Paying near MSRP on a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Paying near MSRP on a new car?

Well, I went to the Toyota dealship today at lunch to check out the new Camry Hybrid. The dealership only had two on the lot and looking around at others' online inventory, that seems to be about average. I test drove a Sand colored one and I really liked it. Basically, the only option it had was Leather- which I want. I don't want a sunroof because I never use it and I lose about 2 inches of headroom (which is already tight at 6'4").

Anyways, I was dealing with the Internet sales manager since I had my work badge on. He told me he would sell me the Hybrid for MSRP. Right now there is a $2000 markup for everyone else.

Do you guys think I'll be able to talk him down furthur? I didn't want to pay more than 26K for the car and the MSRP is about 29K.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:53 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
What can you get a similary equipped 4 cylinder or V6 Camry for? I'd start there.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Because of our EPP, I can get an LE at $250 above invoice, SE at $350 above invoice, or XLE at $750 over invoice. This is all without haggle. My question is- are these discounts negotiable?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything is negotiable.

Then again they don't have to give you anything but what is stated in your EPP.

Hybrid camry is probably pretty hot right now (as shown by the 2k over price you mentioned). Seriously doubt you will get much off sticker on it.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:20 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
hybrids go for about 3-5 over sticker here in LA...cock suckers.

oddly enough...one dealer i went to was NOT marking up the hybird highlander...just the prius and camry.

and lexus does not mark up their hybrids (or any of their other cars) because coprorate will piss all over them if they do.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Everyday Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highlander Hybrids are probably not marked up b/c they're not selling. I was at a dealership in Richmond and they had 6 or 7 on their lot.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:14 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
its going to be hard to get a hybrid below msrp. all the dealerships around here are also marking them up, and there is a long ass wait list for some of the cars...good luck with it though
Old 06-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

I refuse to pay msrp on any car. Look at some vw diesel's also
Old 06-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gdubb
I refuse to pay msrp on any car.
Give it a couple months and then go get one.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Ashburner
Well, I went to the Toyota dealship today at lunch to check out the new Camry Hybrid. The dealership only had two on the lot and looking around at others' online inventory, that seems to be about average. I test drove a Sand colored one and I really liked it. Basically, the only option it had was Leather- which I want. I don't want a sunroof because I never use it and I lose about 2 inches of headroom (which is already tight at 6'4").

Anyways, I was dealing with the Internet sales manager since I had my work badge on. He told me he would sell me the Hybrid for MSRP. Right now there is a $2000 markup for everyone else.

Do you guys think I'll be able to talk him down furthur? I didn't want to pay more than 26K for the car and the MSRP is about 29K.

It's a hot car, you might be able to get a little under MSRP, but don't count on it.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Cruisin'

Here in SoCal, if you pay MSRP for a Hybrid, you got it cheaper than most.
Most SoCal Toyota dealerships still have waiting lists for that car.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LivnLegend
Here in SoCal, if you pay MSRP for a Hybrid, you got it cheaper than most.
Most SoCal Toyota dealerships still have waiting lists for that car.
I'm in Texas!!! I think there is still a waiting list for the 1995 Dodge Ram here.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:22 PM
go like hell

paying MSRP or over MSRP or even kind of close to MSRP is stupid in my opinion. unless you REALLY need a car you have time on your side. the sales person has to sell so many cars or trucks per month in order to hold their job. if they aren't making their amount they 'll say "Look Mr or Mrs. (insert last name here) i'm been running some numbers and i think we can get you in to a (insert make and model here) for the amount you wanted. if your still looking can you please come down to the dealership."
the other thing you got going for you is most dealerships like to "churn inventory." meaning if cars are sitting on lots and not moving customers like to drive by and see different models,colors,options,etc. If the same cars are sitting out there for months on end it tells you 2 things #1. they won't deal #2. they don't don't have the volume to deal. there's a Ford dealer about an hour from here he's one of the largest Ford dealers in the state of Ohio he has at least 200 F-150 to F-350 and his inventory changes every week. the dude sells a TON of trucks.
Bottom line:shop around if you gotta drive 2-3 or even 1/2 day drive do it cause local dealers don't have you by the nuts
Old 06-22-2006, 12:26 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Water-S
paying MSRP or over MSRP or even kind of close to MSRP is stupid in my opinion. unless you REALLY need a car you have time on your side. the sales person has to sell so many cars or trucks per month in order to hold their job. if they aren't making their amount they 'll say "Look Mr or Mrs. (insert last name here) i'm been running some numbers and i think we can get you in to a (insert make and model here) for the amount you wanted. if your still looking can you please come down to the dealership."
the other thing you got going for you is most dealerships like to "churn inventory." meaning if cars are sitting on lots and not moving customers like to drive by and see different models,colors,options,etc. If the same cars are sitting out there for months on end it tells you 2 things #1. they won't deal #2. they don't don't have the volume to deal. there's a Ford dealer about an hour from here he's one of the largest Ford dealers in the state of Ohio he has at least 200 F-150 to F-350 and his inventory changes every week. the dude sells a TON of trucks.
Bottom line:shop around if you gotta drive 2-3 or even 1/2 day drive do it cause local dealers don't have you by the nuts

that doesnt really apply if you want a hybrid since they are in huge demand. most dealers cant keep them on their lots for a reasonable amount of time.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by subinf
that doesnt really apply if you want a hybrid since they are in huge demand. most dealers cant keep them on their lots for a reasonable amount of time.
That doesn't apply if you want anything desirable period.

Hot cars are not given away, if you're lucky $1k-$2k off.

If you don't want a hot in demand car, you'll get a great discount.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
you might get discount on other hybrid cars ... not much but it is still possible

Prius and Camry hybrid will be almost impossible to get any discount....

HIGH Demand/Low supply = unreasonable high price.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Water-S
If the same cars are sitting out there for months on end it tells you 2 things #1. they won't deal #2. they don't don't have the volume to deal. there's a Ford dealer about an hour from here he's one of the largest Ford dealers in the state of Ohio he has at least 200 F-150 to F-350 and his inventory changes every week. the dude sells a TON of trucks.
Can I subscribe to your email newsletter? This stuff is fascinating!
Old 06-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

My brother-in-law just bought a Camry LX V6 with the JBL/Blue Tooth option at MSRP price for 26K.

That's very smart.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:04 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think the Camry hybrid is worth the premium. It would take something like 100,000+ miles to recoup the added cost, so what's the point?
Old 06-24-2006, 07:17 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
To quote C&D's June 06 review: "Although Toyota has not yet released Camry hybrid prices, we expect you’ll have to drive some six-digit distance to save enough gas to pay back the extra cost."

To quote CNNMoney.com: Gas-electric hybrid vehicles are good for the planet but bad for the wallet, according to a report Wednesday. The analysis, by Edmunds.com for USA Today, said the cost for advanced technology isn't completely offset by gas savings and federal tax credits over the five years that owners typically keep their vehicles.

The study showed that in most cases, an owner would have to drive a hybrid tens of thousands of extra miles a year, or gasoline would have to hit much higher levels, to reach a break-even point with a comparable gas-powered model.

From smartmoney.com: Here's some more bad news. The folks at Edmunds.com predict that hybrids will depreciate faster than other models. Why? Auto makers are improving the hybrid powertrain so quickly that it's unlikely that in a few years a driver in the used-car market will want to purchase a hybrid with early technology. Already it's pretty hard to see why someone would buy a 2003 Toyota Prius when they could have the 2004 model, which handles better, has more power and gets much better mileage.
__________________________________________________ ____

And MY advice? Just wait, or get a conventional economy car and change your driving habits. The dealer would LOVE to whip you into a froth to make a huge profit.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fast-tl
I don't think the Camry hybrid is worth the premium. It would take something like 100,000+ miles to recoup the added cost, so what's the point?
I just like the technology of it and how it drives. A Ford Focus will get me from point A to point B... I just don't like it With the commute I have now, 100K miles will be in 3 years. Will the batteries last that long? dunno
Old 06-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fast-tl
To quote C&D's June 06 review: "Although Toyota has not yet released Camry hybrid prices, we expect you’ll have to drive some six-digit distance to save enough gas to pay back the extra cost."

To quote CNNMoney.com: Gas-electric hybrid vehicles are good for the planet but bad for the wallet, according to a report Wednesday. The analysis, by Edmunds.com for USA Today, said the cost for advanced technology isn't completely offset by gas savings and federal tax credits over the five years that owners typically keep their vehicles.

The study showed that in most cases, an owner would have to drive a hybrid tens of thousands of extra miles a year, or gasoline would have to hit much higher levels, to reach a break-even point with a comparable gas-powered model.

From smartmoney.com: Here's some more bad news. The folks at Edmunds.com predict that hybrids will depreciate faster than other models. Why? Auto makers are improving the hybrid powertrain so quickly that it's unlikely that in a few years a driver in the used-car market will want to purchase a hybrid with early technology. Already it's pretty hard to see why someone would buy a 2003 Toyota Prius when they could have the 2004 model, which handles better, has more power and gets much better mileage.
__________________________________________________ ____

And MY advice? Just wait, or get a conventional economy car and change your driving habits. The dealer would LOVE to whip you into a froth to make a huge profit.

I agree with these points and especially the last one. Then again, I build a new PC every year or so- I know about technology depreciation.