Nissan Xterra

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan Xterra

My girlfriend is thinking about buying a new Xterra and asked me to look for a website like this with a ton of helpful info, does anyone know of one? Or does anyone have any helpful advice on this suv? She is looking at a 2005 SE 4X2. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-30-2005, 12:13 AM
Beware of leakage

www.edmunds.com

My sister's Boyfriend just bought an 02. It's ok I guess, not sure on trim level, I don't like him, so I need not care
Took my dog to the Vet today in it, and it seems to ride ok.

I hear that they are rated the most horrible in terms of gas mileage.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:20 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My uncle has a 2k Xterra SE. It's a great truck. The V6 (170hp) that was offered was a little underpowered though. Than they came out with a supercharged one (210hp).

The new ones has much more power. 265hp 4.0 liter V6. I would get it with 4WD instead of just 2WD.
Check out freshalloy.com.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:21 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
xterra is a trendy SUV. Definitely a chick ride. Not a good choice read up on them they are rated near the bottom on all comparo's in this market segment for mid sized SUV's. Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Nissan Murano, Subura Tribeca, and so on and much better vehicles and I think look better too and are near her price range. I would try to sway her from getting into an X-terra.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sbuswell
xterra is a trendy SUV. Definitely a chick ride. Not a good choice read up on them they are rated near the bottom on all comparo's in this market segment for mid sized SUV's. Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Nissan Murano, Subura Tribeca, and so on and much better vehicles and I think look better too and are near her price range. I would try to sway her from getting into an X-terra.
Xterra competes with smaller SUVs such as CR-V, RAV4, Escape, Liberty, etc, not midsize SUV's like you mentioned. And the new '05 Xterra is much better then the older one. The new one shares a smaller version of the Titan's chassis and out powers pretty much everything in it's class and all of the SUV's you listed.

BTW, where are the comparos for the '05 Xterra cause I haven't seen any yet.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:13 PM
I6

Xterra a chick ride? I don't think so.

The Pilot should be compared to the Pathfinder, 4Runner, etc.
Highlander and Murano are based on Camry and Altima.
How is the Murano near her price range? The base Murano costs more than the base Xterra SE.

The 1st gen Xterra is based on the Frontier pick-up. This new Xterra is based on a modified version of the F-Alpha, which the Armada and Titan uses.
If you want a SUV based on a truck chassis, get the Xterra. Want one based on a car chassis, get the Highlander or Murano.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:31 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
freshalloy.com is a Nissan site
Old 06-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,309 Likes on 962 Posts
I just read the review by C&D on the Xterra and you guys are absolutely correct regarding competitors and truck platform. It did rate at a lowly 15mpg by their actual review. Unfortuantely they tested a 4wd 6mt version so the auto should suck out more. The 6mt with the new 4.0 liter got them a 15.8 1/4 mile. A 2wd will yield what, like 2 mpg?

The original did very well so Nissan didn't mess with it too much. They gave it a smoother ride and better engine but C&D tested the off-roading one so the ride was somewhat stiff. They recommended a Pathfinder if you want a smooth ride but of course that's more coin. The car does seem to be very utility friendly and sizable which explains its good sales performance.

It is a little pricey starting in the $20's now. For that money, I might prefer for myself a 3 row Highlander since it has a smoother ride, Toyota reliability, and I'm not sure of the gas mileage.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:08 AM
I6

Originally Posted by fast-tl
freshalloy.com is a Nissan site

Yea, Nissan makes the Xterra.
What's your point?
Old 07-01-2005, 06:12 AM
Everyday Joe

The X is what it is...a trucky SUV. It is not meant to be a suburban cruiser. It's built to actually be taken off-road. I'm quite sure that Nissan would consider it's demographic to be the X-Games, outdoorsy type. Soocer moms need not apply. It's asinine to compare it to a Highlander, Pilot, Pathfinder, etc.

Personally, I love the new look. I have not driven it but plan to just for kicks. I say if your woman likes it, go for it....just make sure that she understands what she is buying
Old 07-01-2005, 07:43 AM
I6

"Everything you need, nothing you don't"
Old 07-01-2005, 01:57 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by keg1997
The X is what it is...a trucky SUV. It is not meant to be a suburban cruiser. It's built to actually be taken off-road. I'm quite sure that Nissan would consider it's demographic to be the X-Games, outdoorsy type. Soocer moms need not apply. It's asinine to compare it to a Highlander, Pilot, Pathfinder, etc.

Personally, I love the new look. I have not driven it but plan to just for kicks. I say if your woman likes it, go for it....just make sure that she understands what she is buying
I agree. It makes no sense to put up those comparison suv's... you can't offroad with those. Xterras are essentially made for off road fun.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Team Owner

Actually I just read an article also where they were offroading a Pathfinder and other larger SUV's.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doom878
It is a little pricey starting in the $20's now. For that money, I might prefer for myself a 3 row Highlander since it has a smoother ride, Toyota reliability, and I'm not sure of the gas mileage.
again, u can't really compare these two suvs...u wont be anywhere near off-road with the smoother, 3 row highlander...u'll be in a 4 cyl highlander for sure at low $20s

Xterra is good at what it is....if not, better than anything else in its price range, IMO
Old 07-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Safety Car

I'd test drive it to find out what your girl finds acceptable vs any other makes.

http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia...5/xterra.shtml
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/forums.html
Old 07-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
again, u can't really compare these two suvs...u wont be anywhere near off-road with the smoother, 3 row highlander...u'll be in a 4 cyl highlander for sure at low $20s

Xterra is good at what it is....if not, better than anything else in its price range, IMO
Who's comparing Highlanders to Xterras? All I said was for that money what my preference would be. I don't care for offroading and we don't even know if his gf does either. Regardless I'd rather have a Highlander even if I4. My original post was just giving background on the X. The last paragraph was what I'd do with that money.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:32 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
the xterra is good for what it is. not your nornal suv. it was built to get dirty and to abuse it
Old 07-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the input. She likes the xterra because the way it looks. I don't think she will ever really put it to the test on its off road capabilities. She is looking at the 4X2 just to save about $1000 or so over the 4X4, I would rather her get the 4X4 just for saftey reasons even if it is some more coin. This would be her first rear wheel drive vehicle and its got some power, so would you guys recommend the 4X4?
Thanks,
Dan
Old 07-02-2005, 06:15 PM
has been here awhile

Lightbulb Did I get carried away?

I own an Xterra and absolutely love it. You have to take it for what it is--a genuine no-frills SUV/Truck. I have a first-gen 5-speed 4x4 SE in Solar Yellow. In other words, a top-of-the-line Xterra. There's no leather or electronic gadgets and gizmos, but it suits me just fine. Like someone's already said (and like Nissan used to advertise): "everything you need, nothing you don't."

The exterior design is subjective, but I feel it is pretty cool looking. I like mine in that it is a two box design--it's obviously an SUV. The tubular roof-rails and side-steps set the trend for the SUV market, and the notched roofline (is it called an Alpine roof...or is that the name for the LR Disco's skylights?...anyway...) adds some character to the vehicle. And who can forget the notched tailgate for the first-aid kit. Further, it is very much iconic. When people ask what I drive, they may ask "what is that?", but as soon as they see it, they all say, "Ohhhh...that's what those are called". Or all I have to say is that I drive a yellow SUV and they all recognize it. Call me a posuer, but I love the young, fun-loving, adverturous image this SUV projects.

The interior is nice, but nothing to write home about. I've found my seats to be lacking in lumbar support and the dash is formed out of hard plastic. But I feel perfectly fine throwing things into the back and it was perfect for hauling all of my stuff back and forth between college. I always get comments on how the rear seat sits nice and high--people really like the "theater" style seating. And the pop-up sunroof is pretty fun (though I think this isn't available in the G2 Xterra). I've had no mechanical problems with the thing--it runs absolutely flawlessly. However, interior/exterior trims pieces and parts have been a little bit lacking in the quality department. Nothing outrageous...but just a few little niggles and glitches here and there. I think Nissan has pushed quality up a little bit in the new Xterra, though it still isn't stellar.

Drivetrain and performance wise, I also love it. Remember: take it for what it is. My engine is not incredible smooth or refined, but it's a good SUV V6. It's a tad bit slow, but not anemic. Torque is pretty good, but still...nothing to write home about. The engine is a good fit for the vehicle--just think of it as a relaxed college student The 4x4 system is great. I lived on a hill and needed four wheel drive for climbing the snowy road home...it performed great. The low-range was great as well, for icy descents. I know that this is a very capable SUV. To see how much so, check out www.xterraownersclub.com (I'm a member there--same user ID) The site seems to be pretty helpful, just be sure you do a search before you post, otherwise you will be martyred (drives me nuts).

In conclusion, I've been extremely happy with my Xterra. Would I go get the next-gen Xterra? Probably not...the changes are not drastic enough to make me crave one. The design is too similar to mine and I personally would like a more refined vehicle next time around. However, I don't know that I'm willing to sacrifice the character and attitude of this SUV. It's plenty comfortable and a lot of fun, and I accept that. I don't regret buying one and would do it all over again.

Hope this helps--best of luck in the search.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:22 PM
has been here awhile

Picture

Just for fun, here's a picture of my ride.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:25 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by DanUC
Thanks for the input. She likes the xterra because the way it looks. I don't think she will ever really put it to the test on its off road capabilities. She is looking at the 4X2 just to save about $1000 or so over the 4X4, I would rather her get the 4X4 just for saftey reasons even if it is some more coin. This would be her first rear wheel drive vehicle and its got some power, so would you guys recommend the 4X4?
Thanks,
Dan
if you live any where near snow, yes, that tail end loves to kick out on the frozen crap
Old 07-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Team Owner

Great review!