NTB Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,764 Likes on 804 Posts
NTB Sucks

I was not going to post this story, but I thought I should. I'll try to be brief.

To make a long story short....

I take the CL in for a new set of tires. I pick one of the best tires they have in stock (Yokohoma ES 100). I opt for the lifetime warranty and alignment.

I leave and notice that my car is drifting (not really pulling) to the left. I take my car back the next day and tell them. The technician tells me that that is the best that they could do and that they cannot do a certain adjustment for Honda's and Acura's. The sales guy's suggestion was to rotate the tires to correct it. I let them rotate them anyway. The problem appeared to have gotten better, however it was still not perfect.

I take my car back in and tell them that this is not acceptable because I will eventually have to rotate the tires again. The sales guy says that after a while the problem will correct itself . I finally convince him to put two new tires on my car (for the rear). They do not have them in stock, but they do have them at another store in town. I gave him 1 week to get the tires to his store.

I go back a week later and the tires are not there. I have to go to another store to get the tires mounted (with extreme opposition from the other store, but for brevity I'll leave out those details). I get the new tires mounted and drive back to work and my car is PULLING to the right

I call the first store and tell them what's going on and by this time I only want to speak to the manager. I asked to get those tires off of my car (since they thought it was the tires that was causing the issue). The only tires that they had in stock that were comparible to that tire was a Michelin and a Good Year ($50 and $20 more each, respectively). The manager said I would have to pay the difference. This is when I lost it.

I took my car into them the next morning and had the manager take me to work and keep my car until it rides like a car that has NEW TIRES AND AN ALIGNMENT. He picked me up after work and there were some Good Year Eagle RS-A's on it. Okay, fine. These tires were $20 more each than the Yokos. He did not charge me the difference. but now the wheel is vibrating at 60 mph. The manager told me that I may need new struts

The next week I took my car to DISCOUNT TIRE and had them do the balance on them (not rotate them). What-a-ya-know no more vibration. So I take my car back to NTB to attempt to get a reimbursement for the balance that I just paid for. Of course the manager said he couldn't do it. Whatever. I chalked this up as a loss. Not only for the cost of the balance, but the alignment and the warranty because I would not let NTB fill my tires with air let alone replace or repair them
Old 11-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,425 Likes on 3,031 Posts
They told me they couldn't do a similar adjustment, said they were seized up on my car, can't remember wth they are, i can dig up my receipts, but yeah. NTB sucks. Their normal service and warranty are aight, but their techs don't know a whole lot
Old 11-20-2006, 09:20 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the NTB near my works sucks bad too. The techs are retards, they actually look retarded. They could align my car right either. they flat out sucks bad. I would never go there again.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by sbuswell
the NTB near my works sucks bad too. The techs are retards, they actually look retarded. They could align my car right either. they flat out sucks bad. I would never go there again.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:02 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
uhh. not to sound like an idiot.. but what is a ntb?
Old 11-21-2006, 07:21 AM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
uhh. not to sound like an idiot.. but what is a ntb?
National Tire and Battery
Old 11-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I went to Mavis this weekend and got tires. They did good as far as that, but for some reason, they do a 'safety check' which involed them taking a look at my air filter (I just had a brand new K&N filter put in 3 days before) As Im driving home, I notice the car is loud. When I get home, I open the hood and the retard forgot to re-attach the filter cover and snap it shut, so the filter was sticking out. Sometimes, I dont know what people are thinking when they work on other people's cars. If it was their car, you know for damn sure they would not let anything like what happened to your car go without fixing it. Sucks that they gave you the run around
Old 11-21-2006, 07:25 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to Goodyear to get JUST my tires rotated and an alignment, and they said since I didn't have stocks on, they couldn't....
Old 11-21-2006, 07:28 AM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by ZtotallynakedZ
I went to Goodyear to get JUST my tires rotated and an alignment, and they said since I didn't have stocks on, they couldn't....
I'm sure that is good for store profitability.

You should have told them that several vehicles come with different size wheels (stock) due to different options.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,160 Likes on 5,189 Posts
unfortunately these types of problems exist with many tire shops...
Old 11-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Yes it is!

Originally Posted by pebecl97
I went to Mavis this weekend and got tires. They did good as far as that, but for some reason, they do a 'safety check' which involed them taking a look at my air filter (I just had a brand new K&N filter put in 3 days before) As Im driving home, I notice the car is loud. When I get home, I open the hood and the retard forgot to re-attach the filter cover and snap it shut, so the filter was sticking out. Sometimes, I dont know what people are thinking when they work on other people's cars. If it was their car, you know for damn sure they would not let anything like what happened to your car go without fixing it. Sucks that they gave you the run around
The Firestone I go to does the same thing. Drives me nuts when I go in there just to get a tire repaired and I watch them pop my hood open.

As far as NTB goes, that's crap. Glad I know to stay away from there from now on, thanks.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn.. i'm pretty faithful to discount and kauffman... The only time i ever went to NTB was when i had a buddy working there
Old 11-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by srika
unfortunately these types of problems exist with many tire shops...
but I want to bash NTB.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,160 Likes on 5,189 Posts
Originally Posted by knight rider
but I want to bash NTB.

you're begging the question, as it were.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:44 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i agree that NTB sucks, they couldn't balance my wheels for the life of them. ended up bringing it to a local ford dealership and they got it right the first time.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:38 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is nothing new with this company and guess what there customer service line doesn't care either

I had a situation with my explorer a little while back that made me vow to never go there again. https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/common-sense-question-about-wheel-balancing-349210/

FYI I am getting ready to change out my ES100's this week and will NEVER buy them again I wish you luck with them but they are crap tires. They grip great for the first few thousand miles and then its all downhill from there. Plus my car always had some sort of a pull with them which could never be fixed. Rotate the tires it goes away and then comes back a little later and I just keep going through that
Old 11-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by spdy0001
This is nothing new with this company and guess what there customer service line doesn't care either

I had a situation with my explorer a little while back that made me vow to never go there again. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349210

FYI I am getting ready to change out my ES100's this week and will NEVER buy them again I wish you luck with them but they are crap tires. They grip great for the first few thousand miles and then its all downhill from there. Plus my car always had some sort of a pull with them which could never be fixed. Rotate the tires it goes away and then comes back a little later and I just keep going through that
No kidding... I was looking at the ES 100's on Goodyear's website and they are one of their top of the line tires. I don't have any pull at all and they are as quit as the Michelins I had on my previous CL. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe now I have an excuse to go and get my 18's now.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:01 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by knight rider
No kidding... I was looking at the ES 100's on Goodyear's website and they are one of their top of the line tires. I don't have any pull at all and they are as quit as the Michelins I had on my previous CL. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe now I have an excuse to go and get my 18's now.
Goodyear

I had Yokohama ES100 tires
Old 11-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by spdy0001
Goodyear

I had Yokohama ES100 tires
Oh, sorry, I typed before a thought. You're right. Yoko ES100's. That would make what you said make more since.

I don't have them any more. I have Goodyear Eagle RS-A's
Old 11-22-2006, 08:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I guess I've been lucky with Sam's Club...
Old 11-23-2006, 08:06 AM
HMFIC

I only buy tires at the Tire Rack and I only get them mounted at a local shop that has great equipment and does excellent work. Also, those Yokes are not very good at all. I'm about to order the new Bridgestone RE960's. They ranked #1 at the Tire Rack for high-performance all-season tires.

Never cheap-out on tires! I burn through $1000 of motorcycle tires a year doing trackdays; however, it's the best way to stay safe!
Old 11-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by KilroyR1
I only buy tires at the Tire Rack and I only get them mounted at a local shop that has great equipment and does excellent work. Also, those Yokes are not very good at all. I'm about to order the new Bridgestone RE960's. They ranked #1 at the Tire Rack for high-performance all-season tires.

Never cheap-out on tires! I burn through $1000 of motorcycle tires a year doing trackdays; however, it's the best way to stay safe!
That's the thing. Those Yokos were not cheap (price-wise anyways)

When it come to my vehicles I never ever go cheap. At almost 6 y.o. my CL still drives like new because I always spend the money so that it never gets raggedy.

Oh, I know what you mean on the bike tires. I upgraded this year from the Dunlop 207's to the Qualifier's. I tested them out on the track a couple of weeks after I got them. Awesome tires.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:25 AM
Drifting

My dad is obsessive about tires, even with his big trucks. Im getting the Bridgestone RE960s as soon as I have time to have tires changed out lol. Tires really do make a difference, especially in a bad situation, and so far, fingers crossed, I haven't had a truely bad situation
Old 11-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Not all Yoks are bad. I'm very happy with my Avid V4S'.

For the Washington/Baltimore people, I recomend Mr. Tire for a reasonable price and decent service - at least at the couple of their shops I've been to.

Also very sorry to hear about the current state of NTB. It used to be the place to go when it was NTW. Tom Pumpelly, the founder & owner, was a racer and was VERY honest. Great prices and service. He sold it to Western Auto a number of years ago and I think it's been sold at least once again. The original corporate principles obviously didn't stick.