Oil Quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 02:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
the recomendations for Acura change to every 3.5K for severe driving. Since city driving falls under severe, I compromise on 3 and and 7200 miles and go for around 5K. Now that winter is here 5K is still a good compromise since driving in cold weather is hard on a car and the oil........
Old 10-11-2006, 06:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
does anyone do what my father does and just buys whatever oil is on sale at the time he goes to autozone??? stocks up on that for a while??? he does his oil every 3k miles tho...
Old 10-11-2006, 07:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
Acura and GM use an oil life monitoring system to determine service intervals now. GM's service intervals average more than 8500 miles in between service with conventional oil according to a recent nationwide poll. Unsure of any official figures on Acuras, but most 3G TL owners are going 6-7k.

???

Post the links to the tests. Real tests. Not a few random UOA reports. Those do not qualify as "controlled" tests.

As for arguing, prove your point by backing it up with real evidence....
I have nothing to prove to people on the internet. I have no need to waste any more of my time here since I know what is the best oil. The people who want to real evidence on which oil is best can go to www.bobistheoilguy.com forums and read up on all the tests by independent labs. It's obvious you do not want to look yourself.

GM has had Oil Life monitoring system since 1997.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Safety Car

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8&page=1&pp=25

FYI thats why Road-Rage agrees RP sucks.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:44 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Whatever. RR's disapproval towards RP is just one opinion.

I've read up on all of the independent tests. I've yet to find a single one that proves Amsoil to be superior to all. All of the tests showing Amsoil's superiority were done by Amsoil contracted labs under questionable conditions.

GM has had their oil life monitoring system well before 1997. It wasn't until right after 2000 did the maximum service interval increase to 12500 miles/1-yr under the most ideal conditions. Previously, it was 7500 miles on most vehicles. The elimination of the flat tappet design allowed for slower degradation of the oil additives. And yes, this was on BITOG, posted by a GM engineer. Go read up on it.

As for me? I just buy the cheapest oil and filters and change every 7500 miles. Earliest is 5k. Mostly 1-3 mi trips too. How's that?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Safety Car

Not "ALL" the tests were done by Amsoil. But Road Rage like you said is one of the veterans here on oil info. He also agree's Amsoil is the best.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Well crap, while i have you here....

Some people say that you dont need to change the oil filter as often as the oil. That true?

My tech told me that he smelled gas in my oil and that i should change it every 4k miles with M1 5w-30. What would cause gas into the oil? So should i just change the oil every 4k miles and leave the filter on for every 8k miles?

I have a modded 1.8t A4 btw.
Might as well add my .

My own research says that it is more important to change the filter than the oil. In fact, many knowledgable people change the filter, top off the oil (premium and/or synthetic) and run 10,000 miles still getting good results from the lab. (I wouldn't do this and I don't recommend it.)

A lab analysis is inexpensive. I always send a sample of my used oil into the lab and get the results by email within 2-3 days. It will show fuel contamination as well as water, antifreeze, etc.

As mentioned several times earlier here, bobistheoilguy.com site has an extensive library of oil analyses both "virgin" and used. Any oil that is on the market has been tested and reported on there. It is very informative.

My Acura TL is very low mileage so I change my Mobil 1 based on the calendar and not on miles or the MID. Every six months. I'm in Florida. We don't do winter so I have no seasonal considerations.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xpditor
Might as well add my .

My own research says that it is more important to change the filter than the oil. In fact, many knowledgable people change the filter, top off the oil (premium and/or synthetic) and run 10,000 miles still getting good results from the lab. (I wouldn't do this and I don't recommend it.)

A lab analysis is inexpensive. I always send a sample of my used oil into the lab and get the results by email within 2-3 days. It will show fuel contamination as well as water, antifreeze, etc.

As mentioned several times earlier here, bobistheoilguy.com site has an extensive library of oil analyses both "virgin" and used. Any oil that is on the market has been tested and reported on there. It is very informative.

My Acura TL is very low mileage so I change my Mobil 1 based on the calendar and not on miles or the MID. Every six months. I'm in Florida. We don't do winter so I have no seasonal considerations.
How much does a lab analysis cost?
Old 10-12-2006, 08:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Not "ALL" the tests were done by Amsoil. But Road Rage like you said is one of the veterans here on oil info. He also agree's Amsoil is the best.
He has never, I repeat never claimed that Amsoil was the best oil. He did claim that Amsoil ATF was the best he has used for Z1 applications, but has never said Amsoil's engine oils were the best. Show me where he has said that Amsoil was the best, bar none.

Oil Analysis kits are $15 from Oil Analyzers and $30 from Blackstone.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
After perusing BITOG I've learned a couple of things:

1. I'm convinced that WalMart SuperTech Synthetic is actually a pretty good oil .

2. Also fwiw, in my admittedly uninformed opinion , there is little difference between Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and Redline when used in passenger vehicles that adhere roughly to normal or slightly greater than normal oil change intervals. No one brand appears to be conclusively better, although M1 is consistently very good.

3. The recommended 3,000 or even 5,000 mile oil change interval is gross overkill.
nice.

i'll try supertech synthetic. i don't care. whatever full synthetic brand is cheapest at the time of my oil change is good enough for me.

i change my oil every 6000kms anyways...