Please help, sold a car, new owner timing belt broke.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:34 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Slo4U
I owned two early model eclipses, actually Talon AWD's. They both sucked with breaking timing belts. My first Talon actually broke two timing belts in the first six months I owned it. It was sitting in the shop for getting fixed for 3 of those months. I sold it right after only to find out that Mitsubishi had a recall on their timing belts. I would think that the buyer is instantly at fault for not doing his research about how bad those early model Eclipse/Talon's sucked when it came to timing belts.....<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
what years were your talons. We owned a 98 Eagle Talon TSI-AWD, bought new. Never had any problems with it-sold it-it had 125,000+miles on it.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
It's nice of you to be concerned, but you don't need to be. Move on.

Originally Posted by mitch14
if they have a lawyer and a detective in the family, they would know what they are asking for is

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Like I said in the post above this: DO NOT TAKE THEIR CALLS. They seem like the type of family that will not stop calling until they get what they want. Stop taking their calls. Seriously. Move on.

When you see them calling, do not answer the phone and don't listen to the message... just delete it. If they keep calling you... block their phone number. DO NOT TALK TO THEM ANYMORE.

You sold a car as-is. They inspected it and signed a contract/bill of sale stating this. You are 100% in the clear.

Forget about it and move on...
Old 03-15-2010, 09:18 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i had sold a buick century to a distant relative back in the day. A couple days later they came to me and said that there was major damage to the motor. I knew once in a while there was a ticking sound but it always went away and i never knew what it was and never really paid attention to it until after the fact. The car was only like $1600. I didn't refund any money. If they inspected it and were comfortable enough with what they found, it was a done deal.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
If they signed a contract stating it was inspected and agreed to the terms, you have nothing to worry about since thats all you need. Doesn't matter who he knows.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,309 Likes on 962 Posts
Man I hope if I buy a used I find a seller as nice as the OP
Old 05-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what HAPPEN? Sorry to bring this back but I was just wondering what you did. And once the timing belt goes, the pistons hit the valves and your engine is gone instantly. That's why the timing belt is so important. But 20k is nothing they should last for at least 100k. Did you return the money? I had a situation like this where I bought a 95' Mitsubishi Eclipse (my first car) and it had a engine that had no compression left but I didn't know and the owner said its sold AS-IS and I was like yeah but I thought it was good. I drive it for 2 hours and then my coolant starts pouring out of my car and I get it checked out and they said that my engine had no more compression left but I didn't even go back to look for the seller. It was a like a 14 year old car and only bought it for $900 so took it as a lesson learned.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:16 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 997 Likes on 535 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Listen to us: DO NOT TAKE THE MONEY BACK. You are free and clear of this. Everything was sold "As-is," so you are clean. Block their number, for the love of God, and stop answering their phone calls. If they want to escalate this, they will hire a lawyer, but even something like that is a stretch considering buying a car on the used market means "as-is."

DO NOT TAKE ANY MONEY BACK.

If you get more calls, tell them you will seek legal counsel. Then get a lawyer and direct all calls that way.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
I agree with everyone else that you are not at falt. $1600 for that car is a pretty good deal engine or not (It should be inspected as it might only need a new belt). I would just give his wii back since you have no use for it...
Old 05-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The comment that I agree most with in this thread: IGNORE THEM FROM NOW ON. No phone calls, no meet ups, nothing.

I will just give you my quick experience with selling privately, which I will probably NEVER do again.

I sold my 97 2.2 CL about 3 or 4 years ago. AS-IS, no warranty, legit bill of sale, legit everything, didn't even lower the price on the DMV paperwork, fuck that, I don't know you and it's basically fraud, so you're beat. Everything was cool, he loved the car blah blah blah. AFTER he pays me in full, the check is deposited, cleared, here is the title and keys, BYE BYE, he gets the car checked. Comes to my HOUSE 2 days later with an estimate from a mechanic for $1800 that he wants me to pay I offered him my personal mechanic to look at the car, got him an estimate for about $700, he denied. I said fine.

Months pass, I moved out of the apartment I was in, changed my adress, the whole bit. One day I get a call from my payroll dept saying they are garnishing my check. This fucker sued me and I didn't even know. Took me to small claims, I never showed because I never got the summons. Suing me for $3500!!!!! I sold him the car for $4200. fuck that. Went to my lawyer, got them to stop garnishing my check, went to court.

Long story short, we battled it out, judge felt sorry for him I guess, awarded $600 in his favor. Paid it gladly to get rid of the douchebag.

Not saying it will happen to you,but get a pussy judge who feels bad for a young kid, and it might hit your wallet.

good luck man
Old 05-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Caveat Emptor
Old 05-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
In for an update.. Definitely agree with what has been stated. You have nothing to worry about.. don't give a dime back.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:55 PM
406 with 2 kits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work on cars for a living and I agree with everyone else. I would also take it a step furter and tell them you want your mechanic to look at it. They could be full of shit on the whole thing.