Observations: 3 weeks w/G35 after TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 10:01 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
One thing G35 has the TL doesn't

Is a class action lawsuit filed in California against Nissan NA because the G35 brakes are wearing prematurely and it's having a negative impact on resale value - according to the lawsuit that is.

This item was just published today at Automotive News. You have to be registered on the site to read the entire story.

www.autonews.com
Old 10-13-2004, 10:07 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave,

You bought the right car for your needs and I'm happy for you. I was in the same situation as you and I too felt the SIGNIFICANT difference in handling between the two cars. Not even a comparison IMHO. I have the coupe w/18s and this thing handles like a beast I agree with the posts here about the TL having more refinement, better interior, quieter ride and I really wish I had those things sometimes when I am in my G...but when the roads are clear and I really push her, I'm very happy with the decision I made. BTW, I played with some TLs on the highway and I usually pull on them; has anyone pulled on a G?
Old 10-13-2004, 10:07 AM
Instructor

P.S... what is the little compartment/handle looking thingy to the right of the G's dash under the glovebox ??[/QUOTE]

That's where they put the Nav./DVD player. If this was a CD changer or even a DVD player I would understand the location. But how often do you need to access the Nav./DVD player that you would put it above the glove box.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also think the interior looks better in black, but I think that of the Acura interiors too.

http://users.adelphia.net/~jrockcls/console.jpg
Sorry about the angle, was at at stoplight. =p
Old 10-13-2004, 10:44 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JRock
I also think the interior looks better in black, but I think that of the Acura interiors too.

Forbidden, doesn not work for me I think black hides everything that is ugly. Just look at the new Maxima....IT EVEN looks decent in black.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Racer

I think that ES interior is pretty ugly too. I dunno why, just does. I'm not a big fan of wood, and it looks rather lowtech. The head unit just screams 'Audiovox' to me.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Here is a pic of the 6MT sport interior

Old 10-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Instructor

I've always believed that all of the components of a dashboard should flow together. Basically, there should be one continuous line which can be drawn along the dash that would encompass all of the components. The TL follows this rule.

The G35, on the other hand, looks like it is made up of three different sections. You have the center control panel which abruptly ends at the top. The second section then starts; this is that weird center panel that holds the clock. Finally, the instrument cluster looks like it is an entirely separate section. Bottom line- you have three distinct dash sections which are sort of mish-mashed together. To me, that ruins the entire interior, as it doesn't have a single, solitary theme or flow to it.

All of the components on the TL flow together. The instrument panel looks like a natural extension of the dash and there is no real division between the upper dash and the center console. At the end of the day, it looks like the TL interior was carved out of a single block, whereas the G interior was created by placing three blocks together.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:40 AM
Instructor

And I don't like the ES330 interior. Too much wood. And am I alone in thinking that the whole center console looks like a big blister that is going to pop?
Old 10-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Old timer

Originally Posted by EZZ
Forbidden, doesn not work for me I think black hides everything that is ugly. Just look at the new Maxima....IT EVEN looks decent in black.
Nah, I just find silver trim looks infinitely better with black interior than lighter interior colors.

Originally Posted by kosh2258
Is a class action lawsuit filed in California against Nissan NA because the G35 brakes are wearing prematurely and it's having a negative impact on resale value - according to the lawsuit that is.

This item was just published today at Automotive News. You have to be registered on the site to read the entire story.

www.autonews.com
Really? Never heard of it. I would be interested in free brakes whenever they wear out.

I doubt they wear out in 9.500 miles though
Old 10-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shodog
The materials used in the G35 are higher quality than those used in the TL. the only thing you can argue is the design which is subjective for most. one thing the G35 thankfully doesn't have is that thin aluminum trim that dents easily and burns the $hit out of your arm when you car has been sitting in the hot sun.
You've obviously been sitting in your G35 too long and have been overcome by plastic fumes.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhunter9999
P.S... what is the little compartment/handle looking thingy to the right of the G's dash under the glovebox ??

That's where they put the Nav./DVD player. If this was a CD changer or even a DVD player I would understand the location. But how often do you need to access the Nav./DVD player that you would put it above the glove box.[/QUOTE]

On non-nav cars, the area above the glove box is an additional storage compartment. If you mean the small piece on the right side of the console, that's a power point with a small pocket beneath it.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EZZ
Dave,

You bought the right car for your needs and I'm happy for you. I was in the same situation as you and I too felt the SIGNIFICANT difference in handling between the two cars. Not even a comparison IMHO. I have the coupe w/18s and this thing handles like a beast I agree with the posts here about the TL having more refinement, better interior, quieter ride and I really wish I had those things sometimes when I am in my G...but when the roads are clear and I really push her, I'm very happy with the decision I made. BTW, I played with some TLs on the highway and I usually pull on them; has anyone pulled on a G?
Every time I drive it and fling it around a corner, the satisfaction grows. Everything else is secondary/tertiary. I love the TL's looks, but from the driver's seat (which unfortunately I could never adjust to my liking), I can't see it. Functionality always wins out over appearance.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:36 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
i'm lucky - my household has both (TL and G35). In one year we have a total of 12000 miles spread among two cars so there's not a lot of driving for either. The TL is better for long-distance cruising, whereas the G35 (base model w/ leather and auto) is a better performance car. For what it's worth, the COMBINED lease on BOTH was less than a single lease on ONE 2004 BMW 530i... without navigation

Ironically enough, the G35 has Turanza EL-42's. We may update the G35 with a rear spoiler, 18" TSW alloys and sport springs...

-josh
Old 10-13-2004, 05:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I went the other way. After a year and a half with the G35, I traded for a TL. I liked the G for the most part, but the TL just plain "feels" better to me. It fits me better, and has an all around more refined feel. Yes, I wish the TL had the RWD platform, and I even wish it had the G's engine (even with the 4mpg worse gas mileage).

This car for me is used mostly for commuting to work in Houston traffic. I have another car I drive on weekends. So I can live with the very slight performance differences. But I will also say that I'd be happy with either car.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Racer

ES is blah its a camry in light camo its hidious inside and out like a friggin prostitue
Old 10-13-2004, 06:47 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jjsC5
I went the other way. After a year and a half with the G35, I traded for a TL. I liked the G for the most part, but the TL just plain "feels" better to me. It fits me better, and has an all around more refined feel. Yes, I wish the TL had the RWD platform, and I even wish it had the G's engine (even with the 4mpg worse gas mileage).

This car for me is used mostly for commuting to work in Houston traffic. I have another car I drive on weekends. So I can live with the very slight performance differences. But I will also say that I'd be happy with either car.
Seems like you are going back to the darkside by selling the vette Don't do it...just get the C6
Old 10-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rock
The G35 might seem cheaper because it doesn't have struts, but I was happy when I found that my G Coupe had a prop rod. I've had two other cars in the past that the struts started to give way after about 5 years. This prop rod will last me a long time As for the interior, I've gotten used to it. It's not all that bad, but I definitely like the 3rd gen. TL interior. I also liked my old TLS interior. Actually, I miss the whole car
Funny. The prop rod was the only thing that ever broke on my 97 Prelude. Ok, so I bent it the wrong way...
Old 10-13-2004, 11:18 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by missmyprelude
Funny. The prop rod was the only thing that ever broke on my 97 Prelude. Ok, so I bent it the wrong way...
Funny, cause the only thing that ever broke on my 96 Maxima was the hood struts
Old 10-13-2004, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by blufox
ES is blah its a camry in light camo its hidious inside and out like a friggin prostitue
Like the TL being an Accord in light camo?
No, both cars hide their cheaper siblings part sharing very well.

Hoods without gas struts are to SAVE MONEY. Plain and simple. It is CHEAP. You will notice LUXURY CARS have gas struts as a convience for their owners, CHEAP cars have hood props to save money (Kia, Chevy, Mitsu, etc).
The G35 AWD was not preferred over the RWD model b/c of weight and a slight increase in ride height (for enthusiests). Most people could not tell the difference.

The TL interior is fantastic. It is common knowledge that is a place of opportunity for the G35. It pretty much NAILS everything else.

As for the ES interior, it offers REAL WOOD choices and is as well built as any car for any price.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hoods without gas struts are to SAVE MONEY. Plain and simple. It is CHEAP. You will notice LUXURY CARS have gas struts as a convience for their owners, CHEAP cars have hood props to save money (Kia, Chevy, Mitsu, etc).
The G35 AWD was not preferred over the RWD model b/c of weight and a slight increase in ride height (for enthusiests). Most people could not tell the difference.
My wife's Lexus IS300 has a prop rod. The TL has gas struts. Neither she nor I could care less either way. The fact is that most people with LUXURY CARS probably don't know the difference - chances are they wouldn't know how to open the hood to begin with. I would say it's less of a convenience to owners than a "nice to have". I notice that lots of non-car guys point out the prop rod rather than looking at the engine and other goodies under the hood. I agree that this is a money saving technique, but a damn good one in my opinion since it saves me little effort to have gas struts hold up the hood. And that's coming from someone that actually does know how to open the hood (among other things).
Old 10-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Old timer

I agree. Also, whoah, apparently the ES becomes a spaceship when you get the dark interior. 0__o
(Looks like stars and space in the background lol.)

Here's a fresh pic of dark interior in the G35 Coupe. I think it looks infinitely better than a light interior with silver trim, and I feel the same way about Acura ebony interiors over parchment/camel/saddle, when you have aluminum or silver trim. Wood goes best with light interior, silver/alum better with dark interior.

Interior2
Old 10-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts

Doesnt happen often but, !
Old 10-14-2004, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
Doesnt happen often but, !
lol
Originally Posted by missmyprelude
My wife's Lexus IS300 has a prop rod. The TL has gas struts. Neither she nor I could care less either way. The fact is that most people with LUXURY CARS probably don't know the difference - chances are they wouldn't know how to open the hood to begin with. I would say it's less of a convenience to owners than a "nice to have". I notice that lots of non-car guys point out the prop rod rather than looking at the engine and other goodies under the hood. I agree that this is a money saving technique, but a damn good one in my opinion since it saves me little effort to have gas struts hold up the hood. And that's coming from someone that actually does know how to open the hood (among other things).
Yes, some may not care but to me it's a small item I notice. Funny but the guys at IS.Net actually figured out how to fit and make hood props for the IS. I've seen them, they look like the angle won't hold up the hood but it works quite well. Like $250 or so.....
Old 10-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Intermediate

One question I have not seen addressed by people that have owned both cars:

Which one has the better gas mileage? Not that it would be a deal breaker, but I'm considering both cars, and the gas mileage thing might be a deal breaker with the war department (yes I know, I'm whipped.) Thanks
Old 10-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RJPoteet

Which one has the better gas mileage? Not that it would be a deal breaker, but I'm considering both cars, and the gas mileage thing might be a deal breaker with the war department (yes I know, I'm whipped.) Thanks
although technically a 6MT will get better gas mileage than an 5AT, you will tend to drive the 6MT more aggresively and your gas mileage will suffer greatly
Old 10-14-2004, 06:12 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

The Honda will give you better gas mileage than the Nissan. I say 2mpg more on average.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:42 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Strip the cars down to their humble origins, and a Honda is a Honda. A Nissan is a Datsun. Get it? And which F1 car has the Nissan engine in it? - I keep forgetting.

Nissan makes a good car, and they have fought their way back from the brink - which i respect - but Honda has never been even near the brink, and having my car be a "gussied up Honda" just rings truer and cleaner than a "gussied up Nissan". I owned a 1990 300ZX hardtop (no T-Top!!!), one of the few that they brought over here for racers, who wanted a rigid platform. With mods I made (sprinfs, shocks, Turbo oil cooler, power adder, etc) I had a rocket that looked unique - kinda miss it now and then, but the handling could not compare to the S2K. Plus, like nearly every Japanese design, after a while the looks get old on Nissan - I hink the TL will always be regarded as a nice design, from every angle. The Maxima already looks a bit upside down to me, the Altimas clear tailights scream 1998 or too much money spent at the 'Zone, and so forth.

I think the best Nissan ever made was the 1991 Stanza with the 2.4L four - buzzy, lots of torque down low, chain cams drive, and they run forever. I know a car guy who OWNED the first Datsun/Nissan dealership in Richmond, had a Porsche Turbo, BMW M5, the whole deal. He ended up buying 3 or 4 of the Stanzas because he wanted to simplify his life - wife, daughter and son all had one, plus Millard (The Mallard) himself. He wanted transportation that was cheap and indestructible.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:55 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Strip the cars down to their humble origins, and a Honda is a Honda. A Nissan is a Datsun. Get it? And which F1 car has the Nissan engine in it? - I keep forgetting.

Nissan makes a good car, and they have fought their way back from the brink - which i respect - but Honda has never been even near the brink, and having my car be a "gussied up Honda" just rings truer and cleaner than a "gussied up Nissan". I owned a 1990 300ZX hardtop (no T-Top!!!), one of the few that they brought over here for racers, who wanted a rigid platform. With mods I made (sprinfs, shocks, Turbo oil cooler, power adder, etc) I had a rocket that looked unique - kinda miss it now and then, but the handling could not compare to the S2K. Plus, like nearly every Japanese design, after a while the looks get old on Nissan - I hink the TL will always be regarded as a nice design, from every angle. The Maxima already looks a bit upside down to me, the Altimas clear tailights scream 1998 or too much money spent at the 'Zone, and so forth.

I think the best Nissan ever made was the 1991 Stanza with the 2.4L four - buzzy, lots of torque down low, chain cams drive, and they run forever. I know a car guy who OWNED the first Datsun/Nissan dealership in Richmond, had a Porsche Turbo, BMW M5, the whole deal. He ended up buying 3 or 4 of the Stanzas because he wanted to simplify his life - wife, daughter and son all had one, plus Millard (The Mallard) himself. He wanted transportation that was cheap and indestructible.
I think the best Nissan ever made was the 4th gen Maxima. Reliable, pretty quick, and extremely roomy. I loved that car and didn't have a single problem with it...except for hood struts. I've had Hondas too and have really enjoyed them. My fiance's civic runs great and we are looking to upgrade in a year or 2 (maybe to a TL). These two are my favorite affordable brands...Toyotas really don't have anything in the lineup that would interest me (being under 60 and all).
Old 10-15-2004, 08:38 AM
Advanced

If you can afford either car, the cost-to-own difference due to gas mileage is insignificant. Pick another aspect to sell either one, the beauty being that it's YOUR preference that wins out in the end.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:58 PM
Old timer

Just to answer the question, my CL TypeS got 26-28mpg, my G35Coupe gets 18-19mpg (though it is more city driving with the G, the CLS definitely got better mpg). I'd trade the mpg anyday though, to have the G over the 04TL, and that's what I did. =)

Old 10-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Racer

all i know is that my family has been with acura forever and now we switched to infiniti. Build quality and service is way better than acura in every way. I had a TL-S and had nothing but problems. Lately, acura build quality has been crap. It would take alot to sway me back to acura...
Old 10-18-2004, 01:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Move to Cars & Bikes now.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
no gas struts because the hood is aluminum? plenty of cars w/ aluminum hoods have gas struts. you are just pulling stuff out of...
and a barrier to prevent things from entering the passenger compartment? isn't that what the firewall is for?

you sound like a disgruntled g owner. if the g's interior materials are so great, why do so many people, tl owners or not , complain about it's poor quality? the g coupe is very nice to look at, but the interior is just a sore to most eyes.
Not a lot of cars have Alum. Actually Nissan is the only one who started it.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dwcolt
Sorry, but there's only one way to put it: the G35 interior is hideous. I like the overall lines of the car, but it's as if the interior designers decided to latch on to that awful "wedge" concept that permeates the entire Cadillac lineup. And the pop-up navigation screen?

To me, the TL interior is one of the finest designs I have ever seen. And no, I'm not talking about material quality, but overall ergonomic design. If the G35 interior weren't so hideous, I really would have considered the car as a worthy alternative. But when you put the two interiors head-to-head, there is really no comparison:
LOL. I sat in my friends TL recently again. I liked the interior of course (the looks), but it was falling apart. He had a ton of dents in his alum, headliner starting to fall, and rattles everywhere. When he sat in my G35, the first thing he said, wow these seats are nice! Oh and he even complimented my plastic painted part because it looks new after 20k and his looks old after 10k.

The G35 is just plainly built better, the TL isn't. For looks, the TL has it. Thats it.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:33 AM
Banned

Old 10-18-2004, 07:35 AM
Banned

Nah, I just find silver trim looks infinitely better with black interior than lighter interior colors.

Really? Never heard of it. I would be interested in free brakes whenever they wear out.

I doubt they wear out in 9.500 miles though
Mine just was replaced at 15k. Had 2mm left and that was mostly highway. When you get performance brakes they wear out faster. Just a lot of Luxury owners complained too much.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dseag2
You've obviously been sitting in your G35 too long and have been overcome by plastic fumes.
Cough, I do recall the TL haven't more plastic than our G35 does.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:38 AM
Banned

Without proof on your asummtion you are wrong. Because I even installed gas struts on my G35 hood, it flexed in the middle with the lightest strut I could get. Alum hoods can not use struts. It is not cheap because Infiniti used struts on the trunk when they didn't need too. lol

The TL interior is fantastic. It is common knowledge that is a place of opportunity for the G35. It pretty much NAILS everything else.

As for the ES interior, it offers REAL WOOD choices and is as well built as any car for any price.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:40 AM
Banned

My 6mt g35 gets 21-22 city and 26-28 highway (short drive highway..not a full tank yet.)

Quick Reply: Observations: 3 weeks w/G35 after TL