Pissed off at Service Dept.-Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Pissed off at Service Dept.-Advice?

ok so looking for some advice.

i've been with ramsey acura since the beginning of 2010, the sales manager was referred to me by our honda guy who we've been with since like 05. I leased my 2010 TSX and a 2011 MDX Tech from them, i've sent numerous people to my sales guy who is the assistant sales manager, including mrstak, who have purchased cars. almost all of my service has been done exclusively through them, without much difficulty, with the only hitch being charged $150 to do my rear brakes at about 15K miles and being told i can send in the request for the class action law suit then being denied because of my vin.

A few days ago, i called to make an appt to get service done, i needed an oil change, and wanted some TSB's done. My grill has bubbles on it(i have pics), the VTC actuator is fucked up(grinding sound when i cold start for a sec). my passenger side HID also failed(went pink and is now off). dropped off my car wed night, got an ILX loaner. got a call at about 3pm yesterday that they werent covering the grill due to there being evidence of impact to the front grill. they couldn't replicate the grinding sound(my ass, i even took video of it), and didn't mention the oil change or headlight. i called back at 4 after my final and said that i would be coming in at 8am to drop off my loaner and check for the grinding noise, and that i also wanted to speak to the district rep about the grill. they called me at 5pm to tell me that the tech went out again and did replicate the noise, and that they were "good willing" the grill for me, but they needed to order the parts, and it was too late already so i would have to drop off my car after christmas for them to do it. i got there at 8:30 after sitting in traffic for an hour, keep in mind that im on duty and had to be "out of service" while out of response time for the town. gave back the loaner, payed for the oil change, and as i was giving the key after i transferred all my stuff back into my car, i mentioned the headlight because i didn't check it. he told me there was nothing on the paper for the headlight, when i showed him there was and thats the reason i initially called and spoke to him, he said its not warranty due to front impact to the car which affects the seal of the headlight. when i said that is BS because the car was in an accident in june of 2010, and it failing now due to that would be ridiculous, he said they'd look at it when i brought the car back.

i told him not to bother ordering the parts, i wouldn't be back after this BS. i've been dealing with them for years, and they gave me this BS, not even replacing the headlight. and let me tell you, its hard as hell to see with 1 HID vs 2.

i have several dealers in my area, living in north jersey. i have 1 about 20 minutes away, 3 that are 40 min in each direction, plus the ones in NY. this one is 40 minutes away, but i've been loyal to them. now im pissed off.

im just looking for suggestions. should i email the Service Manager, should i just put up this story on Dealerrater.com, should i do both? i dont have a big problem going to one of the other dealers, especially because my guy at this dealer tried to give me a shitty deal on a new lease for my TSX

Last edited by PyroDave; 12-22-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:16 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i would speak with the service manager. if that doesn't work then post on dealerrater.

your situation is certainly frustrating. i'd be upset. do you go to the same service advisor each time for service? just wondering.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Sorry you had to go through that, its amazing how someone can tarnish a relationship over something small as this. I would write a letter to the manager and also contact Acura of North America.

I know about 6 month ago I helped my uncle with a issue dealing with Ramsey. My uncle lives in North NJ and calls me time to time when he needs help because English is his 3rd language and he has felt Ramsey takes advantage of him during various services. I too have talked to them and thought the adviser I spoke to was lacking in manners and knowledge. Since then he now uses Open Road Acura, or Springfield Acura.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:43 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
I think you're blowing things out of proportion. The only "BS" I see is being told the HID wouldn't be covered under warranty. But they did say they'd look at it in the end though. Talk to the service manager and/or your sales manager guy.

Any reason why they couldn't look at the headlight then or sooner than after Christmas?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
I think you're blowing things out of proportion.
+1

Also, who is to say how long it will take for the issue with the light to present itself. A seal being broken does not mean failure immediately.
The following users liked this post:
F23A4 (01-03-2013)
Old 12-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Patience goes a long way and you should give them a chance to make it right...
Old 12-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Safety Car

Yes I always use either Keith or Heron, usually Keith.

Originally Posted by AZuser
I think you're blowing things out of proportion. The only "BS" I see is being told the HID wouldn't be covered under warranty. But they did say they'd look at it in the end though. Talk to the service manager and/or your sales manager guy.

Any reason why they couldn't look at the headlight then or sooner than after Christmas?
Because it was Friday morning, and I was on duty from 6am, and I had to leave the crew 1 short while I was gone and got stuck in traffic due to a rollover. they said it would take them atleast a few hours and I couldn't keep the loaner. I was more pissed because that was the main issue I had, and called to make the appt about and they didn't even look at it. At first he said it wasn't written down on the service needed report they write, when I showed him it was on my copy, he said oh well it's only in the comments, not the actual shit that needs to be done. Meaning what, he doesn't read the comments from the guy that took the car?

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
+1

Also, who is to say how long it will take for the issue with the light to present itself. A seal being broken does not mean failure immediately.
2 years later from a weak seal? And the bulb didn't just go out, stop working. It went through the classic stages of HID bulb failure, pink for a week(I have a vid of it pink" and then blue then goes out. If condensation got in, it could only have shorted the circuit for the bulb/ballast.

The main reason I did make a scene was because out of the 4 things I needed, 1 wasn't even looked at, the other 2 I had to come back for and pick up a loaner again, that's 2 trips, 40 miles each way. The only thing they did was an oil change that I paid for... Hell, I haven't checked the oil, for all I know they just reset the system and didn't touch the oil lol
Old 12-22-2012, 09:53 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Typical Acura Dealer BS. Add them to the list along with Acura of Las Vegas on W. Sahara.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Hope you get this all sorted out Dave.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:37 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
This happened at a Ramsey dealership? Demand StonedCL, he will get things sorted out for you.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MTEAZY
This happened at a Ramsey dealership? Demand StonedCL, he will get things sorted out for you.
does he work there? its funny... they all know who i am there, that i am on this forum, that i mod my car. is it really the best idea to go against me? maybe its just cause im 19... idk, i thought my uniform and badge made me seem mature enough that im not a kid. most people understand that simply from my demeanor

LOL, just looked up his profile, banned over a year ago... https://acurazine.com/forums/members/stonedcl-9706/

BTW: i hope its not the same guy, cause the service guy, keith, im pretty sure he had a CL and may have said he was on here

Last edited by PyroDave; 12-23-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the fact that they didnt inform you on a headlight out means the tech didnt do the standard courtesy check of checking the lights and wipers
Old 12-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
I feel bad for the people at the dealership having to deal with you. Funny whenever you see a whining thread you know the OP is still in school. They are so demanding and entitled. They think god made the earth just for them.

When you said you would not be returning, I bet they were ecstatic knowing that they wouldn't have to listen to you again.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the dealership.

Last edited by brian6speed; 12-23-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,149 Posts
Sounded like they were going to take care of it?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
I told you earlier that you should have let them order the parts.
now you're out with broken parts and a burnt bulb.

Dont mind Brian6speed.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
BTW: i hope its not the same guy, cause the service guy, keith, im pretty sure he had a CL and may have said he was on here
I hope for your sake it isn't the same bag of hammers.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Endika
the fact that they didnt inform you on a headlight out means the tech didnt do the standard courtesy check of checking the lights and wipers
they do a multipoint inspection, they usually do BS it cause i didn't have my foglights in 1 time(the bulbs werent hooked up) and they put that it passed, i didn't care cause i dont really trust that shit anyway

Originally Posted by doopstr
Sounded like they were going to take care of it?
Originally Posted by justnspace
I told you earlier that you should have let them order the parts.
now you're out with broken parts and a burnt bulb.

Dont mind Brian6speed.
i know he's a worse troll than parisitus(or maybe they're sisters)

yea, they said they were gonna fix it, and i probably over reacted a bit, i know that, but i was really irate. i hadn't slept in 2 days due to work, just sat in over an hour of traffic, and found out they didn't do shit, and gave BS excuses for it. i'm gonna write an email to the service manager, i assume he'll see it wed. i dont doubt that he will say to bring the car in and they'll take care of it, cause honestly this isn't something that you should want to lose a loyal customer over. im just really pissed that im wasting this much time for simple shit...
Old 12-23-2012, 12:30 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PyroDave

i know he's a worse troll than parisitus(or maybe they're sisters)
Old 12-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by UA6
my pants are wet... and not from being scared at the troll response from them... i just did the dirty from your avatar
Old 12-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
StonedCL afaik was a sales guy at an "Infinity" dealership.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Old 12-23-2012, 10:06 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Old 12-24-2012, 12:37 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
It seems that they don't pay much attention to detail since they missed written complaints on your service invoice. They don't give two shits about your business and it shows.

Let them know that this is the last time they'll get any business from you and take your car somewhere else from now on.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:27 AM
Safety Car

so heres the Email that i sent to the Service Manager, i'll update when i get a response for anyone who cares

Hello Mr. Giron,

My name is ____, I have 2 Acura's leased from Ramsey, my 2010 TSX, and my Mom has a 2011 MDX Tech. I've been getting service done for both vehicles almost exclusively with your service dept, usually with either Keith or Heron. I have had only 1 issue where i was told my TSX's rear brakes were covered under the class action suit, and after i paid $150, i was informed that my VIN was not covered, but I didn't bother bringing it up because the service beside that was usually satisfactory or better.

Before Christmas I called to make an appointment for service on my 2010 TSX with Keith. I needed an Oil Change, and I also had several issues with the vehicle, the main one being my right HID bulb was failing, it had turned pink, and by the time I came in was completely off. The other two issues were things that for which I knew TSB's existed. A grinding noise for a second or two after cold start which indicated a known problem with the VTC actuator, and bubbling of the lower portion of the "chrome" grill. I have a product called Plasti-dip which is a rubberized coating which protects the finish of parts on the grill which i peeled away to expose the problem with the grill. I also took a video of the grinding sound that the engine makes incase there was an issue replicating it.

I dropped off my car on Wednesday night and received an ILX as a loaner. On Thursday at 3pm I received a message from Keith telling me that the grill would not be covered as per the district rep due to there being evidence of an impact to the front of the vehicle, and also that after changing the oil, the technician was unable to replicate the grinding noise so they also weren't doing anything about that. I called back at 4pm and left a message stating that I would be in on friday morning at 8am to check for the grinding noise, and that I also wanted to speak to the District Rep about the grill. At 5pm as I was heading in to work, Keith called me to tell me that now they replicated the sound in the engine, and the District Rep would "Good Will" the Grill for me but that it was now too late to order the parts for friday or saturday, and obviously Monday and Tuesday was Christmas. He told me I would have to come back after the Holidays to bring in the car, get a loaner, then come back for the car when they were done. I was frustrated and angry but said Fine and that i would be in at 8am to return the loaner.

I arrived at 8:30AM on friday morning after sitting in traffic for well over an hour, paid for the oil change, and as I was giving back the key for the loaner, I double checked that they had at least replaced the HID bulb which is an obvious warranty item. Keith had not even looked at it. Apparently the Service Advisor that I had dropped the car off with did not put the problem with the bulb in the correct spot, it was only listed in the comments. After being told that it wasn't written on the sheet, I produced my copy which clearly had it written as a concern. Keith then told me that the bulb wasn't a warranty item anyway due to there being evidence of impact to the front end of the Vehicle.

At this point I was irate. I was being convinced that an incident from over 2 years ago had caused the HID bulb to fail in a traditional manner? At this point, I told Keith not to bother ordering the parts for my car, that this was beyond ridiculous, which it was.

I live in ____, I have 1 dealership clearly closer to me, and 3 in NJ at the same distance as Ramsey, not to mention the Dealerships in NY, yet I have been loyal to Ramsey because this is where two of my cars are from. I was initially simply going to post my story online and on Dealerrater.com, leave it at that, and go to another dealership, but I felt that you should at least have a chance to respond to this situation before I do anything.

I look forward to hearing from you,
_____
Old 12-26-2012, 02:18 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
I hope they get back to you with some positive results, it sounds like they were going to help you out, but you got frustrated with all of the fuck ups and decided to walk?

My advice would've been to let them fix it in the first place and hook them up on the "survey"
Old 12-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Did you have Acura fix everything after the accident that caused the grill to be replaced/repainted? If so, then they should take care of the grill and the headlight without it being "goodwill". If you took it to a separate shop then I would think that shop would be liable for the grill but maybe not the headlight since it sounds like a failure not caused by the accident?

Hope you get this all sorted out!!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Safety Car

Heres the reply from the Service Manager,

Hello Mr.___,

First of all I like to thank you for taking the time to write me and give me
the opportunity to respond to your concerns. I do apologize for the matter
in which your concerns were handled, I would like to assure you that
customer satisfaction is one of our main concerns and we do appreciate your
business.
Please let me know when it would be convenient for you to set up an appt
with a loaner vehicle so we can address your concerns, I will personally
work with my shop foreman to verify your concerns as far as the grill and
headlight being non warrantable items.
If you have any other questions feel free to contact me at my direct number
201-574-1302

Best regards,

Ralph Giron

so i gave him a call and im coming in tomorrow at 9am to pick up a loaner so he can have his asst manager and shop foreman look at it.

Hapa, for the main part, yes that is what happened. i was given BS from them the day before and i was just like fuck it whatever, if it gets done i don't care. but i've been avoiding driving my car because of the lack of headlight. with HID's it makes a big difference driving wise because it is more direct than a halogen and you get less coverage side to side. when i came in at 9am, i had to convince my chief to let me go for a few hours, and then i sat in traffic due to a rollover for over an hour. i'm a volunteer at an ambulance corps so i was on call from 6am. when i went in to find out they did not even LOOK at the headlight, that pissed me off. and i may have over reacted, but i was beyond irate.

Devil, my dealership does not offer that, so i had to take it somewhere else. the problem is that the grill wasnt damaged or replaced. and i have the PDF of a TSB for this. the grill bubbling is a known problem. you can't argue that an accident caused it when you know that it is also caused without an accident
Old 12-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i'm glad that they are trying to make things right... if it doesn't work for you, then vote with your feet and go somewhere else...
Old 12-26-2012, 02:08 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
good to see the service manager is going to try and work with you. keep a steady head about you, i know it's frustrating as hell, but be absolutely explicit with what your expectations are without being mean or pissed. my SA always goes over the list of things that need to be done to the car whenever i go in with a laundry list so were both on the same page. it'll all work out. good luck!
Old 12-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Sounds like things got blown out of proportion because you were miffed about their missing some of the issues you came in for. Totally understandable. From my reading of your original posts, it souncds like they were going to look into the headlight, and they were going to goodwill your grille, when you decided to walk.

In this situation, it's better to be persistent but polite. At least they didn't tell you to go F yourself, which I have seen happen on more than one occasion. The good thing is that you chose to go to the service manager, and they indicated they are still willing to work with you. It would certainly be a shame to let a long-term relationship like you've had with this service department go to waste because of one situation that was already headed toward resolution.

I hope this gets worked out to your satisfaction.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
Even though I have a lot of friends in this field, I absolutely hate having to deal with a dealership for any service, even when its completely under warranty. I just dont trust leaving my car/truck at a big dealership where it can get in hands of everyone. ( I know people say this and that) but believe me, i've been around tons of dealerships and know everything that goes on.

I use to go to lunch with technicians from some dealerships while they were in customer's cars. even race em when out on test drives.
when shit happens, they'll try to figure out a way to hide it. if its impossible, then they're forced to tell you about it unless they have the time to fix it somehow.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
One time, these techs were horsing around in the quick lube area. one ended up slipping and banging his head into the quarter panel of the SUV and putting a big as dent in it, while the customer was in the waiting room. He then panicked and took the car back, started taking it apart from inside so he could access it and pop the dent back out. He then then put a screw driver through a hole, prying off of a seat belt mechanism and breaking that. This whole time the customer had no idea about it.

Luckily I was there and fixed it for them. he ran to the parts and got a new seatbelt and they put it under warranty. The customer was there for over an hour and they gave her some bull shit for why her car was taking so long. (sometime like they ordered a part and waiting for it)
Old 12-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Currently Post-Acura

Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts
I went to Ramsey Acura for service once and I wasn't impressed. It was just for an oil change on my CL and it wasn't what I expected at a premium dealership. As soon as I walked in, the service writer seems like I interrupted whatever he was doing on his computer and didn't really take me seriously, maybe because I was 17 at the time but that shouldn't matter when a customer is a customer. I don't know if it's all the same owner, but I've made several trips to Ramsey Infiniti and its been much better. I've gone for parts multiple times, and had to get my computer reprogrammed and the people in service were completely courteous and respectful (I actually may be making a trip there next week depending on what they will charge me for a front wheel alignment and rotation). Still, could be different owner and obviously different/better staff from one dealership to another
Old 12-31-2012, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Every dealer makes mistake, the important thing is to stay calm and see what they do to fix it. Give them time and if they don't fix it, move on to one that appreciates you business. Being hot headed just makes everyone go up on the defensive.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know much about the stealership world( hardly ever go there) but i'm surprised how comfortable they are about you modding a leased car. Doesn't a lease basically say "No its not your car but how much you $XX,XXX and i'll let you drive for X amount of years and you bring it back in the same condition."
Old 01-02-2013, 10:54 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
you can mod a leased car as long as you put it back to stock condition before you turn it in.

let us know how it goes with your stuff dave. keep us posted. has stu contacted you regarding any of this or no? does he know? not sure what he can do but yea...