Old 02-23-2011, 09:06 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
WE STILL NEED PICS OF SAID DAUGHTER
Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
I thought those cars were original cars that were in bad shape, which were then, restored and in some cases modified with things such as larger more modern engines, air conditioning...etc.

So the Mustang you might build is a kit car?

Some restomods are, but for the most part they start out as very basic with little collectibility and modified from there. It's not surprising to have nothing really but a period correct body on a modern chassis with a current powertrain. I've seen some cars that were restomodded that started out as a rare piece, but this isn't at all common. In today's marketplace, a car with any historical significance can still be restored with period correct pieces that still allow it to be considered original (or close to it).

Restomods are a relatively new component of the car hobby. Some of them sell for big money (always the ones shown on TV), but many of them sell for nowhere near their initial investment. I guess it's much like a restored car: Those that are restored properly bring the good money, the majority, however, struggle to recoup their restoration costs.

Terry
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Good to see you got that as the first post on the second page friesm

Jesstzn, it's nice to see you have a daughter that truly appreciates cars, it looks like a beauty
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by friesm2000
WE STILL NEED PICS OF SAID DAUGHTER
I'll send you over to ask her hubby ... he is 6'0" and 260 .. she is too old for you anyway .. mid 30s...
Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Aman

Jesstzn, it's nice to see you have a daughter that truly appreciates cars, it looks like a beauty
Ya she has been into them for years .. she was even on our pit crew when we raced dirt cars.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

What colour red is that Jesstzn? It kind of looks like a really nice light burgundy.

Terry
Old 02-23-2011, 09:17 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I'll send you over to ask her hubby ... he is 6'0" and 260 .. she is too old for you anyway .. mid 30s...
6' 3' here

and as far as age :shakehead; wife is 31, so age does not really matter
Old 02-23-2011, 09:19 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,844 Likes on 3,753 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
Some restomods are, but for the most part they start out as very basic with little collectibility and modified from there. It's not surprising to have nothing really but a period correct body on a modern chassis with a current powertrain. I've seen some cars that were restomodded that started out as a rare piece, but this isn't at all common. In today's marketplace, a car with any historical significance can still be restored with period correct pieces that still allow it to be considered original (or close to it).

Restomods are a relatively new component of the car hobby. Some of them sell for big money (always the ones shown on TV), but many of them sell for nowhere near their initial investment. I guess it's much like a restored car: Those that are restored properly bring the good money, the majority, however, struggle to recoup their restoration costs.

Terry
hmm... interesting. Well what about all of sparkling nearly perfect examples that are shown on the Barrett Jackson auto auction? Some of those are announced as "rotisserie" restorations...which I thought meant it was original frame on restoration.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:19 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Aman

still first page for me (got it set to 55 posts per page)
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

What colour red is that Jesstzn? It kind of looks like a really nice light burgundy.

Terry
Ya it is a burgundy but thats going to change .. right now its sitting on a rottisary all tore apart... will become more of a candy dodge P/U red with the hood & trunk stripes in a darker shade but ghost.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

hmm... interesting. Well what about all of sparkling nearly perfect examples that are shown on the Barrett Jackson auto auction? Some of those are announced as "rotisserie" restorations...which I thought meant it was original frame on restoration.

You'd be absolutely surprised pttl what you see at Barrett firsthand. Some cars there aren't really what they're made out to be.

Generally speaking, and this is generally, a rotisserie restoration means a car that has been put on a rotisserie to access the undercarriage. In some instances little work is required, other times the entire structure is replaced or corrected. In some circles, a rotisserie restoration generally means a unibody car. A frame off restoration however, still has the body, separate from the frame, on a rotisserie. In this instance it's up to interpretation. Generally, however, consider it a restoration that has included the underside of the car being accessed, repaired, refurbished, and then detailed. Also keep in mind that a lot of these concours restorations are far better than when the car was first manufactured.

Terry
Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Ya it is a burgundy but thats going to change .. right now its sitting on a rottisary all tore apart... will become more of a candy dodge P/U red with the hood & trunk stripes in a darker shade but ghost.
I like ghost stripes/flames. It just looks so subtle and elegant.

Terry
Old 02-23-2011, 09:45 PM
My first Avatar....

You'd be absolutely surprised pttl what you see at Barrett firsthand. Some cars there aren't really what they're made out to be.

Generally speaking, and this is generally, a rotisserie restoration means a car that has been put on a rotisserie to access the undercarriage. In some instances little work is required, other times the entire structure is replaced or corrected. In some circles, a rotisserie restoration generally means a unibody car. A frame off restoration however, still has the body, separate from the frame, on a rotisserie. In this instance it's up to interpretation. Generally, however, consider it a restoration that has included the underside of the car being accessed, repaired, refurbished, and then detailed. Also keep in mind that a lot of these concours restorations are far better than when the car was first manufactured.

Terry
Well, I've learned a bit here tonight. Thanks Terry.
I guess I'm always shocked by the prices those cars command on the auction.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Suzuka Master

You know .. this thread turned out absolutly great ... I thought I was going to get crapped all over for posting a pix of a Chev BB in an Acura forum... but its even been a learning experience for some.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
so how old are you then?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by nspec_ya4
so how old are you then?
Who me?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
I thought those cars were original cars that were in bad shape, which were then, restored and in some cases modified with things such as larger more modern engines, air conditioning...etc.

So the Mustang you might build is a kit car?
No, most restomods start with a common or basic car rather than a rare version, as Terry explained.

I would start with an original car and frame, but not with a rare variant or option line. With a '68 Mustang, I'd use a "regular" fastback that came with a 302 V8 as the basis for a modded car, rather than use a Mustang GT with a 390 or even rarer 427 V8.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Who me?
Yes.

We have no badge biases in Car Talk (minus all the M3 lovers), everybody is just an automotive enthusiast. I don't really frequent the rest of the board anymore to be honest.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HBaJ
Yes.

We have no badge biases in Car Talk (minus all the M3 lovers), everybody is just an automotive enthusiast. I don't really frequent the rest of the board anymore to be honest.
I'm 66
Old 02-24-2011, 11:38 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,087 Posts
Wow, what an awesome piece of machinery! Love the stance and wheels. And of course the engine looks killer. Can't wait to see it once it's repainted and debadged.

BTW, I think pttl was getting a restomod mixed up with a clone.

A restomod has newer, more modern components than what came stock, like bigger wheels, better brakes, lowered suspension, modded engine, etc. So this Camaro is a perfect example of that. The fact it has Z/28 badging IMO doesn't mean it's trying to be a clone because the other components are obviously not original stock parts.

A clone is restored to look like a rarer, more special model of that base model car. You'll see this a lot with Yanko themed Camaros, Chevelles and Novas, 426 Hemi Cudas that started off as 6 cylinders or 318s, Pontiac LeMans badged to be GTOs, Galaxies made to look like 427 Thunderbolts, Buick Skylarks originally equiped with 350s fitted with 455s and painted to look like GSXs, etc. They came from the factory as basic models, but they've been restored using either period correct or reproduction parts to look, sound and perform like the original, more desirable models of that car.

In both cases the price is dictated by the quality of parts/restoration. A lot of restomods command big money at B-J due to the uniqueness of their parts or superior quality of fit and finish. The clones that command big money usually have period correct parts and markings, and unless you know what the VIN numbers mean, you would have no clue it wasn't an original car.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Yes.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:16 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
Wow, what an awesome piece of machinery! Love the stance and wheels. And of course the engine looks killer. Can't wait to see it once it's repainted and debadged.

BTW, I think pttl was getting a restomod mixed up with a clone.

A restomod has newer, more modern components than what came stock, like bigger wheels, better brakes, lowered suspension, modded engine, etc. So this Camaro is a perfect example of that. The fact it has Z/28 badging IMO doesn't mean it's trying to be a clone because the other components are obviously not original stock parts.

A clone is restored to look like a rarer, more special model of that base model car. You'll see this a lot with Yanko themed Camaros, Chevelles and Novas, 426 Hemi Cudas that started off as 6 cylinders or 318s, Pontiac LeMans badged to be GTOs, Galaxies made to look like 427 Thunderbolts, Buick Skylarks originally equiped with 350s fitted with 455s and painted to look like GSXs, etc. They came from the factory as basic models, but they've been restored using either period correct or reproduction parts to look, sound and perform like the original, more desirable models of that car.

In both cases the price is dictated by the quality of parts/restoration. A lot of restomods command big money at B-J due to the uniqueness of their parts or superior quality of fit and finish. The clones that command big money usually have period correct parts and markings, and unless you know what the VIN numbers mean, you would have no clue it wasn't an original car.
quite true, and personally i rather have an restromod; then an actual clone, then i am not worried about it being "period correct"; and can basically stuff whatever engine/tranny combo in i want (i personally hate carburetors, i like my fuel injection, with being alot more programmable, and precise; FUCK when i was born, carburetors where already out of style, and single-point fuel injection was standard on almost every car out there

BTW: OP still need pics of SAID DAUGHTER
Old 02-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
You know .. this thread turned out absolutly great ... I thought I was going to get crapped all over for posting a pix of a Chev BB in an Acura forum... but its even been a learning experience for some.
Yeah, there are a fair share of auto-bigots on this site that seem to think foreign cars are the only ones worth having. Personally, I prefer to look at American offerings first before trying elsewhere. Ford is now one of the top rated car companies in the world and thank God they didn't take any taxpayer money. I admire anything that's good.... the days of being strict brand; well that's for kids.

And thanks so much for showing us your daughter's fine piece of machinery. Good for you and her. (BTW, I'm 65)
Old 02-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by friesm2000

BTW: OP still need pics of SAID DAUGHTER
Old 02-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes.

We have no badge biases in Car Talk (minus all the M3 lovers), everybody is just an automotive enthusiast...

Jesstzn That BB Camaro looks awesome! Many times have I wanted/imagined a gray restomod with independent rear suspension and 18/10 CCW's all the way around.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 PM
My first Avatar....

Yep. Great thread. Thanks to all you car guys for letting me in on the restored car world....well a little ways anyhow.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:30 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,512 Posts
Here's a restomod of a 1970 Bud Moore Boss Mustang 302, it was owned by a friend and his partner and raced in the mid-Atlantic region. I believe it started out as a Boss 302 street and was restored/mod'ed into a Bud Moore replica. They bought it used and sold it a few years later. I'm not sure of the exact financials but I believe they sold it for a slightly more than they paid for it and they they did put some money into some more mod's. One thing is my friend actually got a hold of Moore and he was friendly enough to give them some technical info on the original Boss 302's.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-24-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 PM
B A N N E D

personally i rather do something like this, and start from fresh (whole new body)
http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...Metal/body.htm

i know it is kinda expensive, but most of the money, if not all can be recouped just in sheetmetal work (ie: not having to repair rust), but also in the paint prep, since it should already be basically straight (since you know it will not have had any prior accidents)
Old 02-25-2011, 06:48 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
I want to one day raid the stocks of Year One and build a 69 RS/SS from scratch, with all new parts. Perhaps if I win the lottery, but then I guess I could buy the real thing.