Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 10:27 AM

Received 5,304 Likes on 3,638 Posts
and keep the rubber side down.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:25 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
I went for my first ride last night on the street. Man, there’s a lot to process simultaneously isn’t there? Horn, clutch, shift, brake with hands and feet, don’t leave the turn signal on ... Check mirrors, turn head, pay attention to the road surface ... LOL

It's really engaging though, more than in any car I’ve driven and really fits with why I got one instead of waiting on another car. But, riding in Colorado is going to be so much more enjoyable than DC.
Major congrats dude, I'm so glad you are enjoying it! I am also insanely jealous of you getting to ride in CO rather than on the coast like I'm forced to. Even a small hill or corner is cause for celebration whenever I take my bike out. Then again, that's probably why I have ridden it precisely ONE time so far in 2018 (well, that and the fact that its like 2k degrees every day down here)! Stay safe and never stop learning!
Old 09-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
First ride to work today. Much less nervous than my ride last Thursday. I’m glad I got it. It’s really so much more enjoyable than being in a car (at least at this time of year). Sitting at a light in 94% humidity in full gear is not as much fun though.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:24 AM

Glad you're enjoying it.
I'm biding my time for one to fall into my lap. If I get lucky, I can maybe score a two-fer on a couple BMWs
Old 09-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Glad you're enjoying it.
I'm biding my time for one to fall into my lap. If I get lucky, I can maybe score a two-fer on a couple BMWs
Thanks. I really am. I’m glad I pulled the trigger. What are you looking for? GS? NineT?

And thank you to everyone else. I really appreciate it. My grandmother left me a little money and so I paid for this in part with her inheritance. Every time I ride I think of her and my grandfather. He was into boats, but to paraphrase William F. Buckley, owning a boat is like standing under an ice cold shower tearing up thousand dollar bills.

But I like to think the sentiment of owning a motorcycle is the same to his when he had a sailboat.

Last edited by charliemike; 09-11-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:16 PM

Before I bought the Merc, I was seriously considering a new G130R.
Now, in a long-shot, I've had a line on a 90s K75S and a early 80s R65. Both need some work as the K has sat unused for a few years & needs a full tune-up, and the R hasn't been ridden in something like 20 years and is seized up (but not 'damaged' from riding abuse).
Old 09-11-2018, 02:45 PM

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/11/...orcycle-video/

BMW Motorrad made a motorcycle that "rides" itself, and it's ... well, it's creepy. We've all seen autonomous cars before, but this riderless bike is on another level. Just watch it take off, lean into turns and even deploy the kickstand as it comes to a stop. It's mesmerizing.

One might wonder why BMW would ever waste its time developing an autonomous motorcycle. Well, there's an answer for that. BMW says it's all about safety and increasing its understanding of a bike's dynamics. Once it's able to classify a rider's behavior on a bike, a future BMW motorcycle might be able to determine if a situation is dangerous before the rider even knows it. Once assessed, the bike could "inform, warn or intervene directly," says Stefan Hans, a Motorrad safety engineer.

Motorcycle driving assistance systems lag behind what is offered on four-wheel transportation these days. This two-year project was designed for further development in that area, but not to create an autonomous motorcycle for production, Motorrad says. Still, it's pretty incredible what BMW was able to accomplish with its R1200GS riding around robo-cycle style. Maybe tech like adaptive cruise control or lane-keeping assist isn't too far away from those riding on two wheels after all.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:33 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I was wondering how much weight gyroscopes would add and was thinking that motorcycles need BLIS too somehow. I’m not sure how to implement that as mirrors get broken dropping bikes and no one wants to pay $250 for a mirror.

That said, it would be incredibly helpful to have.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:43 AM

Just saw that BMW has 'confirmed' a G310RR with styling cues from the S1000RR. Not sure if/when it'll hit actual production or if it'll get any power bump.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:49 PM
Punk Rocker

My poor bike won't even start right now. So mad at myself for neglecting her all summer long but its just been too hot for me to ride since May, though no excuse for not at least running her every week or so. Now I need a new battery among other things (not necessarily due to sitting) like a new chain and sprockets, new front pads, and other odds and ends. Hopefully I can get a new battery in there soon and get some fresh oil in there so I can at least start running her. Really starting to miss riding now (though I had burned out a bit after putting 24k miles on it in 3 years which is part of the reason I haven't ridden much this year).
Old 09-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
My poor bike won't even start right now. So mad at myself for neglecting her all summer long but its just been too hot for me to ride since May, though no excuse for not at least running her every week or so. Now I need a new battery among other things (not necessarily due to sitting) like a new chain and sprockets, new front pads, and other odds and ends. Hopefully I can get a new battery in there soon and get some fresh oil in there so I can at least start running her. Really starting to miss riding now (though I had burned out a bit after putting 24k miles on it in 3 years which is part of the reason I haven't ridden much this year).
That is a lot of riding! Especially in places with shitty traffic. It took me forever to go five miles today. Right now it’s fun but I can imagine a point where sweating my ass off in endless congestion would be enough to stop riding to work.

Can you wrench your own bike? That would at least make it easier to get back on the road.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:39 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Today was the first day I started taking the wife to work on the Triumph. I never thought I would love motorcycles as much as I do. I definitely never thought my wife would either.

We did about an hour for our first ride on Sunday and had a great time. Looking forward to doing it again this weekend.
The following 2 users liked this post by charliemike:
juniorbean (10-05-2018), RPhilMan1 (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 10:35 AM

Good to have something you can both enjoy.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:37 PM
Punk Rocker

That is a lot of riding! Especially in places with shitty traffic. It took me forever to go five miles today. Right now it’s fun but I can imagine a point where sweating my ass off in endless congestion would be enough to stop riding to work.

Can you wrench your own bike? That would at least make it easier to get back on the road.
I've done all of the work on the bike myself so far, but I am definitely no mechanic. All oil/filter changes and mods so far. Replaced the taillight with an integrated LED unit, fender eliminator, MGP slip-on exhaust, RAM mount for my phone, and my aftermarket clip-ons. I don't have any problem putting a new battery in but the pad replacement and new chain and sprockets have me a little concerned. Plus I just don't have the time or money to mess with it right now. She'll probably sit for the rest of the winter and I'll get around to getting her back into new condition during the summer next year.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:38 AM

Suzuki Ending Hayabusa Production

https://jalopnik.com/suzuki-ends-pro...ter-1830970250

Even if you don’t know anything about motorcycles, you likely know that the GSX1300R Hayabusa is a ridiculously fast one. It debuted back in 1999 with an unrestricted top-speed alleged to be 194 miles per hour, and it could run tens in the quarter mile. With the Hayabusa, Suzuki completely dunked on the competition in an all out motorcycle arms race in the late 1990s. And as of December 31st, 2018, the bike will be phased out of existence.

With fears of regulatory backlash looming, an informal agreement was struck between Japanese and European motorcycle manufacturers to voluntarily limit their bikes to 186 mph. Because Suzuki was the top of the speed heap when the agreement went into effect, those 1999 bikes held the production speed record for many years afterward.

It’s since been beaten only by Ducati’s Panigale R and Kawasaki’s Ninja H2. The high-horsepower Suzuki, twenty years on and ten years into its second generation, is still as awe inspiring as ever. It was the first of what probably should be called Hyperbikes to catch my attention as a young enthusiast. I’m still afraid of them (and all bikes a liter plus, to be honest), and likely will never ride one out of respect for my lack of talent.

When the Euro 4 emissions rules went into effect back in 2016, Suzuki knew the Hayabusa didn’t meet them, and likely never would. Rather than develop a new engine, the Japanese manufacturer is letting its most impressive bike slip into the annals of history.

December 31st, 2018 is the last day on which non-Euro 4 compliant bikes can be sold. After which, the remaining stock of Hayabusas will be shipped to the North American market, where Euro 4 is not enforced, until stock is depleted. Suzuki will not continue to produce the bike for the U.S. and Canada, and will simply liquidate remaining inventory.

It’s an inauspicious end for a bike that completely blew everyone away when it was launched 20 years ago.

On the upside, Suzuki has renewed the trademarks on the Hayabusa name, according to a report from RideApart, so it’s entirely possible that a third generation of the bike could be coming in the future to combat the supercharged Ninja H2. Maybe downsizing and turbocharging is the way forward for the Hayabusa. Maybe it will never reach production again. In any case, it’s made one hell of a mark on the motorcycle world. If you’re looking for high speed hijinks, get a ‘Busa before they’re gone.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:00 AM

https://www.cycleworld.com/top-10-sportbikes-2000s

During the 2000s, bikes were selling at historically high volume levels on a wave of cheap credit and ever-improving models. And superbikes were at the heart of this vortex. It was an arms race that made unfathomable power and handling attainable at a price that could be bought or financed freely.

Soon, insurance rates, development costs, an economic recession, and shifting buyer habits would throw a wrench in the excess, but the superbikes that closed out the decade would show how this segment would evolve for the years to come.
2000: Suzuki GSX-R750

For all the talk about 1,000cc being the requirement for the superbike class in the new millennium, Suzuki showed up with an all-new Suzuki GSX-R750 to prove that there’s more to life than displacement.

In 2000, the GSX-R750 had a new, slimmer engine, redesigned frame, a sprinkling of lighter components, and a new fairing to signify you’re the freshest on the block. We were thrilled by its balance and its punch. The entire package reminded us that the “old school” combination of power and handling still had merit in the new millennium.

2001: Suzuki GSX-R1000

1998 marked the end of the GSX-R1100 line, and in its stead years later would be the GSX-R1000. Completely new for 2001, Suzuki took the compact components from the GSX-R750, added a little bore and stroke to hit 1,000cc, sprinkled in titanium for the exhaust, reinforced the frame, and set the GSX-R1000 out into the world.

In our summary, we were “white knuckled” at the result of a bike that combined this level of handling with 144 rear-wheel horsepower. This was just the first sign of a new era dominated by the “Gixxer Thou.”

2002: Suzuki GSX-R1000

To retain the crown in 2002 for our Best Superbike, the GSX-R1000 had to fend off all comers. The CBR-RR was new, the YZF-R1 received fuel injection, and Kawaski heavily revised its ZX-9. And yet it wasn’t enough to keep the GSX-R from the top spot.

A high-9 quarter-mile time, and a scintillating experience from its long-stroke motor, combined with handling that had us gobsmacked the year before kept its competitors at bay for another year, and the Gixxer on top.

2003: Suzuki GSX-R1000

And then for 2003, with the GSX-R1000 still on top from last year, Suzuki released a heavily revised “K3” generation model. It’s dominance was not unnoticed by us when we said, “It’s beginning to look as though a permanent parking space labeled ‘Suzuki GSX-R1000s Only’ may be warranted for this category.”

For 2003, it was lighter, had more power, and handled better. The dimensions stayed the same, but a diet and a slight power increase kept its competitors in the dust and amplified the handling we loved for this model.

2004: Kawasaki ZX-10R

It took a lot to wrestle the crown away from the Gixxer in the early millennium, and Kawasaki managed to do it with a monster of its own. All new for 2004, the ZX-10R replaced the beloved but outgunned ZX-9R.

With 155 hp at the wheel, 10-second quarter-mile, 183-mph top speed, and weighing 403 pounds, the ZX-10R was a benchracing and real-world king. It was a long way back to the top of this category. The last time Kawasaki achieved the Best Superbike title was all the way back in 1990 with the ZX-11.

2005: Kawasaki ZX-10R

Kawasaki didn’t want to make its return the top a brief affair. For 2005, the ZX-10R was relatively unchanged but did receive a revised transmission to smooth out shifting quality we noted in 2004.

A delayed BMW K1200S and a disappointing debut of the heavily revised GSX-R1000 cleared the way for the green monster to take the crown once again. The Ninja had made it two in a row for the new millennium in our Best Superbike category.

2006: Suzuki GSX-R750

There were 440 distinct models for sale in United States showrooms in 2006. The market was flush with power, chrome, and speed in any dosage you’d like. And if that wasn’t enough, a diverse aftermarket to deliver every whim you could think of. In this hotly competitive environment, a bit of a throwback took our Best Superbike title.

It had been six years since a bike with under 1,000cc was our pick for Best Superbike, but once again Suzuki showed that 750cc can still be enough to take the title. It did it with an all-new-from-the-ground-up GSX-R750. As literbikes became ever faster and 600cc sportbikes became ever more shrill and sharp-edged, the brand-new ’06 GSX-R750 struck the right balance for an increasingly intense sport/superbike segment.

2007: Ducati 1098

It took 12 years to get back to be our Best Superbike choice, but Ducati did it with aplomb with the brand-new 1098 in 2007. For one, the controversial looks of the 999 were gone, replaced with a modern take on the 916 design language. But it was the mechanicals that won us over.

With the Testastretta Evoluzione engine, Ducati was placed into the new millennium with an engine that had the behavior and thrust of the Japanese, without losing its Italian personality in the process. It was also less expensive than its predecessor as well, a full $3,000 less. It was a long way back, but Ducati made it with style and speed.

2008: Ducati Desmosedici RR

It was the year that performance-enhancing electronics had begun to trickle down from the racetrack to the street. It was also a last gasp of decadence before economic turmoil would put superbike development on ice, at least initially. And there was no better bike as a sign of the times than naming the Ducati Desmosedici RR as our Best Superbike for 2008.

A MotoGP-derived, V-4-powered hellion, and limited to 1,500 units, it was the most expensive bike to receive this title to date at $72,500—if you could get one. We called it a “masterpiece with a warranty” and it was a cherry on top of a period of continuous superbike development. It was also a glimpse at the future we’re living in today where the very utmost tip of the market would be served with race specials with no limits, and limited numbers, and the very finest in componentry and performance.

2009: Aprilia RSV4

The economic uncertainty of a new generation was mentioned in the intro of 2009’s Ten Best, but it didn’t have any impact on the motorcycles that were our choices. And for Best Superbike that year was the truly amazing Aprilia RSV4.

Packed with an all-new V-4 engine, and new from the ground up, the RSV4 was Aprilia’s comeback from financial straits. Its tight dimensions, unmatched agility, and competitive power, surprised and delighted us upon its debut. In fact, it’s so good that it’s basically still with us today, adding electronics and refinements that still make it class competitive even 10 years on.
The following users liked this post:
majin ssj eric (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I miss my Ducati 848. Would love to get another...

Last edited by juniorbean; 01-17-2019 at 01:19 PM.
majin ssj eric (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 02:20 PM

Looks like something I'd have a really hard time keeping at legal speeds.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

It was a lot of fun. There is one for sale locally and it's killing me to not reach out to him. Was thinking maybe he'd want a racing kart and a little cash
Old 01-17-2019, 03:52 PM

For the longest time I wanted an R6, then one day realized I'd likely end up doing something stupid on it.
Now, I'm waiting for the stars to align just right & find a nice sport-touring bike for a commuter. Small chance of it, but I know of a really clean (but needs a tune-up) K75S that I've been pursuing for a few years now, but it's in Florida.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts
OK guys, we can talk about it or we can RIDE.

If you haven't been to the Alps to ride, do it!

The Gavia Pass in Northern Italy.

Roads that are nice and narrow with no traffic.

Last edited by Tech; 01-17-2019 at 06:09 PM.
majin ssj eric (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:24 AM
Punk Rocker

Today's sport bikes are absolutely incredible to be sure, but for me (and maybe this is just nostalgia kicking in) the mid-to-late 2000's had the absolute best looking sport bikes ever!

2007 Ducati 1098S

2007 Honda CBR600RR

2006 Triumph Daytona 675

2006 Suzuki GSX-R600

2009 Yamaha YZF-R6

I dunno, I just really miss the styling trends of that time period (especially among the Japanese Big-4) when there really seemed to be a focus on form, rather than today's trend of squinty or hidden headlights, pared down bodywork (to the point of near-nonexistence), etc. Sure the bikes were heavier and ultimately slower than today's models, but they were still plenty fast enough to fully enjoy while also doing so in style!!!
Old 01-18-2019, 12:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts
1986 Suzuki RG500 Gamma

A 4-cylinder square-four (two cranks) two stroke.
Four flat slide carburettors.
The first street bike with a cartridge transmission.
All aluminium frame and swingarm.
95 HP and 340 pounds (and they talk about light bikes these days).

1/4 mile in 11.2s and a top speed of 135 MPH...that was 33 years ago.

Never sold in the US but it is down there with a new owner.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator

For the longest time I wanted an R6, then one day realized I'd likely end up doing something stupid on it.
Now, I'm waiting for the stars to align just right & find a nice sport-touring bike for a commuter. Small chance of it, but I know of a really clean (but needs a tune-up) K75S that I've been pursuing for a few years now, but it's in Florida.
I really feel like you can do something stupid on any type of bike. I know I've gone triple-digits on that 848 before (when in Mexico of course) and I also used to just cruise around town with it. Really depends how much control you have with your throttle

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Today's sport bikes are absolutely incredible to be sure, but for me (and maybe this is just nostalgia kicking in) the mid-to-late 2000's had the absolute best looking sport bikes ever!
<snip>
I dunno, I just really miss the styling trends of that time period (especially among the Japanese Big-4) when there really seemed to be a focus on form, rather than today's trend of squinty or hidden headlights, pared down bodywork (to the point of near-nonexistence), etc. Sure the bikes were heavier and ultimately slower than today's models, but they were still plenty fast enough to fully enjoy while also doing so in style!!!
As much as I miss my Ducati 848 I would also very seriously consider a Daytona 675. When I was bike shopping at the time it was between those two so who knows, maybe it's time to try the other one
Old 01-18-2019, 09:45 AM

A CBR250RR MC22 would do it for me, 20k RPM redline
Old 01-18-2019, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Yeah, those are nice too
Old 04-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Spoiler

Old 04-11-2019, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

^ do it!!!!
Old 04-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I dropped my bike yesterday because the stupid alley behind my house isn’t at all level. Broke off the left brake lever and scratched the muffler but otherwise okay.

So goddamn annoying.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by juniorbean
^ do it!!!!
It'll be in my garage for most of the summer, probably with his Victory Cross Country joining it later (which will put the C in the driveway for a bit).
Took it for a short ride around the 'block' after work yesterday. It definitely needed to be run, lots of backfiring & a bit of smoking. It's a 2001 (I believe) with under 7k miles on it. After a short ride, it was running much better/smoother.

Lots of torque (88ci/1440cc), 3rd gear around 30mph & just a small pull on the throttle gets it going pretty well. Definitely an adjustment compared to the Enduros & light 'sport' bikes I'd ridden in the past. Much heavier & pretty top-heavy feeling.

Need to get my M endorsement, so I'll be more comfortable taking it further from the house.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

I dropped my bike yesterday because the stupid alley behind my house isn’t at all level. Broke off the left brake lever and scratched the muffler but otherwise okay.

So goddamn annoying.
Luckily it wasn't anything major. Almost everyone drops their first bike somehow and at some point. Happy to hear it was something very minor.

It'll be in my garage for most of the summer, probably with his Victory Cross Country joining it later (which will put the C in the driveway for a bit).
Took it for a short ride around the 'block' after work yesterday. It definitely needed to be run, lots of backfiring & a bit of smoking. It's a 2001 (I believe) with under 7k miles on it. After a short ride, it was running much better/smoother.

Lots of torque (88ci/1440cc), 3rd gear around 30mph & just a small pull on the throttle gets it going pretty well. Definitely an adjustment compared to the Enduros & light 'sport' bikes I'd ridden in the past. Much heavier & pretty top-heavy feeling.

Need to get my M endorsement, so I'll be more comfortable taking it further from the house.
Yeah, they are a lot of fun. I've actually been back on the hunt again myself. Probably wait a bit so I don't pay the spring tax (unless I find a good deal) but a bike is definitely back on my radar...
charliemike (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 12:17 PM

The v-twin thing isn't my preference, but it's a start.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:11 AM

Got the Indian out for a short spin yesterday. Quiet roads on the huge neighborhood next to mine.
charliemike (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:31 AM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,749 Likes on 801 Posts
Man down

Highsided the weekend. Luckily I landed into a grassy/weedy area. My bike has minor damage and my shoulder, hip and ankle are in a little pain. I've been Netflix and chillin' keeping my ankle elevated and under ice. Not quite done limping yet but my hip is also getting better. My shoulder is not really bothering me; just enough to know it's there. As for the bike, minor scrapes and scratches. One crack on the fairing behind the seat. I believe the frame slider did a good job protecting the rest of the bike. My gear is fine, but I'll have to replace my helmet (fairly new too ) It is scratched on the impact side. Already put in my claim. Progressive is awesome. I thought of hanging up my helmet but I don't know... we'll see.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:45 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,175 Likes on 4,823 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you had a shitty weekend, but I'm glad you're able to walk away from it - highsides are no joke. Get better soon
Old 04-22-2019, 01:50 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

What happened that caused the high side? We’re you carrying too much speed? Glad you’re okay. I’ve done it on a bicycle and it sucks.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:51 PM
Rooting for Acura

Thanks civicdrv
Old 04-22-2019, 01:58 PM
Rooting for Acura

What happened that caused the high side? We’re you carrying too much speed? Glad you’re okay. I’ve done it on a bicycle and it sucks.
That's exactly what happened. If I were to guess, I was doing ~50-55 mph, which was still too much for that particular (90 degree) tight bend. Once I realized I was coming in too hot I stood the bike up to ride it out in the grass. When I saw the large dip in the grass I hit the brakes. My rear tire locked up due to the dirt in the road from construction traffic. The back end swung out and my 9 seconds of mechanical bull riding was over. Such a rookie move for someone who's been riding over 15 years.
charliemike (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:03 PM

Glad you're ok for the most part. Austin-area road?
I'd love to take a more leisurely cruise up 2222 & Lime Creek Rd.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:10 PM
Rooting for Acura

Glad you're ok for the most part. Austin-area road?
I'd love to take a more leisurely cruise up 2222 & Lime Creek Rd.
Thanks. This was in the "not so back roads anymore" area in Round Rock. And, uh, 2222 and Lime Creek are not for leisurely cruises. 2222 is beautiful, but it's stop and go traffic the whole way. Lime Creek is a very technical, white knuckle affair. However, there are some very nice leisurely routes that I take. Let me know if you're ever in the area.

Quick Reply: The Official Motorcycles/Scooters Thread