Photo enforced

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photo enforced

I floored it on a light that turned yellow, probably went from 40 to 60 in that intersection but the stupid yellow lasts like 1.5 seconds. anyways where is the sensor for those traps? would it be at the start line? because i think the light turned red when i was about 80% through. really worried. i dont need a ticket. Also, im thinking the camera faces the other way in the intersection and not the direction i was going. help?
Old 06-02-2007, 07:59 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
The cops review all of the pictures before sending out citations. You might get lucky.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Advanced

alright update, i just drove by there and i didnt see a camera facing the rear of my car and i saw a camera facing the opposite direction i was going. but the strange thing is that it said "photo enforced" on signs in both directions. ideas?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by danish
alright update, i just drove by there and i didnt see a camera facing the rear of my car and i saw a camera facing the opposite direction i was going. but the strange thing is that it said "photo enforced" on signs in both directions. ideas?
Yeah, don't do 60 through an intersection. Sorry, but that is just plain stupid.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Advanced

no , i floored it to make it through the intersection and reached 60.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Terigan...

no , i floored it to make it through the intersection and reached 60.
Okay... then just slow down and stop.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:18 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by furious1smitul
Okay... then just slow down and stop.

That way you don't have to worry about red light tickets.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by subinf
That way you don't have to worry about red light tickets.
Or running over some kid that crosses the road a little early.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Racer

If you get a ticket in the mail, then you deserve it. Maybe it'll teach you not to race lights anymore.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:28 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
Or running over some kid that crosses the road a little early.

But that way the kid learns not to cross the street early.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Advanced

OR you guys can just understand they could have rigged that light, the yellow is too short. makes you think you can make it. even if i reached that intersection when it just turned yellow and i was going 40, i didnt make it. its like it just being a red because running that yellow basically means running a red. a yellow is not a red. thats stupid so dont try to teach me a lesson.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Suzuka Master

OR you guys can just understand they could have rigged that light, the yellow is too short. makes you think you can make it. even if i reached that intersection when it just turned yellow and i was going 40, i didnt make it. its like it just being a red because running that yellow basically means running a red. a yellow is not a red. thats stupid so dont try to teach me a lesson.
You're kidding right? I don't care if the light was yellow, red, purple, blue. You sped up to 60 mph to get through an intersection. That is S-T-U-P-I-D. I mean seriously, read what you just typed. Can you see any logic in that at all. Any?
Old 06-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Did you even pay attention in Driver's Ed? The yellow light means "slow down", not "hurry up and beat the light."
Old 06-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Do the crime, pay the fine... it's that simple...

I love it when n00bs post threads like this... ahh... I've seen so many of these over the years...

The yellow light doesn't mean speed up, the light is about to change ??
Old 06-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster

I love it when n00bs post threads like this... ahh... I've seen so many of these over the years...

It's like that Asian lady from Gone in 60 Seconds..."When you are being tailgated, you are supposed to speed up!"

I see bad things happening to AZ in the years to come...

Last edited by AMGala; 06-02-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:41 PM
06 GBM AT TSX + 35% TINT

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
You're kidding right? I don't care if the light was yellow, red, purple, blue. You sped up to 60 mph to get through an intersection. That is S-T-U-P-I-D. I mean seriously, read what you just typed. Can you see any logic in that at all. Any?

Hey don't call him stupid. Read OP's previous comment. The lights are RIGGED!!!!

Hey Danish, The last time I got a ticket for rigged yellow light,
I went to the court and I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
And said you're moving with your aunte and uncle in bel-air
I whistled for a cab and when it came near the
License plate said fresh and had a dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought now forget it, yo home to bel-air

I pulled up to a house about seven or eight
And I yelled to the cabby yo, home smell you later
Looked at my kingdom I was finally there
To settle my throne as the prince of bel-air
Old 06-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Confused Maxima Owner

Hrm, well when that happend to sum1 I knew he CLAIMED there was a jaywalker which made him stop in the intersection but those photo enforcement guys have a VIDEO of the actual light running which just showed him flooring it thru the intersection, i literally laughed as he tried to fight it in court, it was sooo bad, they put it in slow-mo and well i almost got kicked out for laughing. Just watch the video, on the website he showed me we were able to play it in super slow-mo to see when the light turned red and where the car was at the time, it's pretty cool.... or not.... don't run red lights.... wait i'm 17 I highly doubt any1 is going to listen to me.... meh.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
I've read on many sites that the camera only snaps a pic if the driver is crosses the line AFTER the light has already turned red. According to this, if he was in the intersection while the light was still yellow, he was not flashed.

I never tested this theory out though because I don't make habit of flooring it going 60 MPH through an intersection to beat a light. A few minutes of lost time is a heck of a lot better than a ticket, and higher insurance for the next 3 years, or worse, killing someone.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:45 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
I've read on many sites that the camera only snaps a pic if the driver is crosses the line AFTER the light has already turned red. According to this, if he was in the intersection while the light was still yellow, he was not flashed.

I never tested this theory out though because I don't make habit of flooring it going 60 MPH through an intersection to beat a light. A few minutes of lost time is a heck of a lot better than a ticket, and higher insurance for the next 3 years, or worse, killing someone.

Thats what I've heard as well, although in SF I've had the camera go off when I've stopped at the line. never received a ticket though, because they can see that the car didn't go through.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Advanced

alright i dont think you have the story right. i met the intersection just as it turned yellow. if i slammed the brakes, i would have stopped in the middle of the intersection. but i knew it was a photo light so i floored it instead. didnt want to take chances of just keeping my speed. when i said i got to 60, i was probably exaggerating to see your responses in a worst case scenerio. i was probably 50+ when i got to other end. im trying to tell you people that the yellow light on this light is not fair. are you telling me to slam brakes when i reach the light as it turns yellow, because that makes no freaking sense. i would be stopped in the middle of the intersection. CAN ANYONE FREAKING UNDERSTAND THIS STORY and know its not a case of running a light?!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

alright i dont think you have the story right. i met the intersection just as it turned yellow. if i slammed the brakes, i would have stopped in the middle of the intersection. but i knew it was a photo light so i floored it instead. didnt want to take chances of just keeping my speed. when i said i got to 60, i was probably exaggerating to see your responses in a worst case scenerio. i was probably 50+ when i got to other end. im trying to tell you people that the yellow light on this light is not fair. are you telling me to slam brakes when i reach the light as it turns yellow, because that makes no freaking sense. i would be stopped in the middle of the intersection. CAN ANYONE FREAKING UNDERSTAND THIS STORY and know its not a case of running a light?!
Give up dude. You're just digging your hole deeper. I have to say, now that you let us know you were probably only going 50+ and not 60, well now it just seems sooooo much safer.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:02 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
First of all if in fact this light is rigged your not the only person that will challenge this in court many people will and the city that your in will see a pattern and most likely reverse those tickets if they find that to be true or you could time it yourself and compare it to other lights and if thats the case it will be thrown out. Its has happened before in several cities. Secondly I don't know what city your in but I'm in L.A. and a lot of intersections have a countdown at the crosswalk that let you know how many seconds you have before the light will change and if you were at the intersection when it turned yellow than 1.5 seconds is enough to get to the other side if your doing 40 but if your not at the intersection and just approaching then its not enough time and you should just stop.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Advanced

yea the light turned yellow just as i got to it. not before i got there. save a few, most of you guys are stupid and refuse to read what im saying with an open mind. thanks and keep talking if you guys wants but i learned what i needed.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

yea the light turned yellow just as i got to it. not before i got there. save a few, most of you guys are stupid and refuse to read what im saying with an open mind. thanks and keep talking if you guys wants but i learned what i needed.

Yeah, we're the stupid ones you tard. Go have fun killing some innocent people speeding around like that.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Confused Maxima Owner

I love how everyone is on ur ass danish like they've never ever ran a red light before (quite familiar to to when every1 was on my ass about street racing like they've never raced any1 before).

Dude just plain and simple, you knew if you ran the light or not, just watch the vid and proceed accordingly.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:17 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
you will be fine so no need to be all worried.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:35 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I floored it on a light that turned yellow, probably went from 40 to 60 in that intersection but the stupid yellow lasts like 1.5 seconds. anyways where is the sensor for those traps? would it be at the start line? because i think the light turned red when i was about 80% through. really worried. i dont need a ticket. Also, im thinking the camera faces the other way in the intersection and not the direction i was going. help?
if u didnt see a flash then ur good.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Advanced

yea aackshun, everyone heres ran a red but for some reason everyone is trying to tell me im some kind of crazy reckless driver. yea i found out that though the signs in both directions say "photo enforced intersetion", its only photo enforced in the other direction. so im good. im just pissed that people are saying im speeding and driving around and risking peoples lives. if someone decides to jump in the middle of a street and j walk, then sucks for them. as for other drivers, i was through the intersection before the other side turned green. so chill out with your exaggerations. i can get enough of then in arguments with my little brother.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Advanced

alright my mistake for noticing but the last few replies have been educated and helpful and not offensive. thanks for advice.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:58 AM
The Boss

Originally Posted by GreenMonster

Well Said John, well said.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Advanced

ok boostedjack, ill say it for you once more, in case you missed it the first time. i hit the intersection just as it turned yellow and i know its a photo enforced light so i didnt want to take chances, thats why i sped up. TO ME, THE YELLOW LIGHT FREAKING MEANS SPEED UP IF YOU GET TO A PHOTO ENFORCED LIGHT JUST AS IT TURNS YELLOW AND HAVE 0 SPACE TO STOP.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

TO ME, THE YELLOW LIGHT FREAKING MEANS SPEED UP IF YOU GET TO A PHOTO ENFORCED LIGHT JUST AS IT TURNS YELLOW AND HAVE 0 SPACE TO STOP.
I'll put this in caps so maybe YOU pay attention to something someone else says.

THAT IS WHY EVERYONE IS SAYING THAT YOU ARE DANGEROUS OR JUST PLAIN STUPID. YELLOW DOES NOT MEAN SPEED UP. GO GRAB A DRIVING SCHOOL BOOK AND RESTUDY. MAYBE YOU WILL FIND THERE WHAT THOSE LITTLE LIGHTS AT INTERSECTIONS MEAN.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:55 PM
One on the right for me

yellow means speed up depending on where you are in relation to the intersection. I don't know if I've made a 20mph increase in my speed, but there are plenty of times I don't brake if it turns yellow. Just gotta explain it better and leave out info that opens you up to criticism
Old 06-09-2007, 03:21 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
You get a ticket if you enter the intersection AFTER the light turns RED.

Think about it, if you are in the intersection with a YELLOW light, what law have you broken? Running a yellow light? Duh!

Sometimes you get caught in no-mans land with a light change; happens to everybody.

If you are driving "right", you should be able to maintain constant speed and be well inside (or clear of) the intersection BEFORE the light turns red. If you have to speed up to make the light, you should stop.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 06-09-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Intermediate

Exactly what bearcat said. If you hit the intersection right when the light turns yellow then obviously your not running a red light. You shouldnt even have to speed up. Going 50+mph through the intersection you would make it through in less than a second. I find it hard to believe that a yellow light can change that fast to red.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
Smile Fought the RLC ticket and won!

I did a search and found this thread. I received a Red Light Ticket back in October 07, fought it through written declaration and just won today! I don't run red lights normally but I did once at a photo enforced intersection with my family in the car. The late time was just .25 seconds into the Red making a left turn. I was out of the intersection before any opposing traffic got their green and there was a car behind me that did concern me regarding getting rear-ended. The speed limit was 50mph so there was not a lot of time to make a decision when you're in the 'delemma' zone when the yellow light starts.

In fighting this ticket, my defense was simple: I did not refute the fact of running the red light. My main argument was that yellow light intervals very greatly across intersections as well as left .vs. straights. In fact, the yellow light interval was much shorter for left turns (like I was doing) as opposed to straights.

I never realized this until I videoed intersections and noticed this being the case. Many drivers may assume the yellow will be longer because it is on intersections that they travel more frequent on. I then compared the numbers for the intersection I got the ticket on versus other intersections within a mile of this one. I made a grid of speed limit direction, left yellow time, straight yellow time and so forth. What this data showed was that if I was at a non-photo enforced intersection I would not have run the red light because those intersections had upwards of a second longer yellow interval time.

I'm not advocating pushing yellow lights at all, but you can feel like a fool stopping when there is a couple seconds left on a yellow sometimes. I am now much more cautious with Yellows and don't push left turns like I use to. This ticket did affect my driving behavior and served its purpose.

My advice to anyone with a RLC ticket with a time < .3 seconds is to try fighting it with a written declaration first - you might actually win! You simply write your case and send deliver it to court. I delivered this declaration over two months ago so even if you're guilty you'll at least delay the verdict a little bit. If you feel up to the fight you can always go to court for a real trial. I'm no lawyer but my research showed that cities are making a boatload off those cameras and that safety is not always the cities main motivation. Some cities have intentionally narrowed the yellow light interval in hopes of bolstering revenue.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All lights should be yellow....everyone would drive so much faster...
Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Yeah this holier-than-thou mock outrage is quite amusing (it only took a couple of posts for somebody to play the "what about the children" card). Seriously, lighten up.

While I agree that speeding up to beat a yellow is a poor choice, I am not going to slam on my brakes and risk losing control just to stop for a light that I'd never make anyway. Simply put the yellows should be at least long enough to allow traffic past the point of no return to get through the intersection....
Old 01-31-2008, 11:33 PM
Back in a TL again.

if you get a ticket all you have to say you let your family borrow the car several people used it.....if its not registered to you then have the person call and tell them they where never their my gf gets these every so often there is 6 on one street.....
Old 01-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
The cops review all of the pictures before sending out citations. You might get lucky.

Not cops; contractors like Lockheed Martin.

Quick Reply: Photo enforced