Reckless Driving - Ticket Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
do NOT go to court and try to tell the judge you had a "food coma"...

I live in CA... so YMMV as you are in another state. Here in CA reckless driving is Vehicle Code section 23109... or 23109VC.. look at my handle.

in CA it is a misdemeanor. which means you coudl go to jail. you won't.. they don't have space for people who drive to fast in jail.. but it is legally classified as a misdemeanor. which means when you show up for your first court date they will appoint you a public defender - free lawyer.

you can hire a private traffic lawyer but tons of those guys are total cons and will rip you off. c'mon what REAL crimianl defense attorney does traffic tickets?@??! none. the real ones do murders, felonies.. maybe DUIs... and avoid traffic. it's low level stuff.

go to court, get a free public defender.

if all you did was really run a red light.. NOt burn rubber and do donuts all over the place... the odds are the DA at court will offer youa plea bargain to a lesser charge - like runnign a red light.

take your medicine, take the deal, it will go down as an infraction.. and you will be back on the road in no time. you will probably do traffic school or soemthing, pay a fine.. but you won't go to jail, and you won't lose yhour licnese.

if you are leaving out facts.. and there were 3 people following you, telling the cops that you were weaving in and out of traffic, almost runnign them off the road, etc etc.. in essence.. if the average person who SAW what you did, would tell the court you were driivng like a total A$$hole... and were endangering peo[le.. you might not get the reduction to a red light violation and maybe you are looking at more trouble. if you are telling us the whole truth..and you simply blew a red light and the cop was hassling you and gave you a reckless ticket.. then you shoudl have no problem gettin ga deal.

the thing is.. cops don't normally just drive reckless driving tickets when people just run stop lights. when you run a stop light. and say "gee officer, sorry i missed the light".. then they give you a red light ticket. if you gave the officer a line of BS about a "food coma" gave him attitude, or jerkeed him around - maybe he jacked with you and gave you a reckless driving ticket. or like I said before, there is more to your story than you are telling and it realy was RECKLESS and it was worse than running a redlight.

hope that helps. slow down.

23109VC.

I wish i could click on "thanks" for than once
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Please go to court and tell then you had a food coma and you weren't paying attention. Also tell the judge this routinely happens to you and you are sorry.

I'm sure the judge will take into account your honesty and probably only give you a small $20 fine and tell you to drive better next time.

I promise this is your best bet.

Let us know the outcome.

Last edited by WILLDOGS; 03-19-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
do NOT go to court and try to tell the judge you had a "food coma"...

I live in CA... so YMMV as you are in another state. Here in CA reckless driving is Vehicle Code section 23109... or 23109VC.. look at my handle.

in CA it is a misdemeanor. which means you coudl go to jail. you won't.. they don't have space for people who drive to fast in jail.. but it is legally classified as a misdemeanor. which means when you show up for your first court date they will appoint you a public defender - free lawyer.

you can hire a private traffic lawyer but tons of those guys are total cons and will rip you off. c'mon what REAL crimianl defense attorney does traffic tickets?@??! none. the real ones do murders, felonies.. maybe DUIs... and avoid traffic. it's low level stuff.

go to court, get a free public defender.

if all you did was really run a red light.. NOt burn rubber and do donuts all over the place... the odds are the DA at court will offer youa plea bargain to a lesser charge - like runnign a red light.

take your medicine, take the deal, it will go down as an infraction.. and you will be back on the road in no time. you will probably do traffic school or soemthing, pay a fine.. but you won't go to jail, and you won't lose yhour licnese.

if you are leaving out facts.. and there were 3 people following you, telling the cops that you were weaving in and out of traffic, almost runnign them off the road, etc etc.. in essence.. if the average person who SAW what you did, would tell the court you were driivng like a total A$$hole... and were endangering peo[le.. you might not get the reduction to a red light violation and maybe you are looking at more trouble. if you are telling us the whole truth..and you simply blew a red light and the cop was hassling you and gave you a reckless ticket.. then you shoudl have no problem gettin ga deal.

the thing is.. cops don't normally just drive reckless driving tickets when people just run stop lights. when you run a stop light. and say "gee officer, sorry i missed the light".. then they give you a red light ticket. if you gave the officer a line of BS about a "food coma" gave him attitude, or jerkeed him around - maybe he jacked with you and gave you a reckless driving ticket. or like I said before, there is more to your story than you are telling and it realy was RECKLESS and it was worse than running a redlight.

hope that helps. slow down.

23109VC.
Funny thing is I had two other cars following me, we were headed somewhere. I was trying to recollect with them today and they told me I came to a stop when it turned red and I just started going again a second later. I honestly have no idea why I did that thus I blame it on food coma. I thought I completely blew it doing 15-20mph but apparently not. When the I saw cops lights behind me, I knew I ran a red. I was expecting them to give me a ticket for a red light which I figured was at most a few points and at most $300. Turns out they gave me a reckless driving ticket.

They asked me if I knew what I did wrong. I said yes, they ask for me info and left for their car. They came back, and gave me a reckless driving tickets. In their words, they said that they didn't want to give me a red light ticket because it's WORSE. They said a reckless driving ticket is better because I can have it reduced or dismissed but a red light ticket is pretty much no way out, which is why they gave me a reckless driving ticket.

Came home, looked it up and it carried 5 points, huge fine, and criminal offense. I was like WTF?

Yes, I blew a red light. I admitted to the cop (it happened right infront of them) but it wasn't a completely pedestrian crowded area. It was a semi-highway underneath a bridge. People do walk but not often. The police addressed their concerns of me being in a T bone accident, not their concerns for me killing or running over someone. I didn't say anything, just nodded and agreed and went my way. That's what went down, I'm not really sure what other idiot would admit to food coma but that's what I'm blaming for my lack of thinking/focus during those few seconds
Old 03-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by WILLDOGS
Please go to court and tell then you had a food coma and you weren't paying attention. Also tell the judge this routinely happens to you and you are sorry.

I'm sure the judge will take into account your honesty and probably only give you a small $20 fine and tell you to drive better next time.

I promise this is your best bet.

Let us know the outcome.
As for my driving record, I had a speeding ticket two years ago and now a reckless driving ticket. Not sure if you would call that routine.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I don't know about the State of Kalifornia, but around here if you opt for a public defender they make you pay if the court determines you have the means to retain an attorney.

Free Lawyer is suddenly not so free.
Any idea on the fee?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by yantastic
Any idea on the fee?

Probably less than the cost of insurance for having a Wreckless Op on your driving record.
The following users liked this post:
yantastic (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
23109 is a SPEED CONTEST. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc23109.htm
23103 is reckless driving... http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc23103.htm

Either way lawyer up.
yantastic (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 01:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I don't know about the State of Kalifornia, but around here if you opt for a public defender they make you pay if the court determines you have the means to retain an attorney.

There is nothing of that sort in the 5 boroughs of NY (Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island, Manhattan). It's you, your lawyer (if you decide to hire one), the cop, and the judge. Each tells their side of the story and the judge decides the verdict. No plea bargaining, no prosecutors, no district attorneys, nothing of that sort.

OP, good luck with this. I too would fight it. I also have a lawyer that's probably a bit cheaper than who you called and has done well for me, my family and my friends. PM me if you want his name and #...
yantastic (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 08:01 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
try and fight it. what's the worst that can happen? you don't know until you try.

admit guilt, but with an explanation. and do not use that "food coma" crap or whatever that is as your reason. be smart, use your head. be respectful to the judge, he/she is ultimately deciding your fate.

i imagine this was how your face looked as you casually rolled through the red light...

yantastic (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shoofin
There is nothing of that sort in the 5 boroughs of NY (Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island, Manhattan). It's you, your lawyer (if you decide to hire one), the cop, and the judge. Each tells their side of the story and the judge decides the verdict. No plea bargaining, no prosecutors, no district attorneys, nothing of that sort.

OP, good luck with this. I too would fight it. I also have a lawyer that's probably a bit cheaper than who you called and has done well for me, my family and my friends. PM me if you want his name and #...
My pm doesn't work.. Haven't been here. 15 days
Old 03-20-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
try and fight it. what's the worst that can happen? you don't know until you try.

admit guilt, but with an explanation. and do not use that "food coma" crap or whatever that is as your reason. be smart, use your head. be respectful to the judge, he/she is ultimately deciding your fate.

i imagine this was how your face looked as you casually rolled through the red light...

usually pleading not guilty results in disqualification of traffic school. but maybe it just works differently in each state,.
yantastic (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 12:03 PM
BANNED

Originally Posted by potmilkz
usually pleading not guilty results in disqualification of traffic school. but maybe it just works differently in each state,.
yeah i'm not sure about state to state laws...they may vary.

facts are, OP DID roll through a redlight and got pulled for it. if he pleads not guilty...he's lying under oath and the cop will tell his side of the story too.

guilty with explanation means you acknowledge that you did in fact, run the red light...but you get to tell your side of the story and the judge bases his decision off of that. the judge will then ask about your driving record and so forth.

i went to court last week. i got pulled over for the first time in 8 years about a month ago. 66 in a 40.

got reduced to 49 in a 40 and i only had to pay court costs instead of a $200 ticket. being honest and having a good track record goes a long way with the judge. they hate being lied too.
yantastic (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Advanced

yeah i'm not sure about state to state laws...they may vary.

facts are, OP DID roll through a redlight and got pulled for it. if he pleads not guilty...he's lying under oath and the cop will tell his side of the story too.

guilty with explanation means you acknowledge that you did in fact, run the red light...but you get to tell your side of the story and the judge bases his decision off of that. the judge will then ask about your driving record and so forth.

i went to court last week. i got pulled over for the first time in 8 years about a month ago. 66 in a 40.

got reduced to 49 in a 40 and i only had to pay court costs instead of a $200 ticket. being honest and having a good track record goes a long way with the judge. they hate being lied too.
That's what I was planning to do but I'm worried about the criminal charge and 5 points. I'm not sure if they'll drop that criminal charge or reduce points but with a lawyer I feel more confident.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:01 PM
BANNED

That's what I was planning to do but I'm worried about the criminal charge and 5 points. I'm not sure if they'll drop that criminal charge or reduce points but with a lawyer I feel more confident.
i don't see the point in hiring a lawyer. what's he going to say, that you can't say yourself? this is traffic court, right? it's going to be a short and sweet interaction between the judge. you'll be finished in 3 minutes.

he'll call your name...tell you why you're here...and ask you guilty or not guilty? then after you tell your side of the story, he'll ask you what your driving record is like. the cop might not have to say one word the whole time. after that, he'll tell you your charge.

this is a routine thing for them, they won't spend a lot of time on it. just be nice and courteous, dress nice too and yes sir/no sir responses. stand up straight, speak up so that you don't have to repeat yourself. i think you'll be fine.

what's your record like?
yantastic (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Get a lawyer. Even if it costs you $500 if you can keep it off your record it is a big deal.

When you go to court do not use the food coma excuse. Not that it is much better but....

"I'm sorry, Your Honor. I was wrong and the only excuse I have was that I was not paying attention. It is very out of character for me, and I assure you that it will not happen again"
....sounds a lot better.

Good luck.
yantastic (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 01:07 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
Best to just face the music. "Yes your honor, I did it. It was irresponsible., it won't happen again.

If you've had a good driving history otherwise, you might be able to plea it down to an improper equipment ticket or something with the county/city attorney before court, but you must humbly admit fault in either case.

Pay your fee, hit traffic school, and be done with it.
You can't go to traffic school for reckless driving.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Advanced

i don't see the point in hiring a lawyer. what's he going to say, that you can't say yourself? this is traffic court, right? it's going to be a short and sweet interaction between the judge. you'll be finished in 3 minutes.

he'll call your name...tell you why you're here...and ask you guilty or not guilty? then after you tell your side of the story, he'll ask you what your driving record is like. the cop might not have to say one word the whole time. after that, he'll tell you your charge.

this is a routine thing for them, they won't spend a lot of time on it. just be nice and courteous, dress nice too and yes sir/no sir responses. stand up straight, speak up so that you don't have to repeat yourself. i think you'll be fine.

what's your record like?
That's the thing. It's not a traffic court. Because it carries criminal offense in new york, I have to report to a community criminal court. I fucked up but by all means I'm not a criminal.

My driving record is a 91 on a 65 two years ago that was reduced to 81 on 65. One not at fault accident (as reported by police) last year but I don't think this counts as no tickets were given to me.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:22 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Get a lawyer. Even if it costs you $500 if you can keep it off your record it is a big deal.

When you go to court do not use the food coma excuse. Not that it is much better but....

....sounds a lot better.

Good luck.
I agree 200% $500 is much less than you will pay in fines plus higher insurance for at least 3 years so get a lawyer that has experience in dealing and winniing in this type of situations.
yantastic (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 01:32 PM
BANNED

That's the thing. It's not a traffic court. Because it carries criminal offense in new york, I have to report to a community criminal court. I fucked up but by all means I'm not a criminal.

My driving record is a 91 on a 65 two years ago that was reduced to 81 on 65. One not at fault accident (as reported by police) last year but I don't think this counts as no tickets were given to me.
oh...i must've missed the part saying it was a criminal offense in NYC.

lawyer up then, disregard what i said.

best of luck to you
yantastic (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Good luck with this, by the way if they ask you about your old ticket dont say 91 in a 65 but reduced to 81 in a 65. Just say the 81 in a 65. Wouldn't think you would say that but since you wrote it I just want to give you that advice. According to paperwork your were doing 81 and stick with that.

Considering the circumstance I would lawyer up, just for the fact that they gave you the reckless not running red light and can hurt you a lot more down the road
yantastic (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 07:59 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lawyer up is your best bet....there is NO plea bargaining in NYC. You either win or lose period, don't even attempt to try and fight it yourself.
yantastic (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Advanced

thanks for the advice everyone. i'm going to get a lawyer and most likely the one from stopspeeding.com for $500. i can't risk anything at this point as i just started out my life professionally only to throw it away.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,196 Posts
I must say I'm amazed. A new member posting a red light ticket thread, blaming a food coma, and then able to keep the thread from blowing up. wow.
The following 2 users liked this post by doopstr:
civicdrivr (03-24-2012), yantastic (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 PM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
I must say I'm amazed. A new member posting a red light ticket thread, blaming a food coma, and then able to keep the thread from blowing up. wow.
I think he was able to get by because he "Thanked" everyone's posts.

He single handedly found the loophole to posting about some stupid shit he did and getting legit help on it that no one else in AZ history, in his same shoes, was able to figure out.
The following 2 users liked this post by WILLDOGS:
civicdrivr (03-24-2012), yantastic (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts

He single handedly found the loophole to posting about some stupid shit he did and getting legit help on it that no one else in AZ history, in his same shoes, was able to figure out.
Well that and he wasn't a complete jerk about it.

For instance he never once said, "It WAS a food coma you moronic twat. Look it up and educated youself before posting in my thread."
yantastic (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Advanced

that and that i wasn't overly defensive or offensive about any of the comments made. i just accepted what was said and focused posts that were helpful.

You sir are getting your first "Thanks" in this thread!

Hopefully others can learn from my mistake and leverage all the great information everyone has provided. Once again, thanks all!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Yan, definitely make a play for the red light violation first. Then (if things aren't going well in court), at least get "reckless" driving knocked down to "careless" driving. In most states reckless is worse than careless because reckless involves human endangerment and careless does not. Might be a bailout way to reduce the 5 points and (more importantly for a 23-yr-old) avoid a permanent criminal record. Google it to check the differences. "Careless" is generally a civil infraction while "reckless" is a misdemeanor crime.

Last edited by Pat04TL; 03-24-2012 at 03:32 PM.
yantastic (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Advanced

i hired a lawyer for $500. he came and got my ticket completely dismissed (he was hoping for moving violation = fine only) so this was an unexpected outcome. there was one condition, and that's to do defensive driving course and prove it to court. )))))))))))))))))))))))))
Old 06-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Consider yourself lucky, chalk it up to a life experience and drive more responsibly.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

i believe miranda warnings are about the same in every state? "you have the right to an attorney, if you cannot afford one, one will be provided to you free" you have the right to have a lawyer, the only way you get a free one is if you can prove that it would cause undue financial hardship on you to pay for one
Old 06-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts

Be careful out there.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:06 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Congrats man. Wisen up on the roads now.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
I got my careless driving ticket taken care of...gave to ticket clinic for 80 bucks...got adjudication withheld for 160 court fees. Fine by me. Still not guilty motherfkerrrrr
Old 06-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Wow, great outcome! Where did you find the lawyer from?