Scariest moments

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scariest moments

Hi guys. I don't know if it was talked about before or not but want to talk about our scariest moment in a car, ever. It could be after avoiding an accident, or while being pulled over, or after an accident, or while seating on the passenger seat during a race.
Mine happened in 2000 on my way to Miami from Atlanta. I was pulled over at 107 in the Turnpike where the speed limit was 60MPH double zone fees. When Officer knew that I was going way faster and started slowing down when i saw him from 130mph. Was supposed to go to jail and the whole 9 yards but only got a ticket that coasted me $145
Old 09-26-2008, 05:47 AM
Slow Paper> No Paper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this will be moved to rambling! But I feel you bro.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:09 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by banelba
..... started slowing down when i saw him from 130mph. Was supposed to go to jail and the whole 9 yards but only got a ticket that coasted me $145
Hope you learned your lesson. That stunt should have "coasted" you jail time. You were lucky.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:01 AM
My baby's ride...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banelba
Hi guys. I don't know if it was talked about before or not but want to talk about our scariest moment in a car, ever. It could be after avoiding an accident, or while being pulled over, or after an accident, or while seating on the passenger seat during a race.
Mine happened in 2000 on my way to Miami from Atlanta. I was pulled over at 107 in the Turnpike where the speed limit was 60MPH double zone fees. When Officer knew that I was going way faster and started slowing down when i saw him from 130mph. Was supposed to go to jail and the whole 9 yards but only got a ticket that coasted me $145
That was very irresponsible of you and could have costed other peoples lives. Hopefully now that you're a little older, you became a little wiser.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
Telling people they're irresponsible for speeding is so hypocritical.

We've all gone over 100mph .. or in more cases 120mph.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:43 AM
My baby's ride...

^^ I guess you're proud to have gone over 120mph?

Good for you.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 AM
from d.c. to tennessee

I remember one time I was in my accord and I was driving on the interstate. I must have been fiddling with my radio or something because I looked up and traffic had come to a complete stop right in front of me from 70mph. I was in the left lane btw. I stomped on my brakes, they started screeching, both lanes were stopped, I had about a quarter second to get into the right lane and onto the emergency lane or I was going to hit a Tundra in front of me but there was a car screeching to a halt in the right hand lane almost right next to me. I think he came to a stop because I managed to squeeze between the car that was already stopped in the right lane and his car that was coming. There was just enough room to whip it through to the emergency lane, maybe even a little drifting involved. I made it at the last second. The truck that I was about to hit in the left hand lane pulled up next to me in the emergency lane and said, "I was sure that you were going to hit me, thats some nice driving!". I about pissed myself. Talk about an adrenaline rush. Btw, I hate blind hills on the interstate.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
high speed chase @ 16.

got spotted drag racing on a main strip. tried to outrun a paddy wagon in a side surburban neighborhood. all of a sudden there were two more cops on my tail about ~500 feet away. i was literally hitting my e-brake on turns and eventually out ran them with my near death antics. (it was an extremely hilly unlit backroad area). i have never driven as recklessly in a 5 minute span as i did that night.

flame all you want, i was 16. i would kick my own as for doing this, if i could...
Old 09-26-2008, 12:53 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
I just traded in my 04 Spec V for a 99 GS400 in January of 05 (it was about a week after) and I hit some slush on the freeway doing 70 mph. The car went sideways and I was headed for the wall. My body locked up I thought that was it. All of a sudden the lexus beeps and completely straightens itself out. Stability control saved my life that day...I'm so glad cars are getting smarter and smarter. I'm just glad I wasn't in the spec v..
Old 09-26-2008, 12:55 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Btw, I hate blind hills on the interstate.
They should think about that when they're constructing the interstate; at least in high traffic areas.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:09 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
my dad was driving and we were behind a car pulling a trailer full of 2x4. the trailer jackknifed and all these cars started smashing into each other, somehow my dad managed to find a gap and accelerated out of the mess
i learned that slamming on the brakes isnt always the smartest thing to do in certain situations
Old 09-26-2008, 01:17 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
-construction zone on a city street early in the morning
-my Accord is maybe 2-3 months old
-cruising at about 20-25mph
-pass a car on the right since he stops to make a left
-some old man from oncoming traffic hangs his left turn in front of me
-old man freezes up, hits the brakes and covers the whole intersection
-cat like instincts take over, I actually hit the gas instead of the brakes...
-swerve right, swerve left to avoid traffic signal post/corner and a freakin manhole!
-slow down, wipers are on, my gallon of water is all over my passenger footwell
-roll down my window to feel my door and I stick my head out expecting to see the worst...
-CAR IS FINE!

I'm not gonna lie... I was shitting bricks for a good five minutes after it happened

There have been other incidents where I narrowly avoided accidents but that one scared me the most.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
It should be noted that the headlights on my '00 Grand Am blew ass.

1. About 1am, driving through a national forest. Cruise set on 60, then off to the left I see a couple deer moving into the woods (so away from the road). As I turn my head back straight, another deer is coming out of the ditch to my right going to see his friends. He didn't make it. Didn't even have time to hit the brakes. Hit him at 60, minimal damage the car (bumper, "pinched" fender, and busted fog light).

2. About 11pm, bringing my girlfriend back to her school, heading down a hill (headlights pointed down), then up the immediate up hill there were two deer crossing the road (left to right). I steered, not swerved, the right. At the same time the deer back up. My driver's mirror smashed into one of the deer's heads and what was left of the mirror smacked my window and began dangling by the control cable.

Both times I nearly shit my pants
Old 09-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
probably rolling over an rsx on a mountain road. fortunately while turning whereas i went towards the mountain, and not down the mountain.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:55 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerT

idiot
Old 09-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts

Don't use universals when you don't know what you're talking about please.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts

I have yet to reach 100mph, so STFU
Old 09-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
My scariest moment: driving my old beat up Ford Taurus when I was in college. The brakes were rusty at best, but I slowed down for a red light in a 3 lane road. I was in the middle lane, cars to my left and right. A motorcycle ahead of me. Suddenly my brakes just gave, and I started to coast towards him. He panicks and starts to try moving his bike over as best as he could without going into the intersection.

My car finally came to a stop just a few feet before touching him.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:23 PM
I'M BACK!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
story 1

driving down a busy street
traffic is stopped and there is a gap for a driveway to a local shopping center. my lane had more than enough space to keep going and not block the driveway so i kept going

girl in a bmw pulls out thinking all traffic is stopped, stomp on brakes, pull the e-brake swerve out of the way into the next lane.

should seen her face tho..priceless..idiot..let it be know i was approcahing slowly, but she pulled out at the very ast minute

story 2 (not so lucky)

saturday night, wanted to party, friends and i decided to just go brad a bite and call it a night. cruising at about 40mpg (the speed limit) approach an intersection, tahoe making a left turn onto a small street (he was supposed to yiels to oncoming traffic), tries to make it at the very last minute, slam on the brakes, too late, BAM! straight into the side of the tahoe at 40pmh. tahoe ends up running into a pole, i end up like on the opposite side of the street, battery popped, smoke, battery acid fumes burning my eyes, doors are jammed and wont open,friend is cryin (she broke an arm and a rib) im bleeding and in pain (head hit the windshield, airbag hurt!!)

break my window, crawl out, fall to the floor next thing i know my dad is carrying me into his truck and i hear ambulances, cops, everything....dad was passing by and saw the whole thing happen.

bump onmy head, scar, messed up back..

the bright side, the party got shot up, 3 people were killed...i see the accident as a blessing...
Old 09-26-2008, 03:11 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
^ damn....who woulda thought that an accident like that would be a blessing? It was the airbags burning your eyes....nasty shit in them.

My worst was a near miss.

I was driving my 40,000lb tow truck on the highway in Boston one night at around midnight, this was back when they first opened the new eleventy billion dollar tunnel. The entrance to the tunnel was coming downhill off the bridge, and the cops always set up speed traps about 100 yards into the tunnel.

The speed limit is 45mph at this point, Im coming in at about 50 in the second lane on the jakebrake slowing it down before I even saw them. There was a small group of cars around me and the cop thats flagging people in is just giving this generic wave in...not actually pointing to the car that he wants to stop. So I give a little longer than normal glance over to make sure Im not the one hes motioning to.

I look back at the road and find the car in front of me completely stopped in confusion! I had about a half a second to react before plowing this car HARD. I knew there were cars on my left and was unsure about the right so I just yanked the wheel to the right thinking that it would be better to put someone in the wall than to run over the car in front of me. I just barely missed the car and luckily the other lane was clear.

Once I was clear my legs were shaking so hard that I couldnt even hit the accelerator for about 10 seconds. I just shut off the jake and coasted. Thankfully they realized it was a real bad spot to be doing that shortly afterwards
Old 09-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by charliemike
Don't use universals when you don't know what you're talking about please.
i would say at some point, MOST have exceeded 100. doesnt mean everyone. and it doesnt mean it is done multiple times.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Too much chrome

Ive never driven over 100mph, I let my stupid friends do that. Its just not worth the chance of getting pulled over.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
In high school I did some really stupid stuff, I drive like a granny now for the most part.

* Driving down San Felipe Rd back home at midnight, shooting a "car chase" for a shitty movie some friends and I were doing. You know the type, one of those two lane, super dark, roads with big trees along the side. We were going 75-80 and it was scary as hell.

* My friend had just installed the suspension on his EF hatch and we decided to go take a run on Calaveras (In Santa Clara I think, for the local guys). Its an amazing road to drive, but extremely narrow and hardly anyone drives it especially on the weekdays. We were blasting around and I was drifting around the corners in my old CL (on mine it was really easy to get the back end to step out). We both drifted around a blind corner and some dude in an Accord was doing the same thing going the opposite way. We both managed to miss each each other and we decided to call it a day and head home.

* Going to a Acurazine meet in Norcal going 100+ in a caravan down the 101.

* Filming a "rally" movie at my friends house out in the middle of nowhere. We had driven the road a bunch of times before with no problem, so they posted up at one corner and I was supposed to come by. For some reason I couldn't downshift into 3rd smoothly and by the time I did the corner was right on me. I took it going like 45 and the car plowed... straight into a fence. Luckily no one was hurt but I scraped up my bumper, popped a tire and tore a brake line.

So dumb
Old 09-26-2008, 04:41 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

I don't remember the details, I blacked out but I was on a road that was prepped to be paved the next day and going around a turn(it was a 55mph zone, I was not speeding) the car just completely lost it and flipped 2 or 3 times landing upside down leaning on a tree, flames dripping from the engine compartment into the cabin and only one door would open. Not so scary at the time because of adrenaline, but looking back and seeing pictures of the car it still scares the shit out of me, this is what it looked like afterwards, I still don't know how I more or less walked away from this.

No one figured out what caused it, I swear I wasn't speeding, the accident happened around 9PM on an August night and the road was freshly paved the next day before the sun was up so there were no existing pictures of the skid marks - I am thankful I don't remember most of it and that I wasn't hurt any worse. I've always believed in seat belts but I swear I'd be dead today if I hadn't been wearing one.

I've also had a lot of scary shit happen driving customer's but that would be another whole thread with all the scary stories...

Last edited by iTimmy; 09-26-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
i would say at some point, MOST have exceeded 100. doesnt mean everyone. and it doesnt mean it is done multiple times.
That's not what he said. He said "We've all gone over 100mph."

Doesn't matter. Guy's a hipster doofus anyway.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by iTimmy
No one figured out what caused it, I swear I wasn't speeding, the accident happened around 9PM on an August night and the road was freshly paved the next day before the sun was up so there were no existing pictures of the skid marks - I am thankful I don't remember most of it and that I wasn't hurt any worse. I've always believed in seat belts but I swear I'd be dead today if I hadn't been wearing one.

I've also had a lot of scary shit happen driving customer's but that would be another whole thread with all the scary stories...
Is that a Catera?
Old 09-26-2008, 05:54 PM
'06 NBP TL 5AT NAV

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Years ago at 16 or 17 years old... 1959 Volkswagen Beatle... out one evening with a couple of friends trying to lay down some rubber... got nothing in 1st gear so I tried it in reverse... revved the little 4 cylinder up, popped the clutch, laid a couple of feet down in the parking lot... and just missed the State Trooper cruising behind me...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

I sure was scared and had to spend a couple of hours in the barracks, but he let me go with a lesson learned.<o:p></o:p>
Old 09-26-2008, 06:11 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by charliemike
Is that a Catera?
It was a Catera
Old 09-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
My first "drive" on the London streets kinda sucked...
Old 09-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Drinking Beer In

1983 - Bombing down the Capitol Beltway (DC) at 4:00 am, late for work, pouring rain, light traffic. Must have been going 75+ in my Corolla.

Car started hydroplaning. Very gently the rear started coming around. I backed off and that's all she wrote - I spun probably 720...

I crossed my arms on the steering wheel and put my head down, certain that I was going into the jersey barrier (center divider).

The car stopped with no crash. I looked up. There was the barrier, 6 inches in front of my car...................

I didn't need any coffee that morning, but a change of boxers would have been nice!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Originally Posted by thermonmermon
i would say at some point, most have exceeded 100. Doesnt mean everyone. And it doesnt mean it is done multiple times.
x2
Old 09-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
The two scariest moments to ever happened to me were both during either this summer or past winter. This summer when I was driving the M5, I was on the phone and checking my navigation screen because I was lost in the middle of nowhere. It was raining hardcore and could barely see anything. I dropped my phone in the middle console next to the shifter, picked up and in a split second looked right back on the road, it was a redlight with traffic and I was probably driving 55 mph. I braked for my life and God, I still cannot believe to this day I stopped. Don't ever do two things at once in a car. Focus on driving. Somehow, two days later it was still raining, and I was on a on-ramp merging on I-270 and somehow the back end of the car stepped out throwing a good 50 degree sideways turn. I managed to countersteer and put the car back in it's original trajectory. The most scary moment however, was this winter when I was leaving for Montreal with the family in the A8. There was a snow storm, but it caught us in the way so we kept on going. When we arrived there, we were on this boulevard going down hill, and there was an old lady in her Civic stuck on the sidewalk. I switched lanes to come and help her and the car completely lost traction making me do a good 360 degrees at 60 km/h. I was scared for my life with my wife and kids in the car. Pulled the e-brake so hard, stomped on the brakes, the lady and her daughter jumped on the sidewalk when they saw us spinning towards them. Our car stopped about 30cm behind theirs. To this day, I'm thankful to God.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iTimmy
I don't remember the details, I blacked out but I was on a road that was prepped to be paved the next day and going around a turn(it was a 55mph zone, I was not speeding) the car just completely lost it and flipped 2 or 3 times landing upside down leaning on a tree, flames dripping from the engine compartment into the cabin and only one door would open. Not so scary at the time because of adrenaline, but looking back and seeing pictures of the car it still scares the shit out of me, this is what it looked like afterwards, I still don't know how I more or less walked away from this.

on a side note, how did you like the catera? that was caddys first attempt to spread their demographic. thought it was a great car for the buck.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Most memorable and sphincter-tightening moments:

Spinning out in turn 1 in my TL at Mid-America in the rain.

Spinning out in turn 9 in my friend's S2000 at Gingerman.

Not in a car, but high siding in turn 14 at Jennings GP on my GSX-R600.

These are moments permanently engraved in my memory... the thoughts of "ohhhh, shit, this is going to hurt."

In the case of the last wreck, I was already tumbling on the pavement before I even had a chance to think to myself "this is going to hurt."
Old 09-26-2008, 10:39 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Scariest moment was probably two summers ago doing 135+ down rt. 50 in traffic with some AZ folks on the way to a meet. Those CL drivers in the area are nuts. It was and still is the fastest I've driven, and I have no plans of doing it again so keep the idiot comments to yourself.

So far, I've been lucky. Nothing has jumped out at me or anything like that. I think I've had to slam on my brakes to avoid an accident just once. Never spun my car on the road either
Old 09-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
On the interstate at about noon when a dodge pickup in front of me without the tailgate hit a bump pretty hard causing one of those fairly large whiteish/clear barrels out the back up his truck onto the road. The barrel looked maybe 1/3 full of whatever was in it. I was plenty enough behind him if he ever slammed his brakes, but when the barrel came flying out, all I could think to do was swerve out of it's way right before I hit it. Thankfully I was in the far left lane and the highway there had a shoulder enough for about 2 lanes, so I had enough room to get out the way, and it was a clear sunny day so I didn't have to worry about hydroplaning. My legs were shaking so much afterwards. I know its nothing compared to some of the stories here, but it still scared the hell outta me.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Banned

Sophmore year in college, had a brand new suzuki gixxer 750, was tailgating a truck (stupid i know) and he had a bunch of household items in the back, well he didnt tie down his mattress well enough and low and behold it came flying out. Luckily it had enough "aerodynamics" if you will and i was able to duck under it, but the car behind me turned sideways and hit another car.
I didnt drive my bike after that episode for a few days.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TommySalami
Scariest moment was probably two summers ago doing 135+ down rt. 50 in traffic with some AZ folks on the way to a meet. Those CL drivers in the area are nuts. It was and still is the fastest I've driven, and I have no plans of doing it again so keep the idiot comments to yourself.

So far, I've been lucky. Nothing has jumped out at me or anything like that. I think I've had to slam on my brakes to avoid an accident just once. Never spun my car on the road either
you guys are insane, I did 100 for the first time a few days ago and I was panicky. Not just for the ticket if I got caught but also I'd be a corpse if I lost control.
Going that fast makes you think of weird stuff "did i tighten my lug nuts all the way?" hehe
Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hemhaw
1983 - Bombing down the Capitol Beltway (DC) at 4:00 am, late for work, pouring rain, light traffic. Must have been going 75+ in my Corolla.

Car started hydroplaning. Very gently the rear started coming around. I backed off and that's all she wrote - I spun probably 720...

I crossed my arms on the steering wheel and put my head down, certain that I was going into the jersey barrier (center divider).

The car stopped with no crash. I looked up. There was the barrier, 6 inches in front of my car...................

I didn't need any coffee that morning, but a change of boxers would have been nice!

LOL about the boxers. Crazy how you still remember the dates and whatnot.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by TommySalami

135 on Route 50 is so ... It makes me insane thinking about it ... Jeezus man.

Why is it that people think that road is a stretch of autobahn? I get passed by sport bikes doing way over 100mph on that road all the time in the summer.

Quick Reply: Scariest moments