Pickup driver tries to run motorcyclist off the road [**vid]

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Pickup driver tries to run motorcyclist off the road [**vid]

A motorcyclist in Bracken County, Kentucky, was out for a ride with a friend on a beautiful Sunday afternoon when he came up on a red�Ford F-150�with an ATV in the bed. The truck was moving at a slower speed than the motorcyclists, so the lead rider decided to pass. We're not going to try to defend the biker crossing in what is clearly a no-passing zone, but that doesn't excuse what happens next.

The driver of the pickup truck appears to swerve sharply in an attempt to run the motorcycle and its rider off the road. We're not mind readers, but there's little doubt that the driver's intent was to cause the rider to crash, or at least to scare the living daylights out of him. For the next several minutes, the pickup driver gives chase, using both his lane and that of oncoming traffic. At about 4:20 into the video, the pickup driver nearly hits another innocent motorcyclist head-on.

Finally, after about five minutes of hopelessly reckless driving, the pickup catches up to the lead motorcycle, who had stopped and dismounted at a stop sign. Confrontation time – with what appears to be a metal pipe in the hand of the pickup driver. As you would expect, a heated argument ensues in which the pickup driver somehow claims he's in the right and that he's – get this – allowed to drive like a maniac because he "grew up on these roads."
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/27/p...oad/#continued

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbTZk...layer_embedded
Old 05-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What the truck did was wrong... but the first bike did cross the line. Two wrongs don't make a right but the bike did make the first illegal maneuver. The guy in the truck just made the entire situation worse.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:30 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
the trucker was fked up. that's how i see this situation. even if you are pissed off, you don't try to kill someone. it didn't look like the bikers were trying to annoy the trucker neither. Crazy.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
The truck driver is 110% at fault. That is disgusting.

There is no reason to try to kill someone because they passed you in a no passing zone...when nobody else was around.

At the end of it all there are NO action that could justify the truck drivers actions in this instance.

Disgusting.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Whoa, that's friggen nuts!!! Truck driver is out of his mind,.......thank goodness no one was hurt/killed.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:45 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
WOW, some people can NOT let things go.

The bike was probably going a lot faster and would've been out of his sight in two seconds. Fucking let it go. Stupid ass truck driver, I hope he went to jail for that.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
WOW, some people can NOT let things go.

The bike was probably going a lot faster and would've been out of his sight in two seconds. Fucking let it go. Stupid ass truck driver, I hope he went to jail for that.
Yeap, even when you pass in a passing zone idk why people like get offended/stare or suddenly speed up. Whenever somebody passes me, I just maintain my speed and flash some high beams when its safe to return to the lane. Common courtesy is a bit too much these days.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
That type of manuver happens everyday on backroads by sportbike riders. It is illegal, but I didn't see where the guy in the truck had a badge or any authority to "enforce the law". In fact he broke the very same law several times in a fit of anger after the motorcyclist did. He reminds me of people who do the speed limit in the fast lane and refuse to yeild to faster traffic because theyare doing the speed limit.

Like Sclass88 said, I'm not condoning the actions of the motorcyclist but that was uncalled for. As a sportbike rider myself that one hit close to home as it looks similar to the backroads my friends and I like to ride.

The second motorcyclist should not have called the cops. He could have got his friend arrested for reckless driving, as well as himself, with that video. Two against one?! And the guy came out of his truck with a pipe in his hand? Can you say helmet beating?
Old 05-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
what was the outcome? ticket or arrest or nothing? Someone's gotta know.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, there goes my desire to ride a motorcycle again.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Meth is one helluva drug
Old 05-27-2011, 11:04 PM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Wow, complete disregard for another persons life is inexcusable... As others said, disgusting.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:38 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is hard to side with anyone in this video.

This is clearly a small rural residential area where there may be families or people seeking a quiet life, and residents should be justifiably upset with their roads being abused by bikers who tear down the road with little regard for those who live there. As seen in this video, the bikers were quite obviously speeding and driving carelessly. Wouldn't you be upset if your neighborhood was being used as a race track? I would be.

That being said, the truck driver was committing a greater offense by trying to run those cyclists off the road. That is more than just road rage, it is attempted vehicular manslaughter. A person like that has no more right to own a vehicle than a gun given that sort of temperament. It reminds me of the many times I have encountered road rage where people simply can't let things go and threaten your life with their vehicles. If I had to pick who to share the road with, reckless bikers or murderous drivers, I would rather pick the former.

Ultimately, law enforcement are to take the lion-share of the blame. Obviously since they have not enforced traffic laws sufficiently to keep bikers driving in a legal manner, locals, frustrated have taken to vigilante justice. Whether it is justified or not is something else.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^^
....and who pays the LEOs for additional enforcement in these days when tax revenue is lower in many areas? Just saying.

I would have called the cops if I were one of the riders. There is NO excuse for purposefully endangering someone else's life and limb like that.

Edit: "Reading is fundamental". On the video, one of the riders did call the cops. according to the linked article, the cops failed to respond. That is bad on the local LEOs. Carry on!

Last edited by neuronbob; 05-28-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,182 Likes on 690 Posts
Wow, that is hard to say what would have happened in the cops showed. Clearly, the bikes were speeding and crossing the line but God dude, let it go. What the hell was he thinking when he swerved all the way into that guy. I can't imagine that both parties wouldn't have been arrested and if someone tried to kill someone like the biker clearly told the police, why didn't they show?

Edit - Apparently, the cops are working on it and the pass doesn't seem to bother them. StratsRR is apparently one of the riders

http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showt...l=1#post302306

Last edited by 1StGenCL; 05-28-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:31 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i hope the po-po lock him up for attempted homicide.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:14 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by moog-type-s
the truck driver is 110% at fault. That is disgusting.

There is no reason to try to kill someone because they passed you in a no passing zone...when nobody else was around.

At the end of it all there are no action that could justify the truck drivers actions in this instance.

Disgusting.

[/thread]
Old 05-28-2011, 11:41 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
That was just amazingly wrong. I don't condone the sport bikes riding fast and passing on a double yellow, but the pickup truck driver should have been arrested.

Fortunately I've never had any experience in my riding.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Fucking hell.

No, the bike shouldn't have crossed the double yellow, but the truck just should have let them go. The truck driver took it personally when he shouldn't have. I hope he loses his license.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,394 Likes on 4,939 Posts
Ive been following this on a Triumph forum Im on, and one of the members there claims to be friends with the rider on the camera bike. According to him, the pickup driver was arrested for reckless driving, DUI and the DA is using the video to consider reckless endangerment and possibly attempted murder charges. I can't find a source for that however.

I saw the video a few days ago, and I dont remember at which point, but the driver nearly hits two or three bikes head-on while he was driving on the wrong side of the road. That just shows his carelessness. This wasn't an issue of him vs the bike that passed him. He had absolutely zero care as to who else he could have injured in that situation.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:15 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Yup, truck was being a douche. That being said, i hate bikers. Too many idiots on bikes.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,394 Likes on 4,939 Posts
Originally Posted by stangg172004
Yup, truck was being a douche. That being said, i hate bikers. Too many idiots on bikes.
Thats a shitty generalization and Im sorry you feel that way.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:45 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can assure you, the feeling is mutual. We are not ALL idiots anymore than EVERY Acurzine member is like you...thank god...

Actually, those bikers in that video WERE idiots. They initiated it with an illegal pass and an excessive rate of speed. No doubt the trucker got tired of their act (likely every weekend) and decided incorrectly to do something about it.

I can see the bikers...Yes officer we have him on tape...Officer reviews tape and gives them ALL tickets...
Old 05-29-2011, 01:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts

Funny............., each time I'm on my bike and I see a car move into my lane and try to occupy the same space I'm in, I say the same thing about automobile drivers. Each time I'm sitting at a light and someone comes flying up behind me in their car, stopping mere inches from my rear wheel I also think the same. And I especially think the same each time a motorist looks directly at me, automatically assuming that although I have the right of way, my bike somehow negates this and he can do what he pleases. Yeah, we motorcyclists have it easy.

Terry
Old 05-29-2011, 03:08 AM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Hey Stanng, do you own a huge red truck?

Fucking idiot.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:15 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Too many idiots in Stangs. I hate them.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:43 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
even if the bikers were the biggest dicks on the road, attempted murder is a bit much. op of the youtube vid posted more info
Old 05-29-2011, 04:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
and the douchebag of the year goes too...
Old 05-29-2011, 04:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
at the people trying to defend the truck driver.

He didn't just try to kill somebody for passing him, he also tried to kill 3 other bikers in the oncoming lane.

That is assuming he has the IQ to realize that his truck making contact with a Biker at those speeds would most likely kill on impact.

And no, the Bikers illegal passing maneuver is not even in the same league as the truckers illegal maneuvers.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Shift_Acura

He didn't just try to kill somebody for passing him, he also tried to kill 3 other bikers in the oncoming lane.

That is assuming he has the IQ to realize that his truck making contact with a Biker at those speeds would most likely kill on impact.

And no, the Bikers illegal passing maneuver is not even in the same league as the truckers illegal maneuvers.

all of you act like you've never broken laws which I would find very hard to believe.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura

Originally Posted by speedemon90

all of you act like you've never broken laws which I would find very hard to believe.

While the biker Should be cited for passing where he shouldnt have, the truck driver should never have done what he did. He could have killed more than just the biker he was chasing. The way he was all over the road he could have taken out a innocent family spending so much time in the other lane. I hope he spends much time in jail for it. His actions were uncalled for.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,182 Likes on 690 Posts
While stanngs comment is over the top, there are a good number of sport riders that do insanely dangerous, uncalled for things and feel invisable. I had an R6 and loved it and did dumb things as well but I get really pissed when someone splits lanes and scares the hell out of me. God forbid he misjudges and hits me, now I have a death on my conscious. Granted, i would never purposely indanger a biker, they are doing it just fine on their own.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was some video but clearly no one was in the right here. The idea of someone using his car/truck/whatever to endanger another persons life is beyond my comprehension.

Having said that though I will also say that those motorcyclists were clearly riding far above a reasonable speed ! and as such they are for me the typical dickhead sportbike riders that seem to feel every road with a curve in it is their personal racetrack.

Two wrongs do not make it right !!

Jens
Old 05-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
The truck driver was attempting to kill someone...because he got passed? That's fucking stupid.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Jens Heydel
That was some video but clearly no one was in the right here. The idea of someone using his car/truck/whatever to endanger another persons life is beyond my comprehension.

Having said that though I will also say that those motorcyclists were clearly riding far above a reasonable speed ! and as such they are for me the typical dickhead sportbike riders that seem to feel every road with a curve in it is their personal racetrack.

Two wrongs do not make it right !!

Jens
So you've never driven your car over the speed limit or decided to have a little fun on public roads? Since you're part of a car forum I have to doubt that. Plus, its not like these guys are splitting lanes on a congested freeway, the biker just passed a truck (granted over a solid yellow, OMG!!!) on a back country road. And, maybe these bikers were riding faster than normal because some dude was trying to kill them! That would be a good enough incentive for me to get on the accelerator and take corners like I'm at Laguna Seca.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by madcaps
So you've never driven your car over the speed limit or decided to have a little fun on public roads? Since you're part of a car forum I have to doubt that. Plus, its not like these guys are splitting lanes on a congested freeway, the biker just passed a truck (granted over a solid yellow, OMG!!!) on a back country road. And, maybe these bikers were riding faster than normal because some dude was trying to kill them! That would be a good enough incentive for me to get on the accelerator and take corners like I'm at Laguna Seca.
and to add to the fact that the road looked really empty, and it looks like a good road. I bet everyone who posted here, if they were put on that road they would have a nice grin on their face while speeding through it. I know I would. And I do it on the backroads here. Call me whatever you want, but I like to have fun. Driving would be extremely boring following all the rules. And I dont have the money or a car in great of a condition to visit a track right now.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Derp!! Hurr!! Durr!! Derpp!!

Yeah.. a moving violation and attempting to kill someone is so alike.

In my neck of the woods, called sanity, you call the police on people driving dangerously until the police start to show up and patrol said area to hand out tickets, impound vehicles, and clamp down on this type of activity.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
From what I could see, the motorcyclist pretty much pulled away from the guy in the truck. Why not just turn off of the road once he was out of sight. Obviously the guy in the truck was not playing with a full deck... so why even risk a confrontation with him? Just lose him and meet up with your friend later.

BTW, anyone else think the roof of that house around :44 looked like a jump in the road?
Old 05-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow they were all going waay too fast for that road.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:22 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
Wow they were all going waay too fast for that road.
at least 33% over.

Quick Reply: Pickup driver tries to run motorcyclist off the road [**vid]