New York debuts - IS350, GS450h, Scion T2B, 325I......

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 09:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New York debuts - IS350, GS450h, Scion T2B, 325I......

http://www.autoshowny.com/vehicle/ga...ml?debuts-2005
Old 03-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
imma be there 2day to chack it outs.

Stay Tuned for pics
Old 03-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
No new coupe from Acura
Old 03-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

The Charger Police car looks hot.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:15 AM
04 remembrance

The Scion T2B looks ridiculous.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:44 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Meh...
Old 03-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Those two Lexus's are really starting to grow on me. Need to go see one in person but everytime I look at them they start looking better and better.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Old 03-25-2005, 03:24 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
damn is scion bringing out another box car?
Old 03-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
IS350 is amazing! I wish I could see it in person!
Old 03-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

the inside of that new scion looks A LOT like a time machine. looks funny and retarded at the same time. i was in the acura section and there was nothing new. just the RL A-Spec concept

the show wasnt all that for the japanese and german cars. the most attention was the american (dodge charger and all the ford mustang and shelby cobra)
Old 03-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I went today. The IS was on a pedestal and we couldn't get to see it up close, so I can't comment much on it. It's a compact car no doubt about it. I can't say the styling is great, in person it looks sterile compared to the new 3-Series and the metal color wasn't doing much to help it.

Went to the 3 Japanese midsize luxury sedans. I have to say, the RL's interior, in terms of design, is simply ahead of the Infiniti M35/45 and especially the Lexus GS. Unfortunately, I was disappointed by the plastic aluminum inside the car. It's warm, not cold, to the touch. I can see where Edmunds faulted the RL's interior when it comes to some of the materials used. The plastic on the center console was thick and had a matte finish to it; hardly cheap. The exterior was handsome. The paint was exquisite. Although, when compared with the Civic, the engineers must not have paid much attention to panel gaps. While not egregiously bad, I was expecting tighter panel gap tolerances, given Honda's obsession with improving that area of interest when the current Civic was first released. The window glass was flush with those black plastic things on the window.

The interior was just as roomy as the other midsizers (although I still felt the BMW 5-Series made the greatest use of interior space, it felt the most spacious, by marginal comfort points).

The Infiniti M had the matte wood, which I didn't like. I didn't like the interior design either. Again, the curtain leather on the doors is just too 1990s. The scuff plates on the doors had Infiniti (only for the front passengers) on them and they light up.....orange (which I again did not like). Plastics were of high quality. And ironically, everyone rags on Infiniti for using cheap materials, but getting back to the topic of plastic aluminum, Infiniti and Audi were the only two who are now not using it. G35's aluminum is authentic...it was cold to the touch. Sat in the new Mercedes M SUV...the "aluminum" trim is plastic, so were the ones in all the Lexus cars (yes, even the venerable flagship LS), and BMW's too. I didn't like the LED lights on the M, the RL's lights are better with their arrangement of the individual LEDs (they were just in two circles on the M's lights). The M looks really big from the outside, but that didn't translate well when you went inside. It had an aggressive look to it. The taillights, final time I'm going to say this, is ridiculously huge. They stand out in a bad way, IMO.

On to the Lexus GS. The cars on display had the red wood interiors, but it wasn't the same wood that was seen in the press photos. I really can't say I like the interior, it just had too much plastic spanning the enter dash that made their way to the top of the doors. And the design is just plain looking. The center console is high, so the shifter in turn looked stumpy and it feels like you're walled into your spot. Acura should take a cue from Lexus and bring their best equipped models to the show. Both of the GS that you were allowed to sit in (couldn't sit in the GS450H) had the wood steering wheel; the RLs on display did not come equipped with the optional wood steering wheel and wood shift knob (which probably would've been twisted off anyways, as all the Acura models were missing shift knobs). Is Lexus slipping here...some of the plastics used did not feel too high quality.

Also sat in the MB E350. This is the old man of the group now, even if a surface is covered with leather (such as the armrest on the door), it felt as if there was no padding underneath, so it was hard, compared with the cushy ones from the Japanese. The rear windows had manual sunshades, just like the RL. I don't recall that being there on the E320. The star on this car's hood is probably what's moving sales, because I cannot see how someone who've sat in the other cars would pick this one. The plastics used in various spots is questionable. The LED lights for the rear is like the Acura TL's. They light up with that fuzzy look, not the sharp look on the RL LEDs, or the LEDs from Infiniti.

The 5-Series, again, makes great use of interior space. It felt more comfortable to sit in than all the others, especially the backseats. I didn't appreciate the interior design, though. Exterior design, we've all seen it, you either like it or you don't. I didn't find it that bad.

Honda should at least have somebody standing near the Ridgeline if they want to impress the audience. Everybody examining the truck was so startled when I opened up the tailgate sideways and opened the trunk.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anything new from honda/acura?
Old 03-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dabuda
anything new from honda/acura?

nothing new from acura except for the RL A-Spec

onlything new from honda was the new civic si concept which didnt catch much attention

BTW, if anyone go, there should be 3 HOT chick working for Dodge. they are in the voting booth to take votes on the favotite color of the new charger.