Real disappointed in new Acura's. Nothing exciting whatsoever.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013 | 09:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Ah yes, critique all the models that are on their way out and compare them to the new stuff out there.

And im sorry, i cant take much of anything you typed seriously considering the fact you couldnt figure out how to move the seat back on the ILX
Well ok, but it was the new model that prompted me to make this thread in the first place. The ILX. I don't really care all that much if you take me seriously or not, but the reasoning behind my statement about not knowing how to move the seat was valid IMO. Every vehicle I have ever been in when you open the door there are power seat switches on the bottom left side of the drivers seat (except for some Benz vehicles I have been in). The ILX had two goofy manual levers, one that manually raised and lower the seat (something I can remember Civic's having), and another lever that launched the seat back forward like a rocket. At that point I can only assume it was a manual seat with a bar under the front (which if true is pretty shocking). No thanks! At that point I could have cared less about sitting inside it.

My apologies for those that aren't thrilled with this post I made, but when I found myself more excited to be at a Honda dealership than an Acura dealership I was pretty surprised. Then seeing the ILX for the first time in person really disappointed me and for me personally I couldn't think of a single reason why I would want that car. IMO it doesn't look cool, the inside seemed small and basic, it isn't fast, doesn't have any cool features to sway me towards it, and lastly you would think its inexpensive....nope. Thats why im hoping that the 5G TL changes things around at Acura because as mentioned Acura's are extremely reliable and well built vehicles there is no denying that.
Old 01-04-2013 | 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^
No need to apologize. You are in Car Talk. You are among friends, and many of us, me included, are former Acura owners. I was a multiple-Acura owner. Many of us feel the same as you and have been posting the same sentiment since the 4G TL was released. The reason you are getting some flak is that your post is 3 1/2 years late and there are multiple, multiple, multiple threads making the same point.

I, too, was more excited to be in the Honda showroom. I test drove an Accord Sport four months ago and in fact almost bought one. Holy crap that is a great-looking, well-executed car that gets closer to what Honda used to be than recent models. I loved it. There is less of that old Honda spirit in Acura right now, though it is starting to change. The ILX is not that bad, honestly, especially in 6MT 2.4 l form. But I'd still prefer an Accord Sport with 6MT over that.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
dom (01-05-2013), juniorbean (01-07-2013)
Old 01-05-2013 | 07:04 AM
Safety Car

You obviously haven't sat in a Infiniti or Audi lately.

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Well ok, but it was the new model that prompted me to make this thread in the first place. The ILX. I don't really care all that much if you take me seriously or not, but the reasoning behind my statement about not knowing how to move the seat was valid IMO. Every vehicle I have ever been in when you open the door there are power seat switches on the bottom left side of the drivers seat (except for some Benz vehicles I have been in). The ILX had two goofy manual levers, one that manually raised and lower the seat (something I can remember Civic's having), and another lever that launched the seat back forward like a rocket. At that point I can only assume it was a manual seat with a bar under the front (which if true is pretty shocking). No thanks! At that point I could have cared less about sitting inside it.

My apologies for those that aren't thrilled with this post I made, but when I found myself more excited to be at a Honda dealership than an Acura dealership I was pretty surprised. Then seeing the ILX for the first time in person really disappointed me and for me personally I couldn't think of a single reason why I would want that car. IMO it doesn't look cool, the inside seemed small and basic, it isn't fast, doesn't have any cool features to sway me towards it, and lastly you would think its inexpensive....nope. Thats why im hoping that the 5G TL changes things around at Acura because as mentioned Acura's are extremely reliable and well built vehicles there is no denying that.
Old 01-05-2013 | 08:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by neuronbob

I, too, was more excited to be in the Honda showroom. I test drove an Accord Sport four months ago and in fact almost bought one. Holy crap that is a great-looking, well-executed car that gets closer to what Honda used to be than recent models. I loved it. There is less of that old Honda spirit in Acura right now, though it is starting to change. The ILX is not that bad, honestly, especially in 6MT 2.4 l form. But I'd still prefer an Accord Sport with 6MT over that.
I'm looking forward to driving the new Accord....which will hopefully be today.

With regard to the ILX, my only gripe is probably more of a philosophical one in that an upscale brand in need of an image makeover shouldn't pull such a downgrade move such as the ILX. Maybe if the RLX and new NSX hit up first, I may not be so inclined as to think that Acura has their priorities backwards.

As for the ILX, I drove the 2.4L 6MT model at an Acura even and found it to be a competent car in and of itself. However, I wouldn't get one over a Ford Focus or even Civic Si sedan....both of which are it's most likely competitors.
Old 01-05-2013 | 10:15 AM
Racer

2g tsx owner here. I think the 2g tsx is the best looking car acura currently has in its lineup IMO.

I think the 3g tl-s looks great, but the interior looks dated. The 2g tsx interior looks more up to date, and the ergonomics feel great. the gauge cluster is easy to read and has nice styling.

I have owned honda, bmw, mitsubishi and now acura and I feel the acura has the best interior.

The bmw was overall pretty decent, with push start etc. but reliability sucks.

The mitusbishi (evo X) was just bare necessities interior.

I do with acura would have a push button start by now, considering the s2000 had it such a long time ago.

The new feels like a bloated whale. then again im comparing everything to the evox, so even the tsx feels sloppy handeling wise.

The new c250 definitely impressed me with the handling, but the interior was nothing special, in fact i couldnt stand the steering wheel controls and layout.
Old 01-05-2013 | 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

I will say this..

Look at which TL generations I've owned.

1st, 2nd and 3rd. Which one is missing?
Old 01-05-2013 | 01:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-05-2013 | 01:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by juniorbean

Fixed.
Old 01-07-2013 | 06:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I will say this..

Look at which TL generations I've owned.

1st, 2nd and 3rd. Which one is missing?
The best one?
Old 01-07-2013 | 07:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
Fixed.
lol... guess I can just use that smiley from now on
Old 01-07-2013 | 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Every vehicle I have ever been in when you open the door there are power seat switches on the bottom left side of the drivers seat (except for some Benz vehicles I have been in).
Thats a lie. See below.

The ILX had two goofy manual levers, one that manually raised and lower the seat (something I can remember Civic's having)...

I'll ask you the same question I ask everyone saying that Acura has lost their appeal. When you bought your last Acura, what did Acura have that excited you, and do they not have that now?
Old 01-07-2013 | 01:09 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Fire the coach.
Old 01-07-2013 | 01:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

It's 2013 and somebody just figured out that Acura is a shell of what it once was?!?!?
Old 01-15-2013 | 10:09 PM
10th Gear

I 'll be sure to look for acura at the 2013 auto show that comes to washington dc feb.1