Results from the Chicago auto show

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Results from the Chicago auto show

My wife and I went to the auto show Tuesday night. It wasn't too crowded as the weather was horrible...plus it was a week night. Great time to go!
Here were my and my wifes impressions....it is interesting to see her take on cars

Acura RL--- holy shit that thing is ugly I don't know how that can be presented as a luxury car. There is an especially ugly pinkish-purple one with the new beak. It is literally a beak. Like a pelican. What were they thinking. they have old ones sitting there and they (although not much more impressive0 exude a lot more class. The Acura section was like a ghost town. The lady was talking about the RL to herself basically. She saw us pointing at various attributes of the car...nose, tails, cheap ass wheels...and had that "yup ... here we go again" look on her face.

What was interesting to me was the Jaguar Display. I love Jags. My wife....loathes them. We sat in the XJ( the revamped one) and she liked it somewhat better. At the very least she see's why i like it. I know the new bmpers are conterversial but it made it look much more agressive...cleanly.
What was interesting was how much she liked the new XF. I mean...she really REALLY liked it. That was here favorite car at the show. And, it is nice. It has a sexy shape and looks very substantial. The interior is gorgeous and the front end doesn't look weird like it does in the mags. Very impressive. It oozes luxury. This may be the wifeys car in a couple of years. I told her i would have to trade cars with her. The XK is just too beautiful. Love that car.

Another surprise is the Lincoln MKX. Of all the small utes including the RX, new EX, the baby landrover, X3, etc...It is the only one that looks cool. I mean the others look like a hodge podge of differrent angles and lines. Nothing cohesive. The EX is ugly. Very nice interior, but the outside looks like ass. The X3 still looks retarded. The RX is not much better. The Land Rover was a distand 2nd compared to th MKX.
The interior was pretty nice as well. The EX interior fit and finish was probably the best out of all of them...the materials were top rate as well. But they messed up with this car. When I say the back seat has no room....that is an under statement.
If i had to pick one of these to buy i would get the MKX. Who woulda thought...a lincoln.
On that note... the new Lincoln sedan coming out...shit i don't remember the name M something or the other (!) Looks very nice as well. The interior, although we couldn't touch it looked to be of high quality. The exterior looked substantial as well. It kinda had the Jag XF thing going. I am pretty interested to see what this car will be like.

The most sinister/ cool car that was there (and the whole point of going to the auto show as the Challenger. And let me tell ya.....this thing looks awesome. There were flocks of people going around the 2 or 3 cars they had there. It is awesome. Guys were laughing like nervous little school boys around these things. I havent seen a reaction to car like this in a long time. It's like it turns on some old instinct that doesn't get used anymore. I think i actually heard some guys grunting. I was grinning ear to ear like a little kid. I think something moved in my shorts....i'm not quite sure. But this car is the real deal. I can't wait to drive one. The interior pretty much looks like all the other SRT8 vehicles. Which is not to say it's bad. It is what it is. It wouldn't be my first choice...but it isn't a new camry interior either. I want one. bad. Can't wait till the Camaro's come out. This is the last time we may have adrenaline pumping, fuel swigging cars like these.
Again, my wife "appreciated" why i like the car...but probably thought i was a retard.

Shelby 500KR....looks pretty sweet. Interior still ABS plastic.
1-series---i don't get it. I know it is an enthusiast car...but does have to be so ugly? Sorry Jesal.
3-series- i think every car on display had the saddle interior going. Really glad i got aluminum trim.
6, 5's, M3, other M's...still look awesome. To be honest, and this surprises me, didn't spend that much time looking at the M3. 3 series looks close enough.
The terra interior on the 3-series sedans is to die for.
Acura - out
Lexus - that IS-F concept (the black one) looks like the batmobile...in a good way. Looks very mean. IS is still a great looking car... the rest of the line up ...ehhh not my cup of tea. I wanna know who designs the wheels for the SC...and go to his house and shoot him. Then go the guy who approves this shit and shoot his wife so he knows not to make the same mistake again. I wonder if it is the same guy who works for acura....
Infiniti- i was making a statement that I thought the exterior of the G37 might be better looking than my car and she looked at me like I was on crack.
Audi S5...if I only had 10K more. Awesome. Looks very nice. The interior is impeccable. Although, not blown away as i thought i would be. The shifter is sooo much better than mine. Nice short, precise shifts.
Cadillac- CTS-V looks mean as hell. Not as overdone as it looks in the magazines. That is good thing. CTS-coupe. Wifey and I both gave it a thumbs up. STS still looks OK but with the new CTS the rest of the line up, especially the XLR started to look real dated.

Overall, i am impressed with how far a lot of the american cars have come. Especially the luxury players. They know it's s do or die.
I hate HATE all the Alpha-numeric names of cars. It is so goddamn confusing. Can't keep them straight...and I love cars. My wife just didn't get it at all. She just started pointing and saying "that one is nice..which one is that one again?"

The funniest part of the night is at the Challenger I was telling my wife that maybe I should have waited to buy one of these. So this guy, probably in his late twenties, is all excited and asks me "Oh man...what did you get instead?" I said, " i wound up getting a 335 coupe" I heard the gears grid to a halt in his head and this blank look on his face, like "does not compute, does not compute..." I actually think i hurt his feelings. He stumbed away because all of a sudden the world didn't make sense any more. I couldn't stop laughing.

I can't type anymore ....

Last edited by Loseit; 02-14-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Don't Mess With Texas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wish texas had a real auto show. the houston auto show is the biggest joke.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:25 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Old 02-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Pics
Old 02-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Loseit

The most sinister/ cool car that was there (and the whole point of going to the auto show as the Challenger. And let me tell ya.....this thing looks awesome. There were flocks of people going around the 2 or 3 cars they had there. It is awesome. Guys were laughing like nervous little school boys around these things. I havent seen a reaction to car like this in a long time. It's like it turns on some old instinct that doesn't get used anymore. I think i actually heard some guys grunting. I was grinning ear to ear like a little kid. I think something moved in my shorts....i'm not quite sure. But this car is the real deal. I can't wait to drive one. The interior pretty much looks like all the other SRT8 vehicles. Which is not to say it's bad. It is what it is. It wouldn't be my first choice...but it isn't a new camry interior either. I want one. bad.
Thats not the response i was hearing sat when i went. Also Many were complaining about the interior looking and i actually went over the glass and touched the dash materials and they were very cheap to the touch, just like they looked.

The CTS/CTS-V were very nice cars, inside and out.

And the Hyundai Genesis was a very nice car(actually got my attention almost more than any other at the show). It should do well.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:19 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cltypeSLOW
i wish texas had a real auto show. the houston auto show is the biggest joke.

but i was surprised they had the GT-R, IS-F, M3 sedan, S5, and R8.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Thanks!

This IS-F is sick! And I don't even like the IS-F!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Thats not the response i was hearing sat when i went. Also Many were complaining about the interior looking and i actually went over the glass and touched the dash materials and they were very cheap to the touch, just like they looked.

The CTS/CTS-V were very nice cars, inside and out.

i agree...the interior is a let down. It is not ABS like the mustang, either, though. It's kinda like the g37 as far as materials. Soft touch on top and harder on the bottom. The G37 is, of course waaay better as far as quality, however. But the materials in the Challenger are not extra cheap, either. It just a plain jain layout IMO. Not what you would expect in car with the such a attention grabbing exterior.

I touched the dash, too. They didn't like that
Old 02-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

loved the Genesis engine display.
All i kept thinking was...who woulda ever thought that you could take Hyundai seriously!
I love it.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,939 Likes on 5,546 Posts
nice review Loseit - I especially like that you made no comment on the GT-R.

rep's comin your way
Old 02-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

woops, i actually forgot to look at it :dumbass: didn't even go to the nissan display!
i dunno if i would actually buy one...i mean i think it's cool as shit....oh well.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,939 Likes on 5,546 Posts
'nuff said
Old 02-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Loseit
I touched the dash, too. They didn't like that
I didnt get caught
Old 02-14-2008, 01:34 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i like how the mkx looks also. but the interior is awful, hate the retro theme lincoln has going on
Old 02-17-2008, 07:26 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the Genesis at Chicago and really liked it (for that given vehicle class). I think Hyundai is going to be the next true competitor for Honda/Toyota.