"One of the World's Great Sports Cars" - MT

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by vishnus11
Join the club! NOW! It is amazingly fun! My best purchase yet by far!
Difference between you and me, is that I already have two cars....this would be a third....2 drivers, 3 cars.... makes sense?
Old 08-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
Difference between you and me, is that I already have two cars....this would be a third....2 drivers, 3 cars.... makes sense?
If the third is an S2k, then it makes perfect sense What an awesome driver's car. I truly enjoy, look forward to, and relish every commute I've made in the past few days. The car has a sense of occasion about it from the engine start button, to the digital tach, to the beautiful shifter, to the amazing engine...I could go on and on. If your looking for a great driver's car, look no further. Depends on whether you think adding a third car to the stable is worth that. JUST make sure you can fit inside it.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
JUST make sure you can fit inside it.

Rub it in my face, why don't you!

Originally Posted by levon1830
Beautiful car man!! I'm actually jealous; I've always wanted a S2000, but at 6'7" tall, most of which is legs, I can't fit.

I'd love to hear a sound clip of the engine hitting 8500+ rpm once you get it broken in. Since Honda bumped up the displacement to 2.2 liters, what is the redline now?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:34 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
If the third is an S2k, then it makes perfect sense What an awesome driver's car. I truly enjoy, look forward to, and relish every commute I've made in the past few days. The car has a sense of occasion about it from the engine start button, to the digital tach, to the beautiful shifter, to the amazing engine...I could go on and on. If your looking for a great driver's car, look no further. Depends on whether you think adding a third car to the stable is worth that. JUST make sure you can fit inside it.
curious what kind of credit do you ahve being that you're 18? cause i so want to lease or finance a 2007 (if its 100% confirmed for 2007 otherwise 2006) S2000 in either grand prix white with the red/black interior (for 2007 or black only for 2006) or laguna blue with black interior
Old 08-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
man i am so jealous... leaving azine to look at used S2k's online right now...
Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, it looks like it's going to happen, about 90%. My one and only fear was what my father would say when he heard about it. He's helping me watch my pennies pretty tight. My father over heard my brother talking to my mom about it. He did bitch about it a little, my brother talked it up and told him it's a great deal now, and I won't have to pay anything for insurance, he didn't believe him. Oh well..

If I do get it, it'll probably be on Friday.

Only thing I'm still waiting for is approval from the banks. My credit is fine, but because I'm doing it under my business with me guaranteeing it, it's taking a little more time. According to my rep "I'm gold", so my credit isn't an issue. If because of my business (it's only 1 yr old) is an issue and I only get preferred instead of super preferred, i probably won't go ahead with it. I'd rather pick up a used one, use it for a little while, than just re-sell it. Problem is, now's not really the best time to buy a used convertible, it's at it's peak, just starting the downswing of depreciation after the summer ends, only for the cycle to start all over come spring time. We'll see tomorrow.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

I found out why they weren't approving me at super pref, the bank acknowledged that I was a dealer/leasing company and thought that I would be brokering the car to someone. Bottom line, approved at super preferred. Now the question is, do I take delivery tomorrow or monday...
Old 08-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Sweet...looking forward to seeing it, Shoofin.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

I found out why they weren't approving me at super pref, the bank acknowledged that I was a dealer/leasing company and thought that I would be brokering the car to someone. Bottom line, approved at super preferred. Now the question is, do I take delivery tomorrow or monday...
CONGRATUALTIONS! Glad to see another AZ member joining the club! Suzuka Blue? (they didn't have one on my lot, otherwise it would have been a tough choice!). You gotta post pics once you get it. Did you end up getting the same deal as me?

As for the lease, someone asked what kind of credit I had. My mom cosigned - didn't really matter to her since I had all the $$ upfront (I had planned on buying a used S2k outright), but now I get to keep investing what I have, and just make relatively small monthly payment). Once again, its a great car. Congrats Shoofin.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:38 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
CONGRATUALTIONS! Glad to see another AZ member joining the club! Suzuka Blue? (they didn't have one on my lot, otherwise it would have been a tough choice!). You gotta post pics once you get it. Did you end up getting the same deal as me?

As for the lease, someone asked what kind of credit I had. My mom cosigned - didn't really matter to her since I had all the $$ upfront (I had planned on buying a used S2k outright), but now I get to keep investing what I have, and just make relatively small monthly payment). Once again, its a great car. Congrats Shoofin.
I don't think it would be much of a choice. Laguna Blue looks so much nicer than Suzuka.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

The original car was Suzuka Blue, but it was sold. The other car they had was Laguna Blue. I'm going to finalize tonight in the "family meeting" to make the final decision. This is so annoying, but the last thing I need is to hear it from my father about my "spending habits"...
Old 08-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Did you end up getting the same deal as me?
Well, the meeting went ok. My father was bitching about me not needing another "toy", I do have a car already for me and one for my wife, and the '66 Rustang in the driveway taking up space. I emphasized again that it's a cheap lease, and I'm not paying the insurance because it barely changes anything on my policy. He still doesn't believe me about that, but I kept talking in the sense as if I already got it and it's too late. My parents still aren't so happy, but seemed to have somewhat accept it. Now, when they actually see the car, that's when the shit will hit the fan....I'm going to try to get it tomorrow.

As for the deal, I chose to go 27 months instead of 36. 24 months was preferred, but I figured the extra 3 months would be good so I can have the car for at least two full summers. Price-wise, I'm paying the taxes upfront, as well as a very small amount down to keep the payments under $350, which right now is at $340. I haven't decided in final what I'm going to do regarding the monthly payment, I'll decide tomorrow morning and will send over the final numbers to my rep at that time.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Ok Ed, I'll chime in on your decision as I have been in and out of a similar boat for a while.

I emphasized again that it's a cheap lease
Yeah but cheap does not equal free.

I know you are always complaining about the cost of living in NY and how home prices are ridiculous. Wouldn't investing the car payment each month and the insurance money be a better decision?

It's your money but damn dude, maybe your Dad is right. Why on earth do you need 3 cars? I don't even think your wife drives, does she?

And why do you need to get your parent's blessing?

Sorry for sounding like the :killer:
Old 08-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the S2000, but I could never have it as my only car.

Btw, why is Honda discontinuing it? Mazda has kept the Miata/Mx-5 around since 1989!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

that color + that model year = teh hot!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Ok Ed, I'll chime in on your decision as I have been in and out of a similar boat for a while.

Yeah but cheap does not equal free.

I know you are always complaining about the cost of living in NY and how home prices are ridiculous. Wouldn't investing the car payment each month and the insurance money be a better decision?

It's your money but damn dude, maybe your Dad is right. Why on earth do you need 3 cars? I don't even think your wife drives, does she?

And why do you need to get your parent's blessing?

Sorry for sounding like the :killer:
I hear what you're saying, but I'm young and only live once!

My wife drives teh X3, I drive the Scion. The S2000 is for me, but my brother's are all interested in splitting it with me.

I don't need my parents blessing, it is my money, I can do what I want, but I still refer to my father for guidance in business, not to mention he helped me a little financially in purchasing the business that I now own.

Part of him is accepting my wanting this car, he knows and sees how hard i've been working lately, so I think part of him sees me deserving this.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I'm jealous.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm so gonna get killed when I go home now....I didn't drive it yet, going to leave soon!

Old 08-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
giggidy giggidy gooOO!!1
Old 08-05-2006, 12:23 AM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
you guys all make me so jealous
Old 08-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm so gonna get killed when I go home now....I didn't drive it yet, going to leave soon!

Hey, thats my car!

Just detailed mine today. Me, my bro, and my cousin worked on it for a solid 5 hours.
I've started doing the occasional VTEC. Once I cross 1000, I'll start engagin it more.

P.S. (for those that have seen it) - Just watched "T. Nights: Ballad of Ricky Bobby" and I'm so tempted to go "slingshot engage" everytime I hit VTEC
Old 08-05-2006, 01:30 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice color...
Old 08-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

This car is pretty fookin sweet!

When you spent the last year driving a Scion xB in 5 speed, then you get into this thing, it's nuts! It's pretty hard to keep the car under 5500 until it fully wears in though. You're shifting almost every 2-3 seconds, the revs go up pretty quick....I went home yesterday, I had to shmooz my wife more than my father. She was pissed, because I didn't "fully discuss" this expense with her. She was like oblivious to the whole thing, even though we were all discussing it right in front of her on thursday night.

I was thinking about the car all day today, just waiting for the sabbath to end so I can drive it. My wife refuses to go in the car until my father does first, as a confirmation that he's ok with it. I picked him up in it tonight, he was cool about it. Not only that, I sat with my parents and my brother today for a few hours, I was talking about the car the whole time, giving my father the opportunity to bash me with anything he might have to say, and he didn't say a damn thing..I guess he approves! Now I gotta work on the wife some more, because I need to get her into it now... Oh well..
Old 08-06-2006, 12:41 PM
S2000 Owner

Congrats on the car! I've had mine for almost 3 years already and love it just as much as the day I got it! Have fun and be careful! She can get tricky sometimes
Old 08-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you spent the last year driving a Scion xB in 5 speed, then you get into this thing, it's nuts! It's pretty hard to keep the car under 5500 until it fully wears in though. You're shifting almost every 2-3 seconds, the revs go up pretty quick....I went home yesterday, I had to shmooz my wife more than my father. She was pissed, because I didn't "fully discuss" this expense with her. She was like oblivious to the whole thing, even though we were all discussing it right in front of her on thursday night.

I was thinking about the car all day today, just waiting for the sabbath to end so I can drive it. My wife refuses to go in the car until my father does first, as a confirmation that he's ok with it. I picked him up in it tonight, he was cool about it. Not only that, I sat with my parents and my brother today for a few hours, I was talking about the car the whole time, giving my father the opportunity to bash me with anything he might have to say, and he didn't say a damn thing..I guess he approves! Now I gotta work on the wife some more, because I need to get her into it now... Oh well..
reason number 234987231041 why im not getting married

congrats on your purchase though! I drove one of these for the first time yesterday and it was a blast. They only offered me 5500 for my tl though Maybe some other time.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

I feel the same way - it makes me want to get up in the morning and drive. I try to find excuses all day to drive. They gave it to me on Saturday with a full tank, and I had to fill er up on Sunday. An ABSOLUTE BLAST

And.... check out s2ki.com ... nice forum for s2k owners with great info. Congrats once again.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Senior Moderator

I feel the same way - it makes me want to get up in the morning and drive. I try to find excuses all day to drive. They gave it to me on Saturday with a full tank, and I had to fill er up on Sunday. An ABSOLUTE BLAST

And.... check out s2ki.com ... nice forum for s2k owners with great info. Congrats once again.
Well, I have about 250 miles on it so far. I had to fill up tonight....

I truly enjoy this car just the way it is. There are a few things I would love to change, but I can live with it. I'm all about the low, agressive look on a nice set of wheels (not too big), and a nice exhaust note. I thought for a moment that the exhaust is a tad on the raspy/quiet side, but that's only because I've been trying to keep the revs under 5500. I did venture north of that a few times and the exhaust note does come to life. Then again, My xB has an exhaust, and I've been driving that every day, so something a little quieter could always be a good thing. I know the car would look that much better if it was dropped slightly, but it's low/stiff enough for me already, so I'm keeping that as is.

Small possibility I may sell the xB too, but not sure yet, because that's my work car, and as much as I enjoy driving the S2000 every day much more, It's really only a 3 season car, so I don't know yet what i'm going to do about that.
My only complaints about the S2k is the rear tires are a pinch narrower than the rim(even with the rim guard on the tires), get too close to a curb and it's all over, and related to that same issue, tilt-down side view mirrors would have been nice to help prevent that. Lastly, the radio has a nice cover that you can keep closed and control the audio with buttons at close reach. I'd like to know what station I'm listening to, or what track I'm on without having to open up the cover every time. And speaking of the open cover, the edge of it is about a half inch from my right knee, so one wrong move and ouch! The only thing I may add to it is XM satellite radio, as I have it in my other car and enjoy it very much.

I've driven many different types of convertibles, Z3/Z4, SLK, SL, CLK, 3 series, 911/Boxster etc... and none of them even come close to the feel of this car. It feels like it's wired to my brain. Everything about the drive is so perfect. I thought the low torque would make the car a dog at lower speeds, but so far it's been above satisfactory to me (then again i've been driving a 107 hp Scion in 5 speed for the last 16 mos). I can't wait for the wear in period to come and go so I can really open her up! Only 350 miles to go!