood is not cut off. But I did think the seat could be 1 inch longer. My friend's BMW has the seat extenders that I think work pretty well. But I really like the supple bounce in our seats. Awesome seats overall.
Old 04-21-2002, 05:31 AM
D73
Curiosity Killed The CL-S

I've got the agree with most of the ppl here. The seats on the CL are just fantastic. They're just the right combination of being firm and yet supple. When I sit in the CL, I feel that the seats are just molding to my butt to keep it in place.

I've sat in BMW seats for the 318, M3, 540, M5 and 850, and I have to agree that most of the time, the seats are too hard, so they don't feel like they are wrapping around your butt comfortable.

There are, however, two things I don't like about the CL seats.
1. The sides don't offer enough support in a sharp turn. That's likely also because the CL does have quite a bit of body roll.
2. There are seat warmers but no seat COOLERS! Come on, my butt gets burnt on that black leather in summer!
Old 04-21-2002, 07:57 AM
Intermediate

cl seats

I guess I am in the minority here with my complaints about the seats. Specificly I would like:

The bottom section to be 1.5" longer and 1" wider also quit it with those odd shapes in the stiching.

The back bolsters to be less aggressive and don't go up so high.

The back of the passengers seat needs to be heated to keep them happy. Other cars with side airbags can heat the back of the seat why not acura.

Regarding the drivetrain. Some folks are having tranny problems but mine seems fine and it certainly feels strong and ultra smooth. I don't know of any cars that can really match that especially for the price.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:06 AM
Advanced

Man, how can you say that? EVERY time I get in the car I think to myself... damn, these seats are comfortable. I suppose everyone likes something a little different and everyone is shaped a little different but I have to disagree with you 100%.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:07 AM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

You haven't felt a stiff seat until you sat in an S4.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:28 AM
I Feel Too Old Here

being 6'2 and 169 my CL seats dont feel short at all. i love em infact. my dad has a 540i and i think those seats feel soo hard compared to the CL, JMO.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:28 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I believe the CL Type S has the most comfortable seats of all the Acura lines ! That's includes the NSX !

Nuff said !
Old 04-21-2002, 10:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes the cl-P seats are very mushy but the TypeS seats are very sporty and comfy.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:39 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by BNut
You haven't felt a stiff seat until you sat in an S4.
Agreed. My friend has a Audi A6 and the seats are the best I've ever felt...so firm and supportive.
Old 04-21-2002, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure they don't fit everyone perfectly, but they are great for me (6 ft., 186 lbs). I tend to get upper back fatigue from sitting in front of the computer all day, and it feels really good to sit in the CL-S seat--I like them a lot. And the lateral support fits me about perfect.

I test drove the 330ci, and the seats seemed very nice, but I don't have enough familiarity with them to compare fairly. Either way, I don't feel cheated on the CL-S seats.
Old 04-21-2002, 01:27 PM
War Eagle!!!

Originally posted by mhpellerin

I'll just sit quiet on this one, my sunday is going great, I'm not going to ruin it by flaming a post on someone who doesn't understand modifications to cars that actually have function...I mean I think I'm the coolest 'mid-20s white boy' on the block because my cl is almost an inch lowever, corners like a dream, and the interior has that perfect his/mids/lows in sound because of my sub...plus softball practice is in an hour and I have to be positive for that...
Old 04-22-2002, 10:09 PM
Banned

If you want something supportive...swap them out for Recaros or Corbeau racing seats....super comfortable and very supportive...

But i do like my CL-S seats...and I needed a subwoofer to create some depth in my music and coilovers are very close to a Bimmer ride, if not better...comfortable and tight.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:47 AM
Old timer

6'1" and I've never been in a more comfortable car seat. It's one thing I've always loved about my car. I drive around two hours every day at the minimum, Monday through Thursday and more on Friday/Saturday/Sunday.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:40 AM
Racer

comparing seat to 330i

My fiance got 2002 330i w/ sports package and I do not like sitting in her car. Whenever I get up from driving, I get a backache. The seats are not contour to your body like Type-S seats.

I love my Type-S leather....makes you wanna have sex...maybe not
Old 04-23-2002, 11:54 AM
DJF
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I love my Type-S seats. I just wish the car had a telescoping steering wheel like my wife's Passat. I have long legs and my right knee his the center dash area (ouch!) and I need to bring the seat back further, but then I have trouble reaching the wheel comfortably.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by DJF
I love my Type-S seats. I just wish the car had a telescoping steering wheel like my wife's Passat. I have long legs and my right knee his the center dash area (ouch!) and I need to bring the seat back further, but then I have trouble reaching the wheel comfortably.
Just grow longer arms...
Old 04-23-2002, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Mhpellerin,

I will agree with you buddy. I hate the seats in my CL-P. So bad that I will ditch her as soon as I can. The bad part for me is the back portion of the seat. The very bottom sticks out like lumbar. Not to mention the seam right there is very uncomfortable. I can see how different people with different proportions might not feel the same thing I do. The seats look awesome, but all the seams disagree with me. I also agree with the fact that many people on this board prefer form over function. That is generally the case with a younger generation. When you become an "old fogie" like me (32) you focus more on the function (not to say subs and coils have no function).

Lucan
Old 04-23-2002, 12:57 PM
JOE
Instructor

I agree with everyone else about the comfort level of the CLS seats. I personally think that the CLS has one of the most comfortable seats around.. Whenever I sat in my 3 series before I got rid of it I would always try to justify the stiffness by telling myself it feels sporty.. Yeah right, more like thin rock hard seats that have no contour to them whatsoever..
Old 04-23-2002, 01:16 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by lank5893
Mhpellerin,

I will agree with you buddy. I hate the seats in my CL-P.
Lucan
Are the seats in the CL-P really much different than the CL-S (aside from CL-S having perforated leather)
Old 04-23-2002, 01:30 PM
Instructor

If you can't fit your a$$ in the seat, it's time to loose few pounds
Old 04-23-2002, 01:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by hypno999
If you can't fit your a$$ in the seat, it's time to loose few pounds
Ouch that is harsh ... like something your doctor might tell you.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by nate'sCLS

Are the seats in the CL-P really much different than the CL-S (aside from CL-S having perforated leather)
For me, there is no difference. Seats in the CL-S have all the same seams and that lumbar on the very bottom of the back.

As far as losing a few lbs, hypno999, I weigh 165. The bigger you are the more padding you have and therefore you wouldn't have a problem with the seats.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:38 PM
D73
Curiosity Killed The CL-S

Don't know about you guys, but I'm 175 and all my padding fits the seat just fine!
Old 04-23-2002, 02:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drove a 2003 330I this past weekend (SORRY) and it blows the seats in our car away.

** I assume however these were not the standard 330I seats.

The bottom of the seat pulls out for further support on your lower legs by 3-5inches. You can actually put your head against the headrest while driving!! unlike the CLS where if you did that you'd be staring at the roof. The new 3 series is really close to a SL's seats. Lots of support. (not quite as comfy though as the SL's) Oh ya and the lumbar was great.

The CLS seats are not very good, and do NOT make you sit properly, you have to learn forward from the seat. Which is bad for your back, Not very good.

Now when you compare how soft and hard the two are.... hmm... I wasn't paying enough attention to notice. I definetly felt more support in the BMW though. I'll have to check next time my friend comes over, this was the drivers seat I was in too Had to take it for a test drive, pretty peppey. But the auto 330I didn't *feel* as fast as my CLS.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

7 series

Anyone else sat in the new 7series!!!

HOT DAMB!

I sat in a loaded 7 series at the chicago auto show. It was probably the best seat I have ever sat in. Next to the Mercedes SL500 I drove around for awhile.

I played with a ton of the seat controls. It rocked. But not something I would want in a sports car. Perfect for the 7 series!
Old 04-23-2002, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by SiGGy
The bottom of the seat pulls out for further support on your lower legs by 3-5inches. You can actually put your head against the headrest while driving!! unlike the CLS where if you did that you'd be staring at the roof.
The leg support is pretty good for me, especially since I like more leg freedom as a stick/clutch driver. I've had a car before that had adjustment up there, and I don't miss it.

As for the headrest, the lack of tilt bummed me out a bit shopping the car. Even my Legend Coupe's headrest tilt. I can live with it though, especially since the upper back support is good. I thankful it's not like my girlfriend's equally new S600 Volvo 1.5T seats. The headrest had my head pushed forward(!)--very fatiguing, especially for a guy prone to neck problems. I couldn't find any way to adjust that on the S60.

The 330ci seats felt good. I drove it before buying the CL, but I didn't have enough time with either at that point to have an opinion which felt better. They both worked for me.

The CLS seats are not very good, and do NOT make you sit properly, you have to learn forward from the seat. Which is bad for your back, Not very good.
I assume you mean "lean forward", but I don't follow you. I'm very finicky about proper seating, because I work at the computer too many hours a day and need good seating posture, otherwise I suffer badly with upper back and neck pain. With the CL I did a few seconds worth of ballpark adjustment when I first got in it and it felt so good I haven't touch it since. My kid, about my size, commented the first several times he rode in the car how good the passenger seat felt.

Anyway, the seats work for me, are more comfortable that in any other car I've owned, aren't horrible like those in my gf's Accord, and are way more comfortable than her new S60. They don't compare with aftermarket seats or those of higher-end sport-luxy cars, but I gotta disagree with the "not very good" part. Maybe I'm just lucky and and have the right size and build for 'em. If they hold up reasonably well I'll be a happy camper.

:-)
Old 04-23-2002, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Re: 7 series

I sat in a loaded 7 series at the chicago auto show. It was probably the best seat I have ever sat in. Next to the Mercedes SL500 I drove around for awhile.
Haven't sat in one of those, but the M5 seats at the auto show here felt pretty comfy. Or maybe it was just the overall ambience of the car--I thought I heard a choir sing when I hopped in and closed the door...
Old 04-23-2002, 10:13 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
My friend had 2 328's a 96 and the latest one before the 330
and the CL seats are way better, I like The TL seats better then CL though.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by codehead

but I gotta disagree with the "not very good" part. Maybe I'm just lucky and and have the right size and build for 'em. If they hold up reasonably well I'll be a happy camper.

:-)
Ya I should have written "not very good compared to the 330I I sat in" They are definetly the best seats of any car I have owned yet. My only complaint is I don't fully rest against the seat when I'm driving, shoulders up is not in contact with the seat.

I was wondering if build/size matters too, I think it does. I have heard a lot of different people discussing seats/comfort level before. Usually people with a bigger build like things different than a tall or short person... I bet no seat is ideal, but perfect for someone. Heh, I could park one of those 7 series seats on front of my TV

Quick Reply: seat discomfort CL vs BMW & Audi