AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   NSX might be getting a lil brother... (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/nsx-might-getting-lil-brother-978713/)

Fibonacci 04-13-2019 09:23 AM

NSX might be getting a lil brother...

Soooo, I haven't posted in a while. Have been busy, plus my daily driver has been a '17 Golf R 6MT which I still thoroughly enjoy. But one of the knocks on it for me has always been the sub-par shift quality/rubbery feel of VW manual. Anywhoo, I noticed Civic Type R's are finally being sold at MSRP instead of ridiculous mark up so after a recent test drive it reconfirmed how glorious Honda manual's are and how I miss them dearly.

BUT, the wing. That wing. So bad. I can sort of live with the messiness of the design overall, but can't get past the lame wing. And second knock, I've had pothole induced bubbles in my 19' 35 series tires in the R so WTF was Honda thinking with 30 series rubber on 20's!!!???!!!

Thoughts? Anyone here with a Type R, please commence...

svtmike 04-13-2019 10:34 AM

I don't have one, but no way could I ever be seen in one.

Yuck.

charliemike 04-13-2019 01:22 PM

There are literally dozens of Type Ra for sale at CarMax.

mrmako 04-13-2019 02:44 PM

Could be worse.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...355cfe1a2f.jpg

nist7 04-13-2019 03:26 PM

@Fibonacci One of only a handful of AZiners that actually has the new gen NSX! :suite:

The CTR styling certainly is wild and out there. But from 2nd hand accounts, it appears to be a great driver's car and a great hot hatch. If you're the type of person who is purely DGAF and love the driving experience, then go for it!!! But it is also true that many need to be ok with the outward styling as well....I myself wouldn't completely rule out a CTR purely for styling if I were in a position to make such financial decision...

Rick_TL-S 04-14-2019 03:59 AM

We got one in at work, 10,000 or so miles. It's alright, spins in 1st and 2nd kind of surprisingly. It feels like a couple mods could open it up and make it a really fun weekend track car.

Midnight Mystery 04-14-2019 04:38 AM

I think the Si sedan is the best bang for the buck... But it has 100 less HP... :sad:

CCColtsicehockey 04-15-2019 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery (Post 16411166)
I think the Si sedan is the best bang for the buck... But it has 100 less HP... :sad:

Pretty sure with a Hondata Reflash you can get the SI much closer than 100hp away from the TypeR. Just a thought.

00TL-P3.2 04-15-2019 08:54 AM

Wasn't there mention of a CTR with a more subdued wing?

https://acurazine.com/forums/automot.../#post16265678

https://s.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dim...-r-red-9-1.jpg

Maybe hold out for when/if these debut?

Fibonacci 04-15-2019 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by mrmako (Post 16411036)
Could be worse.

:rofl: Deeelish!

Got the itch for some new wheels and my Golf R is now out of warranty. :run:

Fibonacci 04-15-2019 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey (Post 16411449)
Pretty sure with a Hondata Reflash you can get the SI much closer than 100hp away from the TypeR. Just a thought.

Other than the atrocious styling, the complete package of goodies is better IMHO. Plus I want my LED headlights back, don't think the Si has them. From what I've read, the rev hang issue doesn't exist in the CTR. I will miss having AWD though.

Midnight Mystery 04-15-2019 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey (Post 16411449)

I was just suprised by how much car you could get for the money when the Si debuted a couple of years ago... With Hondata, that would make for a fun, cheap get-around car! :D

iforyou 04-16-2019 12:44 AM

Hey man, coming from a NSX and wanna add a CTR, just ask me about it haha!

Here's my NSX and CTR:
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...9ca328d25d.jpg

You probably can't see it from the picture, but I actually got a bigger wing blade for my CTR:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...2922b31c06.jpg

As for the wheels, you can get a set of 4 front NC1 NSX rims. They are 19x8.5" ET 55 and are forged. The stock CTR 20" rims are also 8.5" with the offset being ET58, so they are very close and shouldn't affect the suspension geometry much. The 20" rims are heavy though at 29lb each. IIRC, the 19" NSX rims are about 20lb each. They are also quite reasonably priced at like $550 each considering that they are forged rims in OEM quality.

I wanted to fit 275 wide tires on mine and wanted to spend less money on tires, so I opted for a set of 18x9.5" forged rims instead.

iforyou 04-16-2019 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Fibonacci (Post 16411745)
Other than the atrocious styling, the complete package of goodies is better IMHO. Plus I want my LED headlights back, don't think the Si has them. From what I've read, the rev hang issue doesn't exist in the CTR. I will miss having AWD though.

Haha, yes! If you are serious about performance, the Si would not satisfy you for sure. You will end up spending a lot of money modding it and still not quite at the CTR level. The 1.5T is still an engine designed for fuel economy rather than performance. Then add in the trick front suspension, LED headlights, the brembo brakes, more features, etc, it's worth the "ugliness" IMO. :P

The CTR's transmission is fantastic and there's very little rev hang. It's there, but nowhere near the amount found in the Si. The shifting feel isn't as good as a S2000, but then again, I don't think there are many cars out there that can compete with the S2000 when it comes to shift quality and feel.

In daily driving, you don't see the rear wing. Honda designed it such that you won't really see it in your mirrors. So don't worry about seeing the big @$$ wing while driving...lol.

As for coming from the outside, then yes, the CTR would stand out for sure. But It's something that you will get used to in a month or two.

CCColtsicehockey 04-16-2019 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fibonacci (Post 16411745)

Absolutely agree the performance would be much better and I would want the overall CTR package as well. It would just be a much better drive I think. Yeah it would have been nice if the CTR was AWD.

CCColtsicehockey 04-16-2019 08:43 AM

That is a nice pair of cars you have there iforyou :thumbsup:

00TL-P3.2 04-16-2019 08:48 AM

:pimp:

Midnight Mystery 04-16-2019 11:33 PM

@iforyou :precious:

1killercls 04-17-2019 09:40 AM

Pass.

Fibonacci 04-17-2019 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou (Post 16411926)
Hey man, coming from a NSX and wanna add a CTR, just ask me about it haha!

:cheers: just joined da club.

You probably can't see it from the picture, but I actually got a bigger wing blade for my CTR:
:eek: I opted for wing delete, will post pics after my black CTR gets carbon paint protection this weekend.

As for the wheels, you can get a set of 4 front NC1 NSX rims. They are 19x8.5" ET 55 and are forged. The stock CTR 20" rims are also 8.5" with the offset being ET58, so they are very close and shouldn't affect the suspension geometry much. The 20" rims are heavy though at 29lb each. IIRC, the 19" NSX rims are about 20lb each. They are also quite reasonably priced at like $550 each considering that they are forged rims in OEM quality.
Interesting, hadn't thought of the NSX OEM front's as replacements. I'm shocked that they are that cheap as HMC charges more than a grand for the heavy 20's. I'm looking to sell mine anyone can PM me if they wish to pick up the full set with less than 12 miles. I bought OZ 18's on 245/45 series Pirelli P zero's out of the gate which weigh only 18 lbs. Wanted more sidewall for pothole protection but they are a touch too squishy, may keep them for winter wheels.

Overall, this car feels more substantial than the Golf R. I loved my time in the golf but as it was approaching almost 40k miles felt it was the right time to release. 17's were the last year before VW went to the 6yr/72k bumper to bumper warranty and would probably still have my R if it was still covered. I wish the CTR had more traction from a dig, but that is to be expected. Also the R had more useable torque, it takes longer for the CTR to build grunt but has better top end at the red line. Am still getting used to the proportions as the R had a smaller foot print and the belt line is higher so need to get more comfortable with the added dimension. It's weird, the R is heavier but the CTR feels more planted. No comparison in the shift quality, better brakes and more dialed in suspension overall. The CTR is a better car, i just wish it had SH-AWD too.

More to come, but pleased so far.

Yumcha 04-17-2019 08:46 PM

:pics:

Yumcha 04-17-2019 08:46 PM

Congrats, BTW! :cheers:

CLtotheTL32 04-18-2019 06:09 AM

Congratulations! Share some pictures :toocool:

00TL-P3.2 04-18-2019 09:53 AM

Definitely interested to see with the wing delete. Similar to what was posted in post #9, or no wing at all?

majin ssj eric 04-18-2019 11:56 PM

Seeing all these AZine members' amazing rides really has me wondering what the hell I'm doing wrong with my life.... :bawling:

civicdrivr 04-19-2019 01:37 PM

Congrats! I assume the wing delete is a dealer option?

Fibonacci 04-19-2019 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr (Post 16413795)
Congrats! I assume the wing delete is a dealer option?

I wish!!! Had a body guy remove wing, patch holes and repaint for just over a grand. Getting ceramic paint protection now and will get my car back on Sunday.

Fibonacci 04-19-2019 05:29 PM

Overlooked the spec sheet, don't really need ACC or LKA, but no blind spot monitors and rear cross traffic monitor is a letdown. Similar to the NSX, the C pillar blind spots are pretty bad.

Already miss VW's awesome back up camera which pops out, back to a barely visible/dirty/streaked camera view when the weather is crappy. Bummer!

iforyou 04-21-2019 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Fibonacci (Post 16412964)
:cheers: just joined da club.

:eek: I opted for wing delete, will post pics after my black CTR gets carbon paint protection this weekend.

Interesting, hadn't thought of the NSX OEM front's as replacements. I'm shocked that they are that cheap as HMC charges more than a grand for the heavy 20's. I'm looking to sell mine anyone can PM me if they wish to pick up the full set with less than 12 miles. I bought OZ 18's on 245/45 series Pirelli P zero's out of the gate which weigh only 18 lbs. Wanted more sidewall for pothole protection but they are a touch too squishy, may keep them for winter wheels.

Overall, this car feels more substantial than the Golf R. I loved my time in the golf but as it was approaching almost 40k miles felt it was the right time to release. 17's were the last year before VW went to the 6yr/72k bumper to bumper warranty and would probably still have my R if it was still covered. I wish the CTR had more traction from a dig, but that is to be expected. Also the R had more useable torque, it takes longer for the CTR to build grunt but has better top end at the red line. Am still getting used to the proportions as the R had a smaller foot print and the belt line is higher so need to get more comfortable with the added dimension. It's weird, the R is heavier but the CTR feels more planted. No comparison in the shift quality, better brakes and more dialed in suspension overall. The CTR is a better car, i just wish it had SH-AWD too.

More to come, but pleased so far.

Would the 245 45 18 tires be quite a bit larger in diameter than the stock 245 30 20 tires? I'm running 275 35 18 which is pretty much the same diameter as the stock tires. Even with these tires ( pilot sport 4s), it would still easily overwhelm the front wheels in second gear in the dry. Granted, I have a downpipe and Ktuner tune so that certainly doesn't help with traction. Hondata is available though and they have a very good traction control software built in. You should check it out if you want to fix your traction issue. You know how the ctr would cut power abruptly when you start spinning the tires to eliminate wheelspin? It works but really slows you down as it takes time for the boost to build up again and get going again. The hondata traction control doesn't cut boost at all. It's linear,smooth acceleration all the way to the redline. You don't feel the traction control working since it's so damn smooth and good at managing how much torque is going to the front wheels. Hondata actually has several patents with their traction control software.

Originally Posted by Fibonacci (Post 16413868)
Overlooked the spec sheet, don't really need ACC or LKA, but no blind spot monitors and rear cross traffic monitor is a letdown. Similar to the NSX, the C pillar blind spots are pretty bad.

Already miss VW's awesome back up camera which pops out, back to a barely visible/dirty/streaked camera view when the weather is crappy. Bummer!

Haha I'm in Canada and my ctr has the lake watch camera which I really like because of huge blind spot. I actually prefer it over the blind spot indicator in my Rdx. I agree that it would be nice to have rear cross traffic monitor. I'm getting around that by always backing into a parking stall lol. And yup, backup camera is useless in the rain.....VWs solution is genius.

SamDoe1 04-21-2019 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Fibonacci (Post 16413868)

The pop out camera is quite possibly my favorite feature of the Golf. :rofl:

Congrats on the new ride!

CCColtsicehockey 04-22-2019 06:06 AM

Congrats on the new ride. Sounds awesome. Can't wait to see your wing delete.

I had no idea VW had a pop out rear view camera. That is such a good idea why did it take so long cause you are right any regular camera is useless once dirty.

00TL-P3.2 04-22-2019 10:26 AM

MB does as well, pops down from the lip where the truck release/plate bulbs are. Always clean, unlike our Flex :ugh: Especially with how much rain we've had this year so far.

CCColtsicehockey 04-22-2019 12:46 PM

Now I wonder how hard it would be to design something like this for when I do the backup camera install on the NSX.

Fibonacci 04-23-2019 04:19 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...11463b3a03.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...f1cf18f892.jpg

kurtatx 04-23-2019 04:35 PM

Dang! Welcome back and congrats!

civicdrivr 04-23-2019 09:11 PM

Take some side shots!

CCColtsicehockey 04-24-2019 06:37 AM

That looks good. Would you pickup that low profile spoiler later if they release it as an option?

RPhilMan1 04-24-2019 04:54 PM

Are those parking lights or did it always have amber DRL? That looks like the turn signals.

Hmm looks a little naked to me without the wing. Almost like those STi owners that took off their wing.

Fibonacci 04-24-2019 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr (Post 16415562)
Take some side shots!

Is this better? I'm not a glamour shot guy. Need to take it back in for a repaint because my detailer removed some paint along with adhesive when he was debugging. I'll try to take some better pics after its cleaned up.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...c1fc99d054.jpg

Fibonacci 04-24-2019 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey (Post 16415664)
That looks good. Would you pickup that low profile spoiler later if they release it as an option?

Thanks. And no the the spoiler. My preference is for a clean look. I'd prefer less in the way of ground effects too, but supposedly all everything is functional.

I do miss the under the radar look of my former Golf R. It got zero attention from the 5-0 and now I constantly get challenged by Mustangs etc. It will very very difficult to not get a speeding ticket in this puppy.