Paint sealant, what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 04:39 PM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint sealant, what is it?

My local dealer received 4 TLs today. I stopped by for a look and noticed that the price showed $33150 plus $579 for options. The options were wheel locks and paint sealant.

Paint sealant sounds like some big scam to me. What is it? I assume it's not clear-coat. If it wasn't put on at the factory then I assume it's not essential for the life or looks of the vehicle. Is this a good assumption?

-phil
Old 10-01-2003, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Re: Paint sealant, what is it?

Originally posted by PhilB
My local dealer received 4 TLs today. I stopped by for a look and noticed that the price showed $33150 plus $579 for options. The options were wheel locks and paint sealant.

Paint sealant sounds like some big scam to me. What is it? I assume it's not clear-coat. If it wasn't put on at the factory then I assume it's not essential for the life or looks of the vehicle. Is this a good assumption?

-phil
Great assumption.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I hate dealers that dump this kind of crap on their customers. I go out of my way to deal with those that don't force accessories and bogus 'protection packages' down your throat.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:54 PM
Instructor

It's a scam. So is document preparation. So is an extended warranty. So is anything with the words premium or membership.

Dealers who try this should by boycotted.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:56 PM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Originally posted by lsbuffs
I hate dealers that dump this kind of crap on their customers. I go out of my way to deal with those that don't force accessories and bogus 'protection packages' down your throat.
Protection package - that's exaclty what they called it on the sticker.

-phil
Old 10-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Race Director

Someone explain to me what that is?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:17 PM
6th Gear

Most dealers will put wheel locks mud guards and a Acura trunk tray on the vehicles. This is known as the Acura protection package. They are all official Acura products. It is not required but Acura highly recomends there dealers install these items (both acura dealers ive worked for did and almost all the dealers we get trades from do it). But be warned if you want a under body spoiler the mud guards usualy don't work (i dont know about the 04 tl). Most customers like them. For me the wheel locks are a must. People here like to "borrow" things.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Racer

Originally posted by HorHay
People here like to "borrow" things.
And never return them ....
Old 10-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Advanced

I've heard that the wheel locks actually come with all of the '03 TLs. Mine had the wheel locks on the car, and another set still in the package in the trunk. Some dealers, the honest ones, just include them, others try to sell them as part of a package.

The sealant is a joke. It costs the dealer practically nothing, and everything that I've read says nothing you put on the paint will proctect it for much more than 6 months. You are actually just buying an insurance policy that covers the paint job.

It's bad enough that dealers do this on cars that ultimately will get some sort of a discount, but adding this crap on a car that they will probably want MSRP is almost criminal.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:33 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paint sealent = wax. You can do it yourself. But if you are too lazy go ahead and get them to do it.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Yep, thats what my dealer said...$595 or something like that for the protection package! Paint sealent, locks, trunk tray and a stripe down the side! I told him I did not want any of it and he said its got to be put on there---Bullshit!!! I can buy the wheel locks and tray for a hell of a lot less that 600.00 dollors. I dont give a crap about the stripe! So When the time comes Im telling him no sale if it has the protection bullshit package on it!
Old 10-01-2003, 09:38 PM
Advanced

OK paint sealant ISNT wax.
Its a fiberglass, Teflon, Polymer, "coating" that is applied to the paint. Done properly it is light years ahead of a wax job, but is usually way overpriced.
If it was priced at < $200 I would not hesitate to get this done, over that forget it.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:43 PM
Race Director

So its polymer? Isn't it like Zaino than?

Can you Wax on top of this Paint Sealant?

And will dove or Dishwashing liquid remove this sealant?
Old 10-01-2003, 09:50 PM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Most dealers will put wheel locks mud guards and a Acura trunk tray on the vehicles. This is known as the Acura protection package.
The first place I looked on the net had the locks, mud guards and trunk tray for $175, vs the $293 that Acura is listing them at.

I'll let my dealer know that I don't need the protection package.

After adding mud guards to my Ody I think I can handle these on an Acura.

-phil
Old 10-01-2003, 09:51 PM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Thanks everybody for the replies. It's nice to be able to go into a dealer with some information under my belt.

-phil
Old 10-01-2003, 10:00 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by 2004TL
So its polymer? Isn't it like Zaino than?

Can you Wax on top of this Paint Sealant?

And will dove or Dishwashing liquid remove this sealant?
No its not a polymer; its a combination of Polymer / Teflon / Fibreglass.
Its not like Zaino, in the sense its NOT recommended to put ANYTHING on top of the "paint protection" (why would you bother)
I cant see how Dove could remove it if it has fiberglass in it.
Where I live; these paint protection treatments are sold for about $800 which is way too much. They do have a LIFETIME warrentee though and if you have any problems with it you can take it back for a touch up.
I have seen a 7 year old car that has had this done and the paint looked and felt like my zainoed Honda Accord Euro (aka TSX) but it had been well looked after. (washed every week etc,)
Paint treatment is not recommended for people that need the Sunday morning bonding / zaino session with their TSX.
Also be warned. NOT all paint treatments are the same. Ask for technical details on the product they want to sell you, and ask for a legitimate reason on why you should buy it, and get it all in writing including any warrantee, and lastly read all the supplied documentation to determine if its worth the money they are asking. Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:25 PM
Race Director

So Falco What are you saying?

Are you saying that You should get this Sealant if you plan on Zaino'ing or waxing?
Old 10-01-2003, 10:28 PM
6th Gear

Also Phil please note that the dealer will more than likely put this Pro Pack on all the vehicles. If you realy dont want it then you will more then likely have to reserve a inbound one. The 300 dollar price seems fair to me. The dealer isnt making a killing on you. But the techs in the back and the parts guys are making money (a little bit) It keeps people workin!

FYI this car is sick. (one of my fellow salesperson keeps saying that, he is right). The DVD-A system rocks. Now if our friends in torance would give us a AWD 300+ hp version. Psha!
Old 10-01-2003, 10:43 PM
Instructor

-phil
My Honda dealer put a protection package on my 98 Honda. I negotiated it out of the price. However, It included paint and leather protection (whatever that is - probably wax and some leather conditioner). The good point was that it included unlimited car washes for a year and reapplication of the paint & leather protection for 4 more years. The paint and leather protection was more like a partial detail and made the car look like new. The place that did the work charged $100 - $150 for the annual treatment if you walked in off the street and requested the same deal.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:59 AM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

Also Phil please note that the dealer will more than likely put this Pro Pack on all the vehicles. If you realy dont want it then you will more then likely have to reserve a inbound one. The 300 dollar price seems fair to me. The dealer isnt making a killing on you. But the techs in the back and the parts guys are making money (a little bit) It keeps people workin!
I can put the locks, liner and mud guards on in about 20 minutes and it would save me over $100.

Sorry, but I don't give my money away just so someone can have a job.

If the dealer insists on including those then I would offer him $300 including the paint sealer. If he won't go for that then he loses my business. Fortunately we have 4 Acura dealers in the area.

-phil
Old 10-02-2003, 11:43 AM
My other "car" is a 4x4

According to what I've heard/read/researched, the "paint sealant" (typically Perma-Plate) is something like Zaino, except with a lifetime warranty. I visited an independent auto detailing shop and was quoted $500 for a Perma-Plate application. The dealer was charging something similar.

As has been noted above, if you intend to regularly apply Zaino (or some other type of polymer-based paint protector) and use 303 to protect the leather, then you probably don't need Perma-Plate, which can be "paint sealant", "leather conditioner", and "carpet protector" or any combination of those. My guess is that you end up paying a higher premium for the "insurance" that Perma-plate offers. For example, if you accidentally spill a small amount of used motor oil inside your car, perma-plate will pay to replace the carpet.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:08 PM
Instructor

About Paint Protection Package, different dealer has different terms and procedures. One thing that most consumers don't know is that Acura will only be liable to your vehicle's paint job for the first 30 days after new vehicle delivery. If your vehicle's paint job is destroyed by any type of environmental medium such as acid rain, tree saps, bird dropping, etc, FACTORY WILL NOT COVER THE DAMAGE UNDER WARRANTY after the first 30 days of delivery. Any new car paint job goes through a healing process during the first 3 years. It's just like your skin and with pores on it. It takes roughly 2 - 3 years to settle. Yes, every vehicle has clear coat. Clear coat is just a clear layer of paint and it has nothing to do with protecting your vehicle from all environmental damages. Protection sealant is used to protect your vehicle's paint job from environmental damages and seal off the pores on the paint surface. If you let a simple bird dropping on your paint for more than 2 days, the acid will eat through the clear coat and destroy the paint. If you have a black car, oops, it's over with. One reminder is even with paint sealant, please wipe off the bird dropping by soft cloth and water immediately. If not, same thing will happen.

When a dealer offers that package to you, don't be mad. Dealers are encouraged by factory to offer this product to customers so that your vehicles can still look like brand new during the first 3 years of ownership. You do have to pay attention to what dealer's explaination of the package. Some dealers offer the first application and give you two bottles of "stuff" and let you do it afterwards. That's rediculous!

The package usually runs from $599 to $699. It varies from dealer to dealer and what dealers do. I suggest that consumer should only buy the package that includes professional detailing and re-application of paint sealant by the dealer. They should do it for you! You don't want to get a high speed buffer and kill the paint by yourselves.

Again, don't get mad right away if your dealer offers you these packages. Listen to them and you make the decision whether to take it. Most people want it but they just don't want to pay for it. Come on! Who doesn't want their new cars look like brand new for the first 3 years!
Old 10-02-2003, 02:20 PM
6th Gear

I can put the locks, liner and mud guards on in about 20 minutes and it would save me over $100.

Sorry, but I don't give my money away just so someone can have a job.

If the dealer insists on including those then I would offer him $300 including the paint sealer. If he won't go for that then he loses my business. Fortunately we have 4 Acura dealers in the area.

-phil
Ouch Phil. Im just trying to help you. Instead of trying to argue why dont you just order one. The dealer will more then likely not put it on the vehicle.

I dont know if you eat out much but insted of Mc Donalds or Subway you could easly make those at home and save thousands in your life. Heck why not move out the country and grow the food your self. Rase the cow too. We dont ever want to pay people. We know this economy in California is so awesome. People dont need work!

Im not sure where you live but I was just trying to help you make a fair deal. Get one with no goodies and pay MSRP. Enjoy your new awesome ride. I would have to do the same. I dont like mud guards. Bad for the under body spoiler

PS the under body spoiler looks nice!
Old 10-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Instructor

I will be more than happy to explain further if anyone has any questions about Paint Protection Package.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by ccheung
I will be more than happy to explain further if anyone has any questions about Paint Protection Package.
I would like to know if I don't get this package but take care of my paint, will there really be that much difference. BTW, I appreciate your comments about the re-application as I think I wouldn't have thought to insist on that.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Surely if the manufacturers could make the paint stronger by adding a coating they'd just do it?

Isn't it a bit like these $20 signal boosters for cellphones. If Nokia don't think they're good enough to build in, why should I?
Old 10-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2k4tl----- Right on!
Paint protection package=dealer profiting from gullible or "nice" customer. In the highly competive auto manufacturing world, if a manufacurer had a better paint treatment, rust prevention, mileage enhancer, or security system, they would add it and advertise their added edge. The reality is that they build the car as it should be and some dealers like to pad the deal with gimmicks, especially with popular cars. If dealer thinks the car is worth more than MSRP, then charge more for the car, and then if the customer wants to pay it, fine. Just stop the games please.

P.S. There are plenty of ethical dealers out there and word gets around and they get my business and referrals. I applaud them.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Unfortunately, there's no such paint job, sealant, wax job or coating that won't be worn out. I would love to have a car like that. There's no such thing in the real world. Even metal will rust!
Old 10-04-2003, 04:01 PM
Racer

About 120 years ago the term for all this added protection and enhancement was called "snake oil." IMO, the value hasn't changed much over the years, but it sure sells doesn't it. lol.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:19 AM
Advanced

Ok. The dealer in Canada sent my 06 TSX somewhere for the paint sealant. Is it really good for 3 years? So all I have to do wash and dry it regularly. I don't have to worry about waxing it?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by 06TSXVanBC
Ok. The dealer in Canada sent my 06 TSX somewhere for the paint sealant. Is it really good for 3 years? So all I have to do wash and dry it regularly. I don't have to worry about waxing it?
Way to bring back a three year old thread posted in teh wrong forum

That sealant isn't worth anything. Wash and wax regularly.