Roadster/convertible rentals in CA

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadster/convertible rentals in CA

I am thinking of planning a Napa/Sonoma trip for next spring with my wife, and I would like to rent some kind of fun droptop for it. I was thinking 350Z conv, Boxster, S2000, SLK, Z3; something along those lines. No Mustangs, Sebrings, Miatas; basically, I don't want any car that will make me miss my TSX. A manual transmission would be ideal.

I found this company Specialty Rentals that rents some fun cars, but their prices seem a bit high for the models I like ($1200/week for the Boxster, $1000/week for the Z), plus mileage over 100/day. I also am 24, so they will tack on an additional fee for being under 25.

Does anyone know of any other good specialty car rental companies with a presence in the Bay area (we will be flying into San Fran) that I could look at?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 04:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I know that Budget and Hertz both have premium divisions. Budget rents some really interesting selections, including Ferraris and such, but the price is through the roof on them.

For the most part, the big car rental places will not rent performance oriented models because they get abused. You'll definitely be forced to go with a small place and just have to pay the fee. Best thing you can do though is to find a place that gives unlimited mileage over the course of the rental.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:39 PM
6MT Snob

I did some research on this awhile back, you are either going to pay out the ass, or rent a mustang / Sebring.

http://www.specialtyrentals.com/bnm/...sp?affid=21507 this place didnt have too horrible of rates
Old 08-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Advanced

As a Miata owner I have to defend my car first. You ever driven one? To lump it in with the Mustang and Sebring suggest no. Those are quite different than the Miata in many ways. First, knock 500 to 1,000 lbs off each car, then we'll talk. For a weekend romp, nothing beats a lightweight, nimble roadster. As for missing your TSX in it, it is only marginally slower 0-60, and will walk away from a TSX when the roads get not-so-straight. I suggest you try one someday and really put it through its paces. For under $20k new I defy you to find a more fun car.

Now, back to the original question... Yes, those luxo-rental places are expensive, I used one in the Boston area once, wasn't too bad. I ended up with a 325i convertible for a weekend trip to Maine. All said it was ~$300 for 3 days. Sadly many of the rental cars were slushboxes, I was happy this one was a 5-speed. If you are looking for a top down cruiser, and you don't want to pay $1000+ Mustang and Sebrings are your only choice. Hertz also rents XK-8's, though they are tough to find. Alamo(?) rents Eclipse convertibles, or at least they used to.

Re reading I see you are under 25...you might be SOL.

/bill
Old 08-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Pro

Looks like the trip will have to wait until May so I can be 25. The weather is probably less rainy then anyway. Of all the cars mentioned, the Miata is the only one I have actually driven extensively. I agree, they are a blast. I just wanted something a little more exotic, since this is a vacation. You know, something I can't afford to buy

The Boxster I can understand being a bit expensive to rent, but the Z convertible is what, $30k new? I don't know why it was $1k/week when a Lincoln LS or something, which costs even more, is so much cheaper to rent. I guess it's the wear and tear and insurance hassles that come with 'performance' vehicles.

I wish I could find someone that rented the S2k. It should be more like $800/week, and a blast to drive.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just read a short article a couple of days ago in the LA Times Travel Section (Sunday) that Hertz will open a luxury/exotic rental branches in California. I recall that Nob Hill in San Francisco was one of the locations. You might do a search on www.latimes.com or www.hertz.com. Have fun.