SCCA Solo II

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCCA Solo II

Thinking about getting back into some Solo II. I did it a couple times a loooong time ago, but didn't really get a chance to do it very often... for a large number of reasons. Anyway things are different now and I'm thinking about giving it another shot. I'm looking for car recommendations, comments, etc, etc.

I don't really want to do it in the TL at all. I was thinking about maybe picking something up for $10k. I've considered getting spendy and getting an S2000 or MZ3, but I really don't want to go overboard b/c I've heard that if you somehow happen to wreck your car your insurance won't pick it up. Then there's always the possiblity that I wont get into it (yeah right, the few times I did do it I loved it).

RWD would be preferred, but I'm flexible if you can save me some coin. I remember the Miatas always cleaned up at these events, but I'm just not sure I can put one of those in my garage... if I have to I'll stomach it for the first year. If I go that route I could use some tips on which year/model. An old Z3 might be kind of cool, but not sure how they would run in their class. I've considered just renting a GT-H from Hertz whenever I want to go to an event XD.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Bmw E30 for 5k and spend the rest on upgrades.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:10 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
I attended a couple events last year. The most popular cars I saw were Miatas and WRX's. What about an older WRX, then mod it a bit. Probably save you at least a thousand dollars... Wont be very unique though.

Renting the GT-H is a good idea
Old 01-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
e30 or a miata... or old rx-7, or 80's mustang... or...

This could turn into a nice "cheap rwd" car thread

We need an economical RWD coupe back in the USA!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by S A CHO
Renting the GT-H is a good idea
It really is...

Instead of having to buy a car, insure it (or rent a trailer), for the 1/2 dozen times you're going to race, it's probably the best bang for the buck...

... and if you become a track junkie, you can always buy something later...
Old 01-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Put your ego aside and get the Miata. Find a 10th Annniversary Edition if you can because it was the first time the 6-speed was offered, which gave the car better gear spacing and allows you to keep the tiny motor revving.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Banned

Hahahahaha! I'm so renting!

FYI: GT-H = $195.57 after tax, including loss damage waiver.
FYI: 350Z = $164.35 after tax, including loss damage waiver.

I need to call the Solo II club here and get signed up.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Both s2k and M roadster are fun to drive on track and autox... Miata is real good too. I took my car to autox when it only have 2000 miles on the odometer.. =)

Old 01-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
If you are really serious about autocrossing, then rent a track prepared car from someone in SCCA, there are plenty available, come with trackside support and driving instruction, have cages, proper seat belts, the right tires etc.

Then you can also try different cars and see what is best for your needs

Sure you can take a rental street car, but why would you?
Its just a street car- unmodified, with the crap rental car tires and maitenance, plus you still have to change a few things to get it past tech inspection
Most batteries need a second bolt down to be safe

Go to scca.org and enter your zip code for local contact info

I am a long time scca member, driver and track volunteer
Old 01-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Miata!

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
... get the Miata. Find a 10th Annniversary Edition if you can because it was the first time the 6-speed was offered...

Inexpensive, fun, lots of mods and spare parts available if the rental route doesn't work. You can go from stock to really wild in the Miata, and just a few $$ for mild mods and good tires.
I used to run Solo II a lot; the only damage that occurred was when people forgot to tighten lug nuts and wheels popped off, so you likely won't incur much damage insurance won't cover.
You can also try renting the GT-H or Z and trading the rental with a Miata driver for a run to see how you like Miatas. Trading cars with other drivers to experience different cars was not uncommon.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:06 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
What is the Solo II class? Sorry, I'm not familiar with SCCA class requirements, etc. What do I need to do to get into this stuff?

I've seen Miatas clean up at my school's autox event though. Another car, if you had the time could be to pick up a Datsun 510.... and mod it to your heart's ( wallet's) content.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
If you are really serious about autocrossing, then rent a track prepared car from someone in SCCA, there are plenty available, come with trackside support and driving instruction, have cages, proper seat belts, the right tires etc.

Then you can also try different cars and see what is best for your needs

Sure you can take a rental street car, but why would you?
Its just a street car- unmodified, with the crap rental car tires and maitenance, plus you still have to change a few things to get it past tech inspection
Most batteries need a second bolt down to be safe

Go to scca.org and enter your zip code for local contact info

I am a long time scca member, driver and track volunteer
How much does it cost to rent a track prepared car?