26.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Ford Mustang GT vs BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Don't you just love the raw, in your face, I don't give a sh-- edgy persona about this new Mustang?

I love what Ford has done with the 2011 version. Damn... almost makes me wish I was in the market.

Absolutely. It's part of the appeal. And some of this appeal carries over to some of the other offerings from the other two American manufacturers. It's something Detroit has always done best.

I've said this in the past, but I also think it applies in this instance as well:

A fine European automobile is like a beautiful and sophisticated wife. Elegant, cultured, refined, and pleasure to be with. Someone you love to be around. An American performance car is the slutty mistress. Loud, unabashed, and unapologetic. Always up for anything.

I love them both.

Terry
Old 04-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
A fine European automobile is like a beautiful and sophisticated wife. Elegant, cultured, refined, and pleasure to be with. Someone you love to be around. An American performance car is the slutty mistress. Loud, unabashed, and unapologetic. Always up for anything.
Well said.

Last night, I was leaving my friend's place and it was around 1:30 AM and I was stopped at a red light. Funny enough, the new 5.0 stang with an older gentleman in convertible form pulls up next to me, rock music blaring with the top down. I gave him a thumbs up hoping he would get on it when it became green.

Boy, does that engine sing.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
It actually does more howling than singing..almost like a coyote.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Thank you. I am in no way snobbish, elitist, or bigoted when it comes to selecting a car that fits my wants and needs at the time.

I do admit to having a preference for American iron and will look there before outside, however I still hold to the simple rule that if it doesn't suit me, it will not wind up in my garage.

I do think that Ford is leading the pack here in the states and while Cadillac has a fine offering in the CTS-V, it tends to stop there if you must have a manual (me). The Mustang speaks to my inner car-loving personality as would the Z06 or some other raw performance machine.

But I will say this. I do not have an overly strong bias towards any manufacturer and consider blind brand loyalty to be curious and a tad ridiculous.
with everything.

I think it says a lot for Ford. I don't think very many people compared the 94-04 GT to the E36 or E46 M3, nor has the performance ever been this close. The Cobra, maybe... But probably never, ever the GT. Job well done.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Not really, that honor goes to the E36.
I would take the E30, now that is one amazing car, and one of my dream cars to own in my garage... doubt that will happen though
One thing i hope the M division goes, and autoblog reported that it is possible. Is to make these cars go on a diet and worry more about the driving pleasure than making the car park itself. I dont want rear view camera's and all that in my M3. Yes some luxury is fine, but there is a limit to how much. Right now its pushing it. Luxury adds weight and takes away from the driving pleasure. Although I have never driven a M3, but I've read a lot about it, and people say its an amazing car to drive, and BMW accomplished that task with all those luxuries in it... Imagine what it would be with some of that gone

Ohh another reason I put myself in the M3 vs the Mustang is that it just appeals to me, I've always loved the M3. When I pick my future cars, to me its not always gonna be about numbers, its what car I just fall for. You dont choose a ferrari or lamborghini based on stats. You pick it because you fell in love with that car. And thats me and the M3

Plus i can't see myself driving in a Mustang haha
Old 04-18-2010, 07:45 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,834 Likes on 2,576 Posts
Absolutely. It's part of the appeal. And some of this appeal carries over to some of the other offerings from the other two American manufacturers. It's something Detroit has always done best.

I've said this in the past, but I also think it applies in this instance as well:

I love them both.

Terry
Favorite saying I ever to compare American Muscle with German Precision was do you want a scalpel...or a chainsaw...
Old 04-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mourning Would
or how about 08 Z06 with 10,000 miles for $55k or a new M3 for $65k?

After you drive any Ford product? I'm pretty sure if you drove the Ford Expedition after driving the M3 you'd probably want the M3 a lot. And from the looks of your post, it sounds like you've driven both a new M3 and the 2011 GT already

Your post exemplifies exactly what I meant by people not being comfortable in a Ford, or a Mustang. People who are saying the Mustang (05+) rides poorly or is unrefined or handles like a wet noodle are VERY misinformed.

I like how people are picking the M3 and ignoring the price factor. If its "M3 hands down" then why aren't they putting their money where their mouth is and instead of buying a $35k 3G TL-S (or a $35k Mustang) why didn't they buy an E90 M3? Or instead of a $30k TSX why didn't they get a $40k 335i?

Unless the 2011 Mustang is the first of a new breed of Fords, I'll pass. I have driven a new M3, among many other BMWs. But steering feel, throttle feel, brake feel, clutch feel, seats, interior trim, fit and finish, ergonomics etc. are better than previous Mustangs. All these tend to my personal preferences. Some are just plain superior. This goes back to the fact that these cars are not comparable. Bottom line.

People have certain priorities. Assuming a 335, M3 or Mustang can take the place of a TL for everyone is just plain stupid.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
I would take the E30, now that is one amazing car, and one of my dream cars to own in my garage... doubt that will happen though
One thing i hope the M division goes, and autoblog reported that it is possible. Is to make these cars go on a diet and worry more about the driving pleasure than making the car park itself. I dont want rear view camera's and all that in my M3. Yes some luxury is fine, but there is a limit to how much. Right now its pushing it. Luxury adds weight and takes away from the driving pleasure. Although I have never driven a M3, but I've read a lot about it, and people say its an amazing car to drive, and BMW accomplished that task with all those luxuries in it... Imagine what it would be with some of that gone

Ohh another reason I put myself in the M3 vs the Mustang is that it just appeals to me, I've always loved the M3. When I pick my future cars, to me its not always gonna be about numbers, its what car I just fall for. You dont choose a ferrari or lamborghini based on stats. You pick it because you fell in love with that car. And thats me and the M3

Plus i can't see myself driving in a Mustang haha
Sadly, I don't see that happening. Maybe another M3 CSL
I'll keep hoping though.

I agree on the falling in love part. My dream car is a Ferrari 360. I've loved it since I was little and it's one of my goals in life.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny_b
Unless the 2011 Mustang is the first of a new breed of Fords, I'll pass. I have driven a new M3, among many other BMWs. But steering feel, throttle feel, brake feel, clutch feel, seats, interior trim, fit and finish, ergonomics etc. are better than previous Mustangs. All these tend to my personal preferences. Some are just plain superior. This goes back to the fact that these cars are not comparable. Bottom line.

People have certain priorities. Assuming a 335, M3 or Mustang can take the place of a TL for everyone is just plain stupid.

Performance wise, the 2011 5.0 and the M3 are very comparable. So much in fact, it's the reason for this particular thread. An enthusiast certainly has to wonder if the premium for the M3 equates into that much more driving enjoyment.

Terry
Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny_b

Went right over your head

The Mustang and TL are apples and oranges.... or more like watermelons and grapefruits. I didn't say the Mustang and TL were similar.... but the fact remains that they are nearly in the same price range. I'm pretty sure most members here with a TL would like to trade up to a M3, if they really wanted to and could.

But the main factor here is money... if there are so many people here that would take a $60k car over a $30k car, then why aren't there more members on AZ in a $60k car instead of a $30k car?

Can't say the same for current M3 owners, going down to a Mustang GT would be a downgrade in several ways, surely. But the Mustang has a lot more going for it than people give it credit for.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
Sadly, I don't see that happening. Maybe another M3 CSL
I'll keep hoping though.

I agree on the falling in love part. My dream car is a Ferrari 360. I've loved it since I was little and it's one of my goals in life.
Yup we gotta keep hoping
If they make a CSL it wont come to America
So I hope the whole car in its self is like a CSL

As for my dream car its the F430, but the E30 is also one but F430 is my priority!!

Take a look at this
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/31/b...re-affordable/
Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Performance wise, the 2011 5.0 and the M3 are very comparable. So much in fact, it's the reason for this particular thread. An enthusiast certainly has to wonder if the premium for the M3 equates into that much more driving enjoyment.

Terry
Very true.

Just the fact that the Mustang is being compared to an M3 is a victory for Ford
Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
Very true.

Just the fact that the Mustang is being compared to an M3 is a victory for Ford
There was another Ford which found itself being compared to 3-series (not M3's) Bimmers in some magazines - and winning. The 2000 SVT Contour.

Yep, you heard that right. The 2000 SVT Contour was a highly over-engineered version of an already good car. You should have seen the advanced mechanicals the SVT people crammed into this little gem. I know, I owned #379 of 2150 made in the 2000 year model run. The car would beat a 3-series BMW on a road course or skid pad and not be a small margin. And in a drag race, the win went to the SVT over a 328i. Yes, it lacked some of the finery of the BMW. But it more than made up for it in pure driving pleasure and engineering.

Once again, I do not have very strong biases when it comes to cars. I admire and respect the good stuff, regardless of which company is involved. I like to see American car companies kick foreign butt, however I do buy what I want when I want it. Currently, and for some time, Ford has been leading the pack of domestic products and that is a good thing. Remember, competition improves the breed and in the end, it is a win for consumers and manufacturers.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Mourning Would
Went right over your head

The Mustang and TL are apples and oranges.... or more like watermelons and grapefruits. I didn't say the Mustang and TL were similar.... but the fact remains that they are nearly in the same price range. I'm pretty sure most members here with a TL would like to trade up to a M3, if they really wanted to and could.

But the main factor here is money... if there are so many people here that would take a $60k car over a $30k car, then why aren't there more members on AZ in a $60k car instead of a $30k car?

Can't say the same for current M3 owners, going down to a Mustang GT would be a downgrade in several ways, surely. But the Mustang has a lot more going for it than people give it credit for.
I dunno man, I've lost count of how many guys here have E9X M3's. I don't know ANY that have a Mustang. Besides, the poll results pretty much speak for themselves:

M3 > Mustang
Old 04-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I dunno man, I've lost count of how many guys here have E9X M3's. I don't know ANY that have a Mustang. Besides, the poll results pretty much speak for themselves:

M3 > Mustang
Umm ... The previous Mustang GT was not in any way competitive with the M3 and the GT500 was expensive enough that everyone would have chosen a M3.

The 2011 5.0 GT has changed the competitive landscape.

Someone is going to buy one here at some point. If the car is that good, they're going to get it instead of a 370Z or G37 or 335i or A5.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
It's the same conversation we have every day on things like clothes, watches, etc.

Is my Omega Seamaster a better watch than the guy sitting next to me wearing a Timex? If you mean more expensive, Do they both tell time? Do they both serve their purpose?

Bottom line is this is a matter of personal preference. Would I wear a Timex? Would I own an M3? Personal preference. Oh and would I own a Mustang? Just don't like the styling.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,675 Likes on 13,908 Posts
No competition here for me. M3 all the way...Luxury + speed + power...versus, speed + power.

Sorry, I like some luxury.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I would never even consider cross-shopping the two and for me... there's just something to be said for refinement. For that I'd choose the M3.

If I was just in the market to magazine race, best bang for the buck would certainly be the Mustang and if those were my requirements, I would seriously consider it.

But for me, I like the whole package which also goes beyond the car to things like service, etc... and the Germans (at least in our market) go well above and beyond any Ford or Chevy dealer I have been to. That combined with the luxury the M3 gives you in addition to the power and handling... my vote would be the M3.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

^ It's a bit weird to compare the 2 vehicles. I would never have slotted them in the same category...

Sure, compare the Mustang against the Camaro, Challenger et al...but, the M3...? Just a bit weird...I can't wait until someone drags the RS4 into this conversation. Or...wait. The CTS-V.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:17 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by achenator
how about this one? New mustang GT for $35K or 08 M3 with 10k miles for $45K.

Also I bet mustang GT insurance isn't too far from an M3.
Mustang again
Old 04-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by Yumcha
^ It's a bit weird to compare the 2 vehicles. I would never have slotted them in the same category...

Sure, compare the Mustang against the Camaro, Challenger et al...but, the M3...? Just a bit weird...I can't wait until someone drags the RS4 into this conversation. Or...wait. The CTS-V.
When it comes out, I'm going to go take a look at one. I'm curious to see if the Audi-esque comments are actually on-base or not.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Beltfed
Well, your comment is flawed...the 2011 Mustang being fast isn't its only strong point.

Hence the reason its one of the most talked about cars on the net at the moment.
I was talking more about the comments from some of the members. "oh I'd take thopse 30k and spend it on mods and blow m3 out of the water" and shit like that. polished piece of shit is still a piece of shit you know what I mean (not that a mustang is a piece of shit, I actually like them but not when you compare it to m3)
Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, I'll walk away with the Mustang GT, and 30K in the passenger seat. $100's please. I'll then race any M3 to the bank!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
^^^There really is alot more money spent building an M3 than there is a Mustang. The M3 has exotic materials like its CF roof and aluminum IRS that the Mustang could only dream of. It has active suspension and throttle mapping. Little things like the wheels are probably much better made and more expensive. The novillo leather is a higher grade than any Mustang will ever get. You won't see cheap cut-corners on an M3 like overspray and generic mouse-fur trunk lining. There may not be $25k worth of difference between the two but there is a fundamental difference between a car intended to cost $60k+ and one that will be $30k.....
Exotic materials are nice, but the M3 is a performance car first, and luxury second. The stang equals its performance, for 1/2 the price. All the extra's are just good for online debates.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i never thought i'd say this, but i'd go with the stang. not a stang or bimmer fan, but i like the direction that ford is headed in, plus the mustang will be easier to work on/modify
Old 04-19-2010, 11:07 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm not sure why people keep bringing up the cross shopping argument. Nobody has ever mentioned that you should check out the Mustang GT when you are M3 shopping. The "comparison" was purely performance based. It had zero to do with luxury, refinement, or the cars being in the "same category".

People said the same thing when the GTR was compared to a GT2. Those two aren't being cross shopped either, but the GTR achieved GT2 numbers for much less cost.

Until today, one had to pay $60K+ to attain M3-like numbers. Now those numbers can be attained for FAR less, and that's all this "comparison" has ever been about.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
I'm not sure why people keep bringing up the cross shopping argument. Nobody has ever mentioned that you should check out the Mustang GT when you are M3 shopping. The "comparison" was purely performance based. It had zero to do with luxury, refinement, or the cars being in the "same category".
The question is, which car would you rather take home. Meaning which car would you buy. Therefore, one would assume you would compare the others to each other to decide which to buy.

The comparison presented may have tried to be performance and cost based on the other website... but in the real world (and apparently on AZ as well), it's not that black and white. And most people on here are in that gray area where other factors are considered... hence the comments.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Mustang GT.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by juniorbean
The question is, which car would you rather take home. Meaning which car would you buy. Therefore, one would assume you would compare the others to each other to decide which to buy.

The comparison presented may have tried to be performance and cost based on the other website... but in the real world (and apparently on AZ as well), it's not that black and white. And most people on here are in that gray area where other factors are considered... hence the comments.
If I could afford an M3, I'm probably buying it because the Mustang has a stigma of drag racing knuckleheads with straight pipes that I don't want to be associated with ...

Of course BMW has the issue of pretentious collar-popping frat boy douchebags too ... And I have no interest in that demographic either.

But if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the spray-tan dickhead.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
If I could afford an M3, I'm probably buying it because the Mustang has a stigma of drag racing knuckleheads with straight pipes that I don't want to be associated with ...

Of course BMW has the issue of pretentious collar-popping frat boy douchebags too ... And I have no interest in that demographic either.

And there's something wrong with drag racing????? And people who do it are knuckleheads???

I vote "no" on both.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts
One again we are talking about an M3 that is in the 4th year of it's life vs. a Mustang that isn't even available yet. Give BMW 2-3 yrs.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Jesal, you were in a frat?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by achenator
One again we are talking about an M3 that is in the 4th year of it's life vs. a Mustang that isn't even available yet. Give BMW 2-3 yrs.
Its whats CURRENT not what is possibly going to be in a few years. Its a Right now comparison.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

And there's something wrong with drag racing????? And people who do it are knuckleheads???

I vote "no" on both.
Fine ... Street racing.

Mustangs go back much farther than Fast and Furious BS so I was using the generic term for the phenomenon rather than the current one.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT

Old 04-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
I was using hyperbole to describe the stereotype!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:48 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now here's another question: What are the chances Lincoln takes the mustang and pretties it up for a more luxurious appeal? Where would be then in this M3 vs GT arguement?

M3 vs Lincoln-equivalent Mustang v8 sports coupe?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

And that's why, the CTS-V am love.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by agranado
Now here's another question: What are the chances Lincoln takes the mustang and pretties it up for a more luxurious appeal? Where would be then in this M3 vs GT arguement?

M3 vs Lincoln-equivalent Mustang v8 sports coupe?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
I would not turn down either if they were offered to me.

Quick Reply: Poll: Ford Mustang GT vs BMW M3